5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stereo upgrade question for '03 Max SE ... help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stereo upgrade question for '03 Max SE ... help

I have a 03' Max SE with stock headunit (non-Bose). I have no issues with the stock unit, so far it has been trouble free BUT it has no preamp outputs, it has limited functionality, not very high quality and etc. I would like to upgrade it so i have some preamp outputs and i can expand/improve the rest of my sound system.

Since the stock unit has a very unusual shape and size i am not sure how to upgrade it so my car still looks nice inside. I want to get something that would like right, not totally our of place.
Which headunit would be my best choice? What have you used that looks and works nice in your Maximas? I know that most likely i would need some kind of fit kit that will allow me to install an aftermarket unit. IS this true and if so...where can i get this kit from? I know that the steering controls can be fixed if i buy another adapter for them, so this is clear already - i am not concerned about the steering.

If you have pictures, please post so i can see how your aftermarket stereo setup works and looks. I need any info you can provide me with.

My budget is not unlimited, so lets not talk about headunits that will cost me 4 digits. I just need to have affordable stereo with preamp outputs and decent looking face on my dash. It has to fit in my car.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-2004, 12:08 PM

Theres an Audio forum for this topic...FYI

There are three aftermarket dash piece to fill the void with a single din HU
Scosche- color/fit sucks-but full pocket
Metra- black and only a 1/2 din pocket
GXEtrim- $90 from nissan, full pocket-perfect dash match

I have the Metra-check my homepage for pics/ideas
Old 06-24-2004, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

They make converters for the stock units to provide you with RCA outs from your stock stereo. It doesn't provide the best quality, but it'll save you the hassle of doing your dash.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Clay
They make converters for the stock units to provide you with RCA outs from your stock stereo. It doesn't provide the best quality, but it'll save you the hassle of doing your dash.

I have one of these converters....got it form Crutchfield. It works, but i am really not convinced that i am getting good quality from it. I still get all the noise introduced by the speaker channels and etc. Plus...if the stock stereo has bad signal to noise ratio and crappy channel separation, i would never be able to get my system clear and crisp even if i put the best amp and speakers out there. Correct me if i am wrong... i wish i am wrong.

Thank for your advice.

I still would like to hear what setups some of you have here...anyone who has upgraded to an aftermarket unit.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm currently doing the stereo in my 03 SE maxima. I got the Metra trim piece, it comes in a mat black color, so painting it is sort of needed if you want it to actually look somewhat normal. I was hoping to find one without a pocket but unfortunately I couldn't find one.
Also about the RCA conversion. You're definately going to get a degrading of signal quality, its inevitable when you do a conversion like that.
If you're looking for head units that match the car I found that Eclipse makes good stuff that matches pretty well (I have a super black maxima with the charcoal interior). I'm probably going to get the 8454, but from what I hear they're all very good and not that expencive. (www.eclipse-web.com)
Old 06-25-2004, 02:09 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

I am currently running a 4 channel Eclipse and a 2 channel MTX amp in my car with the OEM non-Bose. The RCA signal is relayed through two High level converters and I don't feel that I'm losing much in sound quality. If I am, when it comes the time that I upgrade to an aftermarket head unit, I will be VERY happy if it sounds better than it does currently.