5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bose Woofer Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 06:37 AM
GuamMax

My Bose woofer rattles at certain very low frequencies in songs that have a lot of drums (i.e. Blue Man Group or Stings newest CD). I don't blast the music it occurs as low as 25% volume. I got the dealer to replace it but the new woofer is starting to have this problem again. I'm starting to think there is a design flaw that promotes poor installation. The woofer is much bigger than earlier generation Max woofers. Anyone else have this problem? I'm considering going to an audio shop to fix this since Nissan doesn't really have the expertise.

Old 03-31-2001, 07:03 AM

Bose Rattles

GuamMax, I have had the same concerns about the bose rear deck rattles. I did some insulating of components on the rear deck which helped a bit, but I still have rattles at different sound levels. The rear deck on the Maxima is to thin which results in rattles. Most of the rattles I hear are the components attached to the rear deck that are rattling. If you learn of any other fixes let us know. Here's a link to a discussion that we had here a short time ago.
https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...highlight=bose
Old 03-31-2001, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by GuamMax
My Bose woofer rattles at certain very low frequencies in songs that have a lot of drums (i.e. Blue Man Group or Stings newest CD). I don't blast the music it occurs as low as 25% volume. I got the dealer to replace it but the new woofer is starting to have this problem again. I'm starting to think there is a design flaw that promotes poor installation. The woofer is much bigger than earlier generation Max woofers. Anyone else have this problem? I'm considering going to an audio shop to fix this since Nissan doesn't really have the expertise.
Mine does this real bad too, and it seems like its getting worse.. I'm only at 5,000 miles and the distortion is definitely annoying.. did they give you a hard time when you brought it back?
Old 03-31-2001, 12:19 PM

yes, they all do it.

Mine rattles like crazy. As long as it is not blown, I have no worries. (leased)
Old 03-31-2001, 12:27 PM

I just noticed that my rear deck rattles most w/ Moby and U2. Ugh!!! Even turning down the volume doesn't help!
Old 03-31-2001, 08:42 PM

Bose Rattles

These are the rear deck components that are vibrating on my Maxima when I turn the Bose stereo up to medium to high volume.
1. Rear deck rattles
2. Seat belt retractor housings vibrate.
3. Trunk spring rod support clip rattles.
4. Trunk light bulb lens cover vibrates.

The best way to locate these sources of rattles is to turn the stereo up, open the trunk and and listen to where the noise and vibrations are coming from.
Old 03-31-2001, 09:02 PM

i had my entire trunk and rear deck dynomatted when i had my subs in...my subs aren't in there any longer and i have no rattles in my rear deck or trunk while listening to music...i remember somewhere around the $180 price range for the entire dynomat job...i used 2 rolls of 15 foot i think (i don't know...the common size that comes in a 3d triangle shaped box
Old 04-01-2001, 09:13 PM

hey guys,

This is the problem I had, there would be rattles when the speaker was on or not. When I put the volume loud, I would hear the rattles... so I thought dynomamtting would help. Anyways, I took it in the dealer and complained about the rattling, even when the radio is off.

They told me that "torsion bars were incorrectly installed and would be re-installed correctly" , guess from factory?

Woh, what "HUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGE" difference that made. I was blasting my dmx, chronic, any rap cd, and the speaker was holding hard and tight. "99% no rattling" ok maybe a trace.

Of course there will be some minor rattling, but no nuisance rattling.

Forget dynamatting, I dont need it now. The bose sub is awesome. I can really enjoy the system now. Nothing is wrong with the subwoofer itself, its the design around it I guess. You should be hearing very little rattle at all. Get it to the dealer now.

This was done about a month ago - march 1,01, and I hit the sub hard all the time when i drive, though I noticed a very minute amount of rattle now, but nothing like before.

2000 Maxima - buggy
Old 04-01-2001, 10:18 PM

odd, i parked my car and opened the trunk this afternoon to see where the rattles are coming from, but I just cannot find the source of it.

it's kinda annoying, but I guess i can live with it!
Old 04-02-2001, 04:54 AM

I looked myself this weekend in the trunk area. I don't think it rattles as much with the trunk open while playing music.