5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ZEX Nitrous installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 03:55 PM

How much is it to install No2?

and does anyone sell the kit for better than 595?
Old 03-31-2001, 07:09 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

I saw the Zex kit in Franco's car today. It really looks like its plug and play. There is one main control box with like 4 wires you have to hook up and then the nitrous lines. It seems simple enough. It also seems to work....indicated by the total lack of tread on Franco's front tires.
Old 03-31-2001, 09:14 PM

$595 is not a bad price. Its pretty much a complete kit. I talked to Zex. They said that the voltage is too low to make the system start sometimes, and one or two other issues that need to be worked around. Need to talk to someone that has it on a 5th gen, so I can get it or not. Zex was telling me how Turbo magazine did this to a 5th maxima, but it din't make that much power. like 35HP on the 50 shot.

I was very interested when I say/read about Zex.
Old 03-31-2001, 09:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Not that easy...

I have am here to tell you that it is not exactly plug and play. The kit calls for 4.2 volts of current going to the throttle body sensor to allow the zex kit to open up. Well the problem is that the maxima only gives 3.99999 volts at full throttle. Therefore you have to run a microswith or have someone turn the voltage up (which is not cheap nor easy). Anyway you have to make sure that the microswitch doesn't allow more than 6 volts to open the kit or you take a chance at ruining the kit. Another thing is that if you want to run anything besides the 55 shot you will need different spark plugs and a larger fuel pump to be safe. You will be able to run the kit on the 65 shot with out these other things but I wouldn't recommend it. Anyway I tried the install on mine and ran into all of these problems so I am going to the place where I bought it and they are going to help me with the install.

I can get the kit for 520 plus tax and shipping.
Old 04-01-2001, 01:06 AM

So with all those probs, wouldn't a basic NOS kit be better?
Old 04-01-2001, 07:07 AM

I have the same question about a non-Zex setup.

Also, isn't an external switch available where you can turn in on/off from the cockpit? Or does that only "arm it"?
Old 04-01-2001, 07:33 AM

yah i agree, everyone was telling me how much easier the ZEX nitrous is, safer, etc, etc...but doesnt sound like it from this
Old 04-01-2001, 11:08 AM

everyone has their own opinions about nitrous...while in chicago, i went to the only performace shop in the town i stayed in (evanston)...i talked to the guy there about nitrous and he told me not to get anything but NOS...he knew i wasn't going to buy from him or get it installed there since i told him my car was in arizona...he seemed to give me his honest opinion...he said the zex kit doesn't make much hp (such as in turbo magazine...i don't want to pay $800 (incl. install) for something that adds 20hp)...he also told me that the venom kit isn't very good either and the venom race car uses NOS nitrous, not their own venom kit...NOS has been around the longest and is the cheapest...i've heard you can get the kit in the $300 range...if i can find it that cheap i'll probably buy it...i'm thinking about a 50 shot now...i was just reading this guy henry's webpage who had a 75 shot and he said on there he was taking everything off the car because of problems (don't know exactly what)...he had nitrous express

go to a bunch of different shops and i'll bet you will get at least 10 different answers and 10 different reasons why not to get the other brands
Old 04-01-2001, 06:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sure...

Well I am going to finish the installation this wednesday. And my opinion on the questions that have been brought up, well I do think that the zex kit is safer for multiple reasons. But I do think that the other kits are easier and probably more productive. I chose the zex kit for my own personal reasons. Also MrBurner, did the guy you talked to inform you of all the accessories that are needed to run the nitrous safely. Probably not, It really doesn't matter what kit you go with you are going to end up spending at least somewhere around $600 to $700. And that is going the cheap way out. I spent somewhere around $850 for all the things that I needed to run it safely. Also to the other question asked about the switch in the cockpit. Yes there is a switch but it is for arming the kit. You can run another switch to bypass the zex module that will enable you to activate the nitrous manually, but then why would you by the zex kit!
Old 04-01-2001, 06:33 PM

I was thinking of a switch to overcome the voltage issue, which means the kit won't work at all right out of the box, which is an advantage of the Zex kit.
Old 04-01-2001, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
I was thinking of a switch to overcome the voltage issue, which means the kit won't work at all right out of the box, which is an advantage of the Zex kit.

so the ZEX kit is the only one that goes on when it hits a certain RPM? i am interested in NOS and i read a bunch of stuff about them but i am really confused... which is the kit that u just arm in the car and after u arm it it knows when to spray itself at the right rpm or something... anyone have any info i can read about the various kits? maybe pros and cons of each? that would be really cool... cause it seems that this is the cheapest way to get the real speed...

how would u compare this to lets say a supercharger? is this worse for the car than a supercharger? from which do u get more power from? because i like the idea that u dont have to pump it manually and engage it manually... if it activates itself then its cool... please lemme know
thanks

-danny
Old 04-01-2001, 11:04 PM

you can set both of them up however you want...usually NOS is setup to only go on at WOT, but you can set it up differently (takes a lot of knowledge to do this, though)
Old 04-02-2001, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by MrBurner
you can set both of them up however you want...usually NOS is setup to only go on at WOT, but you can set it up differently (takes a lot of knowledge to do this, though)

do u know where i can find out about this stuff? also can u put a bigger bottle that lets u do more than 4 - 5 minutes of it? i was reading on the ZEX site that there bottle only allows that much... ok i dont mind it going on at WOT actually... just the thing is i WOT it a little too often but u can disable it right?
Old 04-02-2001, 07:41 AM

there is a switch near the drivers seat (anywhere you want) and only when this switch is armed, nitrous will flow at WOT...most companies sell 10lb. bottles but with many nitrous setups you can easily run as many bottles as you want...i'm pretty sure that buying another bottle is cheaper than buying a whole other kit, but i'm not completely sure how much the bottles go for...you should never run the nitrous for 4-5 minutes anyways...its just meant for a sudden boost...like during a race, turn it on and most races only last under a minute...so be sure to turn it off after the race
Old 04-02-2001, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by MrBurner
there is a switch near the drivers seat (anywhere you want) and only when this switch is armed, nitrous will flow at WOT...most companies sell 10lb. bottles but with many nitrous setups you can easily run as many bottles as you want...i'm pretty sure that buying another bottle is cheaper than buying a whole other kit, but i'm not completely sure how much the bottles go for...you should never run the nitrous for 4-5 minutes anyways...its just meant for a sudden boost...like during a race, turn it on and most races only last under a minute...so be sure to turn it off after the race

ye but i mean i dont wanna keep running back and forth from the store u kno? but like sometimes a race might be over a minute... lets say even 4-5 minutes like on the highway or something... doesnt matter... is it bad for the car to run it for soo long?? How bad is nitrous for the car in general?