5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Insurance Coverage for HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 02:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Insurance Coverage for HIDs

I was considering getting the 2k2 headlights but I live in Jersey and I hear they get jacked a lot back home( in VA for the summer). I have a 2000, and if someone jacks them does anyone know if insurance will cover them? My guess is no...any comments?
Old 07-02-2004, 03:13 AM
Ben

They are not original equipment. Most insurance will not cover it. You can add them to your plan specifically but they will probably increase your rates at least a little.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:22 AM

Deductible

Even if you get them covered, remember the deductible and the rate hike you'll potentially get as a result of the claim. Usually not worth filing. This is what all insurance companies want..... opp to raise rates, deductibles, not worth filing.. Insurance = crooks
Old 07-02-2004, 03:30 AM

why do you want to add them that bad, knowing that theres a good chance they will get stolen...if what you have works I'd say leave it there.. IMO.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by wojowojo16
why do you want to add them that bad, knowing that theres a good chance they will get stolen...if what you have works I'd say leave it there.. IMO.
guess so...
Old 07-02-2004, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by burnout
Insurance = crooks
Stop being a goof. It's a part of life. You never hear about the good claims experiences, like when you report your claim and have your car in the shop the same week...I'm an insurance adjuster, and I can tell you having a wreck can impact your life in ways you cant imagine. Now picture it if you didn't have insurance to pay for your mistakes. Most people don't have $$$ under their mattress if they were to hit a pedestrian or otherwise injure somebody behind the wheel.

Insurance is a problem solver, and depending on your coverage, it erases your f**k up!

To answer the original poster's question, no its not covered. It's not OEM parts like previously stated. Depending on your insurer, you can have an endorsement written up, and like it was said before expect your premium to go up.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:54 AM

Ignorance is Bliss

Isn't it Ferbs?

You never hear about the good claims experiences, like when you report your claim and have your car in the shop the same week...I'm an insurance adjuster, and I can tell you having a wreck can impact your life in ways you cant imagine. Now picture it if you didn't have insurance to pay for your mistakes. Most people don't have $$$ under their mattress if they were to hit a pedestrian or otherwise injure somebody behind the wheel.

Your right about this one particular incident..... What about other types of insurance???

Here is reality:
Insurance Company Objective - make as much money as possible. They accomplish this in three ways - 1. raising rates (obvious), 2. reducing liablity and 3. just plain rejecting claims until consumer is tired of fighting. They accomplish the second in ways that are at times borderline illegal (lobbying for law changes based on inaccurate info, etc; deceptive sales and marketing; constantly revising who they can insure for what reasons, etc. I could go on but you hopefully get the idea.) The 3rd they should not be able to do legally. They tend to claim "it was an oversight on our part, sorry" when you finally pin them down with facts.

Consumer Objective - get as much coverage with the right combination of deductable, coverage, rate, etc. Each entity has an opposite objective, how can they work together.

Hey I have insurance (the correct amounts and correct coverage for my family and job) and don't have problems, but I know this goes on. I too have been involved with insurance underwriting...) I appreciate your position, but you've cited a very isolated incident.

By the way, good job at scanning the messages and finding something to respond to, good job.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:59 AM

Oh hell, sorry about that Ferbs.

I just know first hand that insurance companies have deceptive and, at times, unethical business practices that feed on customers not knowing all the details. They also provide "kick backs" to lawmakers based again on deceptive and at time incorrect data concerning their gains/losses. I know this first hand. So, please forgive me for jumping on your post.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:28 AM

Just get projectors. And put HIDs in them with Valeos.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:08 AM

Stick w/ halogen. Not worth the risk.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:09 AM
I Miss My Maxima

Insurance = legal extortion, no better than the Mafia's protection money, and the vig is worse.

I pay $200 a month for my two cars and house. If I don't file a claim, I should get the money back!

Insurance won't cover your replacement lights but will cover damage to the car if they get jacked. Why not just go with projectors or a nice bulb and save your $$?

BTW -- if some damn fool walks out in front of your car why should you be liable for THEIR injuries and stupidity?
Old 07-03-2004, 10:59 AM

what i dont like is how you can be in a accident that is in no way your fault, and your rates go up.
That makes no sense i also don't like how i'm payin 3000 dollars a month on insurance, but thats another story.