5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ipod install

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ipod install

has anybody done a custom install of an ipod in their maxima? i've seen on apple's website a new option to have the ipod plug into bmw's and i think it would be cool if we could do that with our maxima's (that would ROCK ). just curious if anybody has and if so how they did it. thanks.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:58 PM

it wont work on our radios like it would on a BMW,

i have mine installed via a cupholder adapter amd powered through the rear cig lighter adapter and then a tape adapter

works great, just not very clean
Old 07-04-2004, 07:00 PM

I was very keen on doing a custom job by making a very clean support holder with the charger built in, so you could basically slide it in and have it chare (a la the dock), and then use iTrip to broadcast to radio, in order to minimize the wiring. The whole project was grounded before it started when I figured that iTrip didn't broadcast to the intergrated antenna in the rear too well. The signal was fuzzy, so I kinda gave up on the idea.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was searching google and found a pic of someone that had they ipod mounted on the the ash tray door. I guess it was something that clipped on, but looked pretty sweet. I just wish I had saved the pic.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by wildmanal
I was searching google and found a pic of someone that had they ipod mounted on the the ash tray door. I guess it was something that clipped on, but looked pretty sweet. I just wish I had saved the pic.
The best way to get the signal is to wire the FM modulator in with the factory antenna (assumung you have the factory radio) like the cd changers. I also tried the wireless (Irock) and the sound was poor. This will avoid the wire hanging out of the tape player.

Some people have cell phone holders to hold the player in place.

Then all you need is a power source. If you get an inverter you can plug your house charger in.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:09 PM

Probably what wildmanal found:

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/sho...threadid=22948
Old 07-05-2004, 05:21 AM

iPod Install

Originally Posted by bigboi
has anybody done a custom install of an ipod in their maxima? i've seen on apple's website a new option to have the ipod plug into bmw's and i think it would be cool if we could do that with our maxima's (that would ROCK ). just curious if anybody has and if so how they did it. thanks.
Yeah, I have. I wrote it up last year when I installed it with the stock stereo, then again when I got my Alpine HU. It was pretty simple, if just time-consuming. I used a Belkin car adaptor, since it uses the dock interface for both power and line-out, then connected the line-out from the iPod to the AUX input on my Alpine. I used a cell phone holder to mount the iPod on my ash tray door. The cell phone holder is attached with Velcro, so I can remove the whole thing if I really need to. I don't use my ashtray, so it was no big deal.

Here are some pics:

Now, Alpine had a press release back in January about how they were going to release "iPod-ready" HU for 2004. These were expected in June, but apparently the release has slipped. Here's the press release:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/company_in...0804_ipad.html
Old 07-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that looks sweet. would the belkin car adapter work with a nonbose headunit for an '03 max?
Old 07-10-2004, 10:53 PM

i recently purchased a wireless FM radio adapter made by MONSTER for my iPod Mini... it sucks, haha. the signal seems very weak and quality was very poor. i guess i dont know what i am doing... or it'll come out nice. since i bought the adapter at my work... im gonna return it and try other adapters
Old 07-21-2004, 09:09 PM

You could try this, they are out of them at the moment.
http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...Code=IA_Nissan
Old 07-21-2004, 09:39 PM

if I was a little more electronically inclined and my commute as a longer(15mins to work) I'd try installing that FM modulator on the iPod Lounge site, but as things as they are I'll stick to the tape adaptor. I've got the iTrip also and it doesn't sound to good.

That Denison mount is pretty cool, but $30 for a piece of plastic! ouch
Old 07-21-2004, 10:13 PM

It's more than a mount, it's a system that connects to radios with the ability to control cd changers, you can advance your the songs on your ipod using your stereo's controls. It's actually $219

Originally Posted by MaximaDisciple
if I was a little more electronically inclined and my commute as a longer(15mins to work) I'd try installing that FM modulator on the iPod Lounge site, but as things as they are I'll stick to the tape adaptor. I've got the iTrip also and it doesn't sound to good.

That Denison mount is pretty cool, but $30 for a piece of plastic! ouch
Old 07-22-2004, 06:54 AM

too bad its not made for our maxes

i called and asked
Old 07-22-2004, 07:42 AM

Alpine is coming out with an IPod interface that works with their stereos. You can controll the ipod like a cd changer. The interface evan charges the ipod so you don't have to have any extra wires. It is supposed to retail for $100.00.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:52 AM

I actually called Denison about a month or so ago and they told me that they were having technical issues with the Nissan/Infiniti adaptors.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep
It's more than a mount, it's a system that connects to radios with the ability to control cd changers, you can advance your the songs on your ipod using your stereo's controls. It's actually $219

No, that's a piece of plastic.

http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...Code=IA_Nissan
Old 07-22-2004, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by aznsap
that looks sweet. would the belkin car adapter work with a nonbose headunit for an '03 max?
They do. They have a mini-headphone line-out with a tiny volume control, which you can use with a tape adaptor (OK if a little hissy), with an FM modulator (better, but subseptible to electrical interference), or ultimately, an AUX input to the HU you replace your non-Bose stock stereo with.

And, yes, I tried it all three ways. I ended up buying my Alpine just to have better inputs for my iPod. Sad, really.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:51 PM

Nice man was thing of doing that my self