5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dont laugh at a rookie....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dont laugh at a rookie....

I am pretty new at performance mod's and need a little help. I don't have a big budget right now (getting married next April), but I sure would add a little more kick behind those 222 horses. I have added a K & N but can't really tell a difference. What are some cheap mod's that I could begin with that would provide a noticable increase in power and performance? Mod/Brand/Price please !!!
Old 07-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Mauja He Mauja

first off, don't post a new thread twice. mods will come later
Old 07-30-2004, 06:28 PM

y-pipe from any company pretty much... its one of best mods for the price. getting an intake makes a nice sound, not much for power though.... for intakes, you can get injen cold air which is kinda ironic cuz it sits behind the radiator.... go figure... place racing cold air intake is supposedley a true cold air cuz it goes somewhere else, but requires cutting a little bit of metal.... and some other warm air intake brands, but cant recall any of em.... frankencar? im not sure, as for me, i have a warpseed y-pipe and injen cold air. underdrive pulley comin next.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:33 PM
retired moderator

to be honest, the first thing you should do is get a Rear Sway Bar. It doesn't add hp, but it drastically improves the car's handling (especially if you have the soft GLE springs).

I consider the RSB the #1 first thing to get....Intake and Y-pipe make some difference, but not nearly as much as the RSB - which will really make you enjoy cornering alot more and reduce the sloppy maxima body roll (which I imagine is even worse on your GLE than on my SE, which has stiffer springs).

As to engine.....same as above:
Y-pipe (Warpspeed, Cattman, Stillen, etc...)
Intake (Place Racing, Injen, Berk, Frankencar, etc.)

These three things can be had for under $500 total and are probably the best/affordable "starter" mods.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here is my concern about the RSB...will it make my ride "bumpier"...or just tighter in the curves?
Old 07-30-2004, 06:48 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

It will keep it tighter around turns. Go with the RSB

Do an intake by Berk rather than a panel filter (see my homepage for pics)

Y-pipe for your Max would be awesome!
Old 07-30-2004, 06:50 PM
retired moderator

It basically reduces roll into corners of the back of the car. The only time it makes it "bumpier" is on really bad, uneven road, but not much. I felt like it makes the tail of the car feel more "solid". I mean, you feel the bumps a little tiny bit more, but the suspension "recovers" from the bumps faster too, so the whole car doesn't vibrate as much. I doubt you will find anyone on the org who does not like their RSB....
Old 07-30-2004, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
to be honest, the first thing you should do is get a Rear Sway Bar. It doesn't add hp, but it drastically improves the car's handling (especially if you have the soft GLE springs).

I consider the RSB the #1 first thing to get....Intake and Y-pipe make some difference, but not nearly as much as the RSB - which will really make you enjoy cornering alot more and reduce the sloppy maxima body roll (which I imagine is even worse on your GLE than on my SE, which has stiffer springs).
Do you really think a RSB would improve handling on a GLE even more just because of our suspension? And are there any actual numbers to show the difference between GLE and SE, apart from the corny "stiffer, sport-tuned suspension" that Nissan came up with? I've never seen the stock spring rates of either trim. Too bad I've never driven in a SE on stock suspension to tell the difference.

And the GLE is sloppier? Be nice, Irish, call it a softer, more comfortable ride!
Old 07-30-2004, 07:04 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Madam
Do you really think a RSB would improve handling on a GLE even more just because of our suspension? And are there any actual numbers to show the difference between GLE and SE, apart from the corny "stiffer, sport-tuned suspension" that Nissan came up with? I've never seen the stock spring rates of either trim. Too bad I've never driven in a SE on stock suspension to tell the difference.

And the GLE is sloppier? Be nice, Irish, call it a softer, more comfortable ride!
Are you stalking me? seems like you always post right after me

I've driven both stock SE and stock GLE/GXE and there is a noticeably more body roll in the GLE/GXE due to softer springs...SE has alot of tail-end body roll too (then again, I'm used to coupes)....Both have "sloppy" body roll thanks to our stupid rear suspension (don't get me started on that).....bottom line is RSB really helps, whether its a SE or GLE......

come on, you know I love your sexy GLE..... j/j!
Old 07-30-2004, 07:06 PM
retired moderator

If the RSB =
And the maxima =

then

yeah!
Old 07-30-2004, 07:11 PM

LOL, I noticed that too.. but I kep it to myself... j/k

Originally Posted by irish44j
Are you stalking me? seems like you always post right after me
Old 07-30-2004, 07:14 PM

Yeah, Irish, she's sexy, definitely sexier than her cousin the Pathfinder.. and you have no idea how smoothly she rides, never felt a bump on the road. That's why I'm so reluctant to butcher this bliss with aftermarket springs and if I ever do, it will be out of pure vanity, and hopefully it will handle better. Oh well, I guess it's a compromise between looks and comfort.

I think I'm going to get one of those stillen RSB wannabes on eBay...

And no, I'm not stalking you Irish, I read everything on end but it's your rebellious posts that make me respond j/k, btw you're one of the people whose logic I can follow and whose posts actually make sense and are intelligently written.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nicely done irish. RSB is on the list. Now, as for the Y-Pipe and intake...is there any way you can prep me on exactly how much (in #'s) I can see a difference in my performance. Hope this Q isn't too tough.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:20 PM

Ive been in my friends GLE and its not that smooth to where you dont feel bumps.. But its definatly much more smoother than the SE. MY friend has a 2001 GLE. As far as handle in the GLEs, I was able to take turns much better with me SE while my friend was having problems keeping on the road.

Originally Posted by Maximadmoiselle
Yeah, Irish, she's sexy, definitely sexier than her cousin the Pathfinder.. and you have no idea how smoothly she rides, never felt a bump on the road. That's why I'm so reluctant to butcher this bliss with aftermarket springs and if I ever do, it will be out of pure vanity, and hopefully it will handle better. Oh well, I guess it's a compromise between looks and comfort.

I think I'm going to get one of those stillen RSB wannabes on eBay...

And no, I'm not stalking you Irish, I read everything on end but it's your rebellious posts that make me respond j/k, btw you're one of the people whose logic I can follow and whose posts actually make sense and are intelligently written.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:20 PM
retired moderator

Sweet! You wanna be part of my "entourage"? I mean, you'd be the only one in it, but hey I gotta start somewhere

oh, and you feel alot more of the bumps with the SE, even stock. As i recall, alot of the car magazines when the 5th gen came out kept on calling the SE suspension "harsh"...no lie!

RSB doesn't really affect the ride of the car as far as regular driving and highway cruising goes, though....you just notice it when going over uneven areas (like driveway entrace) or really bumpy corners...
Old 07-30-2004, 07:31 PM
retired moderator

Nicely done irish. RSB is on the list. Now, as for the Y-Pipe and intake...is there any way you can prep me on exactly how much (in #'s) I can see a difference in my performance.
As to intake, it's not a huge gain in power, maybe 2-5 depending on which intake, etc.... What you notice is that it gives you more high-end power (i.e. highway passing speeds especially) and gives the car a nice mean growl when the rpms get higher.

As to the Y-pipe, I don't personally have one but have ridden in/driven maxes with them....Y-pipe gives you more power all the way around the power band....not sure how much, maybe 5-10 from what I've read. It gives even more growl to the car, but when i ride in soonerfan's max with Y-pipe personally I think it drones a little....but each to his own as far as sound goes...Ypipe+intake may combine to give you 10-15 hp at best.

One thing that's a really cheap mod that I think makes a pleasant difference in the engine is the so-called "hyperground"...You'll see alot of argument about if it works or if it's a gimmick - but most who have done it agrees it works. makes the engine smoother, revs faster, and quieter. Doesn't give any extra power per se, just makes the engine "feel" a little better.

check out this link on the hyperground I did for about $25 in materials....best bang for the buck of any mod I've done:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/442543/16
Old 07-30-2004, 07:35 PM

So a RSB does pretty much the same job as the FSTB which I have already. Keeps the car stiff. Honestly, the only difference that I notice with the FSTB is that it keeps the car more planted while cornering at higher speed so that I don't necessarily have to brake if I don't want to fly out of my lane. But the car still handles like a whale on a slab of butter.

I don't know if tire profile affects the smoothness of the ride too, but my thicky thick tires might be contributing to that too. I really don't feel the bumps much..
Old 07-31-2004, 09:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had an 02 gle and traded in last year.it was much sloppier then my 03 se.at high speeds the car floats and handles much worse then the se
Old 07-31-2004, 07:44 PM
Wild at Hurt

So a RSB does pretty much the same job as the FSTB which I have already. Keeps the car stiff. Honestly, the only difference that I notice with the FSTB is that it keeps the car more planted while cornering at higher speed so that I don't necessarily have to brake if I don't want to fly out of my lane. But the car still handles like a whale on a slab of butter.

I don't know if tire profile affects the smoothness of the ride too, but my thicky thick tires might be contributing to that too. I really don't feel the bumps much..

A stiffer front eleminates body roll. A stiffer rear helps the car rotate in a corner.
The front end is fine from the factory. But the rear has no sway bar and it needs one. Without it the car is an understeering pig.

And go with Irish, a great guy with good advice.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:02 AM
retired moderator

FSTB doesn't have that much effect compared to the RSB. You will definitely notice the RSB much more than the FSTB...it has a far greater effect on the handling at all speeds, not just high speed cornering...the majority of the Maxima's body roll is at the back end and the RSB really gets rid of alot of that.....
Old 08-01-2004, 03:38 PM

@ 90+ mph i feel like the captain of the titanic, except i don't get to bone my girl on the ship.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Banned

Buy all you can now. Believe me when the wedding get's closer, or after you are married, you're screwed! I know, I was married last week.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Install a Supercharger on that bish... that'll put some extra ***** beyond the stock 222HP
Old 08-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for everything guys...some great ideas.