5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Look for input on Maxima purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Look for input on Maxima purchase

I have a 95 Maxima with 280,000 miles on it. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It still gets 30 MPG on the highway, loads of fun to drive, and I never have to add any oil with my 15,000 mile oil changes, AMSOIL of course. Mechanically it is perfect, I am a preventative maintenance nut.

I was hoping to keep it at least another year, but unfortunately it has developed a problem with collecting deer in the grill. I am sure that this time it is going to be a total loss.

So, I am in the market for a replacement. Two Maximas are being considered, a new 2004, or a used 2001 that a co-worker owns, and maybe the Marano. Should not of let the wife drive the Marano.

This forum has been a great source of info and I have spent the last few days reading a good part of it as well as the referenced TSBs for both years. After taking all of that info in, I am looking for any input on things to look for or any chronic problems with these two years that I may not be aware of. That thread on the plenum butterfly valves coming loose was very interesting. So, what do you all have as far as recommendations??

I am going to post this in both of the appropriate areas of the forum since I am asking about two different year cars and there is a separate category for each. Also, is anyone aware of a similar forum for the Marano?

If any of you happen to have a Toyota truck that they want to make faster, let me know. I can certainly help you out there.

Thanks for you help!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-29-2004, 06:52 PM

i would go with the 02-03 6sp instead....i just don't like the style of the 6gen max...
Old 08-29-2004, 06:55 PM
† ErV †

I would go for the 2001 (or get an 02 if you can). If you are even considering the new 04, why not look at infinity?

As far the problems list, they are pretty minor and random so i would not really worry about then unless they happen.

00-01

Some transmission slip (that should be all but gone at this time)
wind noise
ignition coils
some strut noises
warping rotors
wheel bearings (though mostly people who have it dropped have issues with those)
and more stuff

02-03

MAF sensor
6speed manuals like to develop problems like the 4th gen manuals.. run of the mill really
useless bose HU
and more stuff

I was hoping to keep it at least another year, but unfortunately it has developed a problem with collecting deer in the grill.
Don't mind if i use this line at some point, even as sorry as i am for it occuring it's just too funny written.

Old 08-29-2004, 07:05 PM
retired moderator

well, first off 90% of this forum will tell you to get a 02-03 even though you didn't list that as one of your choices. So...I will speak to the 01 maxima tht you listed (I have a 00 which is essentially the same)

I have had no major issues with my 00 and i drive hard. I'm very happy with the performance (now that I've upgraded the suspension), look, and feel of the car.

The main "chronic problems" are as follows:
1. front brake rotors warp. this also happens on the 02-03, and my dealer told me it is happening on the 04's now too. the solution: upgrade to a true BBK OR do the blehmco BBK which uses 2004 maxima larger rotors on the 00...
2. Coils - alot of people have had coils go bad, and I think there was a TSB on it. No problems with coils here (after about 60K miles)
3. MAF blowing/going bad - I've never blown one, but I think my OEM one was going bad around 50K miles. Replaced it with the updated one, no problems at all. Seems to me the MAF going bad has alot to do with heavily modded induction systems, or at least CAI/WAI's....I know alot of people with stock maximas who have never had a MAF problem in 100,000 miles...
4. A few rattles, wind noise issues, etc...all of which are easily fixed in my opinion.
5. Stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires - they are CRAP and should be replaced if you value your life.

That covers most of the major ones.
Only other problems I have had is a blown strut (replaced under warranty) and a leaky clutch master cylinder (also under warranty).

I hear the automatic 00-01s have some other problems, but can't speak to them since I have a stick.

Main upgrades in the 01 vs. 00 -
1. 5 extra hp (supposedly)
2. radio controls on the steering wheel
3. auto-dim rearview (on some of them)
4. AE stuff if you get an AE model 01....

so, since all the 02-03 guys will be sure to sit here and dog the 00-01's in this thread as "slow" "ugly seats" "only 5-speeds" "etc etc, I'll be the first to say of the 00-01 that I think it's a great car. The 02-03 is a great car too, but you did not ask about that one, so I'm just tryin to answer your question.

As to the 6th gen - I agree - I drove one and did not like the overall driving experience (except for the power, it's nice) and personally I think it's butt ugly...but that's just my opinion......
Old 08-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Chicken Feet Croo!

I'm with the Max 01.. i'm not to crazy for the new 6th gens.. I own a 2k GLE and love everything about it.. including the ugly leather which the 5.5 gen owners don't like... Go with the 01 MAX and you won't be dissappointed
Old 08-29-2004, 07:16 PM
retired moderator

by the way...I can tell you the Murano washer sprayers work great...they spray a nice fan pattern of washer fluid on the entire windshield (unlike the single streams on the max). Of course, not sure how well they work on the Murano,,,I have them on my maxima :P
Old 08-30-2004, 09:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

here's a forum for the murano: http://www.nissanmurano.org/ Definitly a nice suv.

2001's are great. The only thing I wish I had in my car was the hids from 2002+ models. Other than that, the power is more than enough for me.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:44 PM

DOn't forget the 255HP and HID lights are standard on the 2002 :-)
Old 08-31-2004, 06:02 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by blackmaxgic
DOn't forget the 255HP and HID lights are standard on the 2002 :-)
Originally Posted by Gadget
Two Maximas are being considered, a new 2004, or a used 2001 that a co-worker owns, and maybe the Marano
I don't see a 2002 being considered.....but thanks for playing.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:37 AM

I am an owner of 02 SE 6speed. I was looking for an 03 6speed but this 02 was an amazing deal so I could not pass. Back to the topic...
Originally I considered 04 Max, G354dr, Murano 4wd.

04Max: I like the looks both inside and out. Unfortunately assembley quality is not as good. It is assembled in TN. This strange, because my 97 Altima that was the first Nissan assembled in the US has excellent fit and finish. Also, I wanted the sunlit orange one and i just could not find one with 6speed, because it was a launch colour and they don't make them anymore...

01Max: 3.0 is a more refined engine then 3.5. Like others said, no HID (could be good or bad), less HP and 5speed. But really, if you get a loaded one or especially the AE one, they are sharp.

G354dr: I just hated the clutch in it. Just me...Otherwise beautiful.

Murano. Very different compared to others. One bad thing - CVT. It sux a$$. Kills eninge response, just bad. If not for CVT I would have bought it.

So, I would go drive a Murano (exensively), if you like CVT and need AWD and big hatch - it is really nice and looks cool.

If you are going to settle for a car and want a new one: Drive a G35 instead of 04 Max.

If you are going for used - get 01AE or find 2003 one (don't get early 02's - they have more issues).
Good luck.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:45 PM
drag racing is for wussies

100K miles on my severely beat up 5spd, I consider myself in a totally diff category than most people on this forum. I drive cars like I stole them, I always wait till the engine is warmed up before any redline shifts are taken, tires are chirped etc. I blew up my 4th gear at around 65K miles, rebuild the tranny, clean it all out and lately I noticed that my 1st gear is hard to get in half the time, so I think my master cylinder is finally failing- I have a heavy ACT aftermarket clutch with a Fidanza flywheel in my 01 Max. I repleaced my rear wheel bearings due to dirt contaminating it- I had to remove the rear dust caps in order to fit my Konig Tantrum wheels- fixed it by Nissan under warranty- fine since then. I'm on my 5th MAF sensor- I have a Cold air intake that tends to vibrate a little bit and the MAFs are mega sensitive to vibrations n such. I blew 2 of them at a drag strip trying to launch the car- wheel hop destroyed the MAF. I repleaced my coil packs because I got a good deal on them on Ebay- and sell off the old ones to people who are in need of one or 2 just to get by- locally here. My right front headlight started to condensate about a year ago slowly, and now it seems like after some rain it fogs up from the inside- but turn on the lights for like 10 min and the heat dries out the moisture I had the wind noise bulletin done to my car at around 20K miles. Thats about it, 3 clutches, 4 sets of brakes in the front- 10 sets of tires in the front- 4 in the back. I love the car, and it feels and pulls like no other Maxima I EVER drove. Today I got a chance to drive a G35 6spd Sedan we got in on a trade in... yeah its nice and all.... but overall just didn't have the response, and smoothness of my fully decked out VQ30DE-K. It was nice drifting it around corners n such, but at the end of the day I went out, filled my car up with Shell V-Power 93 as usuall and drove off home, doing tripple digit speeds like I usually do and still get on average 26MPG As long as I treat her right with regular fluid changes, and plenty of go fast goodies, she is happy to give me all shes got- even if the speed limiter always stops our fun at 130MPH. I don't think my engine is any less high performance than a 3.5L. If anything looking at the 3.5L dyno charts I think THEY got screwed out of the "255HP"- most put out 10HP more at the wheels than a normal 5spd 00-01. Stock vs Stock.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:25 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
even if the speed limiter always stops our fun at 130MPH.
so it was a no go from Pauly
Old 09-02-2004, 05:32 PM
drag racing is for wussies

nope, so for now I have to deal with the pesky speed limiter. Keeps me in check at 130.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:18 PM

Don't expect 30 mpg on the 5th generation. You'll see a wide range of mileage for the 5th gen here in the forum. Anywhere from 14 to 28 MPG. Mine is about 17 combined city/hwy and I don't have a lead foot. 2K GXE
Old 09-03-2004, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by schernov
Back to the topic...

Murano. Very different compared to others. One bad thing - CVT. It sux a$$. Kills eninge response, just bad. If not for CVT I would have bought it.

So, I would go drive a Murano (exensively), if you like CVT and need AWD and big hatch - it is really nice and looks cool.
I agree about the launch on the Murano; it is somewhat sluggish off the line. But it holds its own on the hwy and the only SUVs that can probably outhandle it are the FX and Cayenne. I test drove it extensively on the highway and in the twisties and was pretty impressed (especially after having low initial expectations). In the twisties, I have more confidence with the Murano than my Maxima. (NOTE: The SL gives up very little handling to the SE)

Plus, there's a lot more interior volume than the body style betrays. Would I get it over a G35S/X? Probably not.

Sidenote: The fact that there's no shifting in the tranny (CVT and all) gives it a unique feeling under acceleration. You keep waiting for it to kick up but it just doesnt happen. It's a very unusual feeling but, not bad. On the plus side, it's always in the "right gear" so to speak. Though, I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of the SS gear shift selector (SE model) seeing as there are no gears to shift.

Peace.