5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

sun roof malfunction after heavy rain.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 09:45 AM

sun roof malfunction after heavy rain.

Hi All, Any hints on how to fix this problem would be great!
2kmax auto se. The sunroof was in the open/tilted up position during a rain storm. Didn't figure that it was going to rain that day. i was able to close it after it have started to rain heavyly. some part of the internal area under the sunroof was wet. Now, some of the buttons are not working normally, the Slide forth/backward button only slides the sunroof, a little, like maybe 2 inch when i hold the button, i have to let the button go and push again so it will slide another 2 inch, will have to continue to do this until it is fully open. When it is in the full open position, normally if i push the button and hold for a few seconds, the sunroof will slide close automatically, but it does not. i have to push the button and move 2 inch and release and repush a few time before it close. any idea.
Any one out there that fallen into the "not so smart thing to do" hole like i did.
TIA
Jack
Old 09-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Play with my balls

the same exact issue on my girlfriend's car, please help anybody........if she's happy, i'm happy, know what i mean!! o she has an 01 AE.....

preesh
Old 09-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Play with my balls

anyone have a fix for this yet?
Old 09-09-2004, 04:08 PM

A new sunroof motor worked fine for me.

You could try the following:
- Tilt the sunroof up all the way. Remove the key.
- Close the sunfoor. Remove the key.
- Open the sunroof all the way. Remove the key.
- Close the sunroof all the way. Remove the key.

If that doesn't work, see my first suggestion.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:09 PM

Heres a really easy fix guys. Look under the dash by the dead pedal. there is a harness there. There is a relay there (grey if I remember correctly) and pull it out. It has large gague wires leading to it. Pull the relay for about 60 sec. and re insert. Walla! your sunroof will magicaly start working again. By the way, if you have the sunroof in the tilt position and then hit the auto slide button to open the sunroof this will often cause the problem to re-occur. I learned to use the tilt button to close the sunroof first and then use the autoslide button and haven't had the problem since. If you suspect that your sunroof switch has gone bad I've got a spare I'll sell you for cheap!!!