5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Audio Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 08:07 PM

Audio Replacement

Yes, I checked the "FAQ" thread, but I just could not find all the info I needed. I am debating between a loaded SE and a stripped SE. I am leaning toward a stripped one and just replacing the stereo.
A few questions:
-Crutchfield says that you cannot use the stock speaker grilles with aftermarket speakers. True? I want to maintain the clean look of the cabin. I don't want ugly aftermarket speaker grilles in those holes.
-Any speakers better than Kappas?
-I'm considering an Infinity BassLink. How are they? I don't need to "bump" but I want nice, clean low end.
-Is a nice 4 channel AMP ok for powering the 4 speakers? If so, what's a good amp to power 4 Kappas nicely?

I just need to know these things before I forgo the Bose system. If I can get a Max w/o bose and add a better system, I'm all for it.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 09-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

-Crutchfield says that you cannot use the stock speaker grilles with aftermarket speakers. True? I want to maintain the clean look of the cabin. I don't want ugly aftermarket speaker grilles in those holes.
all speakers are behind the door panels, so when u replace the speakers, u dont even need grilles cuz the door panel (and oem "grille") will cover it up
Old 09-09-2004, 08:48 PM

Cool, good to know. Anyone know answers to the other questions? Is there a lot of hacking required to install Kappas?

Also, does the stock head unit have preamp outputs? Or should I replace that as well?
Old 09-09-2004, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by MarkyD
Cool, good to know. Anyone know answers to the other questions? Is there a lot of hacking required to install Kappas?

Also, does the stock head unit have preamp outputs? Or should I replace that as well?
You will need to build your own trim ring to fit any aftermarket speaker. not too hard, use mdf, cut a circle and screw it in. I would also recommend using some kind of sound deadener on the door.

The stock headunit and 99% of all stock headunits do not have outputs. You can use an adapter but that is only if you are going to be using an amplifier to power your speakers. Otherwise you can just use the stock wiring, assuming it's not the BOSE (also assuming that's why you're looking for cloth SE).

If you want a real audio system, replace the headunit, put in Kappa's, MBQuart or Focal and use an amp to power these speakers. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by xtantmaxima
You will need to build your own trim ring to fit any aftermarket speaker. not too hard, use mdf, cut a circle and screw it in. I would also recommend using some kind of sound deadener on the door.
Do you know if anyone has written a how-to on this? I know my father could probably give me a hand with it, because he has tools and I don't. (I live in an APT and have no place for them!)

Also, can someone recommend a good amp to power 4 6.5" speakers?
Old 09-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I hate infinity. Have always been a fan of MB Quart, used them in my last two cars. The basslinks that I have heard have not been very good sounding for what you pay for. you'll get a much better sounding system with a sealed 10 or 12 running off of 250-300 watts. Just make sure to remove the bose sub and take care of the rattles you are going to get in your rear deck.

If you end up with the bose, then just add a PAC AOEM-NIS2 to get RCA's out of the Bose headunit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 09-10-2004, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by cobymoby
I hate infinity. Have always been a fan of MB Quart, used them in my last two cars. The basslinks that I have heard have not been very good sounding for what you pay for. you'll get a much better sounding system with a sealed 10 or 12 running off of 250-300 watts. Just make sure to remove the bose sub and take care of the rattles you are going to get in your rear deck.

If you end up with the bose, then just add a PAC AOEM-NIS2 to get RCA's out of the Bose headunit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Thanks for the post. OK, so here's my remaining questions:
1. Instead of doing a DIY on the trim ring, since new ones need to be made...how much would it cost me to have an audio shop do it? I have no idea how to do it.
2. What are some great sounding MB quart speakers?
3. Any nice double din recievers out there?
Old 09-10-2004, 11:58 AM

anyone?