5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about muffler separating from B-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 08:10 PM
wokisan

Question about muffler separating from B-pipe

This is what happens when the wife drives the Max for a few days...

I started the car up tonight and I immediately notice that my car now sounds almost like I have a catback exhaust. My first thought is ok...what did she hit? It's dark outside (obviously) but it looks like about 12 inches in front of the muffler my exhaust has come loose/completely seprated. The joint I'm talking about is just a bit in front of rear wheels if that makes any sense.

My question is how are the two parts attached. It was hard to tell but it looks like there is a joint there with a bolt on each side. Is that all that holds them together? Here is a pic of the general area I'm talking about. It seems to be almost in the middle of the b-pipe??? I could be wrong.

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/pics/exhaust/exhaust5c.jpg

Sorry for not being able to be specific about the correct 'terms'. All I know is that the separation is not right where the b-pipe meets the muffler but further to the front but not as far as where the b-pipe meets the cat. converter.

I'll try to take a pic in the morning to give you all a better idea. Any helpful info would be appreciated! Thanks.

Old 09-16-2004, 10:33 PM

hmm there are multiple components of the b-pipe and maybe i might be redundant to what you are saying.

there is the y-pipe, catalytic, b-pipe, and rear section.
the rear section is actually a muffler with about a 2 foot pipe which is connected to the b-pipe via two bolts right by the rear passenger tire.

so here is a little diagram....
y-pipe==]flange[===catalytic===]flange[====B-pipe====]flange[===rear-section==={muffler}.

hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:13 PM
wokisan

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
the rear section is actually a muffler with about a 2 foot pipe which is connected to the b-pipe via two bolts right by the rear passenger tire.

so here is a little diagram....
y-pipe==]flange[===catalytic===]flange[====B-pipe====]flange[===rear-section==={muffler}.

hope this helps.
Yes, it does. Basically what happenned was that my rear section has completely disconnected from the b-pipe. I saw the two bolts but didn't know if they were all that held the 2 sections together. Thanks..I'll try to bolt it back in the morning. Very odd though that it would just come apart...

Old 09-17-2004, 12:09 AM

np
Old 09-17-2004, 08:14 PM
Engineer/Inventor/Maximanian

I have that condition right now! Only the face plate sheared from the muffler pipe, stayed with the b-pipe. I also had a break where the flex line attaches to the collector; since they both failed at once I did a deal with Catman for both the Y-pipe and cat-back; they all go in next weekend. While I am yanking pipes I'll go ahead and pop in new O2s. This should be my last visit to the exhaust system for the time I own the car, maybe pull a few more ponies out of it, to boot!
Old 09-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Here is a detailed image with all the related part numbers. If you would like a larger copy, I can email it to you.

Old 09-18-2004, 05:18 AM
wokisan

Originally Posted by RsMaxMaggie
I have that condition right now! Only the face plate sheared from the muffler pipe, stayed with the b-pipe.

***Update***

After checking it out yesterday morning that is exactly what happened. The flange stayed bolted to the b-pipe and separated from rear section. I got a local muffler/exhaust shop to fix it for me. Since the only part of the exhaust system I plan on upgrading is a y-pipe (I want to keep the stock muffler to keep the noise level down) they cut out the flange and welded a straight pipe section in there connecting the rear section and the b-pipe. The cost was a little under $25. I guess it has a little better airflow back there as well...no chance for any leaks at that joint any more.

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Here is a detailed image with all the related part numbers. If you would like a larger copy, I can email it to you.
Thanks. If you could email me that to me that would be great. My email is wokisan @ hotmail.com (without the extra spaces of course....I've always been paranoid about message boards getting spammed)

Old 09-18-2004, 05:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Last month I actually had the hanger on the B-pipe break, due to rust (previous owner let the car sit around a lot; as a result, I am replacing the front calipers today, most likely another side effect of that... they're seizing) and the muffler inlet pipe developed a crack due to it banging against one of those little crossmembers in the back.

So now I have a brand new OEM muffler and a WSP 2.5" B-pipe w/ resonator installed. I love it--no noise, except the possible hint of a little extra bass note when I take off, but it's barely noticeable.