5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Non-HLSD Conversion to HLSD finally done!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by mjg
950 for both flywheel and clutch??? WOW, please tell me where u shop : ]
yeah, it's kind of pricey... i could have paid $750 for the flywheel and stage 1 clutch, but i got the stage 2 clutch instead..

since Jim Wolf Tech is the only one that has a lightened flywheel for the 02/03 Maxima, at this time, you're at their mercy as far as the price goes...
Old 09-23-2004, 05:27 PM
I miss the .org!

You are my hero...if I have the Max down the road, I'll def be doing everything you did
Old 09-23-2004, 08:04 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
yeah, it's kind of pricey... i could have paid $750 for the flywheel and stage 1 clutch, but i got the stage 2 clutch instead..

since Jim Wolf Tech is the only one that has a lightened flywheel for the 02/03 Maxima, at this time, you're at their mercy as far as the price goes...

No, they're only the ones who claim they have one. The 350Z clutches and flywheels, i suspect, will fit too. I am still waiting for someone to install the Titlon.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
No, they're only the ones who claim they have one. The 350Z clutches and flywheels, i suspect, will fit too. I am still waiting for someone to install the Titlon.
Probably true, since, as I posted earlier, the flywheel has multiple patterns for the dowel pins to go in - probably to accomodate the different cars...

but I wasn't about to take a chance...
Old 09-23-2004, 09:29 PM
vsamoylov

hmm this is very interesting. good job. so jwt only makes a lgiht flywheel for 2k202k3 6 speed? how about clutches? only jwt makes those only or who else is there? i want to upgrade mine and a lighter flywheel. more power.lol

Old 09-23-2004, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
hmm this is very interesting. good job. so jwt only makes a lgiht flywheel for 2k202k3 6 speed? how about clutches? only jwt makes those only or who else is there? i want to upgrade mine and a lighter flywheel. more power.lol
Thanks... all your questions are answered earlier in this thread... just read through it...
Old 09-26-2004, 08:18 PM

so exactly what do your mean by "torque steer is somewhat reduced"? I would think the difference in traction and torque steer would be night and day. And sorry to sound rude but you don't seem excited or happy at all with this conversion. I would think the maxima would drive like a new car especially now that traction should be about doubled and the car should be putting the power to the ground considerably better. I have always wanted to do this but after this write up I am not sure it is really worth spending hundreds of dollars on. Is the LSD worth it? From what I read it is not.

Mark
Old 09-27-2004, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by mdloops
so exactly what do your mean by "torque steer is somewhat reduced"? I would think the difference in traction and torque steer would be night and day. And sorry to sound rude but you don't seem excited or happy at all with this conversion. I would think the maxima would drive like a new car especially now that traction should be about doubled and the car should be putting the power to the ground considerably better. I have always wanted to do this but after this write up I am not sure it is really worth spending hundreds of dollars on. Is the LSD worth it? From what I read it is not.

Mark
Well, I haven't beat the crap out of the car (yet) because I'm still breaking in the new clutch... HOWEVER, I can tell you that punching it off the line doesn't jerk the steering wheel as much as it used to... it still pulls a little bit, but definitely not as much as before. Acceleration definitely feels like it's pulling harder too.

I'd say it was worth it, but your best bet is to find a car that already has HLSD and take it for a drive and decide for yourself.

Is this better? =>
Old 09-28-2004, 08:17 PM

Much better When you punch it off the line do the tires "grip and go" due to the increase in traction? And how much better on a scale of 1-10 is overall traction?

The thing is I have 2 reasons for doing this

1) Snowy road in upstate NY
2)Torque steer at upper rpms. It is liek the steering wheel is dancing my my hands.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2004, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by mdloops
Much better When you punch it off the line do the tires "grip and go" due to the increase in traction? And how much better on a scale of 1-10 is overall traction?

The thing is I have 2 reasons for doing this

1) Snowy road in upstate NY
2)Torque steer at upper rpms. It is liek the steering wheel is dancing my my hands.

Thanks
well, when i punch it off the line, the tires break free and start to smoke...

If i acclerate quickly off of the line, the car indeed, get's up and goes... the 1-2 shift comes very quickly...

Traction is a measure of a tire's ability to grip the road, so the traction my car has isn't necessarily going to be the same your car has, unless we have the exact same tires.

However, I will say this, on a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being no traction at all, 5 being what you have now (and what I did have) and 10 being 1G on the skidpad, I'd say that i went from a 5 to a 7... I don't think my tires are the grippiest I could get, so with super grippy tires, i'd probaly give it a 7.5.

i'm telling you, mang, if you do this mod, you're definitely going to feel the difference...

also remember this, you're never going to be able to get rid of ALL the torque steer on a front wheel drive car... that's just inherent in the design. At higher RPM's though, like when I punch it in first gear and the tires break free, the car doesn't automatically head for the passenger side curb.... The steering wheel gives a little shake, just enough to let me know the power is getting to the ground...
Old 10-01-2004, 02:55 PM

good reply answers a lot of questions.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:05 PM

Excellent swap, I am wondering if the unit will work in my Altima 5spd (probably not)

My car before the Altima was a SpecV which has an HLSD and I miss the HLSD tremendously.. From my experience, you won't notice much of a difference in the straight lines, it is in the turns where you benefit from the HLSD the most.. Floor the car around a 90 degree turn (like turning right onto a street) and you will feel it pull you right through. In the Altima (no lsd), however, you do the same and one of the wheels will light up and pull the car outward (not fun.)

After dozens of trips to the track, my best 60ft in the SpecV was 2.150, I nearly matched that in the Altima my first time to the track with a 2.162 on crappy bridgestone turanza tires... While the upgrade will help straight line launches a bit, but IMO, ppl shouldn't do this expecting miraculous gains on their launch.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:45 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by PlanoSER
Excellent swap, I am wondering if the unit will work in my Altima 5spd (probably not)
It seems that most on Altimas.net think it can't be done. But the '02+ Altima 5 speed (RS5F51A) is the same transmission as the 6 speed in the Maxima (RS6F51A or RS6F51H). I see no reason why it can't be installed. The only issue I know of is some of these gearboxes use different lengths for input and main shafts, etc. I shipped a 3.812 mainshaft/pinion and ring to a guy in Austrailia to install in his Hyundai Tiburon but he later found out that the Maxima mainshaft was 6mm too short. That sucked because it was quite expensive to ship.