5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stock suspension SAFE??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 07:25 PM

I think someone is full of it or trying to sell something here. Except for the forward floor pan stiffener my pretty much stock 00 SE outhandles about 95% of the cars on the local "killer" mountain highway just north of me here (the road to Whistler). If the SE is "leaning" then you are probably overdriving the car and I agree with mdloops on this. This is still a four door sedan. What did you think you were buying? It is not a SVT Cobra Mustang or an M3 BMW. With no weight in the back it may be a little skittish on bumpy asphalt, but live with it! With the money you will spend trying to "improve" in your mind the handling, you COULD buy a SVT Cobra. Unsafe...BULL!!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:37 PM
retired moderator

I love that road between Vancouver and Whistler...absolutely beautiful.....I drove it in a rented Audi A6....and W/Blackcomb is one of my favorite ski mountains....
Old 10-06-2004, 03:48 AM

I have an 00 SE and recently drove an 02 SE, both with RSB and FSTB. I was amazed at how much softer the 02 suspension was. The 00 is not great, but acceptable, the 02 is flat unacceptable! I was under the impression that only the rear shocks had been softened by Nissan but the front seems softer too and the springs felt softer as well. Does anyone know the details of the differences between 00-01 and 02-03 SE suspensions?
Old 10-06-2004, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Actually, I was not referring to speeding or racing at all. I was referring to general driving conditions on my 25-mile (each way) commute on the Washington, D.C. Beltway, which is not a "fun" drive. I also go through the Springfield, VA "Mixing Bowl" (the I-95, I-395, I-495 interchange) which is rated as one of the "most dangerous interchanges in the country." Handling is KEY on this commute, as evasive/emergency maneuvers are the NORM, because of the crazy traffic patterns there. My car's handling is set up specifically for commuting on a hectic and sometimes dangerous highway, NOT for the track. I don't drag race on the street. I go to run the 1/4 mile once a year just for fun, but always on a track. I occassionally auto-cross my classic sportscar with other classic sportscars, and have been trained in all kinds of driving at law-enforcement and military-sponsored driving courses.....I also spent three years driving on the "no rules, no speed-limit" highways in Italy, with no accidents (which is rare). So I am not being arrogant, I am confident in my driving ability and experience, that's all, and rarely come upon a situation in the car in which I feel that I cannot safely handle.

By the way, I work in a military environment as well, and know MANY MANY Active duty soldiers, sailors, and airmen who are bad drivers, who race, etc. I hear them talk about it all the time. Guess what? Never heard of any of them having driving privileges taken from them by the chain of command, unless a DWI/DUI was involved. There is actually an E-4 in my division who keeps a list of his "kills" street-racing in his early-90's Supra....I don't condone it at all, I think street racing is stupid....

Now, I have owned (past and current) various sports cars over the years. I will not argue that the maxima handles like my AWD Lancia Integrale, my classic Triumphs, my Integra, etc.....They are all lighter cars, and have different drivetrains and suspensions. But the maxima handles how I expect it to (even stock). It is a 3300-lb car that handles (wait for it....) like a 3300-lb car. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a GLE Maxima handles similar to a 3300-lb Buick. I would also say I don't think Buicks are unsafe any more than Maximas are.....

Safety is in knowing the limits of your car. The limits of the maxima may very well be lower than a BMW or a sportscar......it's the driver's job to compensate for any handling deficiency that the car may have.

But I ask again, if you think the maxima handles poorly, why do you own one? If you think it is "dangerous", why would you drive one?
I know exactly what you're talking about with that beltway commute. I have to drive that every weekend on my way to Woodbridge, VA. I can't imagine doing that every day in rush-hour weekday traffic. The "mixing bowl" there at Springfield is not as bad now that they have that new I-95 ramp open.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm going from stock suspension to HPs and Progress springs in the near future... they're all in, just gotta install em... I'll let ya know my opinion when its all done... not like my opinion should be a good deal or anything...
Old 10-06-2004, 08:41 AM

There is a reason a BMW the size of the maxima (5-series) costs twice as much......and handling is one of those reasons. I can't understand why everyone persists on trying to compare the Maxima with a BMW. First of all, it's pretty damn tough to find ANY sedan that will out-handle a BMW without AWD. Second. BMWs are RWD. The maxima is FWD. There are far different handling dynamics between FWD and RWD. Third. With all the problems we seem to have with the maxima, it is still a far more reliable car than the typical BMW. Fourth. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! If you buy a $40K mid-large sedan, you'll get alot of things on the car that are better than the maxima.

If you don't like the handling of the car, why did you buy it in the first place? I assume you test drove it, right? If the handling was so bad, Why not buy something else? I'll tell you why. You like the VQ30/35. You like alot of features for a cheap price. You like the look of the car...whatever.

To add - there are thousands and thousands of people out there who drive Maximas that are completely STOCK, who have no problems with the handling. I know several of these people and have never heard them complain about the maxima being "unsafe". Does the maxima have some body roll? Yes. But if you feel like the maxima's handling is unsafe, then one of the following is true:

1. You are driving WAY too hard on public streets, and should slow the F*CK down.
or
2. YOu are simply a sh1tty driver

And do all the suspension mods you want, they will not solve EITHER of the above two problems.......I have driven cars and SUV's that are WAY more "boat-feeling" than the maxima....it's all relative.
Irish...On point as always.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:05 AM

There is a reason a BMW the size of the maxima (5-series) costs twice as much......and handling is one of those reasons. I can't understand why everyone persists on trying to compare the Maxima with a BMW. First of all, it's pretty damn tough to find ANY sedan that will out-handle a BMW without AWD. Second. BMWs are RWD. The maxima is FWD. There are far different handling dynamics between FWD and RWD. Third. With all the problems we seem to have with the maxima, it is still a far more reliable car than the typical BMW. Fourth. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! If you buy a $40K mid-large sedan, you'll get alot of things on the car that are better than the maxima.

If you don't like the handling of the car, why did you buy it in the first place? I assume you test drove it, right? If the handling was so bad, Why not buy something else? I'll tell you why. You like the VQ30/35. You like alot of features for a cheap price. You like the look of the car...whatever.

To add - there are thousands and thousands of people out there who drive Maximas that are completely STOCK, who have no problems with the handling. I know several of these people and have never heard them complain about the maxima being "unsafe". Does the maxima have some body roll? Yes. But if you feel like the maxima's handling is unsafe, then one of the following is true:

1. You are driving WAY too hard on public streets, and should slow the F*CK down.
or
2. YOu are simply a sh1tty driver

And do all the suspension mods you want, they will not solve EITHER of the above two problems.......I have driven cars and SUV's that are WAY more "boat-feeling" than the maxima....it's all relative.

SLOW DOWN... Maybe you won't find yourself in as many "emergency situations"
Old 10-06-2004, 06:32 PM

nevermind. I guess my wording is loved by Maxima EXTREMISTS who like to manipulate. I guess I should have used more gentle wording because car enthusists know EVERYTHING. God we even have a guy who "knows" somebody in the military and thinks he knows how army regulations work and how many cops there are bordering miltary posts.

LEt me put it this way. I don;t care who you think you "know" in the military if a soldier was to have an average commander and get caught street racing he would not only be fined, lose rank, lose license all together, and probably receive over a month of consecutive extra duty. Also get caught with 1 beer in your system on MOST military posts your would be potentially prosecuted under UCMJ action. If you don't believe me go ask a post General because he is the person who sets, and enforces, the rules. In my mind if you are friends with such a responsible person your credibility is ruined. I PRAY TO GOD one of you "street racers" never hits a child and kills them...

Please MODERATOR LOCK this thread because it got absolutely nowheres. I guess I have to remember the "caliber" of people I am dealing with here. EXTREMISTS...

Don't know how you guys know that I speed. You guys must be riding in my passengers seat
Old 10-06-2004, 06:48 PM
BP
Donating Maxima.org Member

i think the only thing people are saying here is that the stock maxima driven within it's limits is "safe" on the stock suspension. the simplicity of it is that a stock maxima cannot be safely driven hard with the suspension constantly being upset. it's meant to be a comfortable passenger car with better driving dynamics and handling than a accord or a camry.

don't get upset because this was pointed out to you albeit rather harshly... if you think the maxima is unsafe when driven like 95% of the people who buy the car will drive it then your sense of 'normal driving' is seriously skewed. the simple fact is that if you hate the maxima so much for it's unsafe handling then you didn't test drive the car or your car is broken.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:06 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by mdloops
nevermind. I guess my wording is loved by Maxima EXTREMISTS who like to manipulate. I guess I should have used more gentle wording because car enthusists know EVERYTHING. God we even have a guy who "knows" somebody in the military and thinks he knows how army regulations work and how many cops there are bordering miltary posts.
FYI I am very familiar with the UCMJ in general, having lived and worked in the military environment for over 2 decades (oh, and by the way my job requires it). I'm also well aware of police presence in the vicinity of military bases (having to drive through them every day). And I know a hell of a lot more about the UCMJ than most active-duty military personnel do....so stop acting like you are the authority on all things military...there are plenty of military guys on these boards besides yourself.
Let me put it this way. I don;t care who you think you "know" in the military if a soldier was to have an average commander and get caught street racing he would not only be fined, lose rank, lose license all together, and probably receive over a month of consecutive extra duty. Also get caught with 1 beer in your system on MOST military posts your would be potentially prosecuted under UCMJ action. If you don't believe me go ask a post General because he is the person who sets, and enforces, the rules. In my mind if you are friends with such a responsible person your credibility is ruined. I PRAY TO GOD one of you "street racers" never hits a child and kills them...
1. I never said these guys are my friends. I said they are people I work with/near. I'm a little old to be hanging out with 18-year-old E-1's and E-2's...And like I said, I think street racing is stupid and don't condone it at all. Unfortunately, I am not these guys' mom, or CO - so I cannot tell them what they can and can't do.....they are aware of my thoughts involving street racing but I really don't think they care....they are not exactly rocket scientists.
2. I'm aware of the consequences for getting caught in these situations. But
getting caught is the key. You think these E-1's tell their CO every time they get pulled over for speeding off-post? I think not. Whether or not THEY are aware of the consequences of their actions - I couldn't tell you...I am not 18 and am not in their heads.....I guess they will find out if they get nabbed for Drinking/Driving, Racing, Reckless driving, etc....Guess what, just because someone's in the military doesn't automatically mean they follow the letter of the law...stop with the holier-than-thou act.

Also enough of this "EXTREMISTS" B.s.
This conversation started with responses to two particular points:
1. That the maxima is Dangerous to drive and
2. That the Couger can take corners "twice as fast" as a maxima.

Both of these are statements that I would consider EXTREME in their own right. While the first statement I suppose is open to opinions, the second statement is flat-out incorrect, as the numbers I posted clearly show.

Please MODERATOR LOCK this thread because it got absolutely nowheres. I guess I have to remember the "caliber" of people I am dealing with here. EXTREMISTS...
Yes, lock the thread because people are disagreeing with your positions and statements. Great idea. We should all just agree with everything everyone here says. In fact, lock ALL the threads where people disagree about things....

Don't know how you guys know that I speed. You guys must be riding in my passengers seat
So you have a y-pipe, catback, and CAI.... and you never exceed the speed limit? Well, that makes you and nobody else in this entire world. Good for you.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:07 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by BP_3.5
i think the only thing people are saying here is that the stock maxima driven within it's limits is "safe" on the stock suspension. the simplicity of it is that a stock maxima cannot be safely driven hard with the suspension constantly being upset. it's meant to be a comfortable passenger car with better driving dynamics and handling than a accord or a camry.

don't get upset because this was pointed out to you albeit rather harshly... if you think the maxima is unsafe when driven like 95% of the people who buy the car will drive it then your sense of 'normal driving' is seriously skewed. the simple fact is that if you hate the maxima so much for it's unsafe handling then you didn't test drive the car or your car is broken.
exactly....
Old 10-06-2004, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by BP_3.5

That is the thing. I LOVE this car. I just noticed that the following factors could contribute to a hazardous situation you may not be able to get out of with the stock suspension: ALL APPLY TO HIGHWAY SPEEDS

1)Being cut off and having to turn hard in any direction with limited space. (causing sliding)

2)less specifically at 70mph if you were to enter a hard turn the inercia of the cars weight would shift to one side of the car which was helped by body roll and in order to straighten it out most people would jerk the wheel over to the opposite side causing them to lose control.

Anybody who has ever lose control and slid sideways in a FWD car will know what I mean.

No hard feelings guys but I don''t like the personal attacks at my driving habits.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:13 PM

1. That the maxima is Dangerous to drive and
2. That the Couger can take corners "twice as fast" as a maxima.

I was exaggerating
Old 10-06-2004, 07:30 PM
retired moderator

From the first post in this thread: "Anybody besides me feel like the stock maxima suspension is too loose to be safe on the road"

I think it's pretty clear what you were saying: That the maxima is unsafe on the road. I don't see where the exaggeration is.

"That the Couger can take corners "twice as fast" as a maxima."
I realize that you were exaggerating, and my response was equally out-of-proportion. But the fact remains, that a maxima can actually take a corner FASTER than a Cougar, all things being equal. So exaggerating or not, it was an incorrect statement, even if you had said "the cougar can take corners faster than a maxima."

I'm not sure how we got all off-topic here. You started this thread. The thread is titled "Stock suspension SAFE??" That means you are asking OTHERS a question. I'm not sure why you're getting so up-in-arms when people answer the asked question in a way that disagrees with you. If you already KNEW the answer, why ask a self-serving question?

Anyhow, enough discussion about Cougars, UCMJ, Exaggerations, Italy, what our jobs are, etc. Let's get back to the original quesion at hand: Is the stock suspension SAFE??.

My final, all-inclusive personal opinion: Yes, in the hands of a driver who knows its limits and drives within those limits the Maxima with stock suspension is indeed safe. That's it.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:41 PM

From the first post in this thread: "Anybody besides me feel like the stock maxima suspension is too loose to be safe on the road"

I think it's pretty clear what you were saying: That the maxima is unsafe on the road. I don't see where the exaggeration is.

"That the Couger can take corners "twice as fast" as a maxima."
I realize that you were exaggerating, and my response was equally out-of-proportion. But the fact remains, that a maxima can actually take a corner FASTER than a Cougar, all things being equal. So exaggerating or not, it was an incorrect statement, even if you had said "the cougar can take corners faster than a maxima."

I'm not sure how we got all off-topic here. You started this thread. The thread is titled "Stock suspension SAFE??" That means you are asking OTHERS a question. I'm not sure why you're getting so up-in-arms when people answer the asked question in a way that disagrees with you. If you already KNEW the answer, why ask a self-serving question?

Anyhow, enough discussion about Cougars, UCMJ, Exaggerations, Italy, what our jobs are, etc. Let's get back to the original quesion at hand: Is the stock suspension SAFE??.

My final, all-inclusive personal opinion: Yes, in the hands of a driver who knows its limits and drives within those limits the Maxima with stock suspension is indeed safe. That's it.
thanks. I got defensive when people accused me of speedings/being a ****ty driver:

That is what upset me. Not the differences in opinions. Like you said I asked the question and wanted fair, not derogatory, responses. I appreciate those respectful responses and thank you for them.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:49 PM
retired moderator

I keep on saying we need a special text/font on the org to denote sarcasm and/or good-natured ribbing. This normal text always makes it seem like we're all so serious....and that we're all p1ssed off when in reality, people are just giving each other a hard time in good humor....oh well, what can you do.....
Old 10-06-2004, 08:29 PM

I don't know guys ... both of my Maximas are bone stock and I've been driving the 91 since I bought it new and being a motorcycle rider I drive rather agressively and at the speed levels you're discussing and above. I don't really see any handling problems with either of my cars .. but then again I'm not running gymkanas with them either.

My fast driving is all done on the hiway and have found no problems in several emergency swerves.

If your talking about problems that you experience in street road racing then I think that you've got to take Irish's advice and stfd. That's unsafe & uncool.

I've owned quite a few vehicles in the past 35 years and quite frankly my 03 SE is the best bang for the buck I've ever owned oh except for my GS850GN (0 - 100mph in 11.0 is a pretty good "bang" for $3,100.00)

If you feel that your 02 is such a bad handler why not just trade it in for something that will make you happier like a mini-s or (perish the thought) a new mustang.

Mr. Peabody
Old 10-06-2004, 08:38 PM

PS no put downs intended. Just my $0.02 on your original statement.

Peabody
Old 10-07-2004, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
PS no put downs intended. Just my $0.02 on your original statement.

Peabody
Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding guys. No hard feelings. Irish also cleared things up with an apology. I also work a lot like him and am under quite a bit of stress being deployed from NY to NC to GA for 1-1/2 years. HAd to drop out of college and put my life on hold like a lot of other people.

Glad we could all be adults and clear the air without anything getting too nasty.

Mark
Old 10-07-2004, 08:33 AM

oh and just to clarify I LOVE my maxima. I just would like much less body roll.

I also noticed when I have a lot of weight in the back the rear end bottoms out. If I was to get stiffer springs with a small drop like H&R would this correct that??

Mark
Old 10-07-2004, 08:40 AM

Glad that you like your car because you have by far the BEST color Max there is. I looked a long time for a Merlot SE to go along with my burgundy 91 but had to settle for super Black.

Mr. Peabody
Old 10-07-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Glad that you like your car because you have by far the BEST color Max there is. I looked a long time for a Merlot SE to go along with my burgundy 91 but had to settle for super Black.

Mr. Peabody
I know. I love Merlot. It seems like the "deepest" color. When it is waxes it looks incredible.

Mark
Old 10-07-2004, 09:57 AM

mdloops -----> I feel your pain... There has been times that my car feel unsure going in and coming out of corners. The floaty suspension is a matter that had been stressed upon for a while now.... dropping to car will solve your problem. The ride maybe a bit more rough but [b]WELL Worth The Money[b/]
Old 10-07-2004, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nyc2kMax
mdloops -----> I feel your pain... There has been times that my car feel unsure going in and coming out of corners. The floaty suspension is a matter that had been stressed upon for a while now.... dropping to car will solve your problem. The ride maybe a bit more rough but [b]WELL Worth The Money[b/]
Thank you for understanding. I am glad that for as many people who disagree, there are almost an equal amount who agree. Makes me feel like I am not going completely insane. I know I want to go with the H&R size drop. Just a matter of which springs because when people tell me that H&Rs have a "stock ride" it makes me think that it has stock handling and/or body roll.

Please disprove me
Old 10-07-2004, 11:25 AM

I honestly think the Nissan Suspension Sucks ***, Thier is no rear sway bar on that thing. So i put one on and it made a huge difference, i feel so much safer driving on the freeway, and not only that you can be more aggressive on the road, while chaning lanes or racing..
Old 10-07-2004, 11:48 AM

I know exactly what you're talking about. The first few times I pushed my max, I couldn't believe how unstable it felt. I immediatley purchased the FSTB and RSB to help the handling, which it did to some degree, but was still dissapointed. Then I realized that I just moved from a small precision handling honda prelude into the comfy luxurios maxima which added weight and 2 doors to my vehicle. The max is a different kind of beast. I will say it does handle ok though.....even though the body rollls extensively to the side, the max is still gripping the road and cutting around the corners nicely. The worst part imo is hitting midcorner bumps, that really unsettles the car and changes my cars line through the corner slightly. That is why I will eventually get the illuminas and a spring kit to help the handling even more.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Max51
I know exactly what you're talking about. The first few times I pushed my max, I couldn't believe how unstable it felt. I immediatley purchased the FSTB and RSB to help the handling, which it did to some degree, but was still dissapointed. Then I realized that I just moved from a small precision handling honda prelude into the comfy luxurios maxima which added weight and 2 doors to my vehicle. The max is a different kind of beast. I will say it does handle ok though.....even though the body rollls extensively to the side, the max is still gripping the road and cutting around the corners nicely. The worst part imo is hitting midcorner bumps, that really unsettles the car and changes my cars line through the corner slightly. That is why I will eventually get the illuminas and a spring kit to help the handling even more.
I agree... the only time I've felt the Maxima's suspension become incapable is in mid-corner bumps, or like one time I was speeding up a steep mountain curve and the road suddenly became bumpy... I noticed the slightest chirp of the rear tires going around that curve. (actually I didn't notice it, my roommate did, I had the music on... after that I turned it off )
Old 10-07-2004, 02:06 PM

hitting bumps while turning into a hard turn definately scares me because it seems like the floating for a split second feels almost like hydroplaning.

Mark
Old 10-07-2004, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by wdave
I have an 00 SE and recently drove an 02 SE, both with RSB and FSTB. I was amazed at how much softer the 02 suspension was. The 00 is not great, but acceptable, the 02 is flat unacceptable! I was under the impression that only the rear shocks had been softened by Nissan but the front seems softer too and the springs felt softer as well. Does anyone know the details of the differences between 00-01 and 02-03 SE suspensions?
I dunno what they did exactly but the 02/03 SE is indeed softer feeling than the 00/01, I think the softened it up for this reason. Since GXE's only made up 5% of the Max sales for 02/03 they knew most would opt for the Base SE instead so they had to take some of the "sport" out of it to sorta come to a happy median.