5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bleh, new and exciting front suspension noise thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 06:19 PM

Bleh, new and exciting front suspension noise thread

Heya ORGers,

So I installed new struts/springs today, Progress/Illuminas.

Long story short, there's a severe rattling/ker-chunking noise coming from both sides of the front suspension over bumps. I'm not talking potholes or severe bumps, I'm talking just regular bumps you'd encounter in the road at 15 - 60mph.

I'm not sure if this is the usual "front end noise" that some Maxima owners have reported in the past that went away after a few days, but it definately sounds like something is loose. However, I've torqued everything to spec, reused the OEM spring isolator, etc.

It sounds like something is either 1) making metal-to-metal contact, 2) making contact with the plastic wheel-well liner (I've verified that the brake lines are secured so that they won't do this).

Does anybody have any idea what this may be? Is it normal? Clues? I've found Housecor's site very useful - but the front-end diagnosis information doesn't appear to apply to the noises I'm hearing. No squeaks, just rattling.

Rattlelelrlttarrattlerattle-kerchunk-rattle.. (as you can see, my impersonation abilities are keen)

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2004, 06:24 PM
retired moderator

This sounds very much like you have a bad strut...I had the same problem, had front right strut replaced (under warranty) and it was fixed.....
Old 10-10-2004, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
This sounds very much like you have a bad strut...I had the same problem, had front right strut replaced (under warranty) and it was fixed.....
Interesting, I'll explore that option. It just seems odd that I would have been shipped two bad Illuminas at the same time. I handled them pretty carefully, I couldn't imagine how I could have damaged them. The ride seems pretty smooth, were it not for the rattling.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:23 PM
ABS

It sounds as though you don't have enough tension against the spring. Please confirm that you used a "spring compression" tool to compress those springs prior to the install. Double check that your brake line is "mounted" to the strut with the special clip. Double check that the three upper strut mountng bolts are tightened all the way down. The chances of getting two brand new struts and both being bad at once is low. More likely the same mistake made during install on both assemblies.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:02 PM
retired moderator

hmm...sorry I wasn't paying attention - totally missed the part about Illuminas - forget what I said...
Old 10-11-2004, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ABS
It sounds as though you don't have enough tension against the spring. Please confirm that you used a "spring compression" tool to compress those springs prior to the install. Double check that your brake line is "mounted" to the strut with the special clip. Double check that the three upper strut mountng bolts are tightened all the way down. The chances of getting two brand new struts and both being bad at once is low. More likely the same mistake made during install on both assemblies.
Yeap, thats it. And yes, believe me, I used a spring compressor. And got it on the asssembly in the correct fashion.

My problem seems to be that I converted nM to ft-lbs incorrectly and had completely undertightened the top hat bolt. Re-tightened, the noises seem to have disappeared!

Suspension is fun. Thanks for the help, folks.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:44 AM

Help

I Get A Squeeking Noise When I Take Some Bumps It Sounds Like It From The Front Left Wheel What Is Ittt????? How Do I Fix It
Old 11-10-2004, 12:02 PM

Take a look at the sway bar end links. I had a similar issue and searched all over until I noticed one seemed like it had a lot of play in it. Ordered a new one and problem solved.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:11 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by PaulyPoTz
I Get A Squeeking Noise When I Take Some Bumps It Sounds Like It From The Front Left Wheel What Is Ittt????? How Do I Fix It
I have a Berk Intake and the bracket squeeks in that area. Do you have an intake with a bracket? And you can chill with those caps.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:38 AM

thnx allot ill try it out
Old 11-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

After owning Illuminas for around 8 months, I've found one thing: They make some noise until they're "warmed up". These noises sound like something is loose in the front end to my ears, but they go away after driving a short distance. For instance, I can always hear the noise when I pull out of my garage, but I never hear anything when I pull in since the struts are warmed up.

So after all that, I ask this, does the sound go away after a few miles of driving?
Old 11-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by housecor
After owning Illuminas for around 8 months, I've found one thing: They make some noise until they're "warmed up". These noises sound like something is loose in the front end to my ears, but they go away after driving a short distance. For instance, I can always hear the noise when I pull out of my garage, but I never hear anything when I pull in since the struts are warmed up.

So after all that, I ask this, does the sound go away after a few miles of driving?
I'll agree with that. I've always felt that the Illuminas sound and feel different after a few miles of driving versus having just started it up in the parking lot in the morning.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:41 PM

I've got the same problem but I have stock struts.I think it's the radiator or the intake.