5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

"Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning"

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004 | 05:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by sleepermax
You may just want play dumb and not tell them you did the IALVP or anything else....I wouldn't unless you have a good realtionship with the service dept.
I"m going to tell them everything I know. Taking off the throttle body won't void out any warrantys and they'll beable to fix it a whole lot faster.
Old 11-02-2004 | 08:18 AM

New Throttle body will cost around $700!!!
Old 11-02-2004 | 09:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by WildmanAL
I"m going to tell them everything I know. Taking off the throttle body won't void out any warrantys and they'll beable to fix it a whole lot faster.
IMHO, If it's under warranty I would just take the car and I let them do all the work. There's not really a point to tell them, you did this or did that. It won't really matter. BUT It can depend on the dealer, they can take it into consideration and check it out further. For me, I was told that they will repalce the TB, with that, they obviously have to reset the ECU and the other procedure required to make sure the engine run at it's peak. If something goes wrong, then it's their fault, All the dealership's work are warrantied for 1 year or 12K miles. The TB is covered by the Engine Warr. ( 5 Yrs, 60K miles ) the ECU is part of the Fed Emissions Warr. ( 5 or 6 yrs, 80K miles )

You can tell them what your car is doing and tell them that your car pings a lot ( if it really does ) , that's usually caused by bad timing and if your using lower octace gas.Tell them that you took it to a mechanic for a quick checkup and noticed the timing was off. They can take it into consideration and check that out too. Just let them know what it does. Make sure you tell them to put it in the cars notes so that the tech knows what to look for, aside from the codes he'll have to pull out.

You might end up needing a new ECU too. If it timing doesn't get fix or the engine doesn't perform better after the new TB, then yeah, the'll replace that too. If they can't fix it, the'll just replace it. I'm not sure if I'll need a new ECU too. We'll just wait and see.
Old 11-02-2004 | 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by chillywilly7g
IMHO, If it's under warranty I would just take the car and I let them do all the work. There's not really a point to tell them, you did this or did that. It won't really matter. BUT It can depend on the dealer, they can take it into consideration and check it out further. For me, I was told that they will repalce the TB, with that, they obviously have to reset the ECU and the other procedure required to make sure the engine run at it's peak. If something goes wrong, then it's their fault, All the dealership's work are warrantied for 1 year or 12K miles. The TB is covered by the Engine Warr. ( 5 Yrs, 60K miles ) the ECU is part of the Fed Emissions Warr. ( 5 or 6 yrs, 80K miles )

You can tell them what your car is doing and tell them that your car pings a lot ( if it really does ) , that's usually caused by bad timing and if your using lower octace gas.Tell them that you took it to a mechanic for a quick checkup and noticed the timing was off. They can take it into consideration and check that out too. Just let them know what it does. Make sure you tell them to put it in the cars notes so that the tech knows what to look for, aside from the codes he'll have to pull out.

You might end up needing a new ECU too. If it timing doesn't get fix or the engine doesn't perform better after the new TB, then yeah, the'll replace that too. If they can't fix it, the'll just replace it. I'm not sure if I'll need a new ECU too. We'll just wait and see.

I have 54K so I just sqeezed into having the TB under warranty. Did you tell them that you cleaned your throttle body. I'm going out in the garage right now to put the stock air box back on for tomorrow.

I also noticed that my mpg went from 24.5 to 19.8
Old 11-02-2004 | 11:17 PM

I have 54K so I just sqeezed into having the TB under warranty. Did you tell them that you cleaned your throttle body. I'm going out in the garage right now to put the stock air box back on for tomorrow.

I also noticed that my mpg went from 24.5 to 19.8
I didn't tell them that i cleaned the TB. I didn't want to risk having to be told since I messed with it, I now have to pay....
I did notice that my mpg went down, but for a day or so, I guess the MAF is getting used to the stock intake again. Well, good luck and keep us posted on what happens.
Old 11-03-2004 | 05:51 AM

I don't know if my stock intake did it or just driving on the highway at 80 mph, but my trip to the dealership this morning changed my mph from 18.9 to 25.5. As soon as I got off the highway and back in stop and go traffic if started dropping and I was at like 24 when I pulled into the dealership. I'm guessing with this high idle and stop and go traffic it eats gas because my normal driving is always in morning traffic which I'm crawling.

I didn't tell them anything this morning. Just told them the code and it was idleing "higher than expected". I really didn't have much time to say more since there were several people behind me in line and the guy seemed to be in a hurry. I hope I get a good phone call before noon.

He did mention a $90 diagnosis fee, but if they prove the TB or ECU to be defective I don't see how they could charge me that.
Old 11-03-2004 | 09:21 AM

I was told that too since i was out of my basic warranty, they would check it out. Depending on what it was and if it is under warranty, I would be looking at a $75 diagnostic fee plus the defected part if the part wasn't covered. took them about two hours....on a slow day. i was waiting and I just went to the service advisor and told him what was wrong. He just told me that they have to replace the TB. BUT he had to check if it was covered. results were it was and so they ordered it. I just have to call today if they actually have it so I can get it replaced on Friday.

Like i said before, Good luck and hope everything comes out ok. you could probably give the dealership a call, sometimes they might forget and it'll be hours until they get to you and contact you.
Old 11-03-2004 | 11:00 AM

I just called them and they're still working on it. I told them about how I reset the idle and when I turned the car off then back on the computer had gone back to what it was. They said yeah they had found that out and was right now checking out the computer to see what parts needed to be replaced. He didn't say anything about warranty so I'm hoping it is. He just said when they figure it out they'll call me and we can discuss what I'm going to do.

After this is over I'm going to start a new thread warning 5.5th gen maximas about cleaning the throttle body.
Old 11-03-2004 | 01:13 PM

Hell yeah, Dealership just called and said the mechanism of the actuator inside the throttle body shorted and will be covered under the powertrain warranty. Thank god because he said it would have been $1000 to replace. I'm leaving now to go pick up my baby.
Old 11-03-2004 | 01:20 PM

I've got to find a dealership that will do that for me. I wonder if Lynnes Nissan in Bloomfield, NJ will do it.
Old 11-03-2004 | 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
I've got to find a dealership that will do that for me. I wonder if Lynnes Nissan in Bloomfield, NJ will do it.
If you're idleing high like I was you're probably also eating gas. Just drop the car off and just see what they say. The computer is covered up to 80K and powertrain to 60K. I mpg is still acting crazy on me, but hopefully after tomorrow of me driving it it will be back at it's usual 23-24mpg.
Old 11-03-2004 | 10:57 PM

Hell yeah, Dealership just called and said the mechanism of the actuator inside the throttle body shorted and will be covered under the powertrain warranty. Thank god because he said it would have been $1000 to replace. I'm leaving now to go pick up my baby.
Congrats everything went out ok. i'm going Friday back to the dealer to get my TB replaced.

I was reading the other quote you said that it's still acting a little off but i guess the computer is relearning you driving habits and the engine's fuel curve. Just give it a few days and she'll be back to her good ol' self again.
Old 11-03-2004 | 11:54 PM

If you're idleing high like I was you're probably also eating gas. Just drop the car off and just see what they say. The computer is covered up to 80K and powertrain to 60K. I mpg is still acting crazy on me, but hopefully after tomorrow of me driving it it will be back at it's usual 23-24mpg.
I took it in about 6 months ago to a Nissan dealer and they told me that my foglight rewire messed up the ECU so they wouldn't do it.....since then I've been driving like that and I seem to get the same milage and I feel fast... Gotta hit the track.
Old 11-04-2004 | 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
I took it in about 6 months ago to a Nissan dealer and they told me that my foglight rewire messed up the ECU so they wouldn't do it.....since then I've been driving like that and I seem to get the same milage and I feel fast... Gotta hit the track.
How did you rewire your fogs? If you did it like the rest of us you could tell them their full of **** and they absolutely have no idea what they're talking about. All we're doing is using the current that turns on the relay that goes to the tail lights to also turn on the fogs. The computer has no idea.
Old 11-04-2004 | 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by chillywilly7g
Anybody who lives in Los Angeles, CA area know where I can purchase Seafoam? THANKS!
Just purchased some at NAPA autoparts in Long Beach at 23rd and Long Beach Blvd. So, NAPA carries it. Just go to their website and find the closest store to you. http://www.napaonline.com/ Haven't used it yet though. Ohh and you might want to call them first to see if they actually have it in stock.
Old 11-04-2004 | 08:14 AM

You people suck. I was going to get up this morning and clean my TB and now I read all of this. I don't know what to do now.
Old 11-04-2004 | 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by spastic
You people suck. I was going to get up this morning and clean my TB and now I read all of this. I don't know what to do now.
Well I have 56K on my car and the throttle body was hardly dirty. I shorted it out by not disconnecting the battery before removing it. I wouldn't take off the TB, but just spray carb cleaning inside it.
Old 11-04-2004 | 11:44 AM

Well I took a chance and cleaned it. Disconnected the battery, pulled out the airbox, pulled off the TB but I decided to clean it while it was still connected to the wire harness. I didn't move the butterfly valve at all. Gunk TB cleaner a bunch of paper towels an old tooth brush. Put it all back together and took the car out and had no problems.
Old 11-04-2004 | 09:10 PM

My TB cleaning experience

This is an interesting thread. I am pretty new to the DIY car maintenance but a couple of weeks ago I decided to try cleaning the TB myself on my 2K2. I disconnected the MAF, removed the entire intake up to the TB, but cleaned the TB in place. I did NOT disconnect the battery as I probably should have and I also fiddled with the butterfly valve as Wildman did and caused all his problems. Everything went fine except when I got it put back together and started the car, the CEL came on IMMEDIATELY. I took the car for a drive and everything seemed to run fine, so I performed the ECU reset to get rid of the CEL. It disappeared and has not returned and the car seems to be running normally.

Any thoughts on what caused my CEL to come on? Will it always come on if you disconnect the MAF without disconnecting the battery?
Old 11-04-2004 | 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by spastic
Well I took a chance and cleaned it. Disconnected the battery, pulled out the airbox, pulled off the TB but I decided to clean it while it was still connected to the wire harness. I didn't move the butterfly valve at all. Gunk TB cleaner a bunch of paper towels an old tooth brush. Put it all back together and took the car out and had no problems.
You didn't move the butterfly while I did when I cleaned my TB, I guess the movement somewhat confused the sensors and screwed it up.
I cleaned it sometime before and I didn't move the butterfly and it worked fine. Now, since I'm going to have it replaced, might as well clean the whole intake with some Seafoam. ( found some finally; THAT STUFF IS GOOD ).

I'm just going off topic from here....Use some Seafoam Motor treatment through the brake vacumn line and while the engine is off, use some Deepcreep in the TB and intake. really get that stuff in there. let it sit for the remainder of time for the Motor treament to finish and start it up.
It's ready for tomorrow now for the TB replacement

My car was SMOKING!!!!