5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

which is best under 35K

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2001, 01:42 AM
J1Max

Hi everyone!! I am in the market for a new car, and these three cars come to my mind: 2002 acura tl-s, 2002 lexus is300(manual), or maxima AE(manual and fully loaded). They are about the same prices when fully loaded, and i cant decide witch to get. I currently own a 97 maxima se fully loaded(auto). i've been enjoying this car from the date i bought it, and it's been problem-free. So, i was thinking about getting another max. i heard that more powerful version of maxima is coming out soon. any info on that? any style changes, ect.? right now, im strongly leaning towards is300 manual or tl-s with navi..what's your thoughts?

Old 04-15-2001, 09:34 AM
bde756

I think IS300 is definitely the car to get
it is RWD, and i've driven TL, I30 and IS300
IS300 is a performance car, very sporty while maxima and CL is too big and fwd...

Old 04-15-2001, 09:41 AM

For power, the AE and IS300 is extremely close. But for braking, IS300 is the best. With sport suspension, the IS300 will have the best handling and braking. If you buy a Lexus, you are guranteed of having a problem free + high resale value car.

TL-S should be the last in your list because its just an American made car.
Old 04-15-2001, 09:42 AM

I agree that the IS300 is the car. 260HP from the -S is nice but it comes though a slushbox... OK, a semi slushbox but a slushbox none the less. (I would be in a TL if it had a stick but since it didn't I came to mu senses!

The only thing is that here, Montreal, Canada, the IS is MSRP 5000$ more. I don't know that the car is worth that much more. Dollar for dollar, I would say it would be fun to try the IS, but it IS smaller inside. Even as a single male I didn't like the IS due to it's size.
Old 04-15-2001, 10:11 AM

Who cares if it's made in America!!!!

Originally posted by LoveSick
For power, the AE and IS300 is extremely close. But for braking, IS300 is the best. With sport suspension, the IS300 will have the best handling and braking. If you buy a Lexus, you are guranteed of having a problem free + high resale value car.

TL-S should be the last in your list because its just an American made car.
If you read those magazine updates on cars they drive, the Tl is a problem free car. In consumer reports, they recomend for RELIABLE USED cars, the Tl from 96-2000. It's a CR good bet car like the MAXIMA!!!

If you are going to mod your car, definately go for that IS300. There was a guy on a Is300 board that had a 550hp monster. It's the same engine as the supra TT. If you want speed, and aren't planning to mod the car, then get the AE w/ 5spd. But if you go for a slushbox, then the TL-S is a sweet car that comes fully loaded. And now they have those bad *** red/white tail lights. But Comptech said they are coming out with a supercharger for the Accord/Tl/Cl, so they will be a quick car too. and the type-s cars react every good to mods, like the CL-S gets 30hp from headers alone.
Old 04-15-2001, 09:03 PM
J1Max

i want to get a car that's fun to drive as well as comfortable. i have a 97 maxima se, and it's been problem free so far except engine check light that came on at 55k miles ($200 to fix..they replaced some module or something). anyway, im planning to buy a new car soon. Now, i want to get a car for around 35k, and i think lexus is300 with manual will be very fast and fun. just my thoguht.

Old 04-15-2001, 09:12 PM

The new TL looks sweet.

My choice would be between the TL and the AE. Whichever felt the best after test driving is what I would get.
Old 04-15-2001, 09:28 PM

The Maxima is a family sedan, if you have a family and you want also kind of a sporty look then go with the max. It has pretty good handling, great top speed and acceleration.

If you want more luxurious sedan then go with the Acura -S type(260 hp), its also a very good car, its better in most ways then the max but cost more $. personally i like the max better.

If you don't need a family car and want to enjoy a sport car that has good handling, breaking, top speed etc then go the IS300 manual.
Old 04-15-2001, 09:43 PM

look into a bmw 3 series...if back seat room is not an issue for you (including the lexus is300 i'm guessing backseat room isn't important)...the manual 330i does 0-60 in under 6 seconds and 1/4 mile in mid to low 14 secs stock...i am currently selling my car (i'll make a post about it later) and a 330Ci is on the top of my list...the front seat has a ton more room than the max...i am 6'3" and with the seat in the bimmer back all the way, i actually had to slide up a little in my seat to push the clutch all the way down to the floor...in my max i sit w/ the seat all the way back all the time...test drive a bimmer at night...the interior is amazing

out of the other cars you are considering...it depends what you are looking for in a car...straight line accel...the tl-s will in...handling, the lexus wins...if you are willing to wait until 2002 for the lexus 5spd, you may as well wait until 2002 for the new 260hp maxima (gtr maybe...no labels on it yet)...same bodystyle just a more powerful 3.5 liter engine...that should be in the same 30-35k price range
Old 04-15-2001, 10:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Even though the sticker prices maybe close, the overall cost out the door is probably better with the Max. Nissan has low financing for 60 months and is more likely to knock more cash off the MSRP than Acura or Lexus. At least that has been my experience. The comments about rear space are very valid. It all depends on what you want to use the car. My back seat is often full with the family. I fit 2 child car seats back there and still have room for an adult to sit in the back to mind the kids. When I am by self, the car takes on a different character and is plenty of fun to drive. Save some cash and get a Maxima. You won't regret it.
y ?
Old 04-16-2001, 08:52 AM
4 Maximas and counting

Depends on what you want in a car...

Do you want a manual or an Auto?
(TL is Auto only, SE-R will have 6spd)

Is RWD much nicer than FWD for you?
(IS300 is the only RWD)

Do you need a roomy car?
(The IS300 is smaller, more like BMW 3 Series)

Would you consider a wagon?
(IS300 SportCross is only choice)

Is HP the biggest factor?
(TL-S and SE-R will have 260HP)

Would you consider performance mods for your car?
(IS300 may have more mods available due to Supra crowd. Maxima has pretty good choices as well)

Originally posted by J1Max
Hi everyone!! I am in the market for a new car, and these three cars come to my mind: 2002 acura tl-s, 2002 lexus is300(manual), or maxima AE(manual and fully loaded). They are about the same prices when fully loaded, and i cant decide witch to get. I currently own a 97 maxima se fully loaded(auto). i've been enjoying this car from the date i bought it, and it's been problem-free. So, i was thinking about getting another max. i heard that more powerful version of maxima is coming out soon. any info on that? any style changes, ect.? right now, im strongly leaning towards is300 manual or tl-s with navi..what's your thoughts?