5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HID theft results in class action lawsuit vs Nissan, add your name

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 12:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HID theft results in class action lawsuit vs Nissan, add your name

There has been a class action suit filed on behalf of Maxima owners who had there HID's ripped off. You can view the substance of the suit at the following URL, you can also add your contact info to potentially get your name added to the complaint.
http://www.bigclassaction.com/class_action/nissan.html

Also the state of NJ has sued Nissan as well over HID theft, check that out at: http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/nissan_nj.html
Old 10-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Z

Stop. For the love of God.

Please!
Old 10-31-2004, 01:23 PM

Oh please, that's like saying that the window can be broken with an ordinary hammer, therefore Nissan is responsible. **** like this is only going to make Nissan pass the costs of this lawsuit on to the consumer
Old 10-31-2004, 01:33 PM

why won't nissan just make a non HID replacement?

and...is it legal to shoot someone stealing your HIDs, lol, i guess thats not funny, but seriously, can you?
Old 10-31-2004, 01:36 PM
Cletus

Old 10-31-2004, 01:45 PM
retired moderator

Typical American attitude. Something bad happens to you because of CRIMINALS, but since you can't catch the criminals, might as well SUE someone else.....so Nissan will spend millions to defend the lawsuit (in theory) and IF by some chance the "class action" wins, all of you with HIDs will get a Coke and a Smile, and the lawyers doing the suing will make millions. Then Nissan will pass the costs on to the consumer, and every Nissan product will be more expensive.

We better start a lawsuit against all the wheel manufacturers too, since they make it way too easy for your rims to get jacked.

And the stereo manufacturers too....

And the window manufacturers.

SUCH BULLSH-T.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:18 PM
SuPeRmOd

this info is so old, they already settled.

not sure but:
thought the datadots and bracket was how Nissan settled?

Originally Posted by Jace1283
and...is it legal to shoot someone stealing your HIDs, lol, i guess thats not funny, but seriously, can you?
i'd atleast fire a round off near them to bring to their attention what the hell they are doing.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:38 PM
retired moderator

You guys think Nissan doesn't KNOW? There have been TONS of instances where Nissan dealers have had HIDs stolen out of 10-20 MAXIMAS AT ONCE!
Old 10-31-2004, 04:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i disagree with a lot of the above posts

there's no need to bash 5.5 genenrs by using gif's and sayin crap like "IT"S BULLSH_T" if theyr'e trying to get something back for nissan's faulty design. don't discourage a class action just cuz u may hate lawyers.

and please dont say there's no fault in the design, cuz if u dont think there is, well...
Old 10-31-2004, 04:39 PM
retired moderator

The point is....THEY won't get ANYTHING back. Some lawyers will, and the owners will get a letter from Nissan offering to install Data Dots (big whoop)......The Maxima owners are being used the same way smokers were used during the tobacco litigation. I've smoked for 10 years or so, and guess what? Of the $25 billion tobacco settlement...I sure didn't get any, nor (that I know of) did ANY smoker. Ever heard of Peter Angelos? (owner of the Baltimore Orioles and super-lawyer). Yeah, he made about $150 million from the tobacco settlement. (and he still won't get good players ) .

That's why I say that these class-action suits are worthless......

Funny how I haven't seen any lawsuits against Porsche.....I read an article the other day saying that Porsches are the #1 HID theft target in Florida....
Old 10-31-2004, 04:46 PM

something has to be done, the fact is apparently, that someone with HIDs will constantly have to keep replacing them bacause they are constantly being stolen. That is a completely helpless position and SOMETHING has to be done. Something that brings a change, a lawsuit, maxima owners averaging 5 murders a week catching HID theifs, whatever else. 02-03 HID owners need something that makes HID lights completely steal proof (at least destroyed if stolen which will eventually deter if everyone has it) or nissan simply designs a non HID headlight which cant be difficult and is the obvious answer, a non HID just seems so obvious.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:49 PM

stop comparing it to stupid things like windows and rims because all cars are the same in those categories unless they have bulletproof windows. Not all cars have easy to steal $1000 HIDS. think
Old 10-31-2004, 05:02 PM

i think people whoever started this idea or joins this bullsh!t are suffering brain-malfunction. If u don't like HID on ur car, just f*cking sell them on Ebay and get 2k~2K1 headlight and put HID bulb inside or trade them. Nissan has nothing to do with stealing ur lights. It's those low-lifes.

also, if u had a Lamborghini today and it got stolen. Would u sue Lamborghini and say. " Why u people make those cars and make those thieves love to steal it?"
Old 10-31-2004, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bl_asd
. If u don't like HID on ur car, just f*cking sell them on Ebay and get 2k~2K1 headlight and put HID bulb inside or trade them. .
Are you SURE? I'm under the impression that 01s wont work in 02-03
Old 10-31-2004, 05:11 PM

Are you SURE? I'm under the impression that 01s wont work in 02-03
they work alright if u changed the harness. just like us, we have to change harness in order to put HID on our cars. But u guys get a little bit gap thou....
Old 10-31-2004, 05:34 PM
retired moderator

maxima owners averaging 5 murders a week catching HID theifs, whatever else.
wtf are you talking about?

02-03 HID owners need something that makes HID lights completely steal proof (at least destroyed if stolen which will eventually deter if everyone has it) or nissan simply designs a non HID headlight which cant be difficult and is the obvious answer, a non HID just seems so obvious.
They have, it's called the HIDs on the 2k4 Maxima, which are not being stolen. Nissan changed the design. You cannot secure the 5.5th gen HIDs without either mounting them permanently (welding, epoxy, etc, which would make them impossible to replace if broken) or putting a steel cage over the front. Light housings are made of plastic mostly, and can easily be busted out, even if the brackets are stronger.

In the case of my wife's Mazda 3, the HID and non-HID lights are IDENTICAL (HIDs are optional, not standard) so a thief has no idea if the light is HID or not. Unfortuanely, thieves know that ALL 2002-3 maximas have HIDs.....

Not all cars have easy to steal $1000 HIDS.
There are actually many cars out there with HIDs that are probably easy to steal. There have been tons of articles about Porsches, Audis, and other cars getting their HIDs stolen frequently. We just hear about the Maxima HID thefts because (surprise) we are on a Maxima forum . I bet if you go to Porsche forums they are talking about stolen PORSCHE HIDs, not Maximas
Old 11-01-2004, 12:53 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

As much as I hate stickies, there really ought to be a HID sticky.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:57 AM
Says.."No mo Maximas for me!"

Originally Posted by irish44j
wtf are you talking about?

They have, it's called the HIDs on the 2k4 Maxima, which are not being stolen. Nissan changed the design.
irish, actually 2k4's are getting stolen as well. Take a look on ebay. They are all over the place.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:10 AM
BP
Donating Maxima.org Member

5.5gen HIDs are probably stolen more frequently than other cars because they're easier to identify. there's also more 5.5 gens out there than 6th gens (for now) which is why we hear about it more.

HID theft in other cars are probably not as much because they're not as easy to identify, and they're probably higher end cars which are more likely to be garaged and not parked in lots.

personally i think it's moronic to sue a manufacturer because our cars are targeted by thieves. nissan's only responsibility is to make sure the equipment functions correctly and doesn't fall off the car.

it'd be funny if they counter sued the complaintants for parking their cars in unsecured locations.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaZero
As much as I hate stickies, there really ought to be a HID sticky.
I agree with ya man.... we're getting threads about What Can I Do To Prevent HID Theft, My HIDs Got Stolen, etc... just about everyday now....
Old 11-01-2004, 08:02 AM
SuPeRmOd

am i wrong that the settlement was Nissan will install DataDots (tracers) and a bracket to render HIDs useless or unattainable?

sucks that this causes more damage for theft attempts, but after awhile, thefts will stop. Nissan should of also advertised about this.

04s are a lot harder to get to, but apparently have been taken. eBay ones "w/ broken tabs". i gave some suggestions to help deter but not stop on here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=350359

otherwise all you can do is not own a Max in Jersey or NY. move, or change cars, or don't park the Max in public.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:47 AM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

thats why i like the design on bmws so much its just a big thick plastic plate then the projectors that are sealed up inside the engine bay, and if anybody ever tries to get the hood open they will be deafend by that annoying siren. you cant just pull those out easily at all.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:05 AM

come why sue nissan. if someone breaks in my house can i sue the builder. lets stop the maddness. this country is sue happy ......................makes me sick to my stomach. your best defense is to keep a eye on your car and if you see someone around it .
Old 11-01-2004, 09:40 AM

first off for a class action suit to make any headway you'd need alot more than a few thousand people to file, maybe if everyone in america owned a 5.5 max then it would have a chance.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:23 AM

i'm just disappointed in nissan for the plague of problems with the 5.5 gens. i've gone through 2 mafs and i know a lot of people have gone through more, my damn bose stereo is having the left side speakers cutting out again for the second time, and then there's the HID theft, which i haven't been a victim of(knock on wood). Money from a class action suit wouldn't make me nearly as happy as a mafs that won't blow out, a stereo that works wthout banging on the side of the center console, and some HID's with metal mounting brackets.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:08 PM

i suggest you get another car since u have so many problems with a VQ35 Maxima.

Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
i'm just disappointed in nissan for the plague of problems with the 5.5 gens. i've gone through 2 mafs and i know a lot of people have gone through more, my damn bose stereo is having the left side speakers cutting out again for the second time, and then there's the HID theft, which i haven't been a victim of(knock on wood). Money from a class action suit wouldn't make me nearly as happy as a mafs that won't blow out, a stereo that works wthout banging on the side of the center console, and some HID's with metal mounting brackets.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:59 PM

this is just another example of the downside of a society of way too many lawyers, and way too much greed. this law-suit is probably the result of one of those commercials you see about things that happen to people, and lawyers see a great opportunity for a cool million bucks (i.e. "mesothelioma" and "did you buy your child this toy last christmas"). these class action starting lawyers are worse than fu**ing ambulance chasers. i bet that only like 10 at most, out of those 600 and some odd people who had thier headlights stolen, would have even thought about filing a lawsuit, but wait this is money hungry america so mabey more.

"for those who rewrite the constitution, FU** off and die mother-fu**ers we'll start a revolution" - biohazard