5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Should I keep the PR CAI?
Keep it, the gains are there you just can't feel it
57.14%
Sell it to me!!
42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Sell my Place Racing CAI or not POLL

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 08:35 AM

Sell my Place Racing CAI or not POLL

My problem is the only thing it feels like I gained with my intake is a little poorer gas mileage and maybe a few horses. I spent like $240 on the whole intake and it raised the noise in the cabin a little and increased vibrations a little. I am not sure if it was a good trade off. I liked how the engine was smoother and quiter before the intake. I am thinking of taking the car to a dyno to see what kind of power I am putting out... I also have a y-pipe and catback...

Are the gaines justified and proven to warrent me not selling it?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

Is the $140 loss you are going to take in selling worth it?
Old 11-12-2004, 09:04 AM

not sure. That is why I am asking. The money I gain from selling it would be put toward a pulley maybe..
Old 11-12-2004, 09:21 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Unless you have a recent BEFORE dyno, I doubt you'll know what gains it gave you alone.

New airbox/intake systems are pretty good nowadays, so you'll never notice 5-7whp, if that, from the butt-dyno. Also, that CAI will perform even better over the stock intake during hot heat-soaked stop-n-go driving. I know with my stock intake when it is hot out, it's a dog. I've done ghetto colder air airbox hacks on other cars and its pretty noticeable.

Your focus shouldn't be on what an individual mod will get you, but the total of all the mods you intend to do. Say the CAI gives you 7whp, the exhaust 10whp, and the UDP say another 3whp, you'll have added 20whp, which if you could do back-to-back butt-dyno runs would probably be noticeable.

I agree the noise penalty may or may not make that added 7whp worthwhile, but IMO now that you have already spent the money and cut a hole in your car, you might as well just keep it and start working towards the next mod.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:41 AM

Maybe I can just sell the Cold air attachment?
Old 11-12-2004, 11:18 AM

PR CAI Noise

When you say noise, what exactly do you mean? Is that noise meaning the hiss of the intake ( which I think sounds pretty good ), or another type of irritating rattling or something? Also, is there a definite sound difference between a short ram and a CAI? I must admit I love the sound of a Civic intake, but don't know if I'd like it all the time.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:43 PM

i would imagine that the gas mileage would be BETTER, because it is making the engine more efficient. correct me if i am wrong.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So if you sell it, what are you going to replace it with, a WAI? That will not exactly be an improvement from what you have now. I say keep it, and move on to the next mod.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:15 PM

I say send it over here and I'll send you my Berk... one for one exchange...

Just kidding... keep it man...
Old 11-12-2004, 02:52 PM
scopium

i'm sorry but some of these threads are really stupid
like this one
your asking people to decide for you.. cant u decide for yourself man...
its your car... your intake and your money .. so YOU should decide whether you want to keep it or not..
come on...

Old 11-12-2004, 03:16 PM

Thanks for your input Puppet, I appreciate it.

*******(oops i mean scopium)
I WILL decide but when you're having a tough time deciding you ask for second and third opinions right? I guess you have NEVER ASKED anybody for advice.

'nough said. Think before you flame....

You guys have made me realize keeping it would be the best option. Your arguments greatly outweigh mine. Maybe there is something I can do to make it a little more smooth. Maybe better braces to hold it in place.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:46 PM

im glad this issued is settled. cards anyone?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by mdloops
Thanks for your input Puppet, I appreciate it.

*******(oops i mean scopium)
I WILL decide but when you're having a tough time deciding you ask for second and third opinions right? I guess you have NEVER ASKED anybody for advice.

'nough said. Think before you flame....

You guys have made me realize keeping it would be the best option. Your arguments greatly outweigh mine. Maybe there is something I can do to make it a little more smooth. Maybe better braces to hold it in place.
What type of braces are you refering to? What types of problems were you having? How was the sound from the CAI? Did you ever run it as a short ram? Sorry for the 10,000 ?'s, but just trying to make up my mind about purchasing the PR CAI on that GD. Please let me know!
Old 11-12-2004, 04:25 PM

1) Braces to hold it "dead firm" so it doesn't wiggle AT ALL
2) Problems? I would not call them problems. The sound is great but you will feel a little more vibration in the pedal
3)I ran it as a short ram and it works well that way too. The growl isn't quite as loud..
4) Probably the best intake you can buy for the 02-up maxima. I can give you a more full writeup tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by mdloops
1) Braces to hold it "dead firm" so it doesn't wiggle AT ALL
2) Problems? I would not call them problems. The sound is great but you will feel a little more vibration in the pedal
3)I ran it as a short ram and it works well that way too. The growl isn't quite as loud..
4) Probably the best intake you can buy for the 02-up maxima. I can give you a more full writeup tomorrow.
Thanks for the help. I'm interested in seeing that write up when you have the chance.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:44 PM

UDP wont add HP, it simply makes less work for your engine because its lighter, so if you have no mods, it wont help much.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by super maxi-pad
UDP wont add HP, it simply makes less work for your engine because its lighter, so if you have no mods, it wont help much.
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm still hearing different things about this. The UDP will free up, not create hp, when used in conjunction with other mods, like an intake, y-pipe, etc..... is this right?

And MDLoops has other mods, intake, y-pipe, b-pipe... so like Ice said... an UDP will give him a little more hp....

What was your point again, Maxi-Pad? I'm not sure what you were trying to get at.... unless you missed something... or maybe I missed something...
Old 11-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Z

UDP is essentially a weight reduction mod. The lighter the pulley, the less strength the car uses to rotate it. Much like lightweight rims, freeing up a lot of performance.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
UDP is essentially a weight reduction mod. The lighter the pulley, the less strength the car uses to rotate it. Much like lightweight rims, freeing up a lot of performance.
Right, so it does "free up" hp when used with other mods...
Old 11-13-2004, 02:26 AM

yeah it frees it up so it gives u more hp at the crank, its pretty simple i dont know what the debate is over...UDP's are pretty basic
Old 11-13-2004, 10:43 AM

you are on the money Puppet. Although one reason I want to get an UDP is so it would free up some HP lower in the rpm range. Most mods like exhaust/intake are mainly high RPM gains, but if you have seen a dyno for an UDP you will see the gain is pretty much equal throughout the entire rpm band...