5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

4th or 5th generation, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Z

I'd love for this to happen.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:46 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I got a few more tricks up my sleeve, waiting on some expenssive pieces to come in before I repleace my VIAS- don't wanna **** around with JB welding my old one. Valve covers and front covers have to come off for this mod I might not run 1/4 mile, but I do enjoy street racing sometimes... I seriously don't care what I run in the 1/4 mile as I love road racing. All I gotta say is she will sound little loppy :P
Old 11-22-2004, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
Well if you're going to buy a 5th gen go for a 2002. It's not really worth buying the very last of the 3.0 maximas, not that they aren't good cars, but the 02-03 are just that much more powerfull.

Since I'm poor and can only afford an early 4th gen, I will want to swap a 3.5 in it and enjoy the fact that it weights only 29xx pounds and that 1995 are the lightest maximas ever made but if you got the money go for 2002-2003. Fastest maximas ever.

It is VERY, VERY, VERY difficuly and it's not worth the $$$ to swap your engine for a 3.5 Just get a turbo.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:17 PM

The 4th generations are easier for the DIY'ers. the 99's have ignition coil issues ($300 diys, very easy) but other than that, they run faster that the 5th generation and are cheaper.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
VQuick, since you are not too far off from where I live... how bout we do a friendly little 0-155MPH race, I have a close to stock GXE 5spd, that weights in about the same as a 95 GXE 5spd....
Yes, I would be eaten especially considering I couldn't even get to 155 MPH except on a downhill and wouldn't care to anyway.

I would take you up on your offer for a race, but let's do a good old quarter mile. Maybe April at Byron? My car will be taken apart in my garage for the winter very soon.

BTW if you're getting cams you won't be "close to stock"... I just have bolt-ons.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:58 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

This debate cracks me up. Has Bob even replied to this thread yet?
Old 11-23-2004, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
If you get an auto, try and get the 3.5 and not the 3.0.

Best post so far!! If getting an auto tranny is a must then neither the 4G or 5G can even come close the 5.5G in performance.

But again if performance is not a major consideration, I'd personally get a 2k1AE over the 4G. Around here, the AE is priced similar to the 2k2 (3.5L); which folks in NJ seem to be offloading in droves due to the lease expirations (or maybe HID theft problems).
Old 11-23-2004, 07:39 AM
Banned

Just buy the AE and get it over with. You get a lot more bells and whistles and if the price is near the same, unless the AE has a LOT more miles on it, it's a better value.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

A stock 97 ran a 14.7, can't remember who it was but a few older orgers can verify this, its been a while, about 2-3 years or so.

And I agree with what F23A4 states.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:46 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Both are equally strong in their own areas. The 5th gen is much more than 150Ibs heavier.

BlackBIRDVQ, I love the way your so mysterious about your mods. Why don't you just let the cat out of the bag?

BTW, I'd like confirmation from other 5th genners that the gearing can even get the car to 155.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:48 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Both have advantages over the other in their own areas. The 5th gen is much more than 150Ibs heavier yet it is much more of a highway machine. I'm expectedly biased but I think the widely usable torque of the 4th gen is much more suitable for fun yet legal driving. In a 4th gen you can have fun going slow. This is much less doable in a 5th gen because you have to wind out the gears to have the most pull. By the end of second your already at the speed limit on non-highway roads.

BlackBIRDVQ, I love the way your so mysterious about your mods. Why don't you just let the cat out of the bag?

BTW, I'd like confirmation from other DE-K 5th genners that the gearing can even get the car to 155.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:48 AM

nope, can't get to 155 even if i pushed the pedal through the floor....fastest i went was around 135
Old 11-23-2004, 09:53 AM
Banned

I've been up to 150 and still had more engine. I think it'll do 155 if there's enough space.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Broaner
BTW, I'd like confirmation from other DE-K 5th genners that the gearing can even get the car to 155.
You're close enough to Chicago to check it out in person.... I'm sure Blackbird would be more than willing to show ya.... I wouldn't go with everyone else's "confirmation" on this, since you're really interested in HIS car, not everyone else's... just my 2 cents.... I come in peace....

Btw, he has some mods listed on his homepage, although I'm not sure how updated it is....
Old 11-23-2004, 11:17 AM
dot dot dot ...

If the 4th gen vs 5th gen 5 spd ratios are the same, this would support about 167 mph @ 6600rpm w/ the stock 225's.

That doesn't not take any other variables into effect i.e. speed limiters, drag, hp, etc etc
Old 11-23-2004, 11:42 AM
2060lbs and falling...

I edited my post a lot before but it didn't show up. I said that each car shines in different areas. The 4th gens abundance of torque where you need it makes it a much more of a fun city car. This characteristic also makes it possible to have a lot of fun driving without breaking the law. The high winded characteristcs of the de-k makes it much more of a high winding highway machine. It doesn't shine pulling out of corners or launching but it really hauls @ss up top. If I had a 5th gen I'd get caught speeding a lot more than I do now. The 5th gen shines when you wind it. The end of second is the speed limit on non-highway roads meaning that anyfun to be had on surface roads is certainly illegal. Punch it at 3K in a 4th gen and your gonna get whiplash.

Puppetmaster, I asked for other confirmation because I don't respect his statements.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:57 AM

Puppetmaster, I asked for other confirmation because I don't respect his statements.
I know that, which is exactly why I think because this is something between you and him (and his car), it might be more worthwhile for ya to see it in person, since I'm sure from your experience on here, you might agree that cars are different, esp cars that have been extensively modded. Thus, getting the opinions of other 5th gen owners might not serve this purpose well, since ya probably wouldn't know the basis of their confirmations, be it hearsay, personal experience, or pure speculation. I say this with all due respect to you and the 5th Gen owners, I personally just cannot see how anything else but seeing Blackbird's car in person will help ya.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I know that, which is exactly why I think because this is something between you and him (and his car), it might be more worthwhile for ya to see it in person, since I'm sure from your experience on here, you might agree that cars are different, esp cars that have been extensively modded. Thus, getting the opinions of other 5th gen owners might not serve this purpose well, since ya probably wouldn't know the basis of their confirmations, be it hearsay, personal experience, or pure speculation. I say this with all due respect to you and the 5th Gen owners, I personally just cannot see how anything else but seeing Blackbird's car in person will help ya.
It's not between Blackbird and him at all. Blackbird issued a challenge to essentially any 4th gen that was also "close to stock"....

LOL, poor Bob, I'm sure he gave up reading this thread long ago...
Old 11-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by GBAUER
I've been up to 150 and still had more engine. I think it'll do 155 if there's enough space.
HELLOOO... you've got a 5.5 gen and thus your car is not part of this debate.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by VQuick
HELLOOO... you've got a 5.5 gen and thus your car is not part of this debate.
Not only that but SR20DEN confirmed the speed limiter at 149 on a 5.5g.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:20 PM

No speed limiters on the 5.5 gen with HLSD. My mods will always be a mystery here on the .org. But ask any local whos been in my car what it feels like, and she deff feels "stock" I would be up for a challenge on a 1/4 track, last time I went I was totally dissapointed with VIAS not working, 250lbs in the trunk and 90F weather- my GF and my brother told me to run just for shiats n gigles. With 2.6 60' (sorry my car sucks major ballz off the line- due to the flywheel and other weight reducing mods) I could only pull off a 15.1@95MPH uncorrected for humidity, altitude or temps. With VIAS working, and in my "autoX trim" and 2.0 60' my car would run a nice 15 sec time :P BTW for me everything is a bolt on- even cams, cause I'm doing the work with my own tools at my shop- I'm a mechanic for a living.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by adithius
It is VERY, VERY, VERY difficuly and it's not worth the $$$ to swap your engine for a 3.5 Just get a turbo.
Are you kidding? I can get the engine and all the parts required for under 2000$. Try to get a turbo kit that retails for under 2k... Take a look in the all motor section. It's been done.

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
In the end, it becomes a game of physics. Two cars that weigh within 150lbs of each other. Both cars feature *very similar* (NOT the same) engines. One car is nearly 37hp the inferior...and yet somehow the inferior car will take the superior one off a line? It won't happen. It'll never happen as long as two equally skilled drivers are working both. Until I see someone do a 14.7 1/4 and 6.4 0-60 in a 5spd 4th gen, I'll--
Snip

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=304093
Have a nice day.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by VQuick
It's not between Blackbird and him at all. Blackbird issued a challenge to essentially any 4th gen that was also "close to stock"....

LOL, poor Bob, I'm sure he gave up reading this thread long ago...
This is why I didn't wanna comment on this... and I won't after this post...

VQuick, this is what your buddy posted "Puppetmaster, I asked for other confirmation because I don't respect his statements.".

He did not "respect" Blackbird's statements and therefore wanted to "confirm" a claim that BB made about his (BB's) car, with other 5th Gen owners. To me, that seems like he wanted to know about BB's car, but then, now its an issue of interpretation of what someone else said, so forget it, this is meaningless to me.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:35 PM

I will not say what I got on my car, but STOCK it weights at 3186lbs with all the fluids, spare tire, jack, tools in the trunk. Gasoline is pretty heavy this is why you don't race with a full tank of gasoline-18 gallons. Who needs a spare tire on a race track ? a space saver tire at 100+MPH around corners would be blown into pieces after a good 5 min on the track. I have light weight wheels, I have a CF hood, no stock heavy exhaust system, no stock cats- I had 3 on my car cause its a cali-spec, and with nothing in the trunk, and no front seat and no rear lower cushion- I remove that to bolt in my Sparco Clubman harness for road racing- my car weights in at 2980lbs. You do the math as to how big of a pig my car is, now figure in my car stock put down 198WHP on the OE 15" steel wheels... now figure in every avalible bolt on possible on a 3.0L but cams and ECU- both of which will be installed as soon as TechnoSquare is done, and my Tomei 270s arrive from Japan. I don't care what I run at the drag strip, if I did- I wouldn't spend $$$ on huge 13" brakes, expenssive suspension and tires. All I know is, I am willing to run a SCed runing stock stillen boost 5spd 4th gen to show ya whats up. I'm confident I can hit 265-270WHP with cams, considering stockers are punny 220 deg vs my 270s. I am a DIY kinda guy, I tune my car myself- I have a wideband, and a piggy back, OBDII scanner. I have access to Consult II, fixing my car is not a big issue for me.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:12 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
He did not "respect" Blackbird's statements and therefore wanted to "confirm" a claim that BB made about his (BB's) car, with other 5th Gen owners. To me, that seems like he wanted to know about BB's car, but then, now its an issue of interpretation of what someone else said, so forget it, this is meaningless to me.
You've mixed up what I wanted confirmed. My original statement was
I wanted to know if the gearing of the tranny combined with the final drive would even bring the car to 155MPH. What speed can the car get to with stock redline?(Supposed unlimited power) This has nothing to do with the mods on the car. This has to do with whether or not the claimed top speed(155) can be reached with a stock sized 5th gear. For example, the gearing of a 4th gen auto will bring the car to at least 160MPH but the engine would need to be extremely powerful for this to happen. Actual top speed is about 137-138(Stock to mildly modified). I'd guess that even a fully built N/A car would not do much more than 140. Theoretical top speed is totally different than actual top speed.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:22 PM

164MPH I hit the rev limiter, tried it on the dyno. My power is still climbing at 6800RPM when the rev limiter kicks in, even with the tinny 220 deg of durration cams. Getting other DE-K owners to confirm this is going to be pretty tough, as not many have 5spds, and many of them don't drive over 100MPH daily.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:23 PM

You've mixed up what I wanted confirmed. My original statement was...
My bad... point taken.... although ya know I was merely offering what I thought was a logical solution to what I perceived you were getting it, even though now we know that I misunderstood you. Seems like maybe your friend VQuick thought it was an attack of some sort... anyways... like I said before, this is none of my business anyways, I hope ya find out what ya want to....
Old 11-23-2004, 11:12 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Thanks BB. Test data means more than claims(Dyno graph would be nice). I also didn't realize that the redline on DE-K was 6.8K.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:32 AM

6700RPM redline, 6800RPM fuel cut tested using a Nissan Consult II scan tool.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:41 AM

I have never been to 155, but I did get it up to 140 for a few seconds on I-10 once. If I remember correctly I shifted into 5th at right around 130. I would say 155 is definitely believable.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:57 PM

My 4th gen manual easily pulled over 140 stock. Don't see why a 5th gen with the 3.0 or 3.5 would have a problem matching that. Never has my 2002 6 speed up that high but gues it would easily surpass that.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Chassis Freak

I will not say what I got on my car, but STOCK it weights at 3186lbs with all the fluids, spare tire, jack, tools in the trunk. Gasoline is pretty heavy this is why you don't race with a full tank of gasoline-18 gallons. Who needs a spare tire on a race track ? a space saver tire at 100+MPH around corners would be blown into pieces after a good 5 min on the track. I have light weight wheels, I have a CF hood, no stock heavy exhaust system, no stock cats- I had 3 on my car cause its a cali-spec, and with nothing in the trunk, and no front seat and no rear lower cushion- I remove that to bolt in my Sparco Clubman harness for road racing- my car weights in at 2980lbs. You do the math as to how big of a pig my car is, now figure in my car stock put down 198WHP on the OE 15" steel wheels... now figure in every avalible bolt on possible on a 3.0L but cams and ECU- both of which will be installed as soon as TechnoSquare is done, and my Tomei 270s arrive from Japan. I don't care what I run at the drag strip, if I did- I wouldn't spend $$$ on huge 13" brakes, expenssive suspension and tires. All I know is, I am willing to run a SCed runing stock stillen boost 5spd 4th gen to show ya whats up. I'm confident I can hit 265-270WHP with cams, considering stockers are punny 220 deg vs my 270s. I am a DIY kinda guy, I tune my car myself- I have a wideband, and a piggy back, OBDII scanner. I have access to Consult II, fixing my car is not a big issue for me.
And how the FXCK do you get off calling this "close to stock"???

Regardless of whether or not you install cams yourself, do a full engine swap yourself, or convert your Maxima to RWD yourself, those are NOT BOLT-ONS as universally understood.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Chassis Freak

6700RPM redline, 6800RPM fuel cut tested using a Nissan Consult II scan tool.
Looking at the photo, the red bar on the tach looks like it indicates redline at 6600 RPM, but I believe you if you've had it dynoed/CONSULTed.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:07 PM

close to stock cause I don't have no nasty body kit, and I do not have bling bling wheels. My car is all black, with CF hood that is hard to tell its there. This aint no confession, where I gotta tell ya what settings I have on the Emanage, what headers I have and etc. I call my car close to stock
Old 11-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Chassis Freak

Your car is not close to stock. Your car would be a sleeper were it not for the huge windshield banner, NISMO sticker, hood pins, and large dual muffler tips. I like what you've done nonetheless.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:41 AM

I have no hood pins, no dual muffler tips- Greddy now, little NISMO sticker above the headlight that runs parallel to the headlight is in true patronage to the 400R Skyline :P Windshield banner is from the .org to let other Maxima owners know that we do have this awesome forum. I never will bring myself into putting a DTM exhaust or some nasty krap on my ride. Powdercoating my TTZ calipers red has crossed my mind a few times, if I should or shouldn't do it. But I really want them to stand out cause they just look soo friggn killer behind my 17x8.5 Enkeis, especially with 13" rotors backing it up
Old 11-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Chassis Freak

Well in the photo at the top of your page I see hood pins, or at least the holes in the CF hood where hood pins would go, and that definitely looks modded.

Maybe paint the calipers gunmetal or some polished grey shade? Red looks OK but it's so common and is too showy.

Out of curiosity, how do you wire up the illuminated MAXIMA door sills? What do they connect to? Those are great, I just wish they made them for 4th gens with the 4th gen MAXIMA typeface.

Back to the topic: get a 4th gen, Bob.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:27 PM

I got the power runing to a constant power source in the fuse box in the driver's kick panel. The door switches are basically switching ground source, when you open the door they complete a ground circuit and thats where I got each door sill hooked up. Each door sill is hooked up to each individual door, so when you open one door, that one sill lights up. Open 4 doors and all 4 door sills are light up. I say you need a 5th gen to have indiglo door sill factor As far as hood pins go, I used to have them on my old POS CustomMaxima CF hood, the latch wasn't strong enough to keep the hood closed so I added those just for protection. I got into a little fender bender at one time and my hood was messed up- real CF won't break, but CustomMaxima CF.... yeah it will. So now I am sporting a VIS real CF hood which is strong and has a very nice latch. I have no hood pins on it no more. Calipers are done, powdercoated red already- like 5 months ago or so... just soo lazy to install the whole kit. But this week I got to do wheel bearings, subframe connectors, lower tie bar, snow tires, brakes, flush out the power steering, flush out the brakes with Motul and install my 02 headlights.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:55 PM
Chassis Freak

From the pics it looks like you work in a nice big garage...lucky!
Old 11-26-2004, 09:30 PM

yep, having access to 2 car lifts, 25K dollars worth of toolbox and tools (all mine) and at times where I need to work on the car over few days- LOANER car Being a Acura Mastertech has its advantages.