5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ready to drop the front

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Ready to drop the front

I want to drop the front of the car just a bit.... what springs should I use? I think H&R but not sure. Do I have to replace the struts to do that or can I keep the stock sruts until they go bad? Does anyone here has a pair of H&R springs for sale... I know I can get the whole kit for around $220.00 but I want to do the front only. Do I have to do the back also?

Thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 05:43 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I don't think you wanna drop it with stock struts my man, you might have to do whole set up for the front.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

H&Rs are a mild drop and people have done the whole car with stock struts before. Its definitely not recommended, but its possible that it'll work. If only you could do a search, there was a thread on this recently.... stock struts and certain lowering springs....
Old 11-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Z

Uh. First off: forget dropping with stock struts. Dropping only the front is an idiotic thing to do. Driving just the front dropped creates high risk of oversteer under what would normally be normal handling manuevers. It's rather dangerous to just drop the front, you're throwing the car off center.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
Uh. First off: forget dropping with stock struts. Dropping only the front is an idiotic thing to do. Driving just the front dropped creates high risk of oversteer under what would normally be normal handling manuevers. It's rather dangerous to just drop the front, you're throwing the car off center.
If that's true, which I think it is... I'd listen to Arnie here and not drop just the front...

I still think H&Rs with stock struts is doable though... you'll probably just blow em struts faster... haha...
Old 11-23-2004, 11:03 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Yee Haw!

Old 11-23-2004, 11:26 PM
Z

It was discussed before. Do NOT do it. Your car's body roll is distrubuted evenly in its stock setup and to keep it even you have to make sure springs are identical all around. If you drop only the front, your front won't have roll but your back will -- thus it'll cause you to spin out because the momentum coming from the back doesn't equal the shift up front.

Dangerous.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:34 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Thanks guys.... I will go and buy the whole set then...The problem is.. I like the rear the way it is.. I painted the aprons of the car and now it looks to high for my taste. I like to drop it just a little bit not too much... Any suggestions.... How's the ride with H&R springs? and which struts will be the best for a confortable rido... remember not too low....
Old 11-24-2004, 07:16 AM

If you just lower the front, if anything, you will understeer more, not oversteer. To induce over steer you firm up the rear, alas RSB.

And I believe there are some members who run just the front lowered with no problem.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:23 AM

Lowering Front only is ghetto, plain and simple....
Old 11-24-2004, 08:16 AM

What the...???

Ghetto -- have to agree.

Maybe you should head-on over the CAMARO site....

Do all four. Look sharp. Drive safe.

gr
Old 11-24-2004, 09:08 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Yes you need to lower the back also. Where did you even get the idea of lowering the front only?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:41 AM
drag racing is for wussies

My front is alot lower than the rear- I had almost 5 in of wheel gap in the front with my stock 15" steel wheels. I slammed the car 3.5" in the front and only bout a 1" in the rear, it gives me that nice stance and car is neutral handling. I autoX and road race it. I know what over and understeer feel like. Its pretty hard to get eighter one to happen, let go of the GO pedal around the corner abruptly and the rear end will wanna come out, get on the pedal back again and it will straighten out. If I cant get my car to slide like a D1 drift machine, then I doubt 99% of the Maxima owners out there will even come close to the limits of the setup I have. Most of ya don't race, and if you do its drag racing, I road race and go through 3 sets of tires a year, I'm on my 12th set of tires since I had my car, June of 2001.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:41 PM

Like BlackBIRDVQ said, an average driver will not feel any difference just the front is lowered...
Old 11-26-2004, 04:52 PM

Drop only the front?!! [Insert horrified gasps here]. Contrary to all the opinions above, your car will NOT become an unstable, oversteering, unbalanced mess with a front only drop. Nor will it look anything like a Mopar musclecar. You guys need to settle down a bit with all the negative, baseless hypothesizing.

I am running H&R's on Illuminas in the front only and handling is better with this drop than with my previous Progress/Illumina all around setup. The H&R front only drop produces the same stable, predictable understeer as stock, noticably reduced body roll, crisper response, and a very even stance. Best part: No problems with bottoming out with a backseat full of rowdy idiots. Sure it's not "slammed" low, but it's even, which is all I wanted.

And BTW - this setup has nothing to do with being cheap or trying to cut corners. I have a set of rear Illuminas and H&R's sitting in my garage and I prefer this setup.

Pics are on my site, but here's one:
Old 11-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by housecor
Drop only the front?!! [Insert horrified gasps here]. Contrary to all the opinions above, your car will NOT become an unstable, oversteering, unbalanced mess with a front only drop. Nor will it look anything like a Mopar musclecar. You guys need to settle down a bit with all the negative, baseless hypothesizing.

I am running H&R's on Illuminas in the front only and handling is better with this drop than with my previous Progress/Illumina all around setup. The H&R front only drop produces the same stable, predictable understeer as stock, noticably reduced body roll, crisper response, and a very even stance. Best part: No problems with bottoming out with a backseat full of rowdy idiots. Sure it's not "slammed" low, but it's even, which is all I wanted.

And BTW - this setup has nothing to do with being cheap or trying to cut corners. I have a set of rear Illuminas and H&R's sitting in my garage and I prefer this setup.

Pics are on my site, but here's one:

I got the idea from Housecor..... I like the way the car looks....