5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to make car quieter when hitting bumps/potholes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How to make car quieter when hitting bumps/potholes?

I would like to dampen the noise with stock suspension setup but dont want to dynamat the whole car , any specific location points i can maybe dynamat to reduce the noise?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by Whtmax'01
I would like to dampen the noise with stock suspension setup but dont want to dynamat the whole car , any specific location points i can maybe dynamat to reduce the noise?
By all means, the wheel wells first. I Dynamatted (actually, I used Brown Bread -far cheaper) on the inner side of the wheel and then sprayed not one but two cans of 3M undercoating in each wheel.

I cant tell if that alone made a difference because I Brown Breaded the trunk, rear under-seat area, both the front and rear floor pan areas (not under the console, I did not take that out) and all four doors as well.....all together I achieved a 1.8 dB noise level reduction, not trivial by any means....
Old 11-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

Did you put the Brown Beard on the wheel side of the wheel wells? Can you tell a specific difference from the wheel well sound. Also, do you have stock suspension?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by Epacy
Did you put the Brown Beard on the wheel side of the wheel wells? Can you tell a specific difference from the wheel well sound. Also, do you have stock suspension?
Nope. I placed the Brown Bread on the inner (interior) side of the wheel wells & the 3M undercoating on the outside -the side that faces the tires themselves.

And yes, the difference is indeed audible -but remember, I did more than just the wells at the same time so....how much of my 1.8 dB reduction can be attributed to just the wheel well work, I cant say...

And no, I have H&Rs springs, Tokicos and a Wilwood brake kit.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Galo
By all means, the wheel wells first. I Dynamatted (actually, I used Brown Bread -far cheaper) on the inner side of the wheel and then sprayed not one but two cans of 3M undercoating in each wheel.

I cant tell if that alone made a difference because I Brown Breaded the trunk, rear under-seat area, both the front and rear floor pan areas (not under the console, I did not take that out) and all four doors as well.....all together I achieved a 1.8 dB noise level reduction, not trivial by any means....
If you had a site with pics and maybe a how to I'd get started right away.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by mattattax
If you had a site with pics and maybe a how to I'd get started right away.
Ohh, I have a site with pics but worry not, there are NO pics of this work on it....

http://www.cardomain.com/id/elgalo

It was actually quite simple....just peel away all the layers of upholstery (and there are some good threads around this site ron how to do just that....console, seats, door panels, etc) and start coating away with Brown Bread. You basically want to affix the Brown Bread solidly to all metal panels in the trunk & floor pan -specially to the flat/flatter areas of the metalwork. Cut the Brown Bread into shapes that best fit the panels & coat away, then re-assemble.

I'm not trying to minimize the job...it was long and arduous....it took me a good weekend and quite a few Advils for my old, creaky bones afterwards, but it's not tough. There are some really good installation pics here

http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html