5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Blehmco TTZ brakes- installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 09:39 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Blehmco TTZ brakes- installed

So after 3 hours of messn with the car, I finally have the BIG brakes on my ride. I must say thou one of my Blehmco brackets didn't wanna fit the car, and this slowed me down by a hour where I had to enlarge the hole a little bit to make it fit the TTZ caliper. I already had GoodRidge SS lines on the car, with OEM repleacement EBC Sport Dimpled and Grooved rotors, Hawk HPS pads. I ended up getting a set of 04 Maxima IRotor crossed drilled and slottled zinc plated black rotors- 150 bux shipped for both, TTZ calipers for 180 bux for 30mm aluminum ones off Ebay, 56 bux for Hawk HPS pads from TireRack for the TTZ brakes, 200 bux for the Blehmco TTZ brackets, and about 35 bux in Motul RBF600 brake fluid. I flushed out the whole brake system- never done before, stuff looked NASTY. I was pretty pissed with Nissan cause I ordered shims and hardware kit for the TTZ brakes, been in my tool box for like 5 months now, never checked them out thou. Today its the time to do brakes and I look- they send the the stuff for the REAR TTZ calipers, SOB ! So I rigged up some stuff from a Acura, and it works. My 38mm offset 17" Enkei RPO1s didn't wanna clear the calipers by like 1mm !! I was like - Oo snap, so got the head working and figured out that I need to shim the Blehmco relocating bracket- by putting a washer from the stock caliper bolts- between the Blehmco bracket and the steering knuckle to gain that 2mm of space. I got the brake on, test fit the wheel, and I have enough clearance ! So I hooked up the lines, bleed the brakes and went for a ride. Bead the pads and rotors in, and then try some hard stopping. I must say the brakes grab, and they grab harder than any other car I ever driven ! No EVO or STI brake system comes even close ! I left my camera at work- doooooope ( Homer ) so pics will come tomorrow. All I gotta say is it looks awesome, my calipers are powdercoated red with Nissan polished. And the braking power is insane. I highly recomend these brakes to anyone !
Old 11-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the same problem with the driver's side bracket, ran around town and finally bought a dremel to widen the hole...I definitely recommend Matt widen the hole
Old 11-29-2004, 09:53 PM

Yep it was the driver's side bracket too ! I ended up using our Acura EGR porting tool to enlarge the hole as I took my dremmel and drills home like a week ago to do cabinets in the kitchen. I found that with my 2mm shim the rotor is more centered in the caliper- cause you can see how it sits through the hole on top of the caliper, plus it clears my wheels. I only have like 1mm space between the valve stem for the tire and the caliper, so I need to watch the valve stem for any wear- if there is going to be any.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:22 PM

That's crazy my driverside bracket was the same.

By offsetting the caliper didn't throw off the position relative to the rotor?
Also did you have to order the hardware kit or did the nissan dealer have it in stock?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:59 PM

got any pictures?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pri63
I had the same problem with the driver's side bracket, ran around town and finally bought a dremel to widen the hole...I definitely recommend Matt widen the hole
Do you use the stock 17' inch rims with the BBK. If so, are their any fitment issues with 4 piston calipers(reguarding the 17' rims)????

I and for these. One day!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2004, 02:13 AM
mjg

stock 17s wont give enough clearance for the bbk kit with the 300zx calipers from blehmco.

It says that on the site too. No bbk should fit under them really, u need different rims. You can do just the rotor adapter kit tho if u want with stock rims.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:56 PM

Sorry that my car is not shinny or anything, or that I got a better side shot. It gets really dark outside around 3:45 already and its been raining in Chicago for a long time now, so making my car look nice just to show off the big brakes would be pointless. Its snowing here today, detailing it would be a waste of time.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pics not working.....
Old 11-30-2004, 06:31 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Hey Mike does this mean you have some SS lines for me?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:49 PM

I only have the front ones Brandon See is maybe Matt has some rear ones. Do the pictures work for ya Brandon ?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:53 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

yes and they look good. When do you think I can pick them up?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:56 PM

You want to get the mounts and wheel bearing done this weekend ? Saturday possibly ? My friend said its cool.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:25 PM

Hey mike,

You can move the caliper and bracket back using washers without throwing the rotor position out of whack. I just want to make sure i understood what you said. If so that is awesome because i have had my kit in my room for about 3 months now due to wheel clearance issues. I have been waiting for my spacers to come but if this works it may be a good alternative
Old 11-30-2004, 07:26 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

I'm going to do the mounts this weekend. I have to go to our summer house in Wisconsin this weekend to get some things done and I have a buddy there that said I could use his shop to do the mounts. I was hoping to be able to pick them up before I leave Thurs. afternoon.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:10 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I must say thou one of my Blehmco brackets didn't wanna fit the car, and this slowed me down by a hour where I had to enlarge the hole a little bit to make it fit the TTZ caliper.
How much did you have to enlarge it, and can you show me exactly which hole it was? I'd like to know, as this is the first I've seen anyone having problems lining up bolts.
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the powdercoating on the brackets, causing the holes to be slightly smaller.

Let me know which hole it is and I'll make sure I get the problem corrected.

My 38mm offset 17" Enkei RPO1s didn't wanna clear the calipers by like 1mm !! I was like - Oo snap, so got the head working and figured out that I need to shim the Blehmco relocating bracket- by putting a washer from the stock caliper bolts- between the Blehmco bracket and the steering knuckle to gain that 2mm of space. I got the brake on, test fit the wheel, and I have enough clearance !
I'm glad there was clearance for you! there's about 4mm difference between the opening of the caliper and the rotor width- you got lucky enough that you could move it a bit! I'm really surprised they didn't rub!
If you don't mind, please email me exactly which brand, model, size, offset, etc of wheels you have (it's all here already, but I'd like to have an email so I don't forget this thread is here).
I'm going to try to start a database of what wheels do/don't fit, and stuff like this is exactly what I need.

So I hooked up the lines, bleed the brakes and went for a ride. Bead the pads and rotors in, and then try some hard stopping. I must say the brakes grab, and they grab harder than any other car I ever driven ! No EVO or STI brake system comes even close ! I left my camera at work- doooooope ( Homer ) so pics will come tomorrow. All I gotta say is it looks awesome, my calipers are powdercoated red with Nissan polished. And the braking power is insane. I highly recomend these brakes to anyone !
Old 12-01-2004, 08:40 PM

That looks sick!!! Congrats.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I'm glad there was clearance for you! there's about 4mm difference between the opening of the caliper and the rotor width- you got lucky enough that you could move it a bit! I'm really surprised they didn't rub!
If you don't mind, please email me exactly which brand, model, size, offset, etc of wheels you have (it's all here already, but I'd like to have an email so I don't forget this thread is here).
I'm going to try to start a database of what wheels do/don't fit, and stuff like this is exactly what I need.

Damn I wish someone would hurry and buy my wheels so I can get some that will fit over my TTZ brakes. I guess I could wait about a month so I can save up for tires because selling my wheels won't cover the price of the new ones.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:33 PM

Matt,
The drivers side caliper relocation bracket needs to fixed. Its the holes that hold the caliper acutally- ones with welded on spacers. I had to grind maybe like .500 (.250mm x2) to make the caliper fit. It wasn't the powdercoating but the metal that I had to actually grind down. If you move one hole about .500mm over APART from the other caliper bolt hole it should fit just right.

The Shimming of the caliper bracket was a after thought after mounting the pass side caliper and rotor up, and seeing I am missing like 1mm of clearance in order for the wheels to clear the calipers. After going "damn Matt shoulda included 4 more washers with the kit for the large 22mm bolts", I thought well the stock caliper bracket bolts have washers, and they come off. Quick test fit, and I noticed that the rotor sat inside the caliper evenly- there was a bigger gap on the outter side of the rotor than the inner side- by bringing the caliper more IN I was able to even out the gap and gain 2mm of space. My wheels fit just great ! They are 38mm offset 17x8" Enkei RPO1s.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:34 PM
STFU n00b!

Okay, thanks for the details. I've installed two or three of these kits myself and never had a problem with them. part of it is the way the fab shop makes the brackets- they're laser cut and the thing doesn't cut perfectly straight- it's very close, but it's off just a hair sometimes..

I have about 5 sets of brackets left in this batch and I'll be sure to drill the holes out just a hair before shipping them.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:19 PM

It looked like Wire EDM cut to me ?? When we used to laser cut stuff it wouldnt leave marks like those on the brackets... Someone else posted bout the holes not lining up, maybe its just on the TTZ brackets. Other than that... I'm looking at the rear brake upgrade now. Have you thought bout offering a exhaust system for Maximas Matt ? Alternative to the FrankenCar one would be great, the service you provide us is awesome ! I am in need of a new exhaust- Greddy is not my style anymore, and somehow I feel less obligated to Cattman products now, if you wanna know why PM me for details. I'm home sick now (damn flu) so taking pictures with no wheels on the car n stuff will have to wait a little bit.

Mike
Old 12-02-2004, 08:47 PM
STFU n00b!

nah.. it's definitely laser.. I've taken some tours of the plant and watched them cutting them myself once.. on some of the thinner parts I use, the laser cuts a beautiful, straight edge. on others like the brackets that are made from 3/8" HRS, they taper a bit on the edge from where the top goes through cleanly and "cooks" through to the other side. if you lok very closely at the holes, you'll notice there's a very slight taper to it.

I've thought about doing exhausts, but it's just not something I can afford to start making. welding up some pre-bent pipes is one thing, but doing the bending or having a batch at a time made at a large exhaust shop capable of mandrel bends is just not anything I have the budget or shop space for.