5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thank God to be alive! (Kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2001, 02:50 PM

Just gotta share this experience with my fellow 5th gen'ers...please bear with me.

I was more than excited when I got my Tantrums/Kumhos in on Thursday and I proceeded to spend all of Thursday and Friday morning to put them on. I thought I was doing everything I needed to do after reading up on the .org and the manual (torque to 80 lbs/ft, lug nut tightening pattern, etc.) and after coming home from work on Friday, I was than eager to take the Max out for a spin. My wife and I were headed to church 2 miles away and the route was split between local and freeway. Right when we left home I heard rattling from the back. Being that I've never had aftermarket wheels before, I figured that might be part of the change and disregarded the noise. The noise became noticeably louder but tolerable until the freeway. After we got on the freeway and started speeding up, the noise became overwhelming so becoming scared, I slowed down, drove on the right lane, and just hoped for the opportunity to check on the wheels after arriving at church. As it turns out, after we pulled in, my friend immediately pulled in behind us and told us that he had tailed us from the freeway and noticed the wheel was significantly wobbly. I turned the corner of my car and went to the back to discover that my right rear wheel had only 2 lugs on! Let me translate that for you all...3 lugs fell off and my wheel was barely hanging. It was then I realized how fortunate I was because if I was going any faster, further, and/or crazier, my wife and I could've been seriously injured not to mention a likely accident. Running on adrenaline, I was able to go with my friend to Pep Boys, get a new set of lugs, and install them on the rims in the rain since I had all the tools in the trunk. After seriously torquing all the lugs numerous times, I drove around the block with my friend and the noise was gone and all was well.

Morals of the story: 1) Gotta be more careful when I do it myself. I could've sworn everything was done properly but there's really noone/nothing else I can blame in this instance so it's my bad.
2) I'm very thankful for life, wife, and friends.
3) The Max is awesome and the rims look good...but it's still just a car. Definitely gotta live for bigger things.

Sorry to burden you all with this story but I felt that I needed to vent it to you guys. Thanks for reading if you've come this far, have a great weekend.
Old 04-21-2001, 03:04 PM
Got Bent?

woah...glad nothing bad happened. You really dodged the bullet this time....if the wheel fell off on the highway......

anyhow.....Lakers play tomorrow......GO LAKERS

Old 04-21-2001, 05:19 PM

Whoah! That reminds me, I need to recheck my lugs. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Old 04-21-2001, 05:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wow ... u never know what I day may bring forth!

thank the Lord that all was ok! s/t's we need things like this 2 bring us back down 2 reality ... glad u r ok!!!!

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg
Just gotta share this experience with my fellow 5th gen'ers...please bear with me.

I was more than excited when I got my Tantrums/Kumhos in on Thursday and I proceeded to spend all of Thursday and Friday morning to put them on. I thought I was doing everything I needed to do after reading up on the .org and the manual (torque to 80 lbs/ft, lug nut tightening pattern, etc.) and after coming home from work on Friday, I was than eager to take the Max out for a spin. My wife and I were headed to church 2 miles away and the route was split between local and freeway. Right when we left home I heard rattling from the back. Being that I've never had aftermarket wheels before, I figured that might be part of the change and disregarded the noise. The noise became noticeably louder but tolerable until the freeway. After we got on the freeway and started speeding up, the noise became overwhelming so becoming scared, I slowed down, drove on the right lane, and just hoped for the opportunity to check on the wheels after arriving at church. As it turns out, after we pulled in, my friend immediately pulled in behind us and told us that he had tailed us from the freeway and noticed the wheel was significantly wobbly. I turned the corner of my car and went to the back to discover that my right rear wheel had only 2 lugs on! Let me translate that for you all...3 lugs fell off and my wheel was barely hanging. It was then I realized how fortunate I was because if I was going any faster, further, and/or crazier, my wife and I could've been seriously injured not to mention a likely accident. Running on adrenaline, I was able to go with my friend to Pep Boys, get a new set of lugs, and install them on the rims in the rain since I had all the tools in the trunk. After seriously torquing all the lugs numerous times, I drove around the block with my friend and the noise was gone and all was well.

Morals of the story: 1) Gotta be more careful when I do it myself. I could've sworn everything was done properly but there's really noone/nothing else I can blame in this instance so it's my bad.
3) The Max is awesome and the rims look good...but it's still just a car. Definitely gotta live for bigger things.

Sorry to burden you all with this story but I felt that I needed to vent it to you guys. Thanks for reading if you've come this far, have a great weekend.
Old 04-21-2001, 07:29 PM

Kiss your lucky stars all ended well...could have been catastrophic...
Old 04-21-2001, 07:39 PM

WOW!!!!!

wow, lucky you were goin to churge and not or you might become a be more careful next time....O, btw since ur goin to churge, maybe someone is looking ova ur shoulder
Old 04-21-2001, 08:21 PM

Did the studs break off or did the lug nuts just come loose and ultimately off the car?
Old 04-21-2001, 08:50 PM

You got THAT right!

It's incidents like this that b!tch-slap you every once in a while to make you realize there's more important things in life. Had one myself last night with some jack@ss in an Acura passing me (I was doing 60) on a two-lane country road with an oncoming car thrown in for good measure. I could have sped up to keep him hanging out in the oncoming lane but it would have equated to murder (via head-on collision) so I backed down and thought... "Jeez, that coulda been ugly".

Here's to keepin' it real. Now go tell your wife how much you love her.
Old 04-21-2001, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the support everyone! Hope that everyone will enjoy his/her Maxs in perspective. Once again, have a great weekend.
Old 04-21-2001, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
Did the studs break off or did the lug nuts just come loose and ultimately off the car?
I think the lugs just came loose and eventually fell off. Like you guys mentioned earlier, this could've been a lot worse and I'm just thankful that everything turned out okay.
Old 04-21-2001, 09:50 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

btw...

dont go crazy on those lugs.. You dont want warped rotors.. My reaction would be to use all my human strength after something scary like that. Just a remember, get that torque wrench back out..
Old 04-21-2001, 09:56 PM

Glad to read that you, your wife, and your car got through it all with no harm.

Your incident reminds me of a time when I was driving home from work once along the San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. I was behind this old Camero when all of a sudden its rear passenger side wheel rolled right off! This was light rush-hour traffic, but lucky the Camero shot off to the right, avoiding all the traffic and its wheel went the same direction. Everyone was unhurt in that one too.

Scary, though.
Old 04-21-2001, 10:11 PM

Re: You got THAT right!

Originally posted by RcticMax

It's incidents like this that b!tch-slap you every once in a while to make you realize there's more important things in life. Had one myself last night with some jack@ss in an Acura passing me (I was doing 60) on a two-lane country road with an oncoming car thrown in for good measure. I could have sped up to keep him hanging out in the oncoming lane but it would have equated to murder (via head-on collision) so I backed down and thought... "Jeez, that coulda been ugly".

Here's to keepin' it real. Now go tell your wife how much you love her.
i personally think you should have continued. it's his fault for doin that in the first place.....i think it'll teach him/her not to do it next time. i really hate it when ppl try to do that to me r anyone.
Old 04-22-2001, 12:09 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Good to hear nothing went wrong. Remeber the torque spec... 80 lbs.
Old 04-22-2001, 12:58 PM

Old 04-22-2001, 03:15 PM

Woah, now that was a close call. Glad to hear that everything is alright!
Old 04-23-2001, 07:08 AM

There's nothing like an incident like this to put things into perspective. I'm glad you survived and learned something in the process. I remember helping an old couple who had crashed their car going through a red light at an intersection. They were okay but shaken up. As I pushed their vehicle out of the intersection I saw their bumper sticker which read "God is my co-pilot". I remember thinking "If that's true, then He isn't a very attentive one". The old couple, however, would probably still thank Him for saving their lives. It's all in your perspective. Why is it that people thank God for narrowly escaping death but don't accuse him of causing the accident in the first place? To me, at least, saying God saved you from dying/getting injured in an accident somehow doesn't seem fair to all the good decent people who do actually die or get injured in freak accidents. I'm thinking of getting a bumper sticker that says "Random luck is my co-pilot".
Old 04-23-2001, 09:25 AM

Hey I glad you are alright, BUT....... I guess I will be the first to ask. How do the Tantrums and Kumhos look on the car? We need pics por favor (please in Spanish).
Old 04-23-2001, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Lumbee799
Hey I glad you are alright, BUT....... I guess I will be the first to ask. How do the Tantrums and Kumhos look on the car? We need pics por favor (please in Spanish).
Thanks again for the well-wishing everyone. On a side note, I will go ahead and post some pics on a new thread for you all to see.
Old 04-23-2001, 12:41 PM

I am glad nothing serious happened. Here is a guardian angel for you
Old 04-23-2001, 04:42 PM

I think the lugs just came loose and eventually fell off. Like you guys mentioned earlier, this could've been a lot worse and I'm just thankful that everything turned out okay.
Im glad to hear that you and your wife are OK.By the way, if you are a LAKER fan, do you live in the LA area???
Old 04-23-2001, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Dave Lopez
Im glad to hear that you and your wife are OK.By the way, if you are a LAKER fan, do you live in the LA area???
Yup. I'm from SoCal/San Gabriel Valley. What a great game on Sunday...can't wait 'til Thursday!

Old 04-23-2001, 10:59 PM

oh always remeber to retorque the lugs on your wheels. for the intial install set it to 80ft lbs. then drive around int he parking lot making a few turns, then retorque them, you will notice a few lugs have become loose. it's real important to do that everytime you take off a wheel.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:24 PM
DKNYchinito

Re: Re: You got THAT right!

Originally posted by MaxSEAE

i personally think you should have continued. it's his fault for doin that in the first place.....i think it'll teach him/her not to do it next time. i really hate it when ppl try to do that to me r anyone.
I really hope you're not serious.