5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Terrible noise coming from fan

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 03:30 PM

Terrible noise coming from fan

Its only 5 degrees above zero here and I'm getting this whining/vibrating noise whenever I turn the fan on. The cold seems to make it worse and today on my way to work I turned it on to 1 and it was making the noise pretty bad. I turned it up to 3 and it made this terrible high pitched whine but the fan was still working. As the car warmed up, the noise started to subside but it remained intermittent. Its basically happening when I turn my fan on and its coming from near the passenger's side footrest, or just below the glovebox. Sometimes when I take a right turn a little tight the noise would just show up and then subside once I straightened out. Anyone else have this problem?

On top of that, I've got this ****ty P-0455 check engine light on. I've tried tightening my gas cap extra tight, and on Wednesday I will visit another nissan dealer to try and replace it. Autozone pulled the code for me, but didn't have the proper replacement cap. I've had the light resetted but it came back in just two days. I'm tired of seeing this error light on.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:40 PM
I Miss My Maxima

Something's probably gotten into your blower motor squirrel cage -- rats, leaves, etc. Time to pull it out and clean out the squirrel cage. Not sure how to do this on a Maxima, on the Jeeps I work with the whole dash has to come out because the evap/blower motor is one big assembly. Could also be the motor shaft bearing or a bent shaft causing the cage to bang up on the housing.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

There is a TSB for the blower motor. It applies to 2k and 2k1. Maybe you can get the dealer to do it for your 2k2. Here is a link to the TSB:

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB99-071b.pdf
Old 12-20-2004, 06:48 PM

The code P0455 is "EVAP Control System (Gross Leak), according to my FSM. It could
be number of problems such as Gas Cap (no seal), Evap purge line (worned rubber hose), Evap Control valve, Evap Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve, Evap
Control System Pressure Sensor, Refueling Control Valve, and Evap Canister.

I had Code P0456 "EVAP Control System" and I diagnosed every component above
and cleaned out all the hose with an air compressor. I also tested all the valve with
a 12v source and using the multi-meter to make sure it was within specs. I no longer
have the code pop-up anymore. You may have to do the same thing. If you let the
dealership do it, it'll cost you an arm and a leg... Good luck

Mike
Old 12-20-2004, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by mikelly
The code P0455 is "EVAP Control System (Gross Leak), according to my FSM. It could
be number of problems such as Gas Cap (no seal), Evap purge line (worned rubber hose), Evap Control valve, Evap Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve, Evap
Control System Pressure Sensor, Refueling Control Valve, and Evap Canister.

I had Code P0456 "EVAP Control System" and I diagnosed every component above
and cleaned out all the hose with an air compressor. I also tested all the valve with
a 12v source and using the multi-meter to make sure it was within specs. I no longer
have the code pop-up anymore. You may have to do the same thing. If you let the
dealership do it, it'll cost you an arm and a leg... Good luck

Mike
Well, from the looks of things, it will cost me an arm and a leg. I have no idea where these things you are talking about are. Hose? Refueling control valve? Evap Canister? Hell I don't even have a multimeter.

I want to see if getting a new gas cap will do the trick. Hopefully it will, or else I'll just get one of those OBD-2 tools so I can reset that damn light over and over again. I'm sick of seeing it. By the way, what is the significance of this light anyways? I don't see any less performance?

Has anyone let the dealership take care of this problem? What am I looking at cost wise??
Old 12-21-2004, 04:39 AM
Banned

When you say fan, I assume you mean the interior climate control fan. If that's the case, mine had the same problem. Go to a junkyard and pick one up and perform a little DIY. I got an 02 fan for $65 that way. Stealership wanted $300. Your fan is dieing a slow death because the bearings are going out. No way to fix it (I tried about everything from WD-40 to completly dissasembling and reassembling it). It should take about 10-15 minutes to replace.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:15 PM

How would I get into this fan? I'm afraid of doing more harm than good if I have to take something apart and put it back together. Is it really that simple? Are there any detailed directions on how to do this?