5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New guy with some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 01:40 PM

New guy with some questions.

Hello all, and I welcome myself to this forum . I have some questions and I spent a lot of time searching and i couldn't find anything, and w/out the search option, i have to post a new thread. Anyway, please help me out with the following.

I just got a 2003 Maxima SE w/ titanium package. and i want to do the following and want to know what it takes and if its at all possible.

1.) I want to change all parking/ turn signal bulbs to LED type - do I need some kind of converter for it to blink at normal speed, or will it just be a plug and play option?!?

2.) I have manual climate control, and i want automatic, is this do-able? I hear YES, and I hear NO - has anyone tried or done this??

3.) Any comments on those projector headlights? Is it worth $225?? And those chrome clear tailights, i think they look GREAT, and it'll have that Lexus 330 SUV look w/ the LEDs, does anyone have them? PICS?

well, any info will be helpful guys.. Thank you.

IK

Old 12-22-2004, 02:26 PM

Someone posted their "LED" look for the rears a while back. The general consensus was a thumbs down. It is my old a$$ opinion that the stock ones look pretty dang good. To each his own. Not a real fan of the chrome clears either. Must be the age gap.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:34 PM

Regarding point #2, I'm sure it can be done. After all, it is a factory option in the same exact car. I'm just not sure how involved it would be. IMHO, auto climate control is overrated. We have it in all three of our vehicles and it really isn't all that accurate. It seems like I'm always adjusting them trying to get the correct temp. If you have to adjust it all the time, might as well have manual climate control. Unless it is a very simple swap, it doesn't seem like much reward for the effort.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by RobWilson
Regarding point #2, I'm sure it can be done. After all, it is a factory option in the same exact car. I'm just not sure how involved it would be. IMHO, auto climate control is overrated. We have it in all three of our vehicles and it really isn't all that accurate. It seems like I'm always adjusting them trying to get the correct temp. If you have to adjust it all the time, might as well have manual climate control. Unless it is a very simple swap, it doesn't seem like much reward for the effort.
wrong

it was an option but that doesnt mean its plug and play. you need the unit, two sensors (in and out temp) and all the wiring to connect everything. no one has done it because they realize it isnt worth the money and work
Old 12-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

maximapolak has LED bulbs for his front signal and marker lights, i believe, and they match the HIDs very well. they do make plug and play ones, but i wouldnt bother with the side markers, since they dont flash. but you can get LEDs for those too, i think they are from autolumination.com.

the projectors are not worth it. your stock headlights are 100 times better. if you want an aftermarket look have the stock headlights smoked or cleared like i did with mine, or install the DDEs (angel eyes) which look pretty nice.

the conscensus on the clear tail lights is all pretty much the same....NO. get the 00-01 SE tail lights, which look excellent on a dark max. another mod i did which i am please with, but its your car, you make the call.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:37 PM

You tell me that I'm wrong and then tell me what it takes??? You yourself say that it can be done. In fact, your post agrees with mine in that I guessed it would be more trouble than it is worth. I didn't say that it was plug and play, just that it could be done.

Originally Posted by soonerfan
wrong

it was an option but that doesnt mean its plug and play. you need the unit, two sensors (in and out temp) and all the wiring to connect everything. no one has done it because they realize it isnt worth the money and work
Old 12-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Cletus

You tell me that I'm wrong and then tell me what it takes??? You yourself say that it can be done. In fact, your post agrees with mine in that I guessed it would be more trouble than it is worth. I didn't say that it was plug and play, just that it could be done.
i said wrong because it sounded like you were saying it wouldnt be that hard since it was an option on the same car. i did agree with the rest of what you said
Old 12-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by KCMC582
maximapolak has LED bulbs for his front signal and marker lights, i believe, and they match the HIDs very well. they do make plug and play ones, but i wouldnt bother with the side markers, since they dont flash. but you can get LEDs for those too, i think they are from autolumination.com.
my sidemarkers flash

when i have money after christmas...i plan on changing out all my bulbs with LEDs..even the map and dome lights.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ikalinin
3.) Any comments on those projector headlights? Is it worth $225??
Do NOT take out your 02/03 HID headlights to put in those rejector deadlights!! I have driven side by side with a Maxima with those deadlights, and those lights had the output of FLASHLIGHTS!! The road was essentially DARK in front of that car!! Very scary. Are they worth $225?
All I can say is
Old 12-22-2004, 04:03 PM

Cool. I didn't say whether it would be hard or easy, just that it could be done. Personally, I don't think it would be worth the cost, even if it were easy.

I know you don't know me, because I just started posting here.....but I'm never wrong.

i said wrong because it sounded like you were saying it wouldnt be that hard since it was an option on the same car. i did agree with the rest of what you said
Old 12-22-2004, 04:12 PM
BlkShadow01

never say never

Old 12-22-2004, 06:10 PM
Cletus

Cool. I didn't say whether it would be hard or easy, just that it could be done. Personally, I don't think it would be worth the cost, even if it were easy.

I know you don't know me, because I just started posting here.....but I'm never wrong.
well im home for the holidays and right down the street from you (91st and sheridan).....we should go have a drink and talk...cause im never wrong either
Old 12-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Fight Fight Fight... hehehehe
Old 12-22-2004, 07:45 PM

So, LEDS, which ones do i get so i can just plug them in and they'll work fine?? i def want LEDs, not in side markers, but everywhere else.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:20 PM

I live about half a mile from The Stadium, a new sports bar here in BA/Tulsa. Maybe we could meet there for a beer? I always enjoy meeting other car enthusiasts.

We may want to keep the conversation about cars, though.....I went to Oklahoma State and am a season ticket holder for football and basketball. I'm sure we would have agree to disagree on the topic of college sports.

well im home for the holidays and right down the street from you (91st and sheridan).....we should go have a drink and talk...cause im never wrong either
Old 12-22-2004, 08:26 PM

From what I've seen, LEDs flash faster than regular bulbs do. I've not seen a kit nor a how-to to make them flash at a slower rate. I'd imagine a different relay would do the trick, though. Its just math and probably a bit of modification to the relay / stock housing so I'm sure you can do it. Heck, maybe a few resistors would do the trick! I'd like to see the write-up if someone has done it. I do like the look of the "instant on / instant off" of the LEDs but for now, I'm keeping the stock bulbs since I don't want people thinking I've had to put a different relay in my car or I have a blown bulb... until I do some figuring, that is.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:55 PM

My opinion; The LEDS are not really that great. Option number 2 is doable but not really worth the hassle... Option 3. Is keep your stock headlights and get some angel eyes in them. This of course is ALL IMO
Old 12-23-2004, 05:29 AM

Hey look..... the new guy is starting trouble already and on after 5 posts
Old 12-23-2004, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nyc2kMax
Hey look..... the new guy is starting trouble already and on after 5 posts
What do you mean I'm starting trouble?
Old 12-23-2004, 11:47 AM

1) You need a resistor to make the LED's blink at the normal rate. You can get the LEDs and the resistor at: http://www.autolumination.com

2) Don't know

3) Keep the HIDs, and your tails. I painted the turn signal red to match the brake lights and it looks a ton better than stock.

If you are planning on putting White Leds in the parking lights, they don't match the HIDs that well. They have a bit of a purpleish tint to them compared to the HIDs. I went with Polarg HyperWhites and think they match real nice. I put Red Leds in the sides and they shine up nice and red. If you look around you'll find some threads about what sizes and all that stuff.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by UGAd13
1) You need a resistor to make the LED's blink at the normal rate. You can get the LEDs and the resistor at: http://www.autolumination.com

2) Don't know

3) Keep the HIDs, and your tails. I painted the turn signal red to match the brake lights and it looks a ton better than stock.

If you are planning on putting White Leds in the parking lights, they don't match the HIDs that well. They have a bit of a purpleish tint to them compared to the HIDs. I went with Polarg HyperWhites and think they match real nice. I put Red Leds in the sides and they shine up nice and red. If you look around you'll find some threads about what sizes and all that stuff.
Hey man, I just saw your pics of the painted tails...you did a NICE job getting rid of the amber. You got a full write up on that somewhere or did you follow another one? Also, I noticed that your caption for the picture of the AE sills is "They really tie the car together, do they not?" Nice Lebowski reference, that's a quality movie.

Back to the topic at hand...where did you guys get your polargs? Thanks.