5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

gas makes a difference

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:49 AM

gas makes a difference

I had all the symptons that i needed to replace my MAF.
the car would not accelerate at or over 3400 rpms. A nissan tech came into where i worked one day and i asked him about it and he told me to use the 93 octane gas. Now i'm still in college and working part time so i was using the cheap gas to save money. But he told me that if i switch to the 93 octane my gas mileage would be better and i wouldn't notice that i'm spending any more money. Not to mention everything would be smoother. And now i feel like my car is normal again and it does not hesitate at all when accelerating. This guy saved me $100 just by telling me to switch gas. I couldn't believe it.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:55 AM

Oh man, you just opened up a whole can of worms on the .org. I used to use 93 octane before gas prices went through the stratosphere. Now I compromise and use mid-grade. I haven't really noticed a difference in performanace or ga mileage. The few times I used regular, I did notice the car felt a little sluggish, but that could have been in my mind.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:03 AM

or you can use racing fuel, if you really want to feel a difference! of course you will feel a difference when using 93 oct over 87 oct. just stick with the 93oct! dont be a cheap @$$, c'mon college guy, all that money you spend on you max and you can't feed her right! but i bet you feed yourself healthy food huh?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by BLUEMAX01SE
or you can use racing fuel, if you really want to feel a difference! of course you will feel a difference when using 93 oct over 87 oct. just stick with the 93oct! dont be a cheap @$$, c'mon college guy, all that money you spend on you max and you can't feed her right! but i bet you feed yourself healthy food huh?

HAHA, i cant help but laugh at this post but its so true. Use 93 octane its better for the car
Old 01-26-2005, 01:58 PM

no i would have used it had i known but i didn't. I got the car used and no said anything to me about it. But i just couldn't believe the symtoms i was having that i thought were a bad MAF just completly dissapeared because of the type of fuel change. Thought it would help anyone else who may of had the symotoms that i did who thought it was a MAF, maybe they could just change there fuel type if they were using the 87 octane. Just trying to help out.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Seoul Man

Here most gas stations don't sell 93. My choices are 87, 89, and 91. I use 91 all the time with no problems. If "mid-grade" in your area is 91, you might be able to use that instead of 93 to save 10 cents a gallon. I would not under any circumstances fill my Max with 87. I know that it will run, but I wouldn't want to risk premature detonation, especially in the hot, hot summers down here.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by merovi
no i would have used it had i known but i didn't. I got the car used and no said anything to me about it. But i just couldn't believe the symtoms i was having that i thought were a bad MAF just completly dissapeared because of the type of fuel change. Thought it would help anyone else who may of had the symotoms that i did who thought it was a MAF, maybe they could just change there fuel type if they were using the 87 octane. Just trying to help out.
well it says it on our gas tanks....
Old 01-26-2005, 02:19 PM

Assumptions:
The tank fills up to 16.0gal before the pump "clicks"
Regular = $1.99/gal = $31.84 for 16gal
Premium = $2.15/ga = $34.40 for 16gal

You are spending less than THREE dollars for the premium gas over the regular and the regular has known to make the car feel like crap in this situation... just put the premium gas you and your car will appreciate it.

Edit: I know prices can vary. From what I have seen, Premium isn't usually more than 15 cents more expensive than regular in my city unless you are going to a Shell...
Old 01-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What is MAF?
Old 01-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by nabro67
What is MAF?
MAF Sensor = Mass Airflow Sensor

Located near the base of the intake... source of many headaches for some of us.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:16 PM

People are pretty pathetic for not getting super ,thats how I feel. The numbers are right there, less than 3 dollars.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Z

Someone dynoed the difference between 93 and 87.

Aprox. 20HP and TQ difference between the two. You're hurting your car by using 87, or even 89/90/91
Old 01-26-2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by spiromax
Here most gas stations don't sell 93. My choices are 87, 89, and 91. I use 91 all the time with no problems. If "mid-grade" in your area is 91, you might be able to use that instead of 93 to save 10 cents a gallon. I would not under any circumstances fill my Max with 87. I know that it will run, but I wouldn't want to risk premature detonation, especially in the hot, hot summers down here.

word!

i would put in 87 in my tank just to save a couple dollars.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold

Aprox. 20HP and TQ difference between the two. You're hurting your car by using 87, or even 89/90/91
you can't say that we're hurting our cars by using 91 octane. California highest octane is 91, sooo do many other states also.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:37 PM

i always use 89 to save money and i think my mileage/gal is crap. just dont want to spend all my money on gas thats all
Old 01-26-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by claudiusmaximas
i always use 89 to save money and i think my mileage/gal is crap. just dont want to spend all my money on gas thats all
$3 extra for 18 gallons is murder

Think of it this way, your only losing out on about a gallon and a half of 87...

Why be THAT cheap, I'm sure you could save alot more money on other things... like smoking and drinking but thats a different thread.

91 and up is typical since out west that is the highest octane you can find. Sure your car is going to run crappier but is it really worth $3 once or twice a week? And if you dont take care of your car... we all know what happens...

And i thought 4th genners were cheap... I guess those $3 every time at fill up add up pretty quick for LED's on our cars
Old 01-26-2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by claudiusmaximas
Increasing pressure in the combustion chamber can increase engine power...But increasing the pressure in the engine raises the likelihood of engine knocking...thast why we use 91 octane in our cars
Octane is a measurement of the fuel's ability to resist explosion during combustion. So put 91 in your car.
Also using premium gas in a car designed to run on regular will not harm it, but the premium cost considerably more and there is no advantage is gained...
your trying to save money now but down there road that engine will be toast...your valves and **** will have carbon buildup with can lead to more problems...

does that make sence?
Old 01-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Seoul Man

I'm hurting my car by using the highest octane fuel sold in my area? 93 isn't sold at the gas stations near me. High-grade is 91 here, so that's what I use. You might even be able to use 89 without much trouble (though I wouldn't recommend that at all). 87 is just cutting it too close for me. I know that the ECU is supposed to be able to retard my timing to prevent knocking, but I'm not willing to lose power and risk premature detonation (it gets HOT here) just to save a few bucks.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:02 PM

I'm hurting my car by using the highest octane fuel sold in my area? 93 isn't sold at the gas stations near me. High-grade is 91 here, so that's what I use. You might even be able to use 89 without much trouble (though I wouldn't recommend that at all). 87 is just cutting it too close for me. I know that the ECU is supposed to be able to retard my timing to prevent knocking, but I'm not willing to lose power and risk premature detonation (it gets HOT here) just to save a few bucks.
why would you risk that...what if the ECU screws up? Then your cars going to overheat becuase retarding the timing too far. Bad fuel economy and overheating...yeah thats sure saving alot of money by switching to 87
Old 01-26-2005, 07:06 PM

i dont think thats true, there are other states that has 91 as their highest octane esp. in west coast. that said. 3 dollars more every fillup isnt too bad. if average driver fills up everyweek, thats 12 dollars u save amonth. i can sacrifice 2 bk meals a month. now if the difference was like 10 dollars every fill up, then yeah, i would get mid grade.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by BLKMAX005SPD
why would you risk that...what if the ECU screws up? Then your cars going to overheat becuase retarding the timing too far. Bad fuel economy and overheating...yeah thats sure saving alot of money by switching to 87
BLKMAX, did you even read my post? I said I WOULDN'T RISK USING 87 (because of the risk of detonation and the loss of power) AND I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND 89. I specifically stated that I always use 91, because that's the highest octane gas I can buy around here.

Let's break down my original post to make sure you get what I'm saying before you criticize me.

I ask NYPD-Arnold a question.
I'm hurting my car by using the highest octane fuel sold in my area?

I make a statement about what gas I use.
93 isn't sold at the gas stations near me. High-grade is 91 here, so that's what I use.

I talk about 89, but I don't recommend it.
You might even be able to use 89 without much trouble (though I wouldn't recommend that at all).

I say that I'm not willing to use 87.
87 is just cutting it too close for me. I know that the ECU is supposed to be able to retard my timing to prevent knocking, but I'm not willing to lose power and risk premature detonation (it gets HOT here) just to save a few bucks.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:14 PM

ok...i'm sry but i feel as though some of u were missing my oringal point. I have only had this car 2 months and did not know that this high octane was recommended i was never informed. The Nissan Tech told me that the maxima should use 91 octane or higher. In my area we have 87, 89, and 93. I was just trying to help out anyone who may be having symptomes and was maybe using the gas instead. I never checked the figures as to how much money i was saving but i have no problem with paying the extra. Its not that i was cheap, its that i didn't know.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:17 PM

BLKMAX, did you even read my post? I said I WOULDN'T RISK USING 87 (because of the risk of detonation and the loss of power) AND I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND 89. I specifically stated that I always use 91, because that's the highest octane gas I can buy around here.

Let's break down my original post to make sure you get what I'm saying before you criticize me.

I ask NYPD-Arnold a question.
I'm hurting my car by using the highest octane fuel sold in my area?

I make a statement about what gas I use.
93 isn't sold at the gas stations near me. High-grade is 91 here, so that's what I use.

I talk about 89, but I don't recommend it.
You might even be able to use 89 without much trouble (though I wouldn't recommend that at all).

I say that I'm not willing to use 87.
87 is just cutting it too close for me. I know that the ECU is supposed to be able to retard my timing to prevent knocking, but I'm not willing to lose power and risk premature detonation (it gets HOT here) just to save a few bucks.

**** my bad...owell now ppl know haha
btw...chill
Old 01-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Seoul Man

**** my bad...owell now ppl know haha
btw...chill
Sorry for getting so worked up. I just get defensive when people tell me I'm not caring for my Max.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:29 PM
arron01SE

get your story straight...octane rating is the means to resist detonation, not 'explosion'.

there is no lead in gas anymore so valve wear is the same for any octane of gas

stop posting bullsh!t

Increasing pressure in the combustion chamber can increase engine power...But increasing the pressure in the engine raises the likelihood of engine knocking...thast why we use 91 octane in our cars
Octane is a measurement of the fuel's ability to resist explosion during combustion. So put 91 in your car.
Also using premium gas in a car designed to run on regular will not harm it, but the premium cost considerably more and there is no advantage is gained...
your trying to save money now but down there road that engine will be toast...your valves and **** will have carbon buildup with can lead to more problems...

does that make sence?

Old 01-26-2005, 07:31 PM
arron01SE

and learn to spell...'sense'

does that make sence?

Old 01-26-2005, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by arron01SE
get your story straight...octane rating is the means to resist detonation, not 'explosion'.

there is no lead in gas anymore so valve wear is the same for any octane of gas

stop posting bullsh!t
carbon buildup can happen in you have lead in the gas or not...carbon build up on the valve head can damage the valve seat...not bullsh!t...
chill newb...i will make sure i take a english class before i post somthing else
but whatever man...i said what i had to say...take a chill pill
Old 01-26-2005, 11:54 PM

Everybody calm down! Just about everyone above have made valid points. Use common sense. There should be no issues obviously if you use 91/92 plus octane gas, but at this time of year with the cooler ambient temps. and hopefully less "aggressive" driving on the winter roads you MAY be able to use 89 octane. I do use mostly 92 octane but I've used everything from 89 to 94 octane (mostly Chevron) and have not noticed any real performance differences or audible detonation etc, but I live in temps that rarely get above 85 deg. F and I am not punching the throttle wide open a lot, the car is an AUTO and it is essentially stock. I was also told by our emissions testing lab here that when you buy the higher octane gas you are paying for more than just the anti-knock qualities of the gas; you are (or should be) getting more of some of the other additives such as the detergents that help to keep the fuel system, intake valves and combustion areas clean.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Wow! How come everyone gets so worked up over these types of things. Hey we have to stick together and keep peace in the Maxima family.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for tha info, i quit usin supreme a while back and my car hasn't been quite the same since.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:41 AM

Guys... Just rememeber that in the real world, the difference in price between Premium and Regular isn't staggering. Sure those 15 cents add up, but it isnt really much in the end except maybe a few Beef & Potato burritos at Taco Bell... The cars should be run on Premium gas (91 octane or better) so just put it in... It is an expense you assumed when you baught the car... If saving money on gas is what you really want, a V6 shouldn't be under your hood...
Old 01-27-2005, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by 04RedOpMax
Wow! How come everyone gets so worked up over these types of things. Hey we have to stick together and keep peace in the Maxima family.

I'd say it's got to do with an overwhelming amount of youth and their inability to control their testosterone levels. I don't think there is a one of us that wants to think that we aren't taking good care of our cars. This is an informational thread...we all learned something so lets just relax, kickback, and crack open a cold one!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by 03blk6mt

I'd say it's got to do with an overwhelming amount of youth and their inability to control their testosterone levels. I don't think there is a one of us that wants to think that we aren't taking good care of our cars. This is an informational thread...we all learned something so lets just relax, kickback, and crack open a cold one!!!

I definately agree with cracking open a cold one... I could use it right now...