5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Non-stop engine noise. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 12:48 PM

Non-stop engine noise. Please help.

I've tried both the Yahoo and Goggle search methods and found out dated posts, or everything with the word 'noise' in it (audio section)

I've also check the TSB's.

5th Gen 01 SE with loud noise coming from the engine compartment. I hear it ALL the time, and it sounds like I have one of those big pipes on my exhaust, but it's coming from the engine.

It hasn't affected the performance or gas mileage, but it's annoying. It's to the point that I cannot talk on my cell phone after rolling up the windows and turning off the radio. That loud.

Has anyone experienced/experiencing this? It doesn't seem like it something that'll just go away.

Thanks for any responses.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:44 PM

Are you sure you dont have a leak in your exhaust somewhere? I can barely hear ,y engine except at WOT.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by takkar
Are you sure you dont have a leak in your exhaust somewhere? I can barely hear ,y engine except at WOT.
neither can i...there has to be something wrong...maybe a leak somewhere? cuz my car is real quiet all the time....except at WOT of course thats when i hear the growl...
Old 02-28-2005, 09:14 AM

thanks for the replies. I'm going to the shop tomorrow, I'll have them check the exhuast system.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by 96/01 Max
I've tried both the Yahoo and Goggle search methods and found out dated posts, or everything with the word 'noise' in it (audio section)

5th Gen 01 SE with loud noise coming from the engine compartment. I hear it ALL the time, and it sounds like I have one of those big pipes on my exhaust, but it's coming from the engine.

It hasn't affected the performance or gas mileage, but it's annoying. It's to the point that I cannot talk on my cell phone after rolling up the windows and turning off the radio. That loud.

Has anyone experienced/experiencing this? It doesn't seem like it something that'll just go away.

I have the same problem..... I took it to the dealer ans as always.. they couldn't duplicate.... but whatever they find please let me know to see if I can get rid of the noise too....
Old 02-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Wat

Sounds like you have a hole in your exhaust system.....
Old 02-28-2005, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
I have the same problem..... I took it to the dealer ans as always.. they couldn't duplicate.... but whatever they find please let me know to see if I can get rid of the noise too....
I have an appointment tomorrow, unless we get more snow than expected.

Also, you should know, my problem exists everytime I press the gas. It seems that as the car accelerates, the noise becomes more constant (not louder). Basically, everytime I drive, I hear it.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

I have an appointment tomorrow, unless we get more snow than expected.

Also, you should know, my problem exists everytime I press the gas. It seems that as the car accelerates, the noise becomes more constant (not louder). Basically, everytime I drive, I hear it.
My sound is when I accelerate, it is not louder when it is in idle. I know my exhaust is fine, unless there is a leak on the "flexible, I'm translating this word from Spanish so it might not make sense...sorry" it is the piece that attaches between the manifolds and the exhaust pipes......I wil put a photo if I find one...... Other that that I have no clue.. the sound is like a gloglogloglo, lke an american car and I hate it....
Old 02-28-2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
My sound is when I accelerate, it is not louder when it is in idle. I know my exhaust is fine, unless there is a leak on the "flexible, I'm translating this word from Spanish so it might not make sense...sorry" it is the piece that attaches between the manifolds and the exhaust pipes......I wil put a photo if I find one...... Other that that I have no clue.. the sound is like a gloglogloglo, lke an american car and I hate it....
Well, Atleast I know I'm not alone. I'll let you know if the dealer finds anything.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:01 PM

repeat the question. i cant hear you because your car is too loud.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:51 AM

I feel stupid

Lontar1,

I told the shop about the problem, even took a tech on a test drive. He said he noticed the same thing when i first brought my car in for service.

They put it up on a lift and checked the exhaust system.

Diagnosis The tech told me I had a slightly bent exhaust, but there were no holes. Then he says, you know your K&N filter is making contact with your car.

Light bulb goes on. I just realized, when I first bought the cone filter, I placed a small piece of plastic cushion under it to stop the vibration. Well, this has since fallen off, and would explain why the sound came from nowhere.

I've yet to remedy this, but I truly believe this is what's causing the constant noise from my engine compartment.