5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

where the hell is the fuel door and trunk rel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 10:36 PM

where the hell is the fuel door and trunk rel?

hey everyone, i test drove a 2002 maxima GLE yesterday, sweet ride... but i couldnt find the fuel door and trunk release? where the hell is it
Old 01-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Driver's side door panel - two buttons
Old 01-29-2005, 10:40 PM

driver's door under arm rest
Old 01-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Seoul Man

When I drove up to the gas station for the first time, it took me a while to find it. The worst thing is, the manual is no help! When you reach the section that talks about the fuel and trunk buttons, it shows a picture of the buttons themselves, but it gives no clue as to where they are in the car.

I'm tall, so I don't usually look down that far, but I finally found them by accidentally glimpsing them on the driver's side door while I was bent down looking for them near the hood release.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

when i first got mine, i checked out all the buttons on the car, which it had so many... i hate the TCS button, its hard to find it sometimes, they should make it atleast visible while driving...
Old 01-30-2005, 06:32 AM

I am not sure why you guys are having so many problems with finding these buttons... I mean it is similar on every car for the most part. it's not like (car manufac) they scatter the buttons all over the place, or decided for ***** and giggles the they will put the gas door button under the arm rest in the rear seats...

I do realize that "back in the day" they used to put them in the glove box, but I hardly see any cars like that nowadays. just use your eyes... look, and then you find your answer.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:40 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Hey, man - I completley empathize...took me a few minutes to find it when I pulled into my first gas station
Old 01-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by silvermax2k2
I am not sure why you guys are having so many problems with finding these buttons... I mean it is similar on every car for the most part. it's not like (car manufac) they scatter the buttons all over the place, or decided for ***** and giggles the they will put the gas door button under the arm rest in the rear seats...

I do realize that "back in the day" they used to put them in the glove box, but I hardly see any cars like that nowadays. just use your eyes... look, and then you find your answer.
Similar on every car for the most part, huh? Then how come on my Sentra the trunk release is near the interior light dimmer and the gas release is down under the seat? My Tacoma and my Camry HAVE no gas release levers. The Camry's trunk release is also under the seat. Not all of us have always driven sedans with electric-everything controls. My Jeep had no "convenience" controls. I once drove a Cadillac that had electronic controls similar to the Maxima's, but they were dash mounted.

Come to think of it, the Maxima is the only car I've ever driven that has had the controls mounted on the driver's arm rest. I'm not saying it's the only car like that, but there are plenty of cars with the controls in different places.

Eventually, we all found our controls, and we used our eyes to do it. None of us are running around on empty with locked trunks. It just took some of us a minute or two to locate the buttons, since we haven't ALL had the privilege of driving nothing but Maximas and similar cars for our entire lives like you.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:42 AM

Acura Legends have there trunk releases in the same position as our Maximas.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Anzioblack44
"...where the hell is it"
LOL. The "placement" that irritates the s*** out of me is the control for the power mirrors. It's rare that I need to use it or make adjustments, typically only on longer trips where I'm "tweaking the seat" on occasion, and my wheel & seat position is such that it's well-hidden from visibility. Everytime I decide to adjust them I have to "re-educate" myself where the swith is.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by spiromax
Similar on every car for the most part, huh? Then how come on my Sentra the trunk release is near the interior light dimmer and the gas release is down under the seat? My Tacoma and my Camry HAVE no gas release levers. The Camry's trunk release is also under the seat. Not all of us have always driven sedans with electric-everything controls. My Jeep had no "convenience" controls. I once drove a Cadillac that had electronic controls similar to the Maxima's, but they were dash mounted.

Come to think of it, the Maxima is the only car I've ever driven that has had the controls mounted on the driver's arm rest. I'm not saying it's the only car like that, but there are plenty of cars with the controls in different places.

Eventually, we all found our controls, and we used our eyes to do it. None of us are running around on empty with locked trunks. It just took some of us a minute or two to locate the buttons, since we haven't ALL had the privilege of driving nothing but Maximas and similar cars for our entire lives like you.

But that’s exactly my point. IF the car does have a button for the trunk/gas door, it will be in the general area of the driver. To check the door, the floor, and the steering wheel does not take much time or effort, and there is no reason to make a post about it. How lazy have we become that we expect other people to answer even the simplest of questions? What’s next, a post like "what time is it?” Give me a break. If you are really THAT stumped, and after searching the car for a while, and still can't seem to find the buttons, then sure, make a post. But then again, if you can't find the button after searching for that long, then you may have some eyesight issues.

And excuse me if I work have for what I have. I have been working since I was 15 yrs old, and my parents never gave one damn red cent. I have what I have because I work for it, and if I want to own 5 different maxima's, then so be it, because it is my damn money, and I'll do what I want with it.

Not that I am trying to be mean here, but come on now... where's my gas door button? *Sigh*

Ah yes, one last comment... I just got a 2005 dodge magnum for a rental car until my car is fixed from an accident. Brand new car, never seen, or sat in one. Guess what, I looked for the buttons, and I found them... and they were not in the same place as the maxima. Astonishing...
Old 01-30-2005, 02:01 PM

I once drove a Cadillac that didn't have an emergency brake release...spent 20 minutes looking for it and figured I would drive to school with it. Put it into park, and bang, it released.

My old BMW releases wouldn't work if the car was locked otherwise you just pushed on the actual item, and it would work.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:53 PM

it was pretty funny on my testdrive i asked about it, and the salesguy didnt know, he looked in the ownersmanual and said, under the console... hah.

anyways i picked up that GLE today, lovin it... its a slick ride... now to get an antitheft kit for the HID's
Old 01-30-2005, 02:57 PM
99 SE-L

Lol i jus got my max not too long ago i sometimes open my trunk when im filling up those buttons are deffinately not in a conveniient place

Old 01-30-2005, 04:02 PM

lol nothing compares to my moms g35, it took me like 15 mins to realize there wasnt a button, u have to push in the fuel door and it slides on a hinge heh
Old 01-30-2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Anzioblack44
hey everyone, i test drove a 2002 maxima GLE yesterday, sweet ride... but i couldnt find the fuel door and trunk release? where the hell is it

Step away from the car and surrender your license.....
Old 01-30-2005, 04:23 PM

dont feel bad man, the only reason i knew where it was is from a while back lookin at maximas, i had to step out to try and find it. the 3 previous cars i had it had the 2 levers down on the floor, almost under the seat. 2 accords and a 3000GT. obviously it took some of a few seconds of brain activity to find it.

there are a few "logical" places to put things like that, and most of us dont think they would be on the door (the glove compartment is dumb too). its nicely integrated in there, but it did take me some getting used to.