5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bose radio or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 08:58 PM

Bose radio or not?

Man, I know I'm gonna get reamed for this one. lol. First of all, I'm a newb as I'm sure you have already figured that out with my question. And yes, I've searched and searched hoping someone had asked the same dumb question, but to no avail. Anyway, I just bought a 2000 Maxima SE which has a tape deck and cd player. I am wondering if it is a Bose or not, I would think if it was it would be on it somewhere, but I can't find it. Is Bose standard or is it an option? All I know is I gotta do something as it sounds like crap right now. Can't wait to get my system in. I have at least found the thread on installing amps. And I'm sure glad I found the glossary. I find myself referring to it frequently......
Old 02-04-2005, 09:39 PM

First of all, pray that it is NOT Bose.

Second, I'm pretty sure it isn't Bose. Here's how you tell. Do you have a speaker on the rear deck ('dashboard' behind the rear seats)? If you do, then you probably have Bose. My 2000 GXE didnt have Bose and it was 6 speakers. One in each door and one tweeter in each A pillar up front. If that's what your's looks like then you're in luck. Bose is tough to get out because you can't really use the stock wiring due to individual amps for each Bose speaker. Anyway, if you have any questions putting your system in, I did everything in mine in the last 3 months. 6 speakers, head unit, changer, new wiring. Everything but amps and subs. Let me know, good luck.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:41 PM

If you had the Bose system, you would have the Bose logo on the tape deck door, and you would have a subwoofer built into the rear deck, with the Bose logo on the subwoofer cover. It was an option, however standard on the GLE. And for you, if you don't have the Bose option, then you are much better off. The Bose system isn't much to brag about, it has no clarity, and spits lows out horribly. Not to mention it also breaks prematurely, and in my case won't play through the left side speakers upon hitting bumps.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:54 PM

Wow, you guys are quick, thanks for the help, I don't have the Bose system, I have the six speakers, 4 in the doors and 2 tweets up front. The only thing I have right now is a soundstream 405 amp and 2 10" JL audio subs. I will prolly use the factory deck for now and get some 6's to go in the front doors. Or is using the factory deck not a good idea? I'd really like to wait on buying a new head unit because I'm sure they are not cheap. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, are the door speakers easy to change? I think I remember reading a thread about a guy who had to do some mods to get his to fit, maybe it was a guy who had bose speakers though. Read so many stickies and posts they are all running together now. LOL thanks for the help guys, and thanks for not ripping me about the question.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:16 PM

Pulling the factory deck is one of the best upgrades you can do. The internal amplifier of an aftermarket deck is smaller, more powerful, and more efficient as opposed to the factory Nissan. A new reciever will cost anywhere from under 100 bucks on upwards to the thousands. In my opinion something with at least 3-preouts (for running additional amps if you decide to upgrade or add speakers), Hi and Low pass filters, (for altering frequencies to your soundstage) and a decent graphic equalizer, is about all you really need in a new deck. For all these features you could get something decent in the $200 range. As for replacing door speakers, its pretty simple to pull apart, but the actual factory speaker needs to be removed from the plastic basket, and the new speaker will need new holes drilled into the stock plastic to hold the speaker in place.

For more information visit your local library... or perhaps the Audio and Electronics forum.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:11 AM

I got new brackets. Get them from Crutchfield free with your speakers or at bestbuy or any car stereo install place for 10-15 bucks. Depends on if your new speakers will fit in the stock brackets. I'd pull the deck if I were you. Mine failed a couple weeks after I bought the car used, haha. Like tothemax said, the speakers are not hard to get to. The only tricky things for my install were running new wires to the front speakers and mounting the tweeters. Like I said before, just PM me for pics and advice if you get there and want my input. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:50 AM

Thanks alot guys, and Charliejag, better be getting some pics together. :-) especially of your head unit and where you mounted your tweets. I'm thinking of going with MB Quart. I've always liked them and Polk. Who knows though. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towarding waiting a month and getting a head unit and doing it right the first time. I have always done my own installs, just always been with much simplier vehicles. Took me forever to find the dang gas latch. lol anyway, thanks for the help guys. Its awesome to be able to come here and get the help you need. Hopefully someday I'll be able to help someone out.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:32 AM

OK Brinkley, here ya go. I finally made a cardomain page and took pics of the stereo. Let me know if you have any questions.

Here is the link, it's also in my profile
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783544
Old 02-05-2005, 06:03 PM

Charlie, thanks man, did a sweet job on the install. Is there anyway to replace the tweets up front and not have them on the outside of the original tweeter? I prefer having as much hidden as possible. I've had several systems stolen and think that the least amount that people can see is always better. I noticed you didn't go with a double din head unit, any particular reason why?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:17 PM

The tweeters I got were just a little too thick to get behind that molding. I would have loved to have it hidden too, but it wasn't possible. Also, there is nothing behind that molding but the A pillar (structural), so I wasnt about to drill a hole in it to mount them. There aren't too many double din head units on the market, I didn't see any I liked at all. BTW, its basically impossible to run new wires to the front door speakers because there is a wiring harness incorporated into the door hinge. The rear door wiring is not the same, I ran new wire all the way in that case. Let me know if you have any questions and let me know what products you decide on (head unit, speakers, etc).
Old 02-05-2005, 10:43 PM

I have seen tweeters mounted on the inside of the pillar before, so it is possible. Just need to remove the stock tweeter from the bracket, and hold the new tweeter into the bracket with double-sided tape. I will post pics of this asap when I find them.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:25 PM

Yeah I know it's possible, but only if you get crappy thin tweeters. The ones I went with were just a little too deep. It can be done, though, depending on the specific tweeters you buy.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:50 AM

be nice to know how thin they would have to be. I am thinking that polk has a pretty thin tweeter. Anyway, I'm leaning toward an Alpine CDA-9830 head unit. I am partial to this one because it doesn't have 100 buttons on it, and it is kinda simple, doesn't look like it powers a nuclear reactor like some of them do. It also has 3 preamp outputs which will hook up real nicely to my Soundstream 405 amp. Plus, I like the pretty green lights.

Oh, one more question which will be followed by more. lol Are all the door speakers 6 1/2's?
Old 02-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

For pics of installing aftermarket tweeters as well as replacing the factory speakers, check my site. I have a number of pics during my installation process.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:45 AM

SEMY, thanks for the great pics. I'm psyched now, ready to dig into the install. You did an outstanding job. I'm really impressed with the sub box. I know it was prolly one of those tidious jobs that took awhile to get it done right. If it sounds half as good as it looks, and I'm sure it does, I'd say I'd be more than pleased if I were you. lol I'm still not sure where I want to put my amp, its pretty big (soundstream 405) but I don't want to take up too much trunk space.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:50 AM

Well, mine actually does power a nuclear reactor, with onw button on the outside. Haha, anyway, the stock door speakers are either 5.25 or 6.5, but I put 6.5s in. As you know, bigger dome equals better sound quality.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Stock non-bose speakers are 6.5" all around in the 5th gen.