5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

clutch problem...please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Banned

clutch problem...please help

I adjusted my clutch height by loosening the 14mm bolt that's connected to the rod with the electrical housing on it and turning it clockwise five times. AFter this, my clutch release point has been changing up and down. It first was at the middle, then it went to the floor and then the clutch became stiff and the release point was towards the top. Today morning i backed it up a little by turning the rod counter clockwise two times, therefore having the rod turn a full three clockwise turns. The relase point still seems to be moving. The clutch does not seem engaged because i don't smell it. I've driven about 150 miles or so. Anybody have any suggestions???
Old 02-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Banned

anybody?????
Old 02-28-2005, 10:31 PM

i dont know man, honestly swinging by a local mechanic or asking a friend who might know whats up with fixing cars might be able to check it out. sounds like you didn't quite do something right, which is just stating the obvious. hope it works out for you, best of luck.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Banned

it's one nut...and turning a rod....i can't imagine how something would go wrong...
Old 03-01-2005, 03:51 PM

been there done that.....ur burning ur clutch..
Old 03-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nytrida
I adjusted my clutch height by loosening the 14mm bolt that's connected to the rod with the electrical housing on it and turning it clockwise five times. AFter this, my clutch release point has been changing up and down. It first was at the middle, then it went to the floor and then the clutch became stiff and the release point was towards the top. Today morning i backed it up a little by turning the rod counter clockwise two times, therefore having the rod turn a full three clockwise turns. The relase point still seems to be moving. The clutch does not seem engaged because i don't smell it. I've driven about 150 miles or so. Anybody have any suggestions???
raise it..you turned the bolt WAAAY too much..i turned it twice and my cruise wasnt working, so that was too low...just put it back to the way it was...
Old 03-01-2005, 04:14 PM

You adjusted the wrong one. You should be using a 12mm bolt BEHIND the clutch. It's harder to reach than the 14mm one. There was a looooong thread on this a couple pages back.

If you read the thread/how-to carefully you should be adjusting the 12mm bolt BEHIND the fork that holds the clutch. Loosening that bolt will make it travel towards the firewall, allowing you to shorten the clutch travel length. You take out the cotter pin, remove the fork and turn the FORK (NOT THE ELECTRICAL HOUSING) clockwise to shorten, counter to lengthen. I found that 2 full turns was perfect.

AFTER you do find a good height you THEN adjust the 14mm bolt and the electrical housing (in front of the clutch right?), and adjust it JUST enough to depress the Cruise Control Sensor. (this is only necessary, if you use cruise control. This should NOT adjust the clutch travel distance)

if you only adjusted the electrical housing closest to you... you're frying your clutch, man. it's like putting your foot on the clutch half way the entire time. (didn't you get high revs?)

Now that you know how to do it... are you sure you want to? Once adjusted, the spring is never fully released, making for a "sloppy" feeling. Also, there is still debate going on whether or not the shorter distance is bad for your clutch.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:19 PM

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

here's the detailed instructions i used..it would have worked, but i adjusted it a little too low... it was nice while it lasted though!
Old 03-02-2005, 07:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by willkim
You adjusted the wrong one. You should be using a 12mm bolt BEHIND the clutch. It's harder to reach than the 14mm one. There was a looooong thread on this a couple pages back.

If you read the thread/how-to carefully you should be adjusting the 12mm bolt BEHIND the fork that holds the clutch. Loosening that bolt will make it travel towards the firewall, allowing you to shorten the clutch travel length. You take out the cotter pin, remove the fork and turn the FORK (NOT THE ELECTRICAL HOUSING) clockwise to shorten, counter to lengthen. I found that 2 full turns was perfect.

AFTER you do find a good height you THEN adjust the 14mm bolt and the electrical housing (in front of the clutch right?), and adjust it JUST enough to depress the Cruise Control Sensor. (this is only necessary, if you use cruise control. This should NOT adjust the clutch travel distance)

if you only adjusted the electrical housing closest to you... you're frying your clutch, man. it's like putting your foot on the clutch half way the entire time. (didn't you get high revs?)

Now that you know how to do it... are you sure you want to? Once adjusted, the spring is never fully released, making for a "sloppy" feeling. Also, there is still debate going on whether or not the shorter distance is bad for your clutch.

After you turned the fork two clockwise turns, how many clockwise turns did you do to the electrical housing rod?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:28 AM

I didnt have to turn the fork. I just release some pressure from the clutch and turned the rod.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by nytrida
After you turned the fork two clockwise turns, how many clockwise turns did you do to the electrical housing rod?
you just have to turn the fork to get it away from the bolt you're trying to turn....if you look, the smaller bolt is hidden way up passed where the fork attaches