5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got my first ticket

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 01:06 PM

Got my first ticket

i'm taking my friend home today and the speed limit is 35mph...and i apparently was going 51. i don't have a problem with the fact that i got a ticket because i knew my day would be coming but i just do not want another one any time soon. So for going 16-20mph its 235 and then i gotta pay 40 for defensive driving. When the cop is coming back to my car he was like is there a reason for why your side marker lights are clear...and i told him it was all for appearance and then i had to turn them on so he could see they glow orange and red even though he said they are "defective equipment" and that would cost me another 145....and i realized that the red on the bulb is really faded so i want to know if anyone else has had some faded bulbs and what some good ones would be to replace them with that won't fade so quickly. hopefully i came off as an a hole to him since i knew i couldnt get out of it and i'm sure he thought i was spoiled since i was in my uniform and all. ha and i was just at the courthouse like an hour ago on a field trip.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:26 PM

welcome to the club

I have the luxury of getting tickets regularly

just take it up the kiester like the rest of us do, or get a Yugo and enjoy going to driving school
Old 03-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxima2000SE
i'm taking my friend home today and the speed limit is 35mph...and i apparently was going 51. i don't have a problem with the fact that i got a ticket because i knew my day would be coming but i just do not want another one any time soon. So for going 16-20mph its 235 and then i gotta pay 40 for defensive driving. When the cop is coming back to my car he was like is there a reason for why your side marker lights are clear...and i told him it was all for appearance and then i had to turn them on so he could see they glow orange and red even though he said they are "defective equipment" and that would cost me another 145....and i realized that the red on the bulb is really faded so i want to know if anyone else has had some faded bulbs and what some good ones would be to replace them with that won't fade so quickly. hopefully i came off as an a hole to him since i knew i couldnt get out of it and i'm sure he thought i was spoiled since i was in my uniform and all. ha and i was just at the courthouse like an hour ago on a field trip.

You finally got your 1st ticket..
Old 03-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Play with my balls

try leds, heard that they work better.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:03 PM

yea i got leds in my clear side markers, and the red is actually red, instead of the pinkish color
Old 03-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Doesn't matter what bulbs you use, technically they have to REFLECT amber/red from the side even when turned off at least in most states.

He was just writing you up for whatever else he could easily find.

Don't speed around town and buy a Valentine 1 to reduce your chances of getting anymore.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:24 PM

so for LED replacements is there a particular number of LEDs we should have. For exmaple on the rearbrake lights, do we go with 9LED or 12 LED? Also with rear brake lights, do the LEDs lightup with the parking lights? or how does that work?
Thanks in advance...
Old 03-01-2005, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by takkar
so for LED replacements is there a particular number of LEDs we should have. For exmaple on the rearbrake lights, do we go with 9LED or 12 LED? Also with rear brake lights, do the LEDs lightup with the parking lights? or how does that work?
Thanks in advance...
it doesnt matter, as long as theyre the right size bulb..you may need to get some load resistors or w/e theyre called (theyre on autolumination.com) but they will work
Old 03-01-2005, 02:57 PM

A word of advice: speeding tickets generally come in pairs. Be careful you don't get another one in say the next 30 days. I haven't had one in about 6 or 7 years, but I always get them in pairs.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:10 PM

dude, you got to fight that.
i got five speeding tickets within my last six months in boston. as stupid as it sounds (and i know it sounds stupid), driving though the big dig at two in the morning with no one in that tunnel but you and (apparently) that cop was worth it every time. and 70mph on a four lane highway at night, with no one on the road was about as safe as it gets. if for no other reason, the sound my car made when i floored it in the tunnel. fought every ticket, and won every time. your license points will go up, your insurance will go through the roof, and worst of all, you'll never know whether you could have gotten away with it. i still have a (officially) perfect driving record.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

take the classes and pay the ticket... cause Points in your license means HIGHER INSURANCE......
Old 03-01-2005, 04:36 PM

Don't be A fool!!

Originally Posted by dr_redonkulous
dude, you got to fight that.
i got five speeding tickets within my last six months in boston. as stupid as it sounds (and i know it sounds stupid), driving though the big dig at two in the morning with no one in that tunnel but you and (apparently) that cop was worth it every time. and 70mph on a four lane highway at night, with no one on the road was about as safe as it gets. if for no other reason, the sound my car made when i floored it in the tunnel. fought every ticket, and won every time. your license points will go up, your insurance will go through the roof, and worst of all, you'll never know whether you could have gotten away with it. i still have a (officially) perfect driving record.
He is right, I am in law school and I know that cops are tought to see the general public as the "enemy", and for good reason to. Fight the ticket, this cop was just after you. Even though you got the ticket, nothing is offical until you pay the ticket(which is just like pleading guilty) or go court. I not sure how it works in TEXAS, but in Jersey, first you call up the Munciple(the # should be on the back of the ticket) court, plead not guilty and then you can plead-bragan the ticket down to a lesser charge when you go to court; like a seat belt ticket!!

P.S. As soon as you plead not guilty, the court is going to give you a new court date. The side markers are relitively easy, just tell the prosecutor(wait in line for the prosecutor, don't walk into the court room with out speaking to the prosecutor first) that you didn't know they were illegal, and that you would have never put them on if you knew that. The other ticket is alittle more tricky. Good luck!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by max929
He is right, I am in law school and I know that cops are tought to see the general public as the "enemy", and for good reason to. Fight the ticket, this cop was just after you. Even though you got the ticket, nothing is offical until you pay the ticket(which is just like pleading guilty) or go court. I not sure how it works in TEXAS, but in Jersey, first you call up the Munciple(the # should be on the back of the ticket) court, plead not guilty and then you can plead-bragan the ticket down to a lesser charge when you go to court; like a seat belt ticket!!

P.S. As soon as you plead not guilty, the court is going to give you a new court date. The side markers are relitively easy, just tell the prosecutor(wait in line for the prosecutor, don't walk into the court room with out speaking to the prosecutor first) that you didn't know they were illegal, and that you would have never put them on if you knew that. The other ticket is alittle more tricky. Good luck!!!

Exactly, I have done the same with many many tickets i have recieved. I had 4 different tickets for my tints in the past 3 years.. all in different towns, and got away with it by just fighting it, saying i didnt know the tints were illegal and that i would never would have got them. ::yea seems lame but it worked on all of them::
Old 03-01-2005, 05:07 PM

This is at least one good reason not to change the appearance of your car to something illegal.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:29 PM

i didn't clarify enough...he did not give me a ticket for the side marker lights too...just speeding. i want to fight it but my parents will probably just make me pay to be done with it and take defensive driving. at defensivedriving.com it is only 40 so i might try that. but it ticks me off because i swear that i was not over 50mph...i looked down and i was at 49-50 b/c i know i wasn't above the 50 line. my friend got a ticket and the cop put her up by 1mph which raised her ticket so i am thinking thats what this guy did and on my way home from there i saw 3 other moto cops along the 3 mile drive from that point.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:27 PM

Don't pay the ticket!! If you want to know how PM me and i'll give you the
trade secrets. I've beaten all my tickets (6 of them). My friend on the other
hand received 79 speeding tickets beaten them all. He's still waiting for his
first ticket to stick. I think he's lucky because he hasn't been caught with a
laser gun yet. Good luck in whatever you do.

Mike

i didn't clarify enough...he did not give me a ticket for the side marker lights too...just speeding. i want to fight it but my parents will probably just make me pay to be done with it and take defensive driving. at defensivedriving.com it is only 40 so i might try that. but it ticks me off because i swear that i was not over 50mph...i looked down and i was at 49-50 b/c i know i wasn't above the 50 line. my friend got a ticket and the cop put her up by 1mph which raised her ticket so i am thinking thats what this guy did and on my way home from there i saw 3 other moto cops along the 3 mile drive from that point.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by mikelly
Don't pay the ticket!! If you want to know how PM me and i'll give you the
trade secrets. I've beaten all my tickets (6 of them). My friend on the other
hand received 79 speeding tickets beaten them all. He's still waiting for his
first ticket to stick. I think he's lucky because he hasn't been caught with a
laser gun yet. Good luck in whatever you do.

Mike
79 tickets??!! daaang...thats quite a few! lol....well anyways, i recently got a ticket and am signed up to do the defensive driver's course (i think im gonna do it this weekend) and to me, it makes sense just to pay the ticket (well, for the course at least) because you need to take responsibility for your own actions...when i got my ticket, i was completely zoned out, and i didnt even notice the cop until after he turned his lights on...he said i was going 52 in a 40..he asked me if i had a reason for going so fast, and i told him flat out that i didnt have one..i was simply zoning out, and i even told him i was glad he stopped me, because i really wasnt paying enough attention to drive safely....i took responsibility for what i did and the consequences weren't all that severe (yes, if i get another one within a year it will stay on my record, but this isnt bad)
Old 03-01-2005, 07:08 PM

Speaking of speeding tickets, I got one this evening. I was heading home from work driving on a busy street (hwy 6) heading north. I was on the very right hand lane close to the shoulder. There is a hill on hwy 6 and when I came down, a cop was parked on the shoulder and was using a laser gun. I got busted for driving 64 in a 50. Luckily it wasn't near a construction zone. I'll probably either go to court or take defensive driving online.

I haven't decided but I was wondering if any of you guys have Progressive auto insurance that has taken defensive driving. I'm going to call them up and find out if they take it. I thought finding out on here would be quicker.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:39 PM

I don't think you realize how serious of an aligation you just made. You are saying that you were not going the speed the cop said you were going, that means he falsified a report and is acusing you of a volation that you did not commit, that is considered "offical Misconduct" This term scares every one in the law enforcement community. It is a VERY serious charge that is a manditory(if convicted of a 2nd degree) of 5years in state prison. It's not at all easy to prove and requires you to get a lawyor. If you really feel that you were victimized by this cop, then presue it. On the other hand, if you plead-bargan the ticket down to a lesser charge, like say a 45mph in a 35mph zone it will look much better to your insurence company and save you and your parents hunderds of dollars. Bring that piont up to them when you talk to them again, plus you can still go to driving school and make it even easier on thier wallets. If there is one thing I have learned, money is one of the best barganing tools avalible. Kid, there are two kinds of people in the world, those who take it, and those who give it!!
Old 03-01-2005, 08:29 PM

I heard this from someone although I have never tried it and cant prove that it works. You won't be able to get out of paying it but no points on the license and no record to insurance companies. You get a ticket, pay it but send them a check for like 25 cents more than the ticket was. They will see you over paid and send you a refund check for the 25 cents...Never cash it and the transaction will never go through and no points will be accessed to your license.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:47 PM

That used to work years ago but not anymore.

Mike

Originally Posted by Max20SE00
I heard this from someone although I have never tried it and cant prove that it works. You won't be able to get out of paying it but no points on the license and no record to insurance companies. You get a ticket, pay it but send them a check for like 25 cents more than the ticket was. They will see you over paid and send you a refund check for the 25 cents...Never cash it and the transaction will never go through and no points will be accessed to your license.