5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

aftermarket exhaust people step in

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:41 AM

aftermarket exhaust people step in

I have HS headers, no cat's and injen intake and now I want to top it off with the rest of the exhaust system. I want to go 2.5 inches on the piping but I am not sure if I want a cat back system pre made like greddy or cattman or if I should just go custom at an exhaust shop. I know the custom route would most likely be cheaper and that is kinda what I am looking towards. I just would like to know if there would be a big difference in both other than a name. I know the stock muffler isn't that restrictive it's just the stock piping is horrible and plus I just want the system to be complete.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:53 AM

well if you like the stock muffler, you should just get a b-pipe and a high flow cat, the difference between a custom and a premade one is the piping, how they bend the pipe. if you get a custom made one, make sure they mendrel bend the pipe for maximum flow b/c the other bend will restrict the flow
Old 03-10-2005, 07:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i am going with HS headers, highflow catt and cattman catt back.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:17 AM

Any mandrel bent cat-back is good... custom or pre-fab.... as long as they are of good quality of course... also another thing to watch out for are the welding on the flanges... I've seen some ugly welds on flanges (mostly WRX parts because there is such a huge market and people are trying to be competitive by cutting costs) on the cheaper brand/custom type cat-backs... if ya wanna retain the stock muffler, then any pre-fab b-pipe is good, then all you'd have to do is have 2.5" piping put on the stock muffler... I've heard mixed things about generic mufflers, but many people here seem to like Magnaflow, Powertech, etc, so who knows.... it might just be the sound they don't like...

I've had a GReddy and I now have a Frankencar, and think both are great in terms of quality of production and fitment.... although the durability of GReddy's aluminized steel left much to be desired...
Old 03-10-2005, 08:26 AM

another thing that i should add is that if you want your exhaust to last longer without rusting up you should think about gettin some stainless steel piping to help from rust
Old 03-10-2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by MaxSE-R
another thing that i should add is that if you want your exhaust to last longer without rusting up you should think about gettin some stainless steel piping to help from rust
Good point... I took it for granted that most were already SS these days....
Old 03-10-2005, 08:47 AM

I have a custom 2.5 inch catback however mine is not mandrel bent. It wasnt worth the extra money for me for minimal if any HP. It may be hard to find an exhaust shop with a mandrel bender and it will definitely cost you more money. I chose not to keep my stock muffler and went with a Dynomax superturbo, which is just as quiet as stock. In my opinion, the sustom route is the way to go if you are looking to save money or another great option would be to look in the in the classifieds section and get a used catback for the same price as a custom one.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by juice
I have a custom 2.5 inch catback however mine is not mandrel bent.
How much did it cost ya? If ya don't mind sharing of course... I've always been curious cuz I've never gotten a quote myself, always just went with pre-fab...
Old 03-10-2005, 09:16 AM

I got mine very cheap becuase my buddy used to own a Meineke. But it would have cost about $200-$225 not including the muffler which is $40
Old 03-10-2005, 06:15 PM

thanks guys,,, I think i'm going to end up going custom just because it's a little cheaper. I appreciate the info.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:20 PM

i'm gonna buy a FC or WSP b pipe and keeping the stock muffler in a week or two....aluminized steel will still last as long as you own the car...
Old 03-10-2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
i'm gonna buy a FC or WSP b pipe and keeping the stock muffler in a week or two....aluminized steel will still last as long as you own the car...
My Greddy alumized steel b-pipe was already rusting around the resonator (pretty badly) after just one winter.... I'm not sure about lasting as long as ya own the car...
Old 03-10-2005, 09:47 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

I would go custom b-pipe w/ stock muffler
Old 03-11-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
My Greddy alumized steel b-pipe was already rusting around the resonator (pretty badly) after just one winter.... I'm not sure about lasting as long as ya own the car...
i dunno warpspeed claims their aluminized steel typically lasts 10-12 years. Then again they are based in Texas.. I wouldn't mind going aluminized either being in socal
Old 03-11-2005, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
i dunno warpspeed claims their aluminized steel typically lasts 10-12 years. Then again they are based in Texas.. I wouldn't mind going aluminized either being in socal
You're far south enough... you're fine with alum steel.... besides, the air in SoCal is really dry too and y'all don't get much rain, well, usually ya don't...

And btw, I don't usually listen to what sellers claim about their products... more often that not, its to be taken with a grain of salt.... esp Warpspeed, who will never get a cent of my money...