5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5 Gen owners, hows our MAFs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 12:56 AM
Need A Light?

5.5 Gen owners, hows our MAFs?

okay i've been running the berk/apex-i setup for awhile now.....i'd say around 5k or so.....but I would like to know if our MAFs will throw a code on the SES if it goes out? I know the 4th gens have a knock sensor code that is a "ghost" code....was wondering if the 5.5 gens are like this?

my car seems fine....i don't feel a low end lose.....i can't really tell about my top end becuz i'm so use to the power of my car that I can't even tell...haha....but on the reals though....how do our MAFs adapt to the car when it goes out?

I do have a SES light for P0138 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)....iirc, sensor 2 means its the DOWNSTREAM o2 which only moniters catalytic converter efficiency...not my a/f ratio....so my car wouldn't lose hp becuz of this SES right? like it wouldn't perform any better/worse if i don't have this code correct?
Old 04-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Need A Light?

bumpity bump bump bump.....31 views and no input?
Old 04-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Banned

Don't know if it'll kill performance (the O2 sensor), but it'll probably effect your emmisions. If you have to get your tested (or if the light gets annoying), change the sensor. As far as your MAF goes, I've used my Injen now for 30k miles and haven't had a problem (my '03 has 108k). Just don't over-oil your filter.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The MAF issue doesn't always trip a code... many people have blown their MAFs with no codes coming up.... besides, it sounds like your car is driving relatively normally, so it couldn't be a dead MAF....

I have a Berk/K&N and have had it for 5k miles now and everything is fine... apparently, us with K&Ns were supposedly at higher risk since we have the infamous oily filters... but a MAF will die regardless of whether ya have a stock filter, K&N, or Apexi... the oily ones just increase the risk...
Old 04-03-2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by GBAUER
Don't know if it'll kill performance (the O2 sensor), but it'll probably effect your emmisions. If you have to get your tested (or if the light gets annoying), change the sensor. As far as your MAF goes, I've used my Injen now for 30k miles and haven't had a problem (my '03 has 108k). Just don't over-oil your filter.
He has an Apexi filter... no oil required...
Old 04-03-2005, 09:18 PM

Did you guys all use the 02-03 ECU reset procedure after you installed your intakes?
I'm about to install an Injen within the next week, however, i'm unsure whether to just not reset the ECU, in order to make it think the stock airbox is still in place to allow the same air/fuel mixture settings to be used. Or would it be better for the MAF if I reset the ECU to allow for the changes in the increased airflow? I'd just like to know if resetting the computer for it to adjust it to the intake's increased airflow will put a greater strain on the MAF, and eventually lead to total failure.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by tothemax319
Did you guys all use the 02-03 ECU reset procedure after you installed your intakes?
I'm about to install an Injen within the next week, however, i'm unsure whether to just not reset the ECU, in order to make it think the stock airbox is still in place to allow the same air/fuel mixture settings to be used. Or would it be better for the MAF if I reset the ECU to allow for the changes in the increased airflow? I'd just like to know if resetting the computer for it to adjust it to the intake's increased airflow will put a greater strain on the MAF, and eventually lead to total failure.
I posted something you might want to read about having an intake and resetting the ECU. Nobody will reply to my thread, though... I guess it's too long, and people don't like reading.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=393596
Old 04-03-2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by spiromax
I posted something you might want to read about having an intake and resetting the ECU. Nobody will reply to my thread, though... I guess it's too long, and people don't like reading.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=393596

Thanks spiro, that's very useful information. The problem your having is basically whats on my mind in terms of resetting the ECU or not. I feel as though leaving the ECU alone may have a better effect on idle and the longevity of the MAF sensor. But on the other hand i'm thinking by not resetting the ECU, optimal gains may not be reached from the intake due to fuel being drawn in at factory settings, and not matching the increased airflow of the intake. But when it all comes down i'd rather sacrifce optimal intake performance over a blown MAF sensor anyday. I'm just waiting for others to chime in on whether they reset the ECU or not.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
The MAF issue doesn't always trip a code... many people have blown their MAFs with no codes coming up.... besides, it sounds like your car is driving relatively normally, so it couldn't be a dead MAF....

I have a Berk/K&N and have had it for 5k miles now and everything is fine... apparently, us with K&Ns were supposedly at higher risk since we have the infamous oily filters... but a MAF will die regardless of whether ya have a stock filter, K&N, or Apexi... the oily ones just increase the risk...
hey do you have any idea if a blown MAF would effect TOP END? as i previously stated....my low end grunt is still there....I can tell becuz if i Floor in 4th gear going 40mph....it will pick up very well.......but as for my top end...i can't really tell anymore....say like a 3rd gear pull all the way to redline.....above 5500 revs all I hear is WAAAAAAAHHHH....I sorta got use to the power of my car.....

so do u know if MAF will cause top end problems? i'm kind of worried becuz you said a blown MAF sometimes doesn't trip a SES....so my top end could be fu*ked up without me knowning...
Old 04-03-2005, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by steven88
so do u know if MAF will cause top end problems? i'm kind of worried becuz you said a blown MAF sometimes doesn't trip a SES....so my top end could be fu*ked up without me knowning...
I wonder the same about mine sometimes.. I have tons of power low in the rev band, but sometimes when im pulling hard in between shifts, I feel as though my car is losing it's grunt as the revs get high. Like you said though, I too have become accustomed to the way my car performs, never have had an ses light or codes show up on the ECU while at Autozone, and have never driven another 6-speed like mine to see if it acts the same.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:04 AM

I wonder about my top end too. My bottom end seems OK now. I had a few issues when I first got my car. My car seems to lay down above 80 mph. Steven knows about my MPH issues at the track which I hope are due to low octane.

Let me know what you find out,
Gears
Old 04-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Need A Light?

Honestly gears....I think your car is very healthy....from the threads you posted awhile back....and since u were running low octane...it would get even more healthier with 91+.....

The reason why I'm concerned is becuz I recently did a pull against my friend's WRX 5spd. The story can be found here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=393271 .....anyway I've studied the WRX for about 4 months now....so far from what I learned is their stock TD04 turbo suffocates like mad after 5500 revs....and me and him raced till 130ish...thats basically ALL top-end and he pulled a car in front of me....granted he has more mods and weighs lighter than me....I still thought a 6spd max would pull becuz of their awesome top-end....which leads me to think if something is broken.....
Old 04-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dont know if this is a MAF issue but ive been having some power loss issues, sometimes i start to push my foot down and it accelerates so slow, like my old 4cyl, and ive been gettin a rotten egg smell from the back of the car. Ill be replacing it soon to see if its a MAF problem.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pasadena
Dont know if this is a MAF issue but ive been having some power loss issues, sometimes i start to push my foot down and it accelerates so slow, like my old 4cyl, and ive been gettin a rotten egg smell from the back of the car. Ill be replacing it soon to see if its a MAF problem.
Slim around through old threads.. This sounds like a bad O2 sensor, or even a bad cat. You wouldn't smell rotten eggs if the MAF is blown.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:36 AM

maf = not always a code. just had to replace mine with NO code. but was having hesitation and low-end torque loss. doesn't sound like the MAF is your problem.

rotten egg = bad cat
Old 04-04-2005, 11:54 AM

I did not reset my ECU after installing my Berk.... car run fine then and it still runs fine now. I did unplug the battery for the hour I took to install it, but I don't consider that resetting the ECU.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:55 AM

Nope... if your MAF is blown, you'd know... the car won't rev past 2400 rpms...

See this link from the FAQs:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....21#post1173121
Old 04-04-2005, 12:12 PM

I got tired of all the MAF b.s. so i took my intake off and put the air box back on..
Old 04-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mine died today.

RIP 2k3 OE maf - 66K with FC intake / Apexi filter

Car never seen a stock air box.

See my thread.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:07 PM

I do have a SES light for P0138 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)....iirc, sensor 2 means its the DOWNSTREAM o2 which only moniters catalytic converter efficiency...not my a/f ratio....so my car wouldn't lose hp becuz of this SES right? like it wouldn't perform any better/worse if i don't have this code correct?
I actually had the same code on my 2k2 a few weeks ago. I went to my dealer last week and had 2 rear 02 sensors along the exhaust system replaced under warranty or a tsb (it was one or the other). Don't pay for this sensor as I believe there is a tsb on this. It didn't affect the performance of the car at all, as they are only for emissions.

As for my MAF, it has been dying and it got to the point where the car woulnd't keep an idle at start-up. So I had my dealer replace it under warranty. I've been running a stillen popcharger since I got the car. So I'd say my MAF lasted almost 90,000km's.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nathan, i forgot to mention, i keyed up your car.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by MiniRX7
Nathan, i forgot to mention, i keyed up your car.
Sweeeet! I always wished for a new paint job. Now's my chance