5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k3 MAF Failure - FINALLY

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 10:16 AM
drag racing is for wussies

I'm on my 6th MAF Last one failed after 2 weeks in a heavy downpour we had here in Chicago. The car just slowly lost all power and died. I unplugged the MAF, drove home in limp mode like that - 55MPH all the way in 5th gear. I went into Nissan, gave them a recepit for the MAF I just bought from them, they gave me a new MAF. I went up to the car, plugged in the shorted out MAF back in to see if she will run better now- ran perfectly normal. I removed the MAF with water in it, and returned it back putting on a new MAF The next day I sealed off my holes in the fender liner that caused my intake to slowly suck up little amounts of water in. On a diff occassion, I had a bad cat that was clogged and I removed it, took the car for a drive car felt like it had gained 50HP or so !(cat was restricting the exhaust flow) as soon as the RPMs reached 5500RPM and VIAS kicked over boom the MAF died. 01 MAFs are not the strongest ones, there IS NO repleacement MAF for the 5th gen Maxima that is good. ALL 5th GEN MAFS BLOW. If you go boost or full NA tune, get Greddy Emanage and change your MAF to the Z32 TT MAF, or even the J30 MAF. Those MAFs are built like tanks and they do not go out. Before I get 50 PMs bout this, YOU NEED GREDDY EMANAGE to install a DIFF MAF on your car. 5.0L Mustang MAF isn't big enough for a Maxima, a 93 Cobra one might work but once again you need to reprogram the ECU for that.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Rob01ski

All hail Blackbirdvq he is a god muahahhahahahahahahahahahahha

Old 04-30-2005, 01:14 PM

You still down for the timing advance next sat Rob ? Sometime around 9 AM.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:42 PM

so is it worth getting an aftermarket intake or what...i got 90k on my 2000i30 and i dont wana deal with all this bs if i go the intake route and then spend double when my maf dies....how much do they cost to replace ne way? is it easy?
Old 04-30-2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I'm on my 6th MAF Last one failed after 2 weeks in a heavy downpour we had here in Chicago. The car just slowly lost all power and died. I unplugged the MAF, drove home in limp mode like that - 55MPH all the way in 5th gear. I went into Nissan, gave them a recepit for the MAF I just bought from them, they gave me a new MAF. I went up to the car, plugged in the shorted out MAF back in to see if she will run better now- ran perfectly normal. I removed the MAF with water in it, and returned it back putting on a new MAF The next day I sealed off my holes in the fender liner that caused my intake to slowly suck up little amounts of water in. On a diff occassion, I had a bad cat that was clogged and I removed it, took the car for a drive car felt like it had gained 50HP or so !(cat was restricting the exhaust flow) as soon as the RPMs reached 5500RPM and VIAS kicked over boom the MAF died. 01 MAFs are not the strongest ones, there IS NO repleacement MAF for the 5th gen Maxima that is good. ALL 5th GEN MAFS BLOW. If you go boost or full NA tune, get Greddy Emanage and change your MAF to the Z32 TT MAF, or even the J30 MAF. Those MAFs are built like tanks and they do not go out. Before I get 50 PMs bout this, YOU NEED GREDDY EMANAGE to install a DIFF MAF on your car. 5.0L Mustang MAF isn't big enough for a Maxima, a 93 Cobra one might work but once again you need to reprogram the ECU for that.
I agree that Nissan MAFs suck even though mine is OK so far after 44K. What I am trying to do is find a cheap factory alternative that will work for us. In my previous post I was picking High Performance cars with MAFs that have a high tendency to be upgraded so they will be cheap to pick up used.
I believe the inside diameter of the Cobra MAF is 70mm. The Haynes Ford manual shows that 89 and up Ford Mustang MAFs have a four wire hook up. They are as follows:
#1 Terminal A - Power relay to EEC module (12 volt power to the sensor)
#2 Terminal B - Mass air flow ground(ground for the sensor power supply)
#3 Terminal C - Mass air flow signal return (ground for the MAF signal)
#4 Terminal D - Mass air flow signal (MAF signal to the computer)

The MAF puts out about 0.8 volts at idle, 1.8 to 2.5 volts at cruise and around 4 volts at full engine speed to the computer form terminal D.

I assume that the Ford meter operates on a 5 volt scale like other Ford sensors. Remote MAF calibrators are on the market to tune the Ford meter if necessary. However, we need to know if the Maxima uses a 5 volt reference or a 12 volt reference for its MAF sensor. Also, What are the five wire points for the Max MAF?

Also, I measured the outside diameter of my stock LS1 sensor today and it is 91 mm on both ends at its widest point (the lip).

Lets help each other,
Gears
Old 04-30-2005, 07:55 PM

Maxima MAF-

2 of them wires are Ground, one wire is 12V for " the burn off function" after shutting the car off. One wire is 5V refference voltage and one wire is signal wire - after resistance drop. Those 2 wires are shielded for electrical interferance. Each time the car is turned off- the MAF gets shot by the ECU with 12Vs to burn off any residual dirt that could be sitting on the "hot wire"- the part that measures air flow by resistance drop from the amount of air going through it. Intake air temp sensor - is on a separate circuit on the almighty DE-K, I am not so sure how the 5.5 gen does it, I don't own one I don't care !
Old 04-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Seoul Man

I have diagrams of the 5.5th gen sensor, which should help the more technical-minded people among us figure out if another, more durable MAF sensor could be adapted for use in the 2002/2003 Maxima.

These diagrams and charts specify the normal idle voltage for the sensor and other important values. As you can see, the second page below confirms that the MAF sensor wire harness has five positions, but the diagrams on BOTH pages below seem to indicate that only four of the five are actually used. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, and two of the five are used for the same thing. Either way, these diagrams from the FSM should help you guys figure out some of what you need to know.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:38 PM

Interesting...

Both the Max and 5.0s use 5V reference.

If one wire is not needed (Burn off function/ground?) then we would have only four wires. I need to look into this a lot more though.

The stock 5.0 meter is 55mm and they are going for about $25 used on Ebay. The stock 93 Cobra meter is 70mm and are going for about $55 used / $90 new. Many aftermarket meters are also available (Pro-M, C&L, Gran. etc.).

Anyone know the injector sizes of the 5th and 5.5 Gen Max? Mustang meters are calibrated by injector sizes. This might make the calibration close.

Thanks Blackbird and Spiromax!!!!
Gears