5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nissan Free Service - Three different Diagnoses

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 05:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nissan Free Service - Three different Diagnoses

So I've been to Nissan dealer 3 times this month. Each time to different dealer, each time for Free Diagnosis 100 Point Clinick. Each time I listed these problems to them: repetitve humming noise from front end, loose steering at highway speeds, clutch catches low, and SES light during my second visit.
Here are the outcomes from each dealer. I will not include the prices they quoted me to repair, since that is irrelevant to me, I fix that myself.

1) Mystic Nissan, Medford, MA
- Front wheel bearings are shot - need to replace all.
- Steering tie rods are loose and one is bent - need to replace all.
- Belts have 30% life left - need to replace.
- Engine Oil needs to be repalced.

2) Quirck Nissan, Quincy, MA
- Humming noise comes from trany bearings, all 6, need to repalce all. Replace Clutch at the same time, I got original clutch now with 102k miles on it. Price $1700.
- Wheel bearings are nice and tight, no problem there.
- Steering is tight, no problem.
- SES code is P0430, Front bank catalytic converter. I got CA emission car. $700 for that.

3) Frost Nissan, Newton, MA
- No SES light now, i reset it.
- Humming noise comes from front unevenly worn tire. I got Nitto 450 with about 45k miles on them.
- Steering vibration comes from front left bent rim. I got original 17". Roads in Boston are the worst.
- They noticed new MAF in there, recomended to reprogram ECM. I agreed, and asked them to forward timing to 17 degrees. Work order states that mechaninc did that, with note, saying to use high octane gas. I had rough idle when cold, and crappy gas milage. Now car runs much nicer.
- Recomended to use genuine air filter, becuase ones from Auto Zone do not seal the gaps properly between filter and housing.
- Front sway bar links aren't in best shape, may need to replace them soon.
- Mentioned that other then stuff above, car is in great shape.

Now these last guys seem to find less problems that cost least money to replace. How is that possible. I am just so pissed that someone can get screwed by a Nissan dealer, if they don't know whats going on.

Feel free to comment

P.S. Oh yeah, anyone with Max and 17" rims in Boston area would like to help me trouble shoot worn tire and bent rim, please let me know. Maybe on the weekend we can get together, swap front weels and go for a ride..Thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 06:28 AM
A swift Bimmer driver

Hey... whats up man?
Im a Frost Customer! I bought the car from Nissan of Natick, went there with a prob and was dealt with bad! So i turned around and went to Frost... they are awesome to me!
Who did u deal with there? The service rep Ruben is awesome... He always gives me good advise and has helped me out many times.

I have stock 17" rims with Michelin Pilot A/s on... I dont know about weekend times... Im usually free on thursday afternoons... not today, but next week maybe! email me at manojhilary@yahoo.com if u wanna do this man!
take care
Manoj

Originally Posted by nicks79
So I've been to Nissan dealer 3 times this month. Each time to different dealer, each time for Free Diagnosis 100 Point Clinick. Each time I listed these problems to them: repetitve humming noise from front end, loose steering at highway speeds, clutch catches low, and SES light during my second visit.
Here are the outcomes from each dealer. I will not include the prices they quoted me to repair, since that is irrelevant to me, I fix that myself.

1) Mystic Nissan, Medford, MA
- Front wheel bearings are shot - need to replace all.
- Steering tie rods are loose and one is bent - need to replace all.
- Belts have 30% life left - need to replace.
- Engine Oil needs to be repalced.

2) Quirck Nissan, Quincy, MA
- Humming noise comes from trany bearings, all 6, need to repalce all. Replace Clutch at the same time, I got original clutch now with 102k miles on it. Price $1700.
- Wheel bearings are nice and tight, no problem there.
- Steering is tight, no problem.
- SES code is P0430, Front bank catalytic converter. I got CA emission car. $700 for that.

3) Frost Nissan, Newton, MA
- No SES light now, i reset it.
- Humming noise comes from front unevenly worn tire. I got Nitto 450 with about 45k miles on them.
- Steering vibration comes from front left bent rim. I got original 17". Roads in Boston are the worst.
- They noticed new MAF in there, recomended to reprogram ECM. I agreed, and asked them to forward timing to 17 degrees. Work order states that mechaninc did that, with note, saying to use high octane gas. I had rough idle when cold, and crappy gas milage. Now car runs much nicer.
- Recomended to use genuine air filter, becuase ones from Auto Zone do not seal the gaps properly between filter and housing.
- Front sway bar links aren't in best shape, may need to replace them soon.
- Mentioned that other then stuff above, car is in great shape.

Now these last guys seem to find less problems that cost least money to replace. How is that possible. I am just so pissed that someone can get screwed by a Nissan dealer, if they don't know whats going on.

Feel free to comment

P.S. Oh yeah, anyone with Max and 17" rims in Boston area would like to help me trouble shoot worn tire and bent rim, please let me know. Maybe on the weekend we can get together, swap front weels and go for a ride..Thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 07:37 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this free diagnostic clinic you mentioned? I did a Google search and came up with nothing. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:59 AM

Annual 100-point Free inspection by Nissan dealer. You should have got a flyer in the mail if they have you on their list of original owners or if you registered with them. But basically, you don't need flier, just call them and ask for one. Its only for the month of April...
Old 04-28-2005, 12:27 PM

Good to know. It'll be a good way to check out the service at other dealers. Haven't found a good dealer in my area yet. I asked around in the regional forums, but mostly got info about places to avoid.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:48 PM

It all comes down to the service writer you deal with. They are as bad as the car salespeople. They get commission on every service they sell you so if you deal with a greedy service dept, they will try to take you for everything they can. Be careful as the original poster has illustrated.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:54 PM

Reading this makes me sick. I understand they have to "feed their families" and all, but this program is set up for people who dont know much about cars (like me) to get honest opinions on the wear n tear and safety of their car. If I went to the first place you listed I would have took what they said as gospel and be calling my credit union to for an extended line of credit...
Old 04-28-2005, 01:16 PM

I agree with TXT-1, it really depends on the service manager. However, even a good service manager can have a bad mechanic behind them.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

Excellent post nicks. Good comparison. It boils my blood when I hear of experiences like this at dealerships. They are one of the most untrustworthy persons on this earth. I would rather get my head cut off by an Iraqi insurgent than deal with a shotty dealer. I am outraged by how they conduct themselves. And it never stops.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:43 AM

So after a few days driving with reprogrammed ECM, car idles much nicer, no more cold roughness. But they forwarded timing to 17, and is there a way to tall that? Should I notice some small pick up? Or it is not felt except when you put in lower octane fuel?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bigEL
Pardon my ignorance, but what is this free diagnostic clinic you mentioned? I did a Google search and came up with nothing. Thanks.
we do free inspections 2 a year--1 in the spring and 1 in the fall--round oct--

dude u get different diagnosis' due to the different type of techs that are out there, some people just dont care and they are all about the money--see I will never try and sell something that a customer does not need--this is just me--not everybody is like that--as for maximas, there isnt really too much that go wrong with them--not too much maintaince needs--belts-around 45k depending on where u live(mostly dry places), brakes ?? depending on how u drive, and spark plugs at 105k, other than that its just oil changes and air filters. but as u said the roads around ur area are bad so u might get a bent wheel now and then and ur bearings go bad earlier. around here--northern cali,we hardly see bearings go bad--only like 96-99 maxis with over 150k on them---hope that helps u out--and yes dealerships have to make money--we are people too--just depends on how they treat u--we as techs get treated like the bottom of the totom poll --well thats at our dealer--but we have good customer service--or try too---
Old 05-01-2005, 04:25 AM

I understand everyone has to make money, so do I, but here in Boston area, service department seems extra greedy. Now, on thing is to diagnose something thats wrong, the other thing to overhaul tranny, when it doesn't need to. $1700, thats what I live on for a month...

anyways, anyone know how to differentiate between 15 and 17 timiing advance.?