5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

clear side markers, first ticket

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 12:29 PM

clear side markers, first ticket

i just got my first tiket for my clear side markers, ive had them on for years so i guess im lucky to last this long. according to the officer i have to go to 4hr safty school to get it off my record, does that sound right? if so itlll cost me about $130 for this, man that annoys me. any one ever get tickets for this?
Old 04-07-2005, 12:30 PM

what color lights did you have in them
Old 04-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Was this at day or at night?
Old 04-07-2005, 12:40 PM

night time, i had white lights, same as ive always had
Old 04-07-2005, 12:42 PM

damn, here its like, a $45 ticket or something. see, in NJ, they really dont care, you can pay fines 100 times for the same thing. why make you change it so they cant ticket you anymore? its more lucrative for them to just hand you a ticket.

every state is different, coldSHO, but that does seem a bit excessive for improper side marker color.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
night time, i had white lights, same as ive always had
Well, this is good news for those of us who have amber and red bulbs in the clear sidemarkers. At least I'm legal at night.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:45 PM

isnt it concidered a moving violation tho, i think in ill, if i get 3 within 2 years i lose my licence for like 6 months or soemthing, im dont really know, dont want to not be able to drive cause i had white lights.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:47 PM

...if i get 3 within 2 years i lose my licence for like 6 months or soemthing...
That is fregan harsh!
Old 04-07-2005, 12:51 PM

wow thats harsh. I don't see why having white in the side markes would matter. I understand the turn signals in the front and rear but not the markers. So couldn't you get a tix if the light is out (in theory)?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:06 PM

from what i understand, it is NOT a moving violation. i would like to see how they could twist the wording into making it one tho. it shouldnt be anything worse than improper use of a signal light, or the equivalent of headlight or tail light out. you gotta check the laws in your state tho, or call the municipality that issues your ticket.

a while back, when this wasnt nearly as popular as it is now, i got a ticket for improper signal light color. that is what was written on the ticket, but i had to call the office to find out the fine. when i called, the lady had no idea what i was talkin about, but the code the cop wrote down was for improper signal light...whatever that means, so it was a $35 ticket back then. she had never heard of improper signal light color tho, she said.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:11 PM

The side markers on the max aren't used as turn signals for most people (excluding people who have rewired).

The side markers are so that there is a red right/left reflector on the back and an amber right/left reflector on the front, which is what the law states is required to be legal. In other words, no matter the color of the light installed, if the car is off and someone's headlights shine onto the reflector it must reflect red on the back and amber on the front in order to be legal.

Look at other cars, they all have side reflectors somewhere.

Sucks that you got a ticket, try moving to Indianapolis lol, a cop (who lived behind me) told me all that stuff after I got clears on my old acura but that that he and the other officers thought it was too pointless to try and enforce.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:59 AM

wow that is crazy you have to go to school just for that, I would try to fight it, he can't really do that, then again I really don't know the rules in your state
Old 04-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Rob01ski

Take it to court, bring pictures to show the judge, or put the originals back in(this is risky move cause if you get with the white ones then your screwed) take pictures with the cleared side markers with white bulbs and see what happens man i've had this for like 3 years now and never got a ticket for it, i think illinois law states that it can be either the yellow and red or white but it cant be blue, dude TAKE IT TO COURT, DONT PAY 130 bucks for that, suburban cops are just tax collectors, theres no way this should be a moveing violation, and its 3 tickets for moveing violation in a year to get your license suspended for 3 months , i know cause i had it happen to me, but i took the tickets to court again, without a lawyer and had 2 tickets dropped by the judge it cost me like 90 bucks instead of paying probably like 500 for a lawyer to do it, dude take it to court, you should have the ticket dropped, hell the judge might even laugh at the cop for doing it, just bring pictures of it, plead not guilty and ask the judge how this is a moveing violation, all in all TAKE IT TO COURT, if you want more advice email me with questions.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:36 AM

isnt it concidered a moving violation tho, i think in ill, if i get 3 within 2 years i lose my licence for like 6 months or soemthing, im dont really know, dont want to not be able to drive cause i had white lights.

I don't believe its a moving violation. I believe its equipment failure. I think its I think its safe to keep em, just switch to amber bulbs up front.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:36 AM

Legal

Well just this past week i went through NJ Inspection and I failed for the highbeams. They saw the blueish tint of the PIAA Bulbs and failed me, so i went home and put the OEM ones back in. Right through with a pass!!! I have the Clear side markers with the colored bulbs in them, red in rear and amber in the front. Also I have them rewired so they blink also. Well, they didn't fail me for that at all. But I will say they stood around and looked at the car alot which pissed me off. I wanted out of there. I have the triple gauge pod inside with Air/Fuel , Volts and Nitrous. So I think they were trying to see where everything was hooked up. They asked me to open the trunk, I said sorry nothing in there needs inspecting. They said you have too, once again i said sorry nothing in there needs to be inspected. They advised me they would hold the car till a cop came. I kinda chuckled and laughed and said, don't wait for one , I am a Police Officer. Now what can i do for you? They didn't know what to say. I advised them that its illegal for them to look anywheres thats not part of the inspection. they kinda turned away and that was it . New Inspection sticker for 2 yrs. Right before i left, I told the guy who asked me to open the trunk, I said if that ever happens again I will not only file a complaint but file charges against him and and DMV for harrassment!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:43 AM

Yes, it is a moving violation. Technically, it is considered a moving violation if a police officer pulls you over and you are given a ticket for anything (tints, license plate covers, side markers... you get the point). I doubt however, that you'll lose your license. You did not get any points for this right? Should be considered an equipment violation. I wouldn't be too worried.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ryans Maxima
I don't believe its a moving violation. I believe its equipment failure. I think its I think its safe to keep em, just switch to amber bulbs up front.
'Tis a moving violation. When I went in for my NYPD medical check and filled out certain forms that required me to write any moving violations, they said any stoppage by an officer where a ticket was written is considered a moving violtion.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:51 AM

The side markers on the max aren't used as turn signals for most people (excluding people who have rewired).

The side markers are so that there is a red right/left reflector on the back and an amber right/left reflector on the front, which is what the law states is required to be legal. In other words, no matter the color of the light installed, if the car is off and someone's headlights shine onto the reflector it must reflect red on the back and amber on the front in order to be legal.

Look at other cars, they all have side reflectors somewhere.

Sucks that you got a ticket, try moving to Indianapolis lol, a cop (who lived behind me) told me all that stuff after I got clears on my old acura but that that he and the other officers thought it was too pointless to try and enforce.

Law is law.
those with colored lights are less likely to get caught, but are as illegal.
clears dont reflect red or amber, so you get the ticket and you cant contest (even with pics), regardless of the color of your lights.
if you dont follow the rules, at least pay the dues.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:52 AM

Its not a moving violation, its an equiptment violation, like failure to fix headlight, tail light, blinkers, mirrors, widows and so on. Moving only consists of violations while moving such as speeding, racing, swerving in and out of traffic, careless driving, fail to stop at a red light, a stop sign and so on.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by hct67
Its not a moving violation, its an equiptment violation, like failure to fix headlight, tail light, blinkers, mirrors, widows and so on. Moving only consists of violations while moving such as speeding, racing, swerving in and out of traffic, careless driving, fail to stop at a red light, a stop sign and so on.
Oh, so I guess what the officers who were present at the medical check that said any stoppage is considered a moving violation were just making things up?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by hct67
Well just this past week i went through NJ Inspection and I failed for the highbeams. They saw the blueish tint of the PIAA Bulbs and failed me, so i went home and put the OEM ones back in. Right through with a pass!!! I have the Clear side markers with the colored bulbs in them, red in rear and amber in the front. Also I have them rewired so they blink also. Well, they didn't fail me for that at all. But I will say they stood around and looked at the car alot which pissed me off. I wanted out of there. I have the triple gauge pod inside with Air/Fuel , Volts and Nitrous. So I think they were trying to see where everything was hooked up. They asked me to open the trunk, I said sorry nothing in there needs inspecting. They said you have too, once again i said sorry nothing in there needs to be inspected. They advised me they would hold the car till a cop came. I kinda chuckled and laughed and said, don't wait for one , I am a Police Officer. Now what can i do for you? They didn't know what to say. I advised them that its illegal for them to look anywheres thats not part of the inspection. they kinda turned away and that was it . New Inspection sticker for 2 yrs. Right before i left, I told the guy who asked me to open the trunk, I said if that ever happens again I will not only file a complaint but file charges against him and and DMV for harrassment!
So no problems for the tint? And how dark is it?

I have to do inspection in May and I'm going to try to find a private place, because I have blueish bulbs in the clearance lights and i'm sure they'll say something about those.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:24 PM

damn cold sho, it should not have been written up as a moving violation. i live in chicago and south burbs and (knock on wood) i have never gotten pulled over for the clear side markers with hyper white bulbs in em, i even have hyper white turn signals up front and had no problem. i have 3 cook county sheriff family members, and all said it would not be written up as a moving violation, even if you were to get pulled over by a trooper in il. it should either be a village fine or complaint, which the fine may vary from $30 - $50 depending on the town. good luck with that though.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Rob01ski

Hey guys different states different laws, just take it to court.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:31 PM

Yes

Probably because when your license gets run, it won't show up on the record as having a ticket for the lights. Only moving violations show up on your driving record. I know because I run the computer each and every day. Just like a parking ticket, could you imagine if the Courts had to put in each and every parking ticket, peoples licenses would be more then 10 pages long. Thats why I stated before moving is a traficc infraction, not a parts violation.

Originally Posted by Sizzo718
Oh, so I guess what the officers who were present at the medical check that said any stoppage is considered a moving violation were just making things up?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:48 PM

wow thats ridiculous, ive gotten a ticket for my tints atleast once a year but no points on my license or anything? a 4 hour class just for side markers? thats nuts..

I would pay someone at the 4hr class thing to say u were there and be out.. but whatever im saying right now is an illusion
Old 04-18-2005, 04:51 PM

are smoked sides illegal?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:52 PM

only if u can see a red/yellow reflection from them..
Old 04-18-2005, 05:36 PM

yeah i really need to get amber and red bulbs for mine (since it's a lot more noticable at night with the hyper whites)...but i've passed many cops, and even when i got my speeding ticket, i had just my fogs and of course the clearance and sidemarker lights on, and the cop either didnt notice, or didnt care, because he was standing beside my car for a while and didnt say anything....i just got lucky, but one day my luck will run out just as yours did, so in the meantime, i really need to get me some amber and red bulbs! (and yes i know this is still illegal, i just want it to be less noticable at night..)
Old 04-18-2005, 06:34 PM

what about in CT, i have clear sides all around and hyper white bulbs. Am i safe, cause i have a perfect record with no tickets or anything, so why break it now??
Old 04-18-2005, 07:55 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

I had super whites and got pulled over. Running amber front and red back now
Old 04-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Z

What the hell? Clear sidemarkers are NOT a moving violation. It's an equipment violation. Any cop who tells you otherwise is a brain dead d!ckweed.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
So no problems for the tint? And how dark is it?

I have to do inspection in May and I'm going to try to find a private place, because I have blueish bulbs in the clearance lights and i'm sure they'll say something about those.
you shouldnt have problems, maybe it depends, i have clear corners and clearence with polarg bulbs, and i actaully went to the dmv and they didnt even look at them. but it depends, i guess they can be **** about it if they want to. i dont understand why you cant have clear corners (not side markers which has to reflect amber), when some cars have bright *** purple 9000k HIDs, those clear corners arnt even that bright. maybe its just another excuse for cops to give you a ticket.