5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Aftermarket Amps, Power Wire Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 05:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Aftermarket Amps, Power Wire Install

Has anyone had to drill a hole through the firewall to run a power wire for aftermaket stereo components installation? I tried to find a good place to run the power wire from the battery to my trunk for the amps, and could not find any holes in the firewall, or even a good spot to drill one. I have done similar installs on 2 or 3 previous cars of mine, so I am not handycapped, but I cannot figure it out. If you have any ideas, or even pictures of your engine bay, where you drille/found the hole, please help.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:34 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

I ran it through the fender and into the same hole where hood release wire is. No need to drill a hole
Old 04-11-2005, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ammi
I ran it through the fender and into the same hole where hood release wire is. No need to drill a hole
After a quick search this weekend, I used the same method to run my power wire thru the firewall. Jack up the drivers front side, SUPPORT THE CAR WITH A JACK STAND, take the wheel off, and remove a few screws and plugs to pull the fender liner back (or out). You'll see 2 rubber grommets with wires coming thru the firewall. The smaller one below with 1 "wire" coming thru is the hood release cable. Go in the cabin, follow the hood release and cable to the firewall and pull the grommet out. Then go back to the engine bay and you'll see the wire loom passing from the engine bay to the fender. Pass the wire thru there. Make a small hole in the grommet in the fender well and pass the wire thru it, and then thru the fire wall. Took me about 15 minutes to do once I read the how-to on this board. Of course I killed over an hour trying to figure it out on my own, and then trying to do it w/out taking the wheel off. Don't bother, you can't easily feed the wire thru the firewall w/the wheel on. Taking the wheel off IS worth the time.

*disclaimer*- do all work at your own risk -*end disclaimer*
Old 04-11-2005, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Canecreekfreak
After a quick search this weekend, I used the same method to run my power wire thru the firewall. Jack up the drivers front side, SUPPORT THE CAR WITH A JACK STAND, take the wheel off, and remove a few screws and plugs to pull the fender liner back (or out). You'll see 2 rubber grommets with wires coming thru the firewall. The smaller one below with 1 "wire" coming thru is the hood release cable. Go in the cabin, follow the hood release and cable to the firewall and pull the grommet out. Then go back to the engine bay and you'll see the wire loom passing from the engine bay to the fender. Pass the wire thru there. Make a small hole in the grommet in the fender well and pass the wire thru it, and then thru the fire wall. Took me about 15 minutes to do once I read the how-to on this board. Of course I killed over an hour trying to figure it out on my own, and then trying to do it w/out taking the wheel off. Don't bother, you can't easily feed the wire thru the firewall w/the wheel on. Taking the wheel off IS worth the time.

*disclaimer*- do all work at your own risk -*end disclaimer*
This is how I did it, too. I just had to modify the rubber grommets a bit to accept the 4 guage wire, and then I siliconed over the grommet in the wheel well. Here are some pics

In the wheel well:

In the cabin:

Old 04-11-2005, 01:26 PM

Thanks a lot to everybody, this is almost live tech support. =)
Old 04-11-2005, 01:27 PM

P.S. Thanks for the pix especially.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:40 PM

You Da Man!

THOSE ARE THE PICS I FOUND! THANK YOU- I almost gave up before finding your previous post.

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
This is how I did it, too. I just had to modify the rubber grommets a bit to accept the 4 guage wire, and then I siliconed over the grommet in the wheel well. Here are some pics

In the wheel well:

In the cabin:

Old 04-11-2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Canecreekfreak
THOSE ARE THE PICS I FOUND! THANK YOU- I almost gave up before finding your previous post.
Yeah, I just stole those from the post in the Audio section from a few days ago.

Anyway, as you can see, this is doable without taking the wheel off. But it's certainly easier with the wheel removed to reach the plastic clips holding in the wheel well lining.

-Brian