5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Questions about front/rear anti-sway bar(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 05:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Questions about front/rear anti-sway bar(s)

I want to put on a Progress rear anti-sway bar, and BlehmCo front anti-sway bar. Before I do this, there are a few conserns to be answered. Here is a question for all those who have one or both of these: Do they damage or wear out anything faster? I would think that the springs/struts would get more abuse, or maybe the unibody twists more or something. I think that something has to give, either ride quality or durability of the car, especially some suspension components. I think that each one of our wheels is independent, so when there is a bump in the road just the right side hits it, and the WHOLE car does not jolt. If the anti-sway bars connect the left and the right sides, would the whole car jump more if there is a bump in the road, and just the right tires ride over it? And the last question, which RSB do you think is better, Stillen or Progressive, or are they the same thing, different names? I have an SE, and like the ride quality, so changing the springs and struts is not somethign I want to do. Can the stock SE suspension handle the extra abuse that may come with these anti-sway bars (and I mean for a while, not just 1 or 2 years).
Old 04-27-2005, 07:13 AM
Maxima Pilot

Stiffer (or new where there was'nt one before as in the rear) will actually transfer some load from the springs to the sway bar itself, meaning, you dont have to worry about the sway bar causing any undue harm to struts, springs or other hardware

A definite recommendation is the front shock tower strut brace which ties the front struts together by spanning across the engine bay...this will add rigidity to the front structure. It's not something you will feel from a handling standpoint except maybe on very rough roads, but it will stiffen the chassis up a bit and allow the suspension to do its thing better...

As to which one, I went with Stillen hardware.....other options that are just as functional are available, some of them which u mention
Old 04-27-2005, 07:30 AM

The car will jolt more when you hit a bump - exactly as you say, both rear wheels will react even when only one hits a bump.

Otherwise though, have experienced zero problems with my RSB, and it has definitely improved the handling characteristics. Mine is a progress bar, easy to put on and adjust.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:34 AM

I put the Stillen RSB/FSTB on at the same time. It is a very worthwhile mod for our cars. Our 00-03 Maxima's have a solid beam rear axle, not independent rear suspension, so there is a little more harshness when going over uneven pavement with a aftermarket RSB. All in all, this RSB/FSTB combo is a great first step in modding your suspension, and I recommend it highly. As for all your other concerns of damage or premature wear and tear, I am quite confident that our chasis/suspension can hold up to the addition of a RSB without any problems whatsoever.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:50 AM
The Definitive AE Master

the only premature wear I can imagine is from the tires
Old 04-27-2005, 11:38 AM

Yeah. I can see the tires wearing faster =). But one of Newton's laws states that energy never dissapears, but gets transfered. If the g-force made the car lean during a turn, with the anti-sway bars installed the engergy has to go somewhere. Either the bushings or struts or your head maybe ;-). For real, something has to give, otherwise every car would have anti-sway bars bolted on, and I dont mean stock anti-sway bars, i mean the additional after market types.