5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

misfiring help! e55amg2, blackbird?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 02:18 PM
dot dot dot ...

That's good, can't wait till you get that thing in working order. Finally headers
Old 05-24-2005, 02:30 PM
The Definitive AE Master

i'm sure 3 new coils cost less than brand new headers

most likely the front 3 are fine considering that you unplugged them and there WAS a difference in idle. Therefore the culprit should be one of the rear 3 or just to be safe pull all 6 and check the ohm resistance
Old 05-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Need A Light?

for sure! man i'mma be PISSED if it ain't my coilpacks....i so miss the power of this car

damn my car is LOUD with the headers and catback....i even think it's loud and i have a real high tolerance for loudness....i use to have a 4th gen with intake/downpipe/greddy catback...and i thought that thing was QUIET as hell....well I guess headers/downpipe really changes the exhaust tone from just a downpipe...I plan to run full exhaust from the header-back (including test pipe) and enjoy the car for awhile...then i'mma swap my stock muffler on and sell my cattman rear section....cuz I think this car is way too loud for daily...plus with a stock muffler...i won't become a cop magnet no more
Old 05-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by Larrio
i'm sure 3 new coils cost less than brand new headers

most likely the front 3 are fine considering that you unplugged them and there was no difference in idle. Therefore the culprit should be one of the rear 3 or just to be safe pull all 6 and check the ohm resistance
actually when I unplugged all front 3...the idle and exhaust note changes...and when I rev it...it sputters even more....and this goes for cylinder #5 which is the rear drivers side coil...that one sputters too when disconnected...

what do u think larry? the tech at nissan said "the reason why yer not throw an SES for ignition coils is becuz they aren't completely dead"...that seems believeable...and i am only throwing a 0300 for misfiring and not a 1320 for ignition coils...so maybe all 6 of my coils are half dead?
Old 05-24-2005, 03:06 PM
dot dot dot ...

most likely the front 3 are fine considering that you unplugged them and there was no difference in idle.
Isn't this the opposite of what you mean ...
Old 05-24-2005, 03:08 PM
Need A Light?

larry's smoking some good **** again
Old 05-24-2005, 03:30 PM
The Definitive AE Master

awww damn.... nmexmax, you are right.

its midterms week here, my brain is fried.

i believe andy threw no codes when he had coil problems also, but the car ran like crap and was loud. We kept unplugging the coils till we found the one which didn't affect the car idle, pulled all 6 to make sure resistance was good, and then reinstalled
Old 05-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Need A Light?

i don't know exactly how to check coils on a maxima...becuz in the 00 FSM and the 93-01 haynes manual....they explain two different ways....in the 00 FSM....they want u to put positive and negative on coil terminals 2-3.....on the haynes it says coil terminals 1-2....i'm confused

tell me which terminal is which....this is from left to right in the picture u see right there....so far I know it goes terminals 3-2-1 from left to right....which ones do I put positive&negative to?

i'm going to try the rear coils tomorrow...see if they are the same as the fronts...if thats the case then i think something is up with my fuel pressure...i hope its not
Old 05-25-2005, 01:21 AM
The Definitive AE Master

or you can just mix em up until it reads the ohm resistance that you want
Old 05-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Need A Light?

or you can just mix em up until it reads the ohm resistance that you want
alright coo...thats wut i tried doing last night when all front 3 coils were out...i just mixed and mixed....all 3 of them read 3/4th of an OHM....the FSM says as long as its above 0 OHM..its still good...but u know what i was thinking? won't the coils' strength change under load? and testing it thru an OHM meter isn't under load....so does that mean the OHM test for coils isn't a 100% accurate test?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by steven88
alright coo...thats wut i tried doing last night when all front 3 coils were out...i just mixed and mixed....all 3 of them read 3/4th of an OHM....the FSM says as long as its above 0 OHM..its still good...but u know what i was thinking? won't the coils' strength change under load? and testing it thru an OHM meter isn't under load....so does that mean the OHM test for coils isn't a 100% accurate test?
Ya that is right.... i already posted this i dont know if anyone noticed it...... let your car run for a few min to reach operating temp... then take a heat gun and point at each runner from your headers... if you are missfiring pretty much not burning the a/f mixture which ever cylinders if missfiring the runner will have a lower temp than the ones that are not missfiring. its easy way to diagnose which cylinder it missfiring if you got a temp gun..
Old 05-25-2005, 09:23 AM

Actually on second though whenever you test something for resistance ( ohms ) you are suppose to isolate it from the circuit... take the coil off the car.. But im not entirely sure on individual coils... Bird E55 am i right???
Old 05-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Need A Light?

I am taking the coils completely off the car....as u can see in the picture...i am in the living room table with the coil off the car completely.....i already knew that in the first place...hehe

as far as the temp gun...i dont have access to one...but that does sound like a good idea...although i don't know how i can reach the rear manifold....i would have to jack up the car and go under it....but that is definitely a real tight spot especially when the exhaust is real hot down there

lets just say my problem was related to fuel....in other words...not enough fuel getting into the cylinders to cause a good explosion....wouldn't that make me LEAN? and shouldn't I be KNOCKING and not misfiring? And wouldn't I be throwing codes for LEAN mixture? I just thought of this right now...I am not knocking, only misfiring....the tech believes that my coils are on the way of dying....he said misfiring can be caused by "insufficent spark, but still enough spark to at least fire a little...thats why when u disconnect your coils with the car on...and hear your car choke even more....it's still not a 100% indicating that your coils are 100% working".....is this true? sounds believeable
Old 05-25-2005, 09:55 AM
dot dot dot ...

Lean = bad bad bad ..
Old 05-25-2005, 09:57 AM

the tech believes that my coils are on the way of dying....he said misfiring can be caused by "insufficent spark, but still enough spark to at least fire a little... that right... the spark could be small enough to ignite some of the mixture not all of it. not enough fuel would make you run lean. and not enough fuel could cause a misfire too.. if you dont have enough fuel you wont have complete combustion. if that was the case your o2 sensor would read NOX and CO. nitrogen of oxide which occurs when cylinders get to hot from a lean misfire basically and Carbon monixide is unburnt a/f mixture. if you running that lean im pretty sure your o2's would pick it up and then you should have some sort of lean misfire code...... so lean misfire would be a fuel problem and a rich misfire would be a ignition problem.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by 01GreyLustreSE
the tech believes that my coils are on the way of dying....he said misfiring can be caused by "insufficent spark, but still enough spark to at least fire a little... that right... the spark could be small enough to ignite some of the mixture not all of it. not enough fuel would make you run lean. and not enough fuel could cause a misfire too.. if you dont have enough fuel you wont have complete combustion. if that was the case your o2 sensor would read NOX and CO. nitrogen of oxide which occurs when cylinders get to hot from a lean misfire basically and Carbon monixide is unburnt a/f mixture. if you running that lean im pretty sure your o2's would pick it up and then you should have some sort of lean misfire code...... so lean misfire would be a fuel problem and a rich misfire would be a ignition problem.
YEAH! thats wut i thought too....i mean i realize if i was running lean...it can still cause a misfire becuz it doesn't get enough fuel to complete the cycle.....but at the same time, a lean combustion cylinder would be REAL REAL hot and the o2's should pick up the signal and send it back to the ecu....but i DON'T get any other codes....and my o2's are working properly...i know becuz i've tested them by disconnecting them and it threw codes....

thanks for chiming in so much u guys...keep it coming

I might head to a local mechanic later tonight...he's my friend's dad's mechanic....he said he has the tools to do a fuel pressure test so i will let u know how my fuel system is....
Old 05-25-2005, 12:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

If you know anyone local with an 02-03 change their coil packs and see what it does.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Need A Light?

Naw...i wish I did...no locals around here

just got back from skool...about to take apart my intake manifold and test the rear coils....brb
Old 05-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Need A Light?

alright so check this out....tested the rear coils and front coils....every single one of them reads .75 OHMs resistance....man wtf!?!?! whats going on here?

i also went to the local mechanic cuz he said he would do the fuel pressure test for me....right when i got their...he diagnosed it real quick by the sound and immediately said...."for SURE its not related to fuel....becuz i've been working on cars way before u were even born" ...i'm like "whatever and just left".....

what should I do guys? all six coils are above 0 OHMs...and the FSM says as long as it's not 0 OHMs then its still a good coil...it doesn't say anything about what a WEAK coil is....Larry wut resistance are you getting on Andy's car?

EDIT : scratch off .75 OHMs resistance....my friend's OHM meter was actually calibrated wrong....now i got it back to normal....all six coils on my car reads 1.5 OHMs...i still don't understand....argh...could it be my coils going bad even though i'm reading 1.5 OHMs on all coils?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:00 PM
The Definitive AE Master

i'll need to check on the ohm resistance, we followed whatever it was said in the haynes manual

since the coils are off, pull all six spark plugs to take a look also. Check the harnesses that plug into the coils also
Old 05-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Need A Light?

i'll need to check on the ohm resistance, we followed whatever it was said in the haynes manual

since the coils are off, pull all six spark plugs to take a look also. Check the harnesses that plug into the coils also

thanks...let me know wassup right when u get the info...really appreciate it.....oh yeah is there a way to check the connector using my ohm meter? would i have to disconnect the battery for this operation?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Need A Light?

just for kicks, i went to the local stealership this morning and asked them to see one of their 02 maxima coilpacks....i brought in my ohm meter and tested it out....it reads 1.5 OHMs....same as all 6 of my coilpacks...man wtf....

i really don't know what to do...i mean a brand new coilpack reads 1.5....and so do all 6 of them on my car.....i'm affraid that if i go out and buy new coils...it would result in nothing becuz i did the OHM readings on all of them
Old 05-26-2005, 06:45 PM

if there was something wrong with your coils the ohm meter would read ofl.. ( out of feild limits i think)... if there was a open in the circuit elictrically or mechinacal... an open is still an open..... i dont know what to tell you. if your getting spark and fuel next i guess would be a compression test or timing.... i dunno wish i could help you out more..
Old 05-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Need A Light?

Yeah I don't know what to say either....but u know what? I talked to DAVEB earlier and asked him this question...he told me that "coils for maximas can still register a resistance even though they are no good".....he also mentioned he has many customers with perfectly fine coils on the OHM meter...but they misfire like crazy...turns out to be the coils and it fixed everything.....I even talked to Mikey at Superior Nissan of punte hills and he said the EXACT same thing....how coils on our maximas suck and can still register a resistance....

anyway the good news is...i ordered 6 brand new coils and 6 NGK Platinum spark plugs for $340 out the door....thanks to Mikey and Frank @ superior nissan....i'm going to pick them up hopefully on Saturday...and keep you guys posted on the progress....i'm sure there are quite a few of u out there with ignition problems...so i'm hoping my thread is informative to u guys
Old 05-26-2005, 10:54 PM
dot dot dot ...

GL good to know that all seems to be well ...
Old 05-27-2005, 04:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

steven88, Have you checked the fuel pressure and injectors yet? Also I take it that the way it's running you haven't added an new gas lately. Is there a chance you got some bad gas? I heard of some bad gas being distributed in the northwest here is a link.
http://www.conocophillips.com/newsro...ndale_Area.htm

I know your further south but this just shows that it does happen.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by MaximaMan77
steven88, Have you checked the fuel pressure and injectors yet? Also I take it that the way it's running you haven't added an new gas lately. Is there a chance you got some bad gas? I heard of some bad gas being distributed in the northwest here is a link.
http://www.conocophillips.com/newsro...ndale_Area.htm

I know your further south but this just shows that it does happen.
You know what...my WRX friend told me about the bad batch of gas...but the thing is....I got this problem since May 7th...not the misfiring problem....on May 7th I experienced a rough start-up, power loss after 3k, etc.....but it threw absolutely no misfiring codes...I thought it was the MAF and changed it...still no go....so I thought it was my precats clogged up, since everybody on the .org was talking about it (and it happened to two people already)....so this past Sunday (22nd) I installed cattman headers....then I started to get this misfiring code....but I probably went through 2 tanks of gas since may 7th...

As far as the fuel injectors, fuel pressure thing goes...I haven't checked any yet...becuz I don't have access to any tools....but from all my research...and from talking to many different people....my problem is NOT fuel related....many hardcore maxima heads such as DAVEB, Blackbird, etc....chimed in sayin, its your coils no doubt....
Old 05-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Need A Light?

Update - okay I installed 6 brand new NGKs and 6 brand new coils....still no go ....i tried resetting the ECU and doing the idle air volume reset that is listed on the TS website...and it still runs like crap..now I am absolutely stunned that this didn't fix the problem.....i really don't know what to do....i feel like crap right now
Old 05-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Need A Light?

Alright I think my plan for this week is to just get it diagnosed at the stealership...I hope everything goes well...but as far as I know...I have a big feeling its going to be something serious....so serious that I have to order parts which will take weeks....

Anyway my question is...can I drive this car daily just to get from here to work/school? My skool and work is less than 5 miles from my house....I also plan to put on my stock muffler on tomorrow...so I won't attract any cops during daily driving..then throw on my budget test pipe when it comes in on Tuesday....I heard misfiring will melt your cat that is why I plan to put on my test pipe ASAP....

so is driving a misfiring car for like 1 month bad? I hope it's not...I just need to drive this car a few miles per day...and my test pipe willl be replacing the cat, so no harm to the cats will be done...anything else I should be aware of?
Old 05-31-2005, 11:14 AM
The Definitive AE Master

andrew, I just found out that your car has a salvage title to it? You should have mentioned that in the first place.

Where was the damage at the time that you bought it? There could be more severe problems if things were not fixed correctly, especially if your engine harness has suffered some damage or wasn't replaced at the time of the accident if it was a front end collision. Who did the work on the car at the time of accident prior to the salvage title?
Old 05-31-2005, 11:27 AM
Need A Light?

Hey,

The car already came like that....the title was actually given on May 03 iirc....The damage was done on the drivers side headlight/fender area....I even saw pictures of the car and it wasn't all that bad...carfax says the airbags weren't even deployed...The reason why it received the title was because they stole interior parts....the real expensive **** yenno? Electronics/accessory wise it hasn't given me any problems....my carfax reports no flooding or any other kind of natural disaster which would cause car electronics to malfunction....
Old 05-31-2005, 01:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

Are your VI and throttle body plate screws still there?
Old 05-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Need A Light?

Yup...took a look at them too....since the manifold came off when I did the coilpack install...all seems well if u ask me....If u looked at the car and checked everything out...the fuel/electronics/air systems is all in working order....its just I don't know wtf is going on....could it be ECU related?

and what puzzles me the most is I got this problem RIGHT AFTER the header install....before the header install I wasn't throwing codes for ****....but it did run crappy for only God knows why...not as badly as now though...at least I could drive it daily and still have enough power to pass up traffic....now its so slow it takes me 8 seconds or so to cross an intersection....!
Old 05-31-2005, 02:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

Compression? Need maybe a new ECU ...
Old 05-31-2005, 07:22 PM

it would appear the stealership is your only option at this point.. im sorry to hear that. are there any other problems you have?? electrically???
Old 05-31-2005, 07:34 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Drop the car off at the dealer, and let them figure it out. 340 dollars for coil packs etc but why not pay the diagnostic charge at the dealer and let them go at it ? I've told you that on AIM a few times already maaang
Old 05-31-2005, 11:57 PM
Need A Light?

Update - okay NOWWW i am sooooooo pissssseeedDDD!! i took my car into the dealership earlier today at 3pm....got a call around 7pm from my service advisor....he responded saying "Andrew, i'm sorry to tell you this, but I am 90% sure it's your fuel injectors.....BUT, BUT i am not 100% sure only becuz when my tech tried to diagnose it further, the head manager came in and said to STOP all work on my car....this is becuz your car is highly modified and nowhere near stock...there are alot of things disconnected under the engine bay (he's prob talking about my downstream o2's)...therefore it is not within spec and cannot be diagnosed CORRECTLY"......WTF kind of BULLSH!T is this!?!?!

Tomorrow I am going to pick up the car and have a little chat with the service manager...this is PURE BS...what gives you the right to to tell the techs to STOP working on my car just cuz it's got an intake/header/exhaust?!?!!? that ****s nowhere near heavily modified....it doesn't change ****!!! OMG!!!
Old 06-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Need A Light?

i dunno who to take it to, distance is a real big factor becuz this car is very dangerous to drive...it has no power at all..man i'm so frusterated right now..alright lets see....if indeed it was my fuel injectors...wouldn't it cause my car to run LEAN and my o2's would immediately pick it up? and wouldn't i be pinging? I really don't know how a ping feels cuz I never experienced it....and i doubt i'll feel it anyway with all this misfiring going on...

just for reference, I can shoot RAW fuel out of my tailpipe if I rev it high enough...i also took a long blade screwdriver and attached it to all 6 injectors...each of them ticks nicely....so how can it be my injectors!?! man wtf!
Old 06-01-2005, 04:11 AM
drag racing is for wussies

Since your car has a salvage title- it has no warranty. Ask the manager wtf is the problem with the car being modified ? Exhaust work and a intake is NOT going to cause the engine to run like azz. He probably doesn't wanna warranty anything on the car due to mods- which is fine cause he probably don't know that you are paying for the diagnosis and it has no warranty. So ask him this- when a 88 Sentra comes in with a drivability problem- do they just tell the person to beat it ?

Nissan dealers are a buncha schmucks, managers have no clue bout cars. If you need some help I can call up few people at the Nissan Corporate office that will rip that manager a new azzhole for treating the customer like that. I know some people within Nissan Motor Corp, one call will have him collecting food stamps.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:55 AM

The force is strong within him..(blackbird) lol... the tech must of been pretty pissed off too because he just wasted his time for nothing!! umm bad injectors but your spitting out fuel from the exhaust???? that sounds strange to me... that sounds more of a timing/compression problem..

Quick Reply: misfiring help! e55amg2, blackbird?