5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

misfiring help! e55amg2, blackbird?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Need A Light?

I picked up my car earlier from the dealership...My service advisor wasn't in...nor was the tech who worked on my car...but the Head Service Director was there...I was able to speak to him and he basically said..."I'm sorry, we are a professional shop, we do professional work...we don't do stuff that is half assed (prob talking about my disconnected o2 sensors)...and there are just WAAAY too many factors involved into diagnosing this vehicle"...this is what he said even after I told him I'll pay him

He even had the guts to say "My tech Kenny told me after diagnosing it for 1-2hrs he came to the conclusion that its your fuel injectors....then afterwards he found out many things wrong with your vehicle like disconnected sensors, modified things, etc etc....and just said fu*k it, it's not diagnosable"...i know this is a LIE becuz I spoke to Kenny personally last week and he SAW everything under my hood....

another thing worth mentioning is me running LEAN....the head service director said I was running extremely lean and when he busted out the print-out from the consult II...i didn't see jack **** on the printout about me running lean, so I pointed that out to him...then he goes to say "oh it must have not printed out correctly" as if he was trying to play it off or something....obviously these guys were trying to lie to me....

Anyway I spoke to him about everything BlackBird mentioned...he denied everything....I even asked him if I rolled up in an 88 sentra if he would help me out? He said "Yup most definitely if you are stock....your maxima is nowhere near stock so it's just not diagnosable"....this is so much BS becuz i can count like 3-4 350z's that day with modified stuff....

Anyway don't ever go to Cerritos Nissan...their head service director Dave Okamoto is a real monkey and doesn't know jack ****....I wonder where I can go to file a complaint to corperate?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Still Here... IM me for more..

why don't you talk to jdmmax (frank) and see if he knows any cool service advisors where he works (superior nissan - puente hills, i think) also, Performance Nissan (Duarte) is a big aftermarket/mod shop - Jason from the parts dept is on the 350z sites alot. So try talking to frank or jason and see if they can tell you if their shops are mod friendly.... and hurry up and figure out the misfire issue, cuz I have it too...
Old 06-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Need A Light?

thanks for reading Roy....but Frank told me to just come into service and drop off the car....no hookups here....i'm sure superior is much more mod friendly than cerritos....since their parts department has alot of illegal things (sr20det's, headers, JDM parts etc)....haha not sayin it's bad but they aren't street legal....

I doubt my car can even make it there...I live approximately 25 miles from superior nissan...I already had trouble making it to Cerritos and i live 2 miles from that stealership....drove over there with my hazards on just to let other motorists know my car is having trouble
Old 06-02-2005, 05:15 AM
drag racing is for wussies

Got Tripple A ? Or know someone who does ? If you do - have the person call up tripple A, and say the car is dead on the side of the road and have it towed to the dealer of your choice. Make sure ahead of time that they will work on it thou.

2 hours on diagnosing injectors eh ? How can you in the 2 hours of diagnosis not notice the things that are changed under the hood ? What they have Stevie Wonder work on cars there or WTF ?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
2 hours on diagnosing injectors eh ? How can you in the 2 hours of diagnosis not notice the things that are changed under the hood ? What they have Stevie Wonder work on cars there or WTF ?
thats what i'm sayin! Kenny would never say such a thing....that dumb service manager is making **** up...Kenny saw all my aftermarket parts and said "these are not going to make your car misfire"....that dumb service manager is just ghey....

right now I am in the process of doing a compression test....let's see if my internals are holding up well....if all my cylinders come out clean....then is it a safe bet to say my injectors are clogged up?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:55 PM

Ohm them out, get a ohm meter again and connect it to the injectors. See what the reading is on each one. There are only 2 tabs inside each injector- plus and minus. I dont know what the spec is on those injectors, I know 4th gens need to be around 12ohms, anything above is no good. Anything past 10 Ohm or lower is bad also.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Need A Light?

Okay back from the garage....did a compression test and all SIX cylinders came out to be 200ish PSI...so my motor is nice and healthy....went on to do the OHM test on the injectors....the weird thing is...I came up with 0 OHMs on all 6 fuel injectors....does this sound right? Be back later...going to trouble shoot even further....at least i'm glad my motor is healthy
Old 06-02-2005, 08:11 PM
dot dot dot ...

BlackBIRD said less than 10 is bad, not it's not normal, anything lower than 10 is bad. You're using it correctly aren't you?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:27 PM

how did you hook up the ohm meter to the injectors??????
Old 06-02-2005, 08:32 PM

I dont know what the spec is on the 00-up injectors so don't quote me on it, but it seems as if it was 0 ohm all around the injectors are ALL shorted out. Which would make the car not run at all.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Need A Light?

I'm sure we are using the OHM meter correctly...theres a little calibrating scroller on the side of the meter...it's calibrated to read 0 OHMs when the positive and negative of the meter touch each other....also I checked my coilpacks once again and they all read 1 OHM....

1fstmax is going to bring his meter to my house on Sunday.....we are also going to conduct a fuel pressure test...hopefully we can get some good news...but we are narrowing it down to something related to the fuel...maybe broken fuel pump? would a messed up fuel pump make my car run like this? hmm...
Old 06-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Need A Light?

other things to note...about misfiring

1) My intake manifold gasket...it looks fine and isn't bent up...The FSM lists air leaks can cause misfires...and my misfiring ONLY happened AFTER the header install...during the header install my intake manifold was removed but not the gasket..but my point is, it has been touched..could it be that it's not effective anymore even though it looks fine?

2) Drive Plate/Flywheel - the FSM lists this under misfiring...I don't know how this can tie up with misfiring though? what are the chances of me having a jacked up flywheel? Original tranny @ 40k miles

3) Ignition Secondary Circuit is open or shorted....Injector circuit is open or shorted...the FSM lists these conditions too...what are the chances of these? I am thinking from the top of my head...if these components were to go out...shouldn't my car not run at all? Please elobrate if possible

4) The FSM also lists Fuel Pressure as a cause for misfiring...if we do a fuel pressure test and find out fuel pressure is LOW...can i safely say it's my fuel pump being bad? On the flipside, if we find out that fuel pressure is GOOD, can I safely say it's my fuel injectors being bad?

I understand a misfire is usually a faulty coilpack/spark/ignition related...but someone mentioned a lean misfire is possible....isn't it called knocking/detonating and not misfire? while a misfire would be a rich/stoich condition but not a strong enough spark? besides wouldn't my o2 sensors pick up extremely hot EGTs and throw codes? I only throw 0300 codes for multiple cylinder misfires
Old 06-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Need A Light?

Alright dudes...another update....Today I went to superior nissan of punte hills becuz I talked to one of the service advisors and he said for sure we'll take a look at it....came back 2hrs later with bad news...they basically said the same **** Cerritos said...."we are getting weird readings becuz your downstream o2's are simulated".....BLAH! i dunno what to do now...

Larrio if you are reading this, can you plz get in contact with Andy? My service advisor said "honestly, u have no choice but to go get it checked out by a motorsports shop....we can't do it here".....and u guys are the only ones that I can trust....
Old 06-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Rob01ski

Hey sorry if this is dumb question are your simulators connected right and are they actually working, like grounded correctly and stuff like that they migth be sending wrong voltages back to ecu, sorry if this is stupid post but i was just thinking that.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Need A Light?

Yes they are installed correctly ...the L.E.D. blinks....i tried disconnecting all my o2's...and tried firing her up.....still the same result, except i get o2 codes now....reconnect everything back, the codes go away....besides only the downstream o2's are simulated...the upstream ones are still stock....the downstream doesn't do anything to mess up the AFR on a car..
Old 06-07-2005, 02:11 AM
The Definitive AE Master

hmm... odd that they can't diagnose the car based on the o2 simulator. All the simulator does is oscillate a 0-0.6V signal by intercepting the stock o2 wire to ECU fooling the car to think that the precats are running efficiently. Andy has been out of town, i'll leave a msg for you.

You can check if the o2sim has any problems by using a multimeter to test the voltage coming out of the white o2 wire and grounding on the black wire

there is another shop i could recommend in the meantime, I'll need to find the name for you if your interested
Old 06-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Need A Light?

Thanks larry....if you can PM me the shop's address and who to ask for....i'd really appreciate it....
Old 06-07-2005, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio
hmm... odd that they can't diagnose the car based on the o2 simulator. All the simulator does is oscillate a 0-0.6V signal by intercepting the stock o2 wire to ECU fooling the car to think that the precats are running efficiently. Andy has been out of town, i'll leave a msg for you.

You can check if the o2sim has any problems by using a multimeter to test the voltage coming out of the white o2 wire and grounding on the black wire

there is another shop i could recommend in the meantime, I'll need to find the name for you if your interested
Is there a reason for this place to remain unknown? C'mon larry, spill the beans, it may benefit others...
Old 06-07-2005, 01:26 PM
The Definitive AE Master

eh? what are you talking about roy?

I don't know the name of the shop so I offered to go find out if he was interested. I would recommend tony but i'm not sure if he wants to get into this mess
Old 06-07-2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio
eh? what are you talking about roy?

I don't know the name of the shop so I offered to go find out if he was interested. I would recommend tony but i'm not sure if he wants to get into this mess
I was thinking that you had Steven88 pm you for the info, instead of posting it here...

Yeah, Tony's involved with my mess right now... I'm still getting misfire codes and three-way catalyst codes.... we think we've got it narrowed down to 1 of the cylinders though... either the injector or the wiring....

Man do i hate that f'in blinking CEL...
Old 06-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Need A Light?

Roy, your car is still able to run as a daily driver correct? It just has an annoying SES flashing at u everytime? .
Old 06-07-2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by steven88
Roy, your car is still able to run as a daily driver correct? It just has an annoying SES flashing at u everytime? .
I'm still able to drive it. The CEL doesn't blink constantly, only occasionally. When it happens, I ususally throw it into neutral and see if it goes away... if it doesn't I drop it down a gear to get it out of the RPM range that it was in and that usually takes care of it.

It's not the best thing to drive if your CEL is blinking all the time - when it's blinking it means that it's misfiring at that very moment and if yours is bliking constantly, that means that you're misfiring constantly. Driving while misfiring risks burning your valves.

I get P0300 alot (Random Multiple Misfires) and only get the blinking CEL occasionally. I also get P0420 and P0430 - Three Way Catalyst codes
Old 06-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Need A Light?

burning my valves? i never heard that before...not sayin you're wrong...but i usually hear that misfiring will damage your catalytic converter....the motor shouldn't get damaged....thats from what i've seen on the .org and also talkin to that tech Kenny from cerritos nissan....right now I have a budget test pipe....my stock cat is chillen in my garage becuz I don't wanna risk damaging it...emission testing is in another yr or so...don't wanna waste a good cat....
Old 06-07-2005, 03:55 PM

burning my valves? i never heard that before...not sayin you're wrong...but i usually hear that misfiring will damage your catalytic converter....the motor shouldn't get damaged....thats from what i've seen on the .org and also talkin to that tech Kenny from cerritos nissan....right now I have a budget test pipe....my stock cat is chillen in my garage becuz I don't wanna risk damaging it...emission testing is in another yr or so...don't wanna waste a good cat....
If you're running in a lean misfire condition, you can burn your valves because of the elevated temperatures. I don't think you have to worry too much about it when you're running too rich and misfiring (spark blowout) but you do if you're running lean.

"Valve burning can also be caused by any condition that makes the engine run hot or elevates combustion temperatures. This includes cooling problems, abnormal combustion like detonation or preignition, loss of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), retarded ignition timing or lean fuel mixtures."

Of course, I could be wrong...
Old 06-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Need A Light?

Thanks for the heads up Roy....

You know what? I don't know exactly what kind of "misfire" I have anymore....me and 1fstmax believe it's a lean misfire....before we did all this diagnosis, we believed it was a RICH misfire.....the reason we said this was becuz, when I had my cattman muffler and stock cat on there...I was able to shoot gasoline out of my tailpipe if i revved it high enough like 5k...then a few days later I swapped it out for my budget test pipe and stock muffler...oh yeah did coilpacks+spark plugs too....then ever since then...i don't see any gasoline coming out of my tailpipe...

it's real weird...but i can only think of it being related to fuel (lean misfire) cuz we already tried new ignition related things.... another thing to note is, I get bad gas mileage....we are talkin 12mpg highway indicated by the on board computer....i know those things are inaccurate....but i can also notice a huge drop in mileage just by monitering my gauge and the miles i've traveled...this should mean I am running rich? and everything in the fuel system is running okay
Old 06-07-2005, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up Roy....

You know what? I don't know exactly what kind of "misfire" I have anymore....me and 1fstmax believe it's a lean misfire....before we did all this diagnosis, we believed it was a RICH misfire.....the reason we said this was becuz, when I had my cattman muffler and stock cat on there...I was able to shoot gasoline out of my tailpipe if i revved it high enough like 5k...then a few days later I swapped it out for my budget test pipe and stock muffler...oh yeah did coilpacks+spark plugs too....then ever since then...i don't see any gasoline coming out of my tailpipe...

it's real weird...but i can only think of it being related to fuel (lean misfire) cuz we already tried new ignition related things.... another thing to note is, I get bad gas mileage....we are talkin 12mpg highway indicated by the on board computer....i know those things are inaccurate....but i can also notice a huge drop in mileage just by monitering my gauge and the miles i've traveled...this should mean I am running rich? and everything in the fuel system is running okay
Yeah, sounds to me like you're running rich too... if you're running really rich, the exhaust gasses, if you go to the back of the car, may start making your eyes burn...
Old 06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Custom User Title

E-Gas, TB? Is it opening all the way?

2) Drive Plate/Flywheel - the FSM lists this under misfiring...I don't know how this can tie up with misfiring though? what are the chances of me having a jacked up flywheel? Original tranny @ 40k miles
CPS? Did the guys that installed your headers disconnect anything down there?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Need A Light?

Whats the CPS? and yes my e throttle is fine....I can hear it clicking when i shut the car off....and I can move it open and closed if turn the ignition on...I'm able to hear it click
Old 06-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Custom User Title

Crank position sensor.. It reads the teeth on your flywheel.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Need A Light?

oh that thing....I got all 3 sensors replaced under recall....one crankshaft and two camshaft position sensors....except one camshaft position sensor crapped out on me even after the recall...i ran in limp mode (not misfiring, just limp mode) to the parts dept and bought another one and installed it myself....stupid nissan parts i swear...

anyway we didn't touch anything down there....the only wiring we actually messed with is the o2's....everything was mechanical....just a bunch of nuts and bolts....argh!
Old 06-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
Is there a reason for this place to remain unknown? C'mon larry, spill the beans, it may benefit others...
its fuel.. hes only getting 21psi of fp...
Old 06-08-2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
E-Gas, TB? Is it opening all the way?

CPS? Did the guys that installed your headers disconnect anything down there?

they're fine.. we checked them, and the cps has been replaced twice..
Old 06-08-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
Yeah, sounds to me like you're running rich too... if you're running really rich, the exhaust gasses, if you go to the back of the car, may start making your eyes burn...

he's catless.. so i dont think he's running rich... but then again he doesn't have a wideband o2 to verify this..
Old 06-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
duhh thank you captain of the obvious.. no shiet... wtf?
Okay...... Did you not see the part where he asked what the CPS was?

Old 06-08-2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
he's catless.. so i dont think he's running rich... but then again he doesn't have a wideband o2 to verify this..
the cat doesn't have anything to do w/running rich...
Old 06-08-2005, 05:55 PM

He just AIM me not too long ago, hes only got 21psi of fuel pressure before the fuel rail. The fuel pump or intank regulator took a dump.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
He just AIM me not too long ago, hes only got 21psi of fuel pressure before the fuel rail. The fuel pump or intank regulator took a dump.
I wish my situation was this easy to fix... My Defi fuel pressure gauge never deviates from 51-52 lbs...

So unless my gauge is wrong, this thread is worthless to me now... lol....
Old 06-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Need A Light?

Alright guys....I am officially 21psi after doing a few runs here and there (just to see if the needle would move while under load).....which leads me to think my fuel pump is jacked up....I don't see how it could go bad just like that? I dunno....anyway if it isn't my fuel pump...then it has to be my regulator? how much do those run for?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Alright guys....I am officially 21psi after doing a few runs here and there (just to see if the needle would move while under load).....which leads me to think my fuel pump is jacked up....I don't see how it could go bad just like that? I dunno....anyway if it isn't my fuel pump...then it has to be my regulator? how much do those run for?
Try changing out the fuel filter.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:38 PM

problem fixed.. improper fuel filter installation.. drew redid whatever he did when he installed his fuel filter, and now the car is running perfectly..

Quick Reply: misfiring help! e55amg2, blackbird?