5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Driving a Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Driving a Manual

Ok this post is like asking for directions. The last manual I had was a Toyota 4x4. It was my first new truck and I loved it to death. It was slow as hell but it was great off road in the Arizona desert and in the mountain snows. I live in NY now so those days are over. Enough of that....I've owned several Maximas but never a manual. I'm not sure how I should be letting off the clutch and how much gas to give it in the first 3 gears. Right now I let the clutch out easy and give it a little gas at the same time from a stop to 1st. I then rev it to about 5k RPM's and shift into 2nd. This is where I get confused on how to get it into second. My shifitng is not that smooth and I know it will get better with time but I thought some pointers wouldn't hurt. My new 02 Max is a rocket in 2nd gear it seems to be the sweet spot for power. Also what do you guys rev to before shifting? Is 5k alright for everyday driving? I also think the gears box is a tad notchy but not bad at all. I'm putting in Red Line so I'll see if that smooths things out a bit.

Thanks in advance. Love this site.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:08 PM
It's business time.

I don't really know what to tell you other than the Maxima, at least mine, by nature isn't very smooth. Especially in first gear I also buck it to hell. Your question about everyday driving is pretty much how much gas you want to conserve and how large you want the smile on your face to be. You can take revs up to 5k but it certainly isn't necessary for daily driving. I can get around just fine under 4k. The shifter always feels a little notchy, although you have the 6er. I have Amsoil in my gearbox, BTW.

GL
Old 05-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Personally, I don't like to take my car over 4k in any gear. It saves gas! What I do is I will shift into the next gear if I am cruising over 3.5k or when I reach 4k. Like if I am driving on the street and my car is at a steady 3.5k, I shift into my next gear or sometimes sooner (depends what gear I'm in). Try not to always have your foot on the clutch because it is bad for it. Hope this helps!

edit:
1st is a nasty gear to drive in, I shift to 2nd ASAP. Also, I drive in a lot stop and go traffic (got to love the 60 in riverside), so driving 'smoothly' in 1st and 2nd is damn near an art.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:16 PM
retired moderator

no need to "rev" before shifting. The application of power (giving it gas) and letting off of the clutch pedal should be simultaneous and proportional to each other. The maxima clutch has a long travel, but when upshifting to the next gear, you simultaneously let off the gas and press the clutch in to the point in which you can shift (not all the way to the floor).

When you press the clutch in, your rpms should not rise - since you are not pressing the gas pedal at the same time.

Again, there is no need to "rev" to a higher rpm when letting off the clutch. The maxima actually has so much torque that you can start from a stop without giving it ANY gas....just put it in first and slowly let off the clutch!! Generally, though, it's a good idea to press the accelerator enough to prevent a stall until the clutch is fully released, and THEN "give it more gas"

One suggestion you might try (what I did before I had a driver's license) is just sit in the car with it off and practice timing the accelerator and the clutch pedals until it becomes "natural".

Other than that, can't think of any other tricks...
Old 05-26-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
no need to "rev" before shifting. The application of power (giving it gas) and letting off of the clutch pedal should be simultaneous and proportional to each other. The maxima clutch has a long travel, but when upshifting to the next gear, you simultaneously let off the gas and press the clutch in to the point in which you can shift (not all the way to the floor).

When you press the clutch in, your rpms should not rise - since you are not pressing the gas pedal at the same time.

Again, there is no need to "rev" to a higher rpm when letting off the clutch. The maxima actually has so much torque that you can start from a stop without giving it ANY gas....just put it in first and slowly let off the clutch!! Generally, though, it's a good idea to press the accelerator enough to prevent a stall until the clutch is fully released, and THEN "give it more gas"

One suggestion you might try (what I did before I had a driver's license) is just sit in the car with it off and practice timing the accelerator and the clutch pedals until it becomes "natural".

Other than that, can't think of any other tricks...
Good tips!
I was beginning to think I was the only one with newb manual driving skills. I've only had my 6-speed for a couple of months and still haven't mastered it. I guess I was so use to the butter smooth shifts of my ex's Integra GSR and friends RSX Type-S. When I watch him shift it's so effortless and smooth, almost like he's driving an automatic. There's no bucking at all.

In college I had a manual 88 300ZX and that was easy to drive too. I don't recall having the same difficulty as my Max. I know the Max has crazy amounts of torque to the front wheels so it's easy to get them to slip, especially on rainy days. Yesterday I spun my wheels all the way through third gear (on purpose).

Engaging 1st from a stop is always troublesome cause I give it a tad too much gas. The pedal is very sensitive and revs the engine with ease. The 1-2 shift is sometimes jerky, but can be finessed done right. All the other gears shifts are ok.

Irish, you mentioned not pushing the clutch all the way to the floor when shifting, can you elaborate on this? I was always taught that you had to press the clutch all the way down for a couple of reasons (1) engages the gear better (2) better for your clutch in the long run in terms of wear.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:38 PM

Mang you did a better job expressing the same issues I'm having with my Max. With my 99 auto I never felt torque steer but with the 02 the extra hp and torque can make you want to hold on tight to the wheel when your pushing the car. I thought with the limited slip I wouldn't have any torque steer at all. Not a big deal.

I'm wondering if it's better to pop the clutch from 1st to 2nd or just release it nice and easy? What is better for the clutch? I haven't driven my car much because it's not registered yet so I still need to log my learning hours. It seems first gear whines out quickly and the car doesn't really get up and going until 2nd gear and then the car takes off crazy fast. In 3rd gear the car has nice steady get up and go but not like 2nd gear. Big samile factor for 2nd gear!! The gear ratio is lower on the manual vs. the auto but I wonder if I would have liked the smooth shifting of the auto better. My gut says no. I believe the manual (stock) is about 1 sec. faster in the 1/4 mile too if my memory serves me right. I'm also curious on how many miles you can get on our clutches if you drive like a normal person and an occassional mad man like myself. I have 54k and am concerned about long trips. It's no fun when a clutch goes out in kalamazoo.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Fortuna Favet Fortibus

Come on man!!!! lol...Ease that baby into first gently and progresively (and aggressively) push the gas once your clutch engages, run the tach to 6.3, fast clutch in, put in 2nd and let clutch start to engage before progressively pushing back down on the right pedal...rinse and repeat. Your VIAS kicks in at 5 ish with a kick under WOT. I had mine a couple months before I figured out how to get that late RPM push from it. You are right that thing is a rocket. The thing feels notchy, takes some getting used too, then you won't even notice it.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by MadMaxNH
Come on man!!!! lol...Ease that baby into first gently and progresively (and aggressively) push the gas once your clutch engages, run the tach to 6.3, fast clutch in, put in 2nd and let clutch start to engage before progressively pushing back down on the right pedal...rinse and repeat. Your VIAS kicks in at 5 ish with a kick under WOT. I had mine a couple months before I figured out how to get that late RPM push from it. You are right that thing is a rocket. The thing feels notchy, takes some getting used too, then you won't even notice it.
That's nice to do on an empty stretch of road. Try that during rush hour. I do the 1-2 shift for about 6 miles before I can shift to 3rd and cruise.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Fortuna Favet Fortibus

Originally Posted by Mang
That's nice to do on an empty stretch of road. Try that during rush hour. I do the 1-2 shift for about 6 miles before I can shift to 3rd and cruise.

Got to get away from NY. I get testy if I am behind someone doing the speed limit for more than a mile. I have had some experiences in NY driving home from NC.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:50 PM

i also hate the feel of the 6 spd. i think its way too notchy. i had an accord, integra, civic, sunfire, protege and 3rd gen max all standard (not to mention all my friends standard cars that i drove) and all of them were easier to drive than my 6spd. i rarely ever put my car to 4-5000rpm tho. daily driving i usually shift at 3000rpm. it's a lot easier to have smooth shifts when keeping it at low rpms and it saves on gas.

starting off i start to let off the clutch before i push the gas. i wont let it rev higher than 1200rpm. i give it just a bit of gas going into second and no gas shifting into any of the other gears. but htis is when im driving slow.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:02 AM

Shift At 3k Unless Your Trying To Merg Then Let Er Rip To Redline Then Shift.works For Me
Old 05-27-2005, 05:30 AM
Sports Button FTW

is there any disadvantage shifting too low? I normally shift at 2k rpm (except first gear which is around 2500 rpm). I normally see myself cruising in 3rd gear around 1800 rpm or so. Just curious if the car is working harder because of too low of an rpm if it wastes more gas than shifting at the 3k i used to always do with my 4th gen?
Old 05-27-2005, 06:06 AM

i usually don't get up pas 2500 rpm when shifting from 1st to 2nd. car kicks much less this way. but every other gear is much smoother at every rpm range during upshifting.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by meccanoble
is there any disadvantage shifting too low? I normally shift at 2k rpm (except first gear which is around 2500 rpm). I normally see myself cruising in 3rd gear around 1800 rpm or so. Just curious if the car is working harder because of too low of an rpm if it wastes more gas than shifting at the 3k i used to always do with my 4th gen?
depends on what gear you are in. Because the Maxima is so torquey and forgiving, you can drive at low rpms in tall gears. I like to cruise at 2000rpm, but never below 1500rpm. I take it that optimal rpms for our cars in everyday cruising/fuel saving mode is 1800-2500rpm.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:31 AM

Never really paid that much attention to rpms. In fact, I'm not even sure the old Toyota I learned on even had a tach. For normal daily driving, I was always taught to shift at 15mph and then every 10mph from there on. So I'd be in 1st until 15mph, 2nd until 25, 3rd until 35, etc... After a while, I didn't even pay attention to that. Just "shift by ear" as the oldtimers would say.

Just curious. For you guys bucking away in heavy traffic. Do you ever just start/leave it in 2nd or does the engine lug?
Old 05-27-2005, 07:02 AM

i start from second half the time; just rev up the engine to about 2000 rpm before easing out the clutch.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:39 AM

i used to shift very low, usually about 2k, but recently ive been doing it at 3k and i have noticed no difference in mileage and the car runs much smoother at a lil higher rpm
Old 05-27-2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
i start from second half the time; just rev up the engine to about 2000 rpm before easing out the clutch.
I've only done this when I'm on a hill facing down or if I'm coasting at less than 5mph. Never tried it from a complete stop when I'm in traffic. Will it really work and is it ok for the clutch?

You guys keep giving me new driving habits to go out and try...today has been test day!
Old 05-27-2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mang
I've only done this when I'm on a hill facing down or if I'm coasting at less than 5mph. Never tried it from a complete stop when I'm in traffic. Will it really work and is it ok for the clutch?

You guys keep giving me new driving habits to go out and try...today has been test day!
i think that would cause some premature wear on the clutch....
the only thing i have trouble with driving my 6-speed is 1st gear in traffic....i cant fully engage it most of the time, and if i do, no matter how slow and sensitive i touch the throttle, the thing bucks back and forth like a bull...
Old 05-27-2005, 12:51 PM

its harder on the clutch, but on the highway when you are not stopped "completely" in traffic, i usually start out in second. i think our cars have enough torque not to muff up the engine when starting out in second gear.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
its harder on the clutch, but on the highway when you are not stopped "completely" in traffic, i usually start out in second. i think our cars have enough torque not to muff up the engine when starting out in second gear.
i always do this at a roll, but when i'm completely stopped, i try to avoid starting in 2nd...the only time i do it from a stop is in the rain, because of my stupid craptenzas...
Old 05-27-2005, 01:49 PM

if you shift at lower rpm's you'll have smoother shifting as long as you don't let the clutch out too quick. I usually shift between 2k-2500 and those shifts are smooth. Also, it saves me some gas
Old 05-27-2005, 02:19 PM

1st The solution to your problem is just practice, practice, practice.

2nd when shifting gears there is no need to rev up either when shifting out of a gear or prior to shifting into a gear.

3rd Starting from a dead stop in 2nd isn't a problem once you have mastered the task of doing it smoothly otherwise you will burn out the clutch. Just don't do it going up a hill.

4th Get on the thruway (87N) and go north 100 miles or so into the country and you will find lots of wonderful roads to ride on. (after working in NYC for 6 years we left & went up to Woodstock for 15 years)

I tought both of my kids how to drive a stick on my 91SE and the orig clutch held up for over 150K miles.

Good luck to you.

Peabody (been driving stick for more years than you been alive )
Old 05-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Fortuna Favet Fortibus

Drive that thing like it wants to be driven. Being normal and accelerating I usually shift at 3000 to 4000. But it does like to be ran to the low to mid 5s. I only get up to the 6 6.5 range really getting on it or at the track. MY buddy has a 4th gen and I drive like a little old lady compared to him. I could tell you stories about what he has done to that poor car. It has taken every last bit of it. Plus 5 cross country NH to CA trips in a year. The motors and components are fairly good.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:19 PM

Having learned to drive mamual on my 6 speed, the only time i have problems now (after a few months) is when i try to rev match with the tach as opposed to drive by ear/instinct. The minute I start watching the Tach im all over the place.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:40 PM

just drive your car like you stole it... but for advice, you could start from 2nd gear at a complete stop, just practice leveling the clutch and the gas, i always start from 2nd gear, sometimes 1st but usually 2nd... now when you start shifting gears, what i found out to be the best and smoothest way is to let the clutch out at a steady pace then when you're almost off the clutch step on the gas softly, that should help you shift more smoothly, another way is to just learn where the clutch friction point is so as you're in the friction zone, you can step on the gas pedal softly, that should smoothe out the shift
Old 05-27-2005, 07:08 PM

I was playing today. Don't tell my wife because the car still isn't registered but I can't resist taking a ride on the rocket. Anyway, I was able to shift very smoothly from 1st to 2nd. Before this the car bucked. I simply let off the clutch and gave it gas as the clutch was engaging. It's all feel. I guess once I start driving it daily it will be second nature to me.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:30 PM

Manual Technique

I have a trick to get over the bucking in first gear:

From a stop:
Give the accel pedal a gentle push while clutch is in, bringing the RPM's up to about 700-900. It brings the RPM's up and gives the engine more to catch before you get close to a stall. While the engine is climbing from the first push on the gas smootly let out the clutch and stop half way. The clutch should slightly engage and you'll feel the torque catch and the RPM's begin to drop, now give a second gentle tap on the accel pedal while still gently letting out the clutch. Then start giving more gas dependant on the situation. Once you get it down, you'll transfer the car from stop to go with no bucking at all... it's smooth as silk once you get it down, with a very slight double rev at the begining.

I tried going from (stopped) idle speed to engaging the clutch immediatly at a stop light and no matter how many times I try it, there are times when I would almost stall the car out becuase I would
-Let out the clutch too much and bring the car's RPM's too low and have too give too much gas to compensate...
Or even give too much gas too soon causing the engine to over rev and wind up trying to engage a smooth clutch at 3k RPM...

By giving a little gas before I engage the clutch in 1st I've found that I increase the rate of a better and more powerful start, less likely to stall pulling out into traffic, and less over rev. Because it's a single gentle tap then another after the clutch has slightly engaged. The car just seems to roll gently into a start, instead of bucking.

Also, if you want to practice a comfy ride trying rev matching from 2nd to 1st in a parking lot. It worked for me. You'll have to ride the clutch a little to get a silky ride but it's worth it. The trick is to try and downshift so there's 2.5 - 3.3k RPM left in 1st gear so that if you don't shift smooth the car will let you know. After bucking a few times you should get a feel for your clutch and will be able to shift up or down with a nice smooth feel to it.

Lastly: Does anyone use all 3 pedals? I have a slight stalling prob. Where if it goes from 3rd to N, or I stop fast it will just stall out. The RPM just don't recover past idle (500 RPM for me). So I use all 3 pedals. I use the left foot for clutch, and the Ball of my right foot over both gas and break to push them in increments...
Didn't know if anyone does this...

Anyway, that's my first post hope it helps you guys and hello Maxima Forum!!... oh and:

2001 Maxima SE Sunlit Sand
80K miles.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:54 PM

what i found smooth when shifting is after knowing the basic manual shifts, focus on your accel pedal and you'll notice that you kind of completely take your foot off the pedal when shifting gears. instead of this, since there is some play in the accel pedal, you don't go completely off the gas but just enough so it doesn't respond (rev). so basically, release the gas just enough so that you aren't completely off the pedal but at the same time you aren't reving when you apply the clutch, this works for me to get a smooth shift for all gears.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:28 AM

My car is still not registered but I'm getting some great shifts. The secret is to give the car the right amount of gas when shifting.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by traderfjp
I'm also curious on how many miles you can get on our clutches if you drive like a normal person and an occassional mad man like myself. I have 54k and am concerned about long trips. It's no fun when a clutch goes out in kalamazoo.
I replaced my clutch in a 97SE about 6 months ago with 154k on her (may she RIP)... I dont think you have much to worry about just yet.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:42 AM

since reading this thread the first time, i have gotten better at 1st to 2nd shift. its just practice. i do agree that it's all about the gas pedal, i keep the gas pedal depressed "just a little bit" while slowly letting the clutch out, and its gotten much smoother. practice, practice, practice.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:50 PM

I'd like to be able to drive like this: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=396439
Old 06-01-2005, 06:55 PM
ILLJIM69

Originally Posted by Progress
I don't really know what to tell you other than the Maxima, at least mine, by nature isn't very smooth. Especially in first gear I also buck it to hell. Your question about everyday driving is pretty much how much gas you want to conserve and how large you want the smile on your face to be. You can take revs up to 5k but it certainly isn't necessary for daily driving. I can get around just fine under 4k. The shifter always feels a little notchy, although you have the 6er. I have Amsoil in my gearbox, BTW.

GL

the max isnt smooth? mine is smooth as silk, in any gear. no offense, maybe some more practice driving stick is in order! seriously though.....hows that amisol work for ya? i wanna get my tranny flushed and fluid replaced and want something good.

jim

Old 06-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by ILLJIM69
the max isnt smooth? mine is smooth as silk, in any gear. no offense, maybe some more practice driving stick is in order! seriously though.....hows that amisol work for ya? i wanna get my tranny flushed and fluid replaced and want something good.

jim
I totally agree. I can drive mine so smoothly that you don't feel gear shifts and never buckles, even in 1st. For 1st gear, the secret is to press or depress the accelerater slowly and smoothly. Heck, I can start out in 5th gear from a dead stop without giving it gas and it will accelerate and not have it stall.

One thing that will make the shifts a lot smoother is if you rev match, both when you downshift and upshift. It will also keep the wear on the synchros to a minimum.