5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I hate my door....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 03:31 PM

I hate my door....

As some of you might remember, I tried to get some help squeezed out of the forum about my front drivers side door making noise. Well, Ive tried everything and I cant seem to find the problem. Ill explain again for those who might not know whats going on....

My door is somehow "loose". I dont know for sure its loose, it just sounds that way. When I accelerate from a stop or brake, my whole door makes a popping noise, like metal releasing pent up energy. No matter what I do, it keeps on doing it. I checked to see if it was the hinges (by lifting up on the door while open), but it didnt seem to be loose in the slightest.

Any ideas guys? This is killing me!
Old 06-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Rob01ski

Can you post pics of your door, like the hinges and junk, hey take of the cover on the door see if anything is loose in there, like window motor, window lift device-the thing the glass sits on, see of your glass is loose or not, check your handle it could be loose, check to see if your speaker is not loose could be the speaker magnet hitting the door, basically check inside the door, maybe you got a dead squirl in their or something, yo take a look at the car from a bunch of different angels maybe you have a den.

Just my .02 centas

Oh yeah and im glad to be unbanned wooo hooooooo

Old 06-06-2005, 03:43 PM

Its not a rattle at all, it just sounds like creeking metal. And I do know that my window is loose, cause it moves when its rolled down and the car is moving. I really doubt its the glass though...
Old 06-06-2005, 03:45 PM
TwoToneMax

You may also want to look at the door check, the strap type thing that holds the door from opening past the hinges it may be a plastic arm. Hope that helps.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by TwoToneMax
You may also want to look at the door check, the strap type thing that holds the door from opening past the hinges it may be a plastic arm. Hope that helps.

...im pretty sure its metal....
Old 06-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are you sure there are any objects ( penny, screw...) inside the door and is just moving back and forward inside.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:38 PM

have you ever had your window motor replaced? it's entirely possible that the person who did it could have left something like a wrench inside your door panel...just take a look underneath it and check for any loose items, because it doesn't sound like the hinges....also when the door is closed, see if there is any play with it, because it could be the latch that's loose, and not the hinge...
Old 06-06-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jaws
The squeak is from the rubber moulding on the A pillar between the door and windshield. I knocked myself trying to find the cause of the noise and finally isolated it to the rubber moulding.
he's talking about whenever he's driving and the door is closed he can hear something 'moving' or banging inside the door when stepping on the brake...i have that squeak as well, and i even had the drip strip (that's the 'technical' name for it) replaced...i just have to lube it every now and then to keep it from squeaking...a total PITA IMO...

EDIT:....umm....what happened to that post? haha!
Old 06-06-2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Arek
Are you sure there are any objects ( penny, screw...) inside the door and is just moving back and forward inside.

There is nothing inside my door. Ive removed it and checked. Trust me, its nothing in my door that doesnt belong there. Its definately part of the door.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
he's talking about whenever he's driving and the door is closed he can hear something 'moving' or banging inside the door when stepping on the brake...i have that squeak as well, and i even had the drip strip (that's the 'technical' name for it) replaced...i just have to lube it every now and then to keep it from squeaking...a total PITA IMO...

EDIT:....umm....what happened to that post? haha!

odd that that post just dissappeared....

anyway, i wouldnt call it a squeek. Its a popping or a squelching noise. Take two pieces of metal and press them together really hard and then move one across the other. Thats the sound. Its very brief, but repetitive.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Rob01ski

First off you sure its the door? Also check if you mirrors loose or see if the hinge has alot of play, have someone with a maxima come over, see if hes got it. If he doesnt check how much play the door has? Could be the lower hinge check if its seated correctly?

Old 06-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

listen, it is definately the hinges. Had this problem on my 91, 95, and starting on the 2001. The $15 bucks per hinge is worth it. Ithink that's how much I've paid. It's totaly DYI in about 30-45 minutes. Need 2 people preferably. Good luck
Old 06-07-2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by xgrishkax
listen, it is definately the hinges. Had this problem on my 91, 95, and starting on the 2001. The $15 bucks per hinge is worth it. Ithink that's how much I've paid. It's totaly DYI in about 30-45 minutes. Need 2 people preferably. Good luck

I already checked the hinges, but maybe im not checking them right. Is there a standardized way to test them?

...just as a side note, if youve had all these Maxima's, why are you a newbie???
Old 06-07-2005, 09:53 PM

did you adjust the u looking thing on the body of the car?...sorry dont know what its called. that fixed my problem...adjust it up or down a little bit and see if it helps
Old 06-08-2005, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lytheum
did you adjust the u looking thing on the body of the car?...sorry dont know what its called. that fixed my problem...adjust it up or down a little bit and see if it helps

I have no idea what youre talking about, but I wish I did, so I can try it. Can you offer any clarification or show me a picture/diagram?

thanks for your help too!
Old 06-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the exact same problem. It went on for about a year and went away as quickly as it came. It seemed to happen most while on an incline turning left or right for me. I doubt it was my suspension, distinct noise from within the cabin. Wish I could help.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:04 PM
TwoToneMax

I think he's refering to the door catch where the the door lock closes onto the post. where the lock holds onto it's gold in color i think

Old 06-08-2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by TwoToneMax
I think he's refering to the door catch where the the door lock closes onto the post. where the lock holds onto it's gold in color i think
that's what i was thinking it was too...at the beginning of this thread somewhere i told him to check the 'latch' rather than the hinge' meaning that little 'U' piece that allows the door to stay shut until you release it using a handle...maybe that piece is just a bit loose?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
that's what i was thinking it was too...at the beginning of this thread somewhere i told him to check the 'latch' rather than the hinge' meaning that little 'U' piece that allows the door to stay shut until you release it using a handle...maybe that piece is just a bit loose?
ya...thats it. mine wasnt loose, but maybe it moved over time. if you loosen the screws you can move it slightly up or down. the noise used to drive me crazy and now its totally gone even after like 2 months.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:33 PM

ya...thats it. mine wasnt loose, but maybe it moved over time. if you loosen the screws you can move it slightly up or down. the noise used to drive me crazy and now its totally gone even after like 2 months.

...never thought to check that. Thanks, Ill try it after work!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:55 PM

did it work?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:57 PM

nope. I guess ill just have to take it apart and rebuild it. any more ideas?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:52 AM

Drive with the door open (wear seatbelt) and see if you get the same noise. you may be able to isolate or exempt the latching mechanism. Also, try wedging something in between the door and the window to keep it firm and try to isolate that. Did you buy the car new? If not, are your sure that it was not in a side collision by a previous owner. Good luck...
Old 06-16-2005, 07:53 AM

try to put some dynomat inside the door....
Old 06-16-2005, 10:33 AM

I bought the car new. No side collisions. It might be the window. I do know for a fact that it is loose. I just know this is going to be a nightmare to try to fix, but I guess ill have to get over that....

.....and I wouldnt use Dynamat in my car even if I was PAID to do so.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:40 AM

hmmm, you should take your door off and drive in a lot? garage lot.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by OOmaxSE
hmmm, you should take your door off and drive in a lot? garage lot.

.....huh???
Old 06-16-2005, 01:52 PM

i think he means...

take your door off, and drive around a parking lot to see if you still hear the noise, maybe it's not the door.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

dude, it's the hinges. spend the $ 30 and do it. I had the same problem. It realy seems to not have a problem when you lift up/down. Does it make popping/cracking noise when stopping and turning?. When you drive on the highway just going straight does the sound happen? I know it's annoying, but for $30 a pair and 45 minutes time with afriend it's a well worth fix.

BTW I'm a newbie because I never posted or became one, but now well why not.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Rob01ski

So did you ever get this fixed?

Old 06-21-2005, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rob01ski
So did you ever get this fixed?

See posts 21 and 22. .....Im still there. Nothing seems to work, short of replacing the hinges. Guess ill just try that.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:39 PM

Whats up with doors on Maximas?

My passenger side front door opens like there is a gremlin holding it from the inside and makes it hard to push / pull.

(I need to get that guy outta there some day.)
Old 06-21-2005, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by MatMax
Whats up with doors on Maximas?

My passenger side front door opens like there is a gremlin holding it from the inside and makes it hard to push / pull.

(I need to get that guy outta there some day.)
i have a different gripe with my door....it squeaks pretty loud whenever i open it, because the drip strip sticks to it...i've had it replaced once already and it helped for a while, but came back real quick....i have to lube it every time i wash my car..total PITA...