5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Since when is it illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust on your car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Oh hi....

Originally Posted by max929
Just so every one understands, Nothing is "illegal." (I say this with-in-reason, Killing someone is illegal, so don't start that BS) The first thing they teach you in law school is the law is elastic; In other words, it stretches. In my case, Do to "Medical reasons" I have tinted windows all the way around that are at 15% and it's perfectly legal. Anything that a person writes (i.e. Laws) is imperfect; you just need to read the fine print. There are loopholes every where, Take it from a future lawyer.
With "future lawyers" like you coming through the machine, no wonder the nation is going to ****. I take it that your "medical reasons" don't really exist. Isn't that a bit fraudulent? Oh wait you are becoming a lawyer....
Old 06-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just so every one understands, Nothing is "illegal." (I say this with-in-reason, Killing someone is illegal, so don't start that BS) The first thing they teach you in law school is the law is elastic; In other words, it stretches. In my case, Do to "Medical reasons" I have tinted windows all the way around that are at 15% and it's perfectly legal. Anything that a person writes (i.e. Laws) is imperfect; you just need to read the fine print. There are loopholes every where, Take it from a future lawyer.

what is the medical reason for a loud exhaust?

BTW, In New York... a non-oem or oem spec exhaust IS NOT illegal. as long as you dont bypass emmisions standards and it is within the decible range, you are fine....

and I guess you are correct, "nothing is illegal".... as long as you dont get cought
Old 06-08-2005, 04:12 PM

This is honestly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I had no idea you could get a ticket for an aftermarket exhaust...That law makes absolutely no sense. There are cars with stock exhausts that are louder than any aftermarket exhausts. What about that? How can anyone (especially a cop who doesn't know what he's talking about) differentiate. I know for a fact that an FX45's exhaust is louder, or just as loud as my Cattman. So just because mines is aftermarket, I should get a ticket? Makes no sense to me...
Old 06-08-2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Wouldn't it be "DUE" to "medical reasons" ... Mr Future lawyer .... Hey, I'm only kidding so don't get too butt torn and sue me ..

And about killing someone, what about self defense .... Sorry I'm bored.
That would be Self defense or man slaughter, depending on the circumstances. Killing as in Murder: The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice. As far as a Medical reason for a loud exhaust, how about for stress reduction. The humming calms you. Who knows until you try. All you really need is a doctor with an imagination.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by SeaFoam2DMax
With "future lawyers" like you coming through the machine, no wonder the nation is going to ****. I take it that your "medical reasons" don't really exist. Isn't that a bit fraudulent? Oh wait you are becoming a lawyer....

Just for the record, My medical reasons are valid. I have a Stigmatism, which creates a heightened sensitivity to light.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

All you really need is a doctor with an imagination.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Oh hi....

All you really need is a doctor with a lack of ethics.
There ya go, all fixed.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:09 PM
dot dot dot ...

Doctors and lawyers make too much $$$ and shoudln't drive Maximas because they can afford Bentlys. N

Nice fix seafoam
Old 06-08-2005, 06:21 PM

I'm glad I live in Qc, we dont have that crap overhere, no emission to pass and if you drive like a civilized man the cops wont bug you. I've drove my car with a PowerTech muffler for more than 2 years without any problems with the popo. The noise was insane to some point, but I was carefull when I encountered the popo. The police overhere will bug you if you car is insanely modified like 2'' of clearance and lot's of bling bling but otherwise they dont bug you for that.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:21 PM

Just for the record, My medical reasons are valid. I have a Stigmatism, which creates a heightened sensitivity to light.

Your astigmantism alone does not give you a sensativity to light.... I run an optical lab and work closely with my doctors. An astigmantism is just an irregular shaped cornea, instead of your eye looking like a baseball (circular) it is shaped more like a football ( not quite that extreme but you get the point).

that is not a good enough reason for dark tinted windows. you could easily get dark tinted sunglasses. Have you tried polarization? fantstic lens. Nothing comes close to a Plz lens with a double gradient mirror and an AR back side coating

BTW just saying that you have an astigmatism is pretty broad.... I do as well it is .25 diopters (very slight) I dont even want to hear you compain about having an astigmatism untill you have an 8cyl or more.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Looking for a few good Maximas

Originally Posted by crispykid717
Not a true statement. Harley guys swap out their pipes to A/M pipes which are much louder than the stockers. Have you ever heard a stock Harley? It is not nearly as loud as a Harley with A/M pipes. And that sound is music to my ears.
A/M pipes are aftermarket. Harley DOES have a trademark (I was mistaken in calling it a patent). Read on:

"Not a patent a trademark. Harley aficionados, and of course the company itself, see it differently. To them the Harley sound, said to resemble "potato-potato-potato," is as distinctive as the Energizer bunny. When Japanese motorcycle makers began horning in on the Milwaukee company's hog market with their own heavy-duty bikes in the 1980s, Harley felt they were trying to duplicate the rumble of the V-Twin engine, which buyers supposedly seek out. Maybe, though if you ask me they mostly want something loud enough to scare the crap out of guys in Honda Civics."
Old 06-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Oh hi....

Originally Posted by Army of Maxima
A/M pipes are aftermarket. Harley DOES have a trademark (I was mistaken in calling it a patent). Read on:

"Not a patent a trademark. Harley aficionados, and of course the company itself, see it differently. To them the Harley sound, said to resemble "potato-potato-potato," is as distinctive as the Energizer bunny. When Japanese motorcycle makers began horning in on the Milwaukee company's hog market with their own heavy-duty bikes in the 1980s, Harley felt they were trying to duplicate the rumble of the V-Twin engine, which buyers supposedly seek out. Maybe, though if you ask me they mostly want something loud enough to scare the crap out of guys in Honda Civics."
As a former resident of Daytona Beach, I hate Harley Davidson and every other motorcyle ever created. Loudest, most obnoxious sound evAr!!!111one
Old 06-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Looking for a few good Maximas

All you really need is a doctor with an imagination.
So true.

Every morning I go out to formation waiting for another soldier to come up and say "I need to go to sick call". They go to the clinic and say "owwweee" and they get a profile for no physical fitness for 7 days and a jar of motrin.

Don't even get me started on lawyers... oh, and I can comment. My sister is one and my mom has worked for them for 25 years.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Army of Maxima
Don't even get me started on lawyers... oh, and I can comment. My sister is one and my mom has worked for them for 25 years.
I hope not to be that guy. I would love to become a prosecutor but there’s a lot of politics involved in that (becoming a head prosecutor of a township) I’m told. One thing is for sure, if I ever did become a prosecutor I would laugh in the face of a cop who would put that ticket (after market exhaust) in front of me.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:57 PM

wtf is with deleting my post??? anyone?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Your astigmantism alone does not give you a sensativity to light.... I run an optical lab and work closely with my doctors. An astigmantism is just an irregular shaped cornea, instead of your eye looking like a baseball (circular) it is shaped more like a football ( not quite that extreme but you get the point).

that is not a good enough reason for dark tinted windows. you could easily get dark tinted sunglasses. Have you tried polarization? fantstic lens. Nothing comes close to a Plz lens with a double gradient mirror and an AR back side coating

BTW just saying that you have an astigmatism is pretty broad.... I do as well it is .25 diopters (very slight) I dont even want to hear you compain about having an astigmatism untill you have an 8cyl or more.
upstatemax, I am clinically diagnosed with keratoconus of both eyes, I just refer to it as a stigmatism for simplicity sake. I'm not exactly sure what my light refraction is, but it's up there. Damn, I'm really whoring on this thread
Old 06-08-2005, 07:31 PM

This is absurd. If any aftermarket exhaust systems should be forcefully removed by the law, they should be the lawnmower-sounding ones on the Civics and Neons.

How much would you like to bet that the big V8 on that cop's Crown Vic has a louder exhaust note (and louder engine itself) than your Maxima? If you passed emissions with your aftermarket exhaust, and it's still quieter than many stock exhausts out there, then why should you be forced to pay a fine? This whole aftermarket parts being illegal thing has to be more subjective than it currently seems to be.

Next thing you know, you're going to be getting a ticket for having your HVAC controls on the ceiling rather than in the dash.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm NOT one of those guys that just goes around shouting "F*ck cops, cops blow, etc." I understand and respect that they have a job to do: Keep the people safe. Unfortunately, the parameters within which they must stay to enforce laws seem to be too loose. Unfortunately, many cops ARE corrupt, and they do give out tickets ONLY to "bust your *****". Unfortunately, the corrupt officers out there force some law-abiding citizens to second-guess the actions of all police.

Every institution has their good and bad sides. You getting a ticket for that exhaust really brings out the bad side of the law. Be it the cop for giving you an unnecessarily hard time, or the legislation that claims you can't have an aftgermarket exhaust (EVEN THOUGH IT WILL PASS EMISSIONS STANDARDS!).

I don't even know what to say anymore, this is completely ridiculous...
Old 06-08-2005, 07:41 PM

Yeah im in the same boat here i just got my second ticket in 3 months the other night. luckily the first on i fought and got taken away but i really dont think i will so lucky this time... but honestly its really worth fighting it they will most likely reduce the fine if they dont take it away completely. a friend of mine her cousin is a cop and i was talking to him and he told me no matter what always fight the ticket the judge or whatever it is will 90% of the time atleast reduce the fine.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:47 PM

(wah wah wah...)

everyone knows there is a huge discrimination among the police officers towards modders. True the american muscle get by with it easier than us and not saying muscleheads dont do it, but those ricers burning out and cutting through lanes at a whopping 75mph in a 40 doesn't help either. I would just save the trouble of going to court and pay it off, get on with your life. If you are a stickler about proving them wrong then it's your time and money, but as for me, smile and nod at the officer, fess up, take the ticket, and go on your way....it could have been worse.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by claudiusmaximas
(wah wah wah...)

everyone knows there is a huge discrimination among the police officers towards modders. True the american muscle get by with it easier than us and not saying muscleheads dont do it, but those ricers burning out and cutting through lanes at a whopping 75mph in a 40 doesn't help either. I would just save the trouble of going to court and pay it off, get on with your life. If you are a stickler about proving them wrong then it's your time and money, but as for me, smile and nod at the officer, fess up, take the ticket, and go on your way....it could have been worse.
very well said....it is your personal responsibility to accept the consequences when you mod your car....i'm pretty sure the 'stress reduction' excuse wouldn't work in the courts, or even the real world....it's just like speeding: you're doing something wrong, and you 'should' pay the consequences if and when you get caught..
Old 06-08-2005, 09:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

How does a 19 yr old get an M45 ??? skierxx556? OT I know .. but still curious ..
Old 06-09-2005, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
How does a 19 yr old get an M45 ??? skierxx556? OT I know .. but still curious ..
Good eye... I wish I had an M45.. I am having a hard time just paying the bills for my max..

but back on topic, my car does not have punched out cats, or anything to that nature. just the y pipe, b-pipe, and exhaust.

I have no problem with officers, they have a job to do just like i do. BUT i bend the rules every day for people. I failed my tint law by only 2%. 2%!!! i mean come on now, give me a break! and you know i feel about the exhaust. but when it all comes down to it, I really dont care. I understand that when i mod my car that certian factors will not change... we all know what these factors are. things will never change, but i was just not aware an exhaust system was illegal.

does anyone have a site when i can look up the laws for my state for this kind of stuff? maybe the soon to be lawyer?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:01 AM

When he said this I was gettin my hopes all up thinkin I can tint my windows here... but I guess not
Old 06-09-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by silvermax2k2
does anyone have a site when i can look up the laws for my state for this kind of stuff? maybe the soon to be lawyer?

Call your Deapartment of motor vehicle...
Old 06-09-2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by silvermax2k2
Your state government website or the DOT website will have it... ya just need to do some digging.