5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HomeDepot: PCV Blowby Oil Catch Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 08:03 PM
You should thank my D***

Would this husky filter be a lot better since it has a metal bowl.

Is it too big?

I'm thinking about returning the smaller husky filter and buying this one.

3/8 In. airline filters

• Removes unwanted dirt particles and condensed water to extend tool life.
• 5-micron element.
• Metal bowl guard protects against impacts.
• Quick release bowl and quarter turn drain for easier use.
• 3/8" NPT Female ports.
• 57 SCFM flow capacity @90 PSI.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:09 PM
mjk
Head shot!!!

Originally Posted by WildmanAL
Oh god this is the dumbest thread yet. No wonder I never get on this site anymore......... if you have that much oil coming through your PCV system you have some problems that someone that knows what they're talking about needs to address. Come one guys this is ghetto
can you back that statement with facts?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:31 PM

Oh god this is the dumbest thread yet. No wonder I never get on this site anymore......... if you have that much oil coming through your PCV system you have some problems that someone that knows what they're talking about needs to address. Come one guys this is ghetto
Wow thats so stupid of you to say. But thanks for the input. We really value your opinion.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:57 AM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by steven88
i collect quite alot....i would say every 800 t0 900 miles i have to dump the tank...
Damn!!! though, it is alot of oil vapor that runs through the pcv so in a way its not so suprising. have you noticed a gas mileage improvement at all?
Old 05-18-2006, 05:00 AM
Doctor D I presume???

I kn ow what is ghetto,..... your ignorance on this subject, study the thread. whether or not its a 3.0 or 3.5 oil blowby is quite signifigant!!!! obviously you dont know that much about your car.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:05 AM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by inspiredbykev
Would this husky filter be a lot better since it has a metal bowl.

Is it too big?

I'm thinking about returning the smaller husky filter and buying this one.

3/8 In. airline filters

• Removes unwanted dirt particles and condensed water to extend tool life.
• 5-micron element.
• Metal bowl guard protects against impacts.
• Quick release bowl and quarter turn drain for easier use.
• 3/8" NPT Female ports.
• 57 SCFM flow capacity @90 PSI.

id say try it,... see what happens, the worst that could happen is that youll have less drainage intervals on the catch can.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by doc2278
Damn!!! though, it is alot of oil vapor that runs through the pcv so in a way its not so suprising. have you noticed a gas mileage improvement at all?
well maybe i'm exaggerating...but for sure, i would say 1k miles i would have to dump it....or else it would be very near the top of the tank....and it might get re sucked back in ....no gas mileage improvements as far as i know....i haven't noticed my hose collapse either?

but then again...i do drive short city miles....maybe thats why i'm getting alot of blow by....heard city miles give u more blow by than hwy miles (according to this thread)....and maybe thats also why my hose doesn't collapse...cuz it doesn't get so hot in my engine bay...becuz of the short trips i take...
Old 05-18-2006, 09:50 AM

ey, Irish, did you change your MAF? Because i see that green dot on it and mine (the original one did not have it). the new Maf i got has the dot though...
Old 05-19-2006, 05:17 AM
Doctor D I presume???

well maybe i'm exaggerating...but for sure, i would say 1k miles i would have to dump it....or else it would be very near the top of the tank....and it might get re sucked back in ....no gas mileage improvements as far as i know....i haven't noticed my hose collapse either?

but then again...i do drive short city miles....maybe thats why i'm getting alot of blow by....heard city miles give u more blow by than hwy miles (according to this thread)....and maybe thats also why my hose doesn't collapse...cuz it doesn't get so hot in my engine bay...becuz of the short trips i take...
that makes sense then, cause I do alot of city miles too and blowby has been alot in 3 days. what hoses do you have on yours?

I have done some highway runs (enough to get the engine bay temp up) and I havent noticed any changes in the hose or idle.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:46 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by doc2278
that makes sense then, cause I do alot of city miles too and blowby has been alot in 3 days. what hoses do you have on yours?

I have done some highway runs (enough to get the engine bay temp up) and I havent noticed any changes in the hose or idle.
i'm using the clear braided hoses...people say they will collapse...but mine hasn't yet...

when you say "collapse"...do you mean the hose will completely close up and clog the passage? cuz i'll be honest, my clear braided hoses do become smaller...but definitely not collapse....i just thought it was natural of it to get a little smaller becuz its so hot down there...
Old 05-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Doctor D I presume???

i'm using the clear braided hoses...people say they will collapse...but mine hasn't yet...

when you say "collapse"...do you mean the hose will completely close up and clog the passage? cuz i'll be honest, my clear braided hoses do become smaller...but definitely not collapse....i just thought it was natural of it to get a little smaller becuz its so hot down there...

I agree that it gets smaller due to the heat,

I initially had unbraided clear lines on there (bad idea I know) they collapsed, and only the corners of the lines were uncollapsed, so I switched over to power steering line, and I have had no collapsing since, i agree you should be fine though, with the braid at least keeps the shape integrity of the line.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:02 PM

i use the stock hose and a short unbraided clear line.

its shown in my pics back on page 5

as Lee predicted, the hose started deforming and i switched after about two months to fuel line. the hose was even thicker than the stock line and braided. havent had any problems since
Old 05-31-2006, 05:09 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

ive done this to my VE30, i used the husky one and clear braided hose

when the car is running the oil inside will be moving?? if not then the filter is the wrong way??

what about the hose that goes directly to the intake tube, from the crankcase breathers, dont they have blowby also?? should i try to catch it???
Old 05-31-2006, 06:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SurraTT
what about the hose that goes directly to the intake tube, from the crankcase breathers, dont they have blowby also?? should i try to catch it???
The hose that goes directly to the intake tube is where the air comes from that the PCV is sucking out. It goes in one side of the engine and out the other. However that is only for partial throttle, at WOT the vacuum is to low to suck the air/fumes etc through the PCV so the air reverses direction in the line coming from the intake tube.

So to answer the question, you could try and put one there too, but because it reverses direction from part throttle to WOT I'm not sure how effective it would be.

What I did to eliminate the oil coming in the intake at WOT when it reverses is shown in the pic below.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:09 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Anyone using synth had a problem with hoses or the canister getting eaten up?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:34 AM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by nismos14
I did. The braided clear hoses were getting hazy inside and they even collapsed in one place where too much material was eaten. I also noticed that the reservoir on my Husky filter was getting hazy and developing hairline cracks. The o-ring that seals the reservoir to the filter also got very flimsy and weak and expanded to the point that it wouldn't form a proper seal anymore (a similar thing happens to the o-ring on top of the fuel filter under the back seat of the 5th gen Max, which is why it must be replaced when you replace the fuel filter). If you've had your catchcan on for a while, try removing the reservoir and taking a look at the o-ring. Odds are that it has expanded and gotten a bit flimsy, and you may have trouble getting it seated properly when you try to put the reservoir back.

*EDIT*

I forgot to tell you what oil and fuel I use. At the time when I had my catchcan, I was on Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5w30, and I always fill up on 93 octane fuel, most of which has lots of "cleaners" in it around here. A combination of the synth oil and solvents in the fuel probably had something to do with the deterioration of my catchcan setup. I have removed my catchcan entirely, and I've switched from Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5w30 to German Castrol 0w30 (the oil switch was unrelated to my catchcan issue).

For the last few hundred miles before I removed my catchcan, I replaced the clear braided hoses with transmission cooler hoses. They seemed to hold up much better than the braided hoses. Fuel line or any other strong automotive hose would probably also work well, but even using better hoses won't stop your filter and reservoir from deteriorating. I have no explanation for why some people's air compressor filter setups have not deteriorated yet. All I know is that mine was looking pretty rough after only a couple of months.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:02 AM

Sorry you feel this way, I thought you were a little bit more knowledgeable than that. I guess this is a good reason not to come back... ever.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:46 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

well ive had myne in for a month or so and im having problems with it

say i hit a bump at slow speeds with the clutch in,the car will cut off due to all the oil that was caught being sucked in

is anyone else having this problem?? if you hit bumps the oil gets sucked in, in large amounts, im wondering if a different filter will prevent this

otherwise i love it, ive emptied it about 5 times
Old 06-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So if I'm using German Castrol and 93 octane, I shouldn't go for the plastic Husky filter, correct?
Old 11-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

can someone tell me why there's no oil going in to my home depol oil catch can. it dosen't even swerl in tube. please help
Old 11-30-2006, 03:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by cesar99
can someone tell me why there's no oil going in to my home depol oil catch can. it dosen't even swerl in tube. please help
One possible item to check is the PCV valve.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:03 PM

if there is 1 table spoon of oil in the catch can from 2 weeks of driving, is this good?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by cesar99

Swerl?

Check your PCV to see if it is clogged. Then check to see if you have it hooked up correctly (it's a one way filter). Also check to see if you have it hooked up to the right hoses. If you need pics let us know.

BTW run a spell check before you post if you don't know how to spell a word.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 03MAXTNR
if there is 1 table spoon of oil in the catch can from 2 weeks of driving, is this good?
2 weeks could mean 5000 miles or 12 miles, depends on mileage

Originally Posted by Edward Lee
(it's a one way filter)
I disassembled the filter and all the other items inside the catch can. So all i have is a catch ca, no filter or extra mumbo jumbo.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:49 PM

Post a pic of your setup and lets see what going on. I understand about gutting the oil separater and tossing the filter. Org. members do this to their separators and still catch oil so I don't thing that this would be your problem. Are you sure that you have it hooked up to the right hoses and that your PCV valve is not clogged?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:29 PM
retired moderator

bump for someone who was asking about it....
Old 03-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had this mod for awhile now. One problem..the inside of the "tank" which is plastic is turning white all over. Time to change the Husky filter? Is there a permanent solution to this? Maybe a good Ebay tank?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:05 PM
wat

I <3 my catch can, 1000 miles about 700 of those miles are Interstate.

Ive had my catchcan for a year now i think and the tank hasnt gone gooey on me or anything
Old 05-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anybody find any good cheap solution to these Home Depot filters?
Old 07-01-2007, 01:27 PM

Looking for some pictures of brackets. I have the large heavy Husky filter and I plan on making a bracket tomarro, so fi people can post pics of their hanger I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:35 PM
wat

I just emptied mine (2 months) and it was up to the bottom of the filter

as far as the bracket i just stuck it by the brake booster, no bracket or anything
Old 07-01-2007, 03:26 PM

Mine is the heavy husky one. And because I have the stock intake I need to route it to the corner near the washer fluid reservoir. I purchased 6 feet of hose for $8 at auto zone, and realized when I got home that I need an aditional 5 feet. Hope to make a custom bracket tomarow, but need some pictures.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:04 AM
absoundlab

if you use the husky air filter do you have to remove the filter element from the inside?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Didn't install mine yet. I made the bracket and it looks great. Have to degrease it and paint it so it shouldn't rust.

If anyone installed the big husky catch can pls post pics. That will be my motivation to install it.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

i'm doing an ebay CC filled with Steel Wool.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:55 PM

Photo of mine, as in another thread somewhere
Old 07-06-2007, 07:05 PM
absoundlab

do you leave the filter in there or do you take it out?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by absoundlab
do you leave the filter in there or do you take it out?
I left my filter in, no probs, more peace of mind
Old 07-07-2007, 09:15 PM

Why take out the filter? Isn't it the heart of the system?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14

Been using Penzoil Platinum 5-30 Full syn, canister is still clear,

Quick Reply: HomeDepot: PCV Blowby Oil Catch Reservoir