5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HomeDepot: PCV Blowby Oil Catch Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by YuAnChen

NO 34567890
Old 02-10-2006, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by YuAnChen
Will This work ?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/JDM-OIL-CATCH-RES...QQcmdZViewItem
No, it won't work.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:12 AM

Has anyone tried using a coalescing type filter like this one?

http://www.airmaxproducts.com/coalescing_filters.htm

These are specifically designed for removing oil/water in aerosol form (down to 0.3 microns) from compressed air systems.

They are a little pricey though. The above one cost me $105 CDN.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:13 AM

cant see the pcv vavle....it kinda looks like the second metal tube that attached to the hose that comes around to the reservoir, but im not sure..can someone help me out? Thx.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:33 AM

The pcv valve is on the drivers'/firewall side near the corner of the valve cover near throttle and cruise cables. You will see the hose going to the pcv valve almost on the corner. I am doing this today, saw it along time ago and forgot about it.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by eng92
Has anyone tried using a coalescing type filter like this one?

http://www.airmaxproducts.com/coalescing_filters.htm

These are specifically designed for removing oil/water in aerosol form (down to 0.3 microns) from compressed air systems.

They are a little pricey though. The above one cost me $105 CDN.
Has anyone tried it? Come on, that's the same catch filter as all the other ones. It's just cloaked in a black sheath. This one's from Sears and cost me $24.00. Do you see a difference?

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-10-2006, 11:01 AM

Edward Lee:
That Craftsman filter you are showing is a general purpose filter. The filter element in that is meant for removal of solid particles and LIQUID water from the airstream. They typically filter down to 5 microns. Most of the water and oil aerosols will pass right through that

The unit I am talking about filters down to 0.3 microns. When used in an air supply system, it is always mounted downstream of the general purpose filter.

They both use similar housings. It is the filter media that makes the difference.

I do not think Craftsman offers a oil separator coalescing-type filter. Most compressor systems do not require them because air tools like lots of oil in the airstream. It is only if you are using the compressed air for painting or sandblasting, that you would want to remove as much oil as possible.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by eng92
Edward Lee:
That Craftsman filter you are showing is a general purpose filter. The filter element in that is meant for removal of solid particles and LIQUID water from the airstream. They typically filter down to 5 microns. Most of the water and oil aerosols will pass right through that

The unit I am talking about filters down to 0.3 microns. When used in an air supply system, it is always mounted downstream of the general purpose filter.

They both use similar housings. It is the filter media that makes the difference.

I do not think Craftsman offers a oil separator coalescing-type filter. Most compressor systems do not require them because air tools like lots of oil in the airstream. It is only if you are using the compressed air for painting or sandblasting, that you would want to remove as much oil as possible.
Well, that says it all. Where can I get one of those and what is the drain procedure like? Highly interested.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:30 PM

so earlier in this thread someone commented that when they removed the filter from the regular home depot one they collected twice as much oil???? i just put mine on yesterday and also took the filter out and it is already starting to fill. But eng92 knowledge seems to contradict that stating the filter media makes all the difference. Can someone clarify as it seems the home depot one w/out the filter is just like the cheap ebay hollow canisters that don't collect any oil. Yet only one day and already oil is in there with out filter? which way stops more oil from entering top of engine? I'd say after edwaed lee and eng92 with filter but please clarify. thanks for any help
Old 02-10-2006, 05:48 PM

My earlier post was inquiring whether anyone had tried using a coalescing-type filter. I was not recommending its use.

In a compressed air application, there is no doubt that it provides much superior oil removal capabilities to that of a general purpose filter.

However, our application is different. We are placing the filter under vacuum. The surface area of the filter media is many times that of the x-sectional area of the filter bowl. Therefore an oil soaked filter will more readily give up its oil when subject to vacuum than the liquid oil pooling in the filter bowl.

I am going to give this coalescing filter a try and see how effective it is. I just put new rings in my engine (VQ35) so I am really not expecting much blowby. Only time will tell.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:17 AM

I have noticed one thing. When doing an oil change, I used to religiously fill it with 4.5Qts of oil. Checking the dipstick it was always at the H. My theory is this is too much oil and it's causing the extra blowby.

After taking my catch-can off, I began filling it with 4.0Qts of oil. Checking the dipstick it is right in the middle (may have to add 1/10th of a quart to achieve). No more ping.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:42 PM

Has anybody considered here, that placing a filter where we are could possibly reduce vacuum on the pcv valve? This may explain why people with filters collect less oil, because they are taking more vacuum away from the pcv valve, possibly leaving it shut, or at least closer to shut than say with no catch can. This would also explain the pcv valves gunking up and no longer working on certain people....either way, I see a set up with the catch can and no filter being the wise choice here. Someone should test how much vacuum is being dampened by the filter...

my thoughts

J
Old 02-11-2006, 01:48 PM
I Know Kwaliti

When I had the filter in, I did not collect as much oil as I do now without it. When I removed the filter, it was soaked with oil. It could be that the same way it gets into filter (as vapor), the same way it gets sucked out of it under vacuum and still goes into manifold and a small amount gets collected below in canister...
Old 02-11-2006, 02:55 PM

it would only be logical for the catch can to have more oil in it faster since there is no filter first soaking up the oil and eventually dripping it down into the catch can. Question: wouldnt it still get sucked into the manifold from the filter when it gets vacuumed? i mean like a little bit of it would go in (a very minute quantity). Just wondering.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:00 PM

I have just bought the Home Dept catch can, and I will provide pictures soon. Where the filter goes, I have replaced with a small brass fitting about an inch long to direct the flow of the oil down towards the bottom of the catch can instead of just removing the filter. I think this is a good idea, I will install and report back soon.

J
Old 02-11-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jasovanni
I have just bought the Home Dept catch can, and I will provide pictures soon. Where the filter goes, I have replaced with a small brass fitting about an inch long to direct the flow of the oil down towards the bottom of the catch can instead of just removing the filter. I think this is a good idea, I will install and report back soon.

J
if it works out well..can you list all the names of the material and how much it cost you for each? im planning to do this, just there is such a WIDE variety that i can choose from. So some specificity would definitley help. Thanks and i hope your catch can works out.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by PandaXpress
it would only be logical for the catch can to have more oil in it faster since there is no filter first soaking up the oil and eventually dripping it down into the catch can. Question: wouldnt it still get sucked into the manifold from the filter when it gets vacuumed? i mean like a little bit of it would go in (a very minute quantity). Just wondering.

You have it backwards. The oil first flows into the reservoir then the air escapes through the filter.

It doesn't flow through the filter then drop into the reservoir.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by PandaXpress
if it works out well..can you list all the names of the material and how much it cost you for each? im planning to do this, just there is such a WIDE variety that i can choose from. So some specificity would definitley help. Thanks and i hope your catch can works out.
Parts:

HUSKY brand "Mini General Purpose Filter" It has 1/4" fittings, there is also a bigger one there, which will work also, but I am unsure as to the fitting sizes. I found this next to the air compressors at Home Depot. Also a plus for the smaller one, price:
$11.97
The model number is not on the outside of the package. Mine was in a tube.

(2x) WATTS brand 3/8" hose (inner hose diameter) to 1/4" threaded adapter (brass fitting)
$1.50 a piece (gotta go to the brass fittings section of HD)
Part #: pb225 or A-293, not sure which one.
looks like: hose <<<((((| filter |))))>>>hose
open that thing up in the store, I did, and make sure these fittings fit.
(I wasn't arrested)

3/8 (inner diameter) fuel line hose from the Auto Parts store. HD did not have this. You need 3 feet on average, this should run you about 3 bucks. I wouldn't settle for any other hose than this classic black hose because gas and oil can eat through most of what HD has.

OK, now, what I did that is special:

I bought a A-715, or pb113 fitting that screws into the inner hole where the filter went on the catch can. It is 1/8" fine threaded and brass, should be in the same section as your hose adapters. Its only about an inch long. I figure this should help direct the oil more towards the bottom of the catch can. I didn't go any longer because I didn't want it getting dipped into any oil already caught.
Price: 89cents looks like this: O)))))))))

So, voila. Grand Total: $19.00
Its installed, looks great, and I'll get pictures when I can. I'll keep in touch on this one.

Good luck!

J
Old 02-11-2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Edward Lee
You have it backwards. The oil first flows into the reservoir then the air escapes through the filter.

It doesn't flow through the filter then drop into the reservoir.
lol...i thought it went into the filter first...oops... my bad. I stand corrected.

P.S. Thx for the details Jasovanni
Old 02-12-2006, 10:25 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-12-2006, 11:41 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
edward, did you change your filter size?
Old 02-12-2006, 11:45 AM

I can see the big resevoir being more convenient, but is it as effective? I know for a fact it takes more suction to create the same amount of vacuum on the pcv valve if you're sucking through a bigger diameter hose, which of course we can't exactly suck "more". This, IMO could possibly dampen the effects of the bigger resevoir. I'm not bashing the bigger one here, but has anybody compared suction between the two using bigger hose vs. smaller....?

J
Old 02-17-2006, 10:09 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Has anyone found a bigger reservoir that can fit a 1/4" Husky separator? I just came from HD and they do not carry it other than a super-duper size separator...
Old 02-17-2006, 01:26 PM

No, but you could always try dremeling the thing, and supergluing a tube, or cut resevoir from another filter to it, effectively extending the bottom, I could see how this would be a wise thing, helping to make it even harder to suck oil out of the bottom of these..... anybody wanna give it a try?

J
Old 02-17-2006, 02:34 PM

Should the little stone filter come out or stay in???
with it in, oil is still collecting in the tube going back to the intake, so I figured I would take it out, but now it's just two holes at the top of a resivoir???
if I read correctly the oil comes out aspirated in a fine mist, so that mist would just come in one hole and go right back out the other right?

Filter in/Filter out???????????????
Old 02-17-2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by the paragon
edward, did you change your filter size?

NO! I did not touch the filter.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:27 PM

The tube that goes down into the pcv is pretty hard to detach. Can I just take off the end that connects to the manifold and connect that directly to my reservoir? Then I won't have to mess with the end that connects to the PCV.

Ed, some help?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:34 PM

Yes you probably can but you will still need some hose to connect the catch jar to the manifold unless you just slice the stock hose and place the catch jar in line.

However, be reminded that the sotck hose has hard bends in it that lead it to the manifold. If you change the routing or length of the hose, by adding the catch jar, it may look funny or not sit right.

If you really want to get it off, just keep tugging on the hose and jiggling it around a bit because it actually comes off pretty easy. It is held in place by rubber, that's it.

Good Luck!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:34 PM

Campbell Hausfeld mini general purpose filter from Wal-Mart
2 3/8: x 1/4" hose barb and 1 1/2"OD 3/8"ID 55PSI hose from Home Depot
As you can see I just used the stock hose... and only about 3" of the Home Depot hose.
The rubber bands are holding it so that the filter doesnt touch any metal parts.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by trigger005

Campbell Hausfeld mini general purpose filter from Wal-Mart
2 3/8: x 1/4" hose barb and 1 1/2"OD 3/8"ID 55PSI hose from Home Depot
As you can see I just used the stock hose... and only about 3" of the Home Depot hose.
The rubber bands are holding it so that the filter doesnt touch any metal parts.

I like the blue, however, you are going to have a few issues soon. First issue is that the reservoir is small and you will find yourself emptying it almost everyday when you get home. Second issue is that clear hose from Home Depot may not last long. Go and get it replaced with some fuel line hose. It doesn't have to be fuel injection hose, just fuel line hose. Last but not least, those rubber bands will probably last about a month or so under the hood. Use some zip ties in place of them. Otherwise, it looks great.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:45 PM

I ran this setup for few days and had issues with idle. It was like tachometer needle would drop slowly as I released pedal. I took it off was the problem in a vacuum leak? I'm considering it to go back the way trigger has it though. Doesn't shorter hose means less loss in vacuum "suck" power?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:15 PM

I like the blue, however, you are going to have a few issues soon. First issue is that the reservoir is small and you will find yourself emptying it almost everyday when you get home. Second issue is that clear hose from Home Depot may not last long. Go and get it replaced with some fuel line hose. It doesn't have to be fuel injection hose, just fuel line hose. Last but not least, those rubber bands will probably last about a month or so under the hood. Use some zip ties in place of them. Otherwise, it looks great.
I went to Home Depot and asked for fuel line hose and they said they didn't have any... I found a lot of hoses right under where they had their big selection of hose connectors. None of them were for fuel line. Only reason why I got the filter from Wal-Mart was because they said they didnt have it at Home Depot... so much 4 them havin all the answers. Or maybe its just a lame WI thing.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:18 PM
wat

go to an autoparts store to get the fuel lines
Old 02-21-2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nomad
I ran this setup for few days and had issues with idle. It was like tachometer needle would drop slowly as I released pedal. I took it off was the problem in a vacuum leak? I'm considering it to go back the way trigger has it though. Doesn't shorter hose means less loss in vacuum "suck" power?

This sounds interesting but can someone translate this for me in English?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Seoul Man

I went to Home Depot and asked for fuel line hose and they said they didn't have any... I found a lot of hoses right under where they had their big selection of hose connectors. None of them were for fuel line. Only reason why I got the filter from Wal-Mart was because they said they didnt have it at Home Depot... so much 4 them havin all the answers. Or maybe its just a lame WI thing.
So, you went to Home Depot and couldn't find any fuel line... and this surprised you? Hmmm... I did a little bit of reading (on the page right before this one), and I found some interesting posts.

Originally Posted by Jasovanni
3/8 (inner diameter) fuel line hose from the Auto Parts store. HD did not have this. You need 3 feet on average, this should run you about 3 bucks. I wouldn't settle for any other hose than this classic black hose because gas and oil can eat through most of what HD has.
Second issue is that clear hose from Home Depot may not last long. Go and get it replaced with some fuel line hose. It doesn't have to be fuel injection hose, just fuel line hose. Last but not least, those rubber bands will probably last about a month or so under the hood. Use some zip ties in place of them. Otherwise, it looks great.
Theres another thread on this topic too, and it contains some more information about about both the hoses and the filters that people are using for their catchcan setups... with pictures.

Originally Posted by spiromax
I was using the clear PVC tubing with the braided reinforcement threads in it, and it had no problem with pressure, but it collapsed at one bend because of exposure to heat. I replaced that particular length of tubing with high pressure hose for a transmission cooler from Autozone.
Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
I had the same problem.
You might also want to read this post and this post from that thread.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:59 PM

You can get the larger oil separator from Sears and it has a really nice faucet for the drain. I attached a hose from the drain to the bottom of the car and all I have to do to drain the oil is place a small bottle under the car and turn the faucet.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-24-2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by spiromax
So, you went to Home Depot and couldn't find any fuel line... and this surprised you? Hmmm... I did a little bit of reading (on the page right before this one), and I found some interesting posts.

Theres another thread on this topic too, and it contains some more information about about both the hoses and the filters that people are using for their catchcan setups... with pictures.

You might also want to read this post and this post from that thread.

Heh, thx. I've used it for a couple of days and everythings fine. No apparent leaks and not that much oil has gathered... probly because I rarely rev past 3K.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:31 AM

Nice job Irish! Are you in the Navy?
Old 04-20-2006, 05:30 PM

hey guys,
I just got done with doing this mod....
and one question: "which way does the oil flow, is it from the top to the bottom, or is it from the bottom to the top?
i have it hooked up to go from the bottom to the top, and i drove car around for like 5 miles, and everything seems ok....
Can someone help me out on this one please
thank you
huso selimovic
Old 04-20-2006, 07:37 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Huso, oil goes from the bottom of the engine and gets blown into the top (intake) for burn off. As the abr. suggests - Positive Crankcase Ventilation...

Quick Reply: HomeDepot: PCV Blowby Oil Catch Reservoir