5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HomeDepot: PCV Blowby Oil Catch Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by igzy
Huso, oil goes from the bottom of the engine and gets blown into the top (intake) for burn off. As the abr. suggests - Positive Crankcase Ventilation...
hey thx a lot man,
i have it the rite way, and josh already told me which way it goes....
but thanks guys.....
btw: installation wasnt hard at all, i thought that it was going to be but its not....i'll take some pics of it 2morrow, and post some....
it looks good, and it does it job...
so iam happy
thx again guys
huso selimovic
Old 04-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Need A Light?

Omg, i'm terribly sorry...but I came late into this thread...can someone answer these questions'?

1. Is there a difference between the different setups I see in this thread? It seems like some go with sears, home depot...or whatever...

2. Can someone copy and paste the exact supplies I need to go buy this product? Its so nerve wrecking stepping into a huge parts store like home depot or lowes...and I just want to make sure I have the correct names of the products

3. Does this thing fill up quick? How long do some of you guys go until you dump out your canister? what kind of driving do you do? thanks!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:35 PM
I Know Kwaliti

In short...

1) any would do, Sears or HD. You need pressure line water seperator or so called in-line filter for air lines... There are pics in thread to show what exactly along with part numbers...

2) you need the separator/filter, 4 small hose clamps and 3-4' of hoses, 15 minutes of work... 1 case of beer

3) I empty mine (Husky brand, bought from HD) every two weeks (it is full by then), on roughly 1000 miles of driving...

Lots of these q's have been covered throughout the thread in further detail...
Old 04-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Need A Light?

In short...

1) any would do, Sears or HD. You need pressure line water seperator or so called in-line filter for air lines... There are pics in thread to show what exactly along with part numbers...

2) you need the separator/filter, 4 small hose clamps and 3-4' of hoses, 15 minutes of work... 1 case of beer

3) I empty mine (Husky brand, bought from HD) every two weeks (it is full by then), on roughly 1000 miles of driving...

Lots of these q's have been covered throughout the thread in further detail...
do you do city or highway miles? i do alot of city...heard it builds up alot quicker during city miles?

oh yeah, which one did u go with...the inline filter for air lines...or water seperator?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:28 AM
Need A Light?

oh yeah another question....how long does the filter on the husky unit last?
Old 04-21-2006, 05:08 AM
I Know Kwaliti

I went with a Husky separator which has a filter in it. I drive 50/50 hwy/city. I removed the filter from the unit. I have noted that more oil is collected with it out as I suspect that some oil from the filter was being sucked back into the PCV system by vacuum...
Old 04-21-2006, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jasovanni
Parts:

HUSKY brand "Mini General Purpose Filter" It has 1/4" fittings, there is also a bigger one there, which will work also, but I am unsure as to the fitting sizes. I found this next to the air compressors at Home Depot. Also a plus for the smaller one, price:
$11.97
The model number is not on the outside of the package. Mine was in a tube.

(2x) WATTS brand 3/8" hose (inner hose diameter) to 1/4" threaded adapter (brass fitting)
$1.50 a piece (gotta go to the brass fittings section of HD)
Part #: pb225 or A-293, not sure which one.
looks like: hose <<<((((| filter |))))>>>hose
open that thing up in the store, I did, and make sure these fittings fit.
(I wasn't arrested)

3/8 (inner diameter) fuel line hose from the Auto Parts store. HD did not have this. You need 3 feet on average, this should run you about 3 bucks. I wouldn't settle for any other hose than this classic black hose because gas and oil can eat through most of what HD has.

OK, now, what I did that is special:

I bought a A-715, or pb113 fitting that screws into the inner hole where the filter went on the catch can. It is 1/8" fine threaded and brass, should be in the same section as your hose adapters. Its only about an inch long. I figure this should help direct the oil more towards the bottom of the catch can. I didn't go any longer because I didn't want it getting dipped into any oil already caught.
Price: 89cents looks like this: O)))))))))

So, voila. Grand Total: $19.00
Its installed, looks great, and I'll get pictures when I can. I'll keep in touch on this one.

Good luck!

J
"2. Can someone copy and paste the exact supplies I need to go buy this product? Its so nerve wrecking stepping into a huge parts store like home depot or lowes...and I just want to make sure I have the correct names of the products"

UPDATE, i've been catching more oil with the filter installed..... the inch long spacer idea sucked too much oil back through. I put the filter back on and immediately began catching oil.... but hey, gotta take risks to learn something new.

Oh, and also for the record, this was posted on the page before this one in THIS thread.... so in the spirit of the org, I'm afraid I have to post some sort of taunting smiley....ah yes, this one seems appropriate.....

good luck,

J
Old 04-21-2006, 10:17 AM

bout time this thread was ressurected again heh.

anyone run into any trouble with their PCV catch and synthetic oil?

everythings been working fine for me thus far. I do notice that I am getting much LESS oil than what others report.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Need A Light?

haha wait up.....wuts going on here? does it collect more oil WITH or WITHOUT the filter installed?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Need A Light?

Just did this mod!

Just got back from the store...here are the supplies you need...

1. TWO (2) watts 3/8th to 1/4th hose barb
2. FOUR (4) mini hose clamps...not shown in the picture becuz i already had some in the garage
3. ONE (1) Husky Mini General Purpose Filter
4. 3/8th ID (inner diameter) braided hose....I got 3 feet...I recommend more since I ran out of 3 feet pretty quick

Here is a close up of the WATTS hose barbs you have to get...it looks exactly like this!

A close up of the container which the Husky filter came in....looks just like this...

Installed on my car...you'll notice my pcv to catch can hose is darker than the rest of the hosing...thats becuz I already had a catch can on my car...and reused the hose...You'll also notice that I removed the filter from inside the catch can...heard it traps more oil without the filter
Old 04-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Need A Light?

The last and final picture...had this ebay catch can for 5 months...drained it out...and just like 2002 Maxima SE, barely any **** came out....all I gotta say to this catch can,
Old 04-21-2006, 07:25 PM

hahahha,
good job andrew.....
i got some pic of this mod also....
but i went with the smaller filter (the one from walmart) i liked it cause' its blue, and i just went with it.....

Old 04-21-2006, 08:21 PM

Im glad someone brought this back to life as this will be my next mod. Excellent thread that discussed the benefits of this mod and how to do it as well.
Thank you
Old 04-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Need A Light?

okay can somebody help me on this part?

I am currently running german castrol 0w-30 group IV fully synthetic PAO oil...the bottle says not to use synthetic oils....what should I do? anybody able to get away with this?

Josh you use synthetic too don't ya?
Old 04-22-2006, 04:48 PM

Nice job. Just be aware that those air fliters don't catch all the oil. At least not in compressed air lines. Maybe 70%. Probably good enough for your purposes.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:52 PM
wat

Im using fully synthetic mobil 1 10w30, ive read somewhere on one of the threads about this that the synthetic oil will break down the plastic of the container, im pretty shure that would take a while, but im gonna keep running synthetic and if i have to ill just buy another catch can.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:57 PM
wat

I have a question that has been posted up but i dont think ive read an answer for it.

-Will the vaccume be stronger on a longer hose or a shorter hose?
(Im guessing but not shure that a shorter hose woudl hold a stronger vaccume.)
-Will the size of the catch can you are using affect how strong the vacume is?
-Should i even worry about the strength of the vaccume?
Old 04-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Need A Light?

anybody else have bad experience with using synthetic oils and these containers?

Huso, how much did you pay for your walmart filter? does it say anywhere about warnings of using synthetic oils?
Old 04-22-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by steven88
anybody else have bad experience with using synthetic oils and these containers?

Huso, how much did you pay for your walmart filter? does it say anywhere about warnings of using synthetic oils?
costs about $18
says on the container to avoid synthetic oil
Old 04-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by trigger005
costs about $18
says on the container to avoid synthetic oil
you have a walmart filter too? damn $18 is freakin alot...considering its walmart too!

my husky was $11
Old 04-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Drug Money

Old 04-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Need A Light?

wtf? stop with the middle fingers
Old 04-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Drug Money

wtf? stop with the middle fingers
I took that pic MONTHS ago! You did just now!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Need A Light?

can anybody else confirm which is better? filter or non filter? in terms of cathing more oil!!
Old 04-23-2006, 11:44 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Read the posts in threads including the other one you posted in too on blowby
Old 04-24-2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
I have a question that has been posted up but i dont think ive read an answer for it.

-Will the vaccume be stronger on a longer hose or a shorter hose?
(Im guessing but not shure that a shorter hose woudl hold a stronger vaccume.)
-Will the size of the catch can you are using affect how strong the vacume is?
-Should i even worry about the strength of the vaccume?
I was initially worried about a: the strength of the vacuum, and b: synthetic oil.

Although i went with the smaller filter for said vacuum reasons, I tried taking off the catch can with the car running, haha, it tugged so hard i gave up! Anyhow, longer hose, and a bigger can will reduce that, but its already sucking harder than your average vacuum cleaner, so IMO.....either can will work fine, but again, I have not tested the larger one, or longer hose...(mine is maybe 3 feet long, and 3/8 diameter)

As far as synthetic....yes, it advises no on that, but thats instructions for your average air compressor on which this little filter could be for years. Personally, if I have to replace it once a year, for $10, i'm not going to cry about it.....

Oh, and so you all know, I've probably caught about two cupfulls of the blowby in, oh about a month and a half.... good nuff for me!

kthx

J
Old 04-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Need A Light?

Jasovanni, did you leave your filter on? Cuz I just threw mine out....its collecting alot of oil!!

I also thought synthetic fluids would damage the bowl...not fly through the filter? I'm going to keep a close eye on my bowl...see if it starts to warp in anyway or form....Irish has been running mobil1 for awhile now...and he has no problems iirc
Old 04-24-2006, 08:33 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Mobil1 in mine too... No probs with the cup... It could be just a disclaimer as the manufacturer did not test sufficiently enough with synth but only with dyno oil...
Old 05-14-2006, 06:38 AM

anyone else had idle problems from this?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by super6
anyone else had idle problems from this?
vacume leak? did you try tightening all the connections?

also alfter much confusion at both home depot and loews about what a general purpose filter is, i found that it is also called HUSKY 1/4 In. Air Compressor Filter
Model# HDA70400AV. hope that helps.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Maxima.Org Bishes

I think I will try this Mod
Old 05-14-2006, 08:52 PM

I've developed a little hiccup at idle. I was looking around under the hood and I noticed that the hose coming off the PCV had collapsed, but not entirely. The line did not collapse due to a bend. I have my "catch can" located near the PS fluid res and a section of the hose with out any kind of bend in it had collapsed. I'm running standard fuel line on both the in and out sides Anyone else have this problem?

So I took it off and went back to stock and my idle issue cleared up. I'm going to put it back on once I get some new/better hose and see what happens. I'm not completly familiar with how the PCV works, but based off what I found the hose in between catchcan and the PCV is under vacum at times? Is there better hose to use?
Old 05-15-2006, 05:05 AM

It's funny you mention the hicup. I have since developed a missfire or hicup if you will. I took my mod off, and the idle seems to be getting better.

As you, I used fuel line because it was the only thing I could find, but it does seem to be collapsing (spelling?) which I figured it may. I also noticed my car not running as well. I've posted about it thinking it was something else, but now that the mod is off, I haven't felt the power loss. This also why I posted the question, does this mod effect anything in the intake? I'm going to make a hard lined system and see if that makes a difference. If not then I will level well enough alone.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:09 PM

Ok, so for those with collapsing fuel line, did you use 3/8 or 1/2....i used 3/8 and no collapsing.....

And, for the record, mine seems to be doing better with the filter in....

Not too sure why, but hey, whatever works right?

J
Old 05-15-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jasovanni
Ok, so for those with collapsing fuel line, did you use 3/8 or 1/2....i used 3/8 and no collapsing.....

And, for the record, mine seems to be doing better with the filter in....

Not too sure why, but hey, whatever works right?

J
I used 3/8", but if I recall correctly it was some low cost stuff from Ace Hardware I think. I know I have used line from auto parts stores that seemed more resilient. Perhaps I will try that.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:15 PM

I used 3/8 from two different auto parts stores. I have since bought some PCV line that should hold up to the vac. We will see what happens. I could still have another problem that only shows it's ugly head with this collaps line thing ????
Old 05-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Jasovanni, did you leave your filter on? Cuz I just threw mine out....its collecting alot of oil!!

I also thought synthetic fluids would damage the bowl...not fly through the filter? I'm going to keep a close eye on my bowl...see if it starts to warp in anyway or form....Irish has been running mobil1 for awhile now...and he has no problems iirc

did mine today,... and I run full synthetic so we'll see what happens. if it does ruin the bowl i'll get a new one and coat it with a vynl ester resin, ( they use it in composite race tanks) that will prevent damage to the bowl. Steve,... i took my filter out too so, about how much would say youve collected since you did that?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Doctor D I presume???

Mobil1 in mine too... No probs with the cup... It could be just a disclaimer as the manufacturer did not test sufficiently enough with synth but only with dyno oil...

+1...............
Old 05-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by doc2278
did mine today,... and I run full synthetic so we'll see what happens. if it does ruin the bowl i'll get a new one and coat it with a vynl ester resin, ( they use it in composite race tanks) that will prevent damage to the bowl. Steve,... i took my filter out too so, about how much would say youve collected since you did that?
i collect quite alot....i would say every 800 t0 900 miles i have to dump the tank...
Old 05-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Oh god this is the dumbest thread yet. No wonder I never get on this site anymore......... if you have that much oil coming through your PCV system you have some problems that someone that knows what they're talking about needs to address. Come one guys this is ghetto

Quick Reply: HomeDepot: PCV Blowby Oil Catch Reservoir