5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Radar Detector Mount...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:01 AM

Radar Detector Mount...

I have tried using both the normal windshield mount, and a universal tray type windshield mount for my Bel Vector 985 and all of them allow the radar detector to rattle/vibrate too much while driving. My friend got the new Vector 995 and his mount is much better and doesn't vibrate/move at all during driving but it's not compatible with my detector...I think the best chance is to have some sort of an attachment come off of the dash maybe and a few inches up the windshield so the detector can pick up radar/laser from behind through the back window. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:56 AM

Through the back window??? What! Do you drive everywhere backwards or something! If the laser/rader gun is behind your vehicle, then the cop has probably already got your speed recorded.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kruppa
I think the best chance is to have some sort of an attachment come off of the dash maybe and a few inches up the windshield so the detector can pick up radar/laser from behind through the back window.
Meaning the detector is high enough so it can pick up things from behind. And yes, many many times have I been saved by my detector from a cop coming up from behind me on both back roads and the highway
Old 07-18-2005, 10:07 AM

Okay, high enough to get front and back. Gotcha. BTW, I have an older relative that is a detective. He told me cops keep their radar's on so people with detectors will pick up their signal and slow down, because they can't clock you with a radar while their moving ( my relative didn't state anything like that, just what I figure).
Old 07-18-2005, 10:14 AM
SHIFT_this

Originally Posted by AcerX
Okay, high enough to get front and back. Gotcha. BTW, I have an older relative that is a detective. He told me cops keep their radar's on so people with detectors will pick up their signal and slow down, because they can't clock you with a radar while their moving ( my relative didn't state anything like that, just what I figure).
I use to think this this until my girl passed a cop going in the opposite direction then he crossed the median and pulled us over for speeding, No ticket, but a thrown out theory.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ryals
I use to think this this until my girl passed a cop going in the opposite direction then he crossed the median and pulled us over for speeding, No ticket, but a thrown out theory.

Are you sure he clocked you, because they have the authority to judge your speed and pull you over on account of "endangering others" (like cutting across the median sideways to traffic flow)
Old 07-18-2005, 10:39 AM
SHIFT_this

Are you sure he clocked you, because they have the authority to judge your speed and pull you over on account of "endangering others" (like cutting across the median sideways to traffic flow)
Maybe he didn't, we assumed he did but never asked to see the radar reading. Doubting he's show it to us anyway. I always figured they might be full of it some times.

For example, here in town they have these under cover ford explorers riding around and pulling people over. I was just getting into the city from a long road trip when I passed one up doing about 100mph. he never gave chase so I assumed it wasn't a cop, 10 miles later I slowed down to about 80 in a 55 and I see dim flashing lights in my rearview, its the explorer. I pull over and we go threw the lil spill about the speed limit, he told me I got as high as 71 in a 55.... lol, then he ask for my drivers licence and nothing else. When he leaves I realize my Radar never went off once, so I figured he didn't zap me and he was just assuming. He comes back and tell me I know better and to slow it down. That was it and I was on my way.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nah, with laser guns they can clock you going either direction. the speed of the laser beam is so fast, that even sum of speeds of both cars(cop going one way and you the other) is negligible. with the older radio-wave based guns they had to take their own speed into account, but not with laser. i got a ticket that way 2 years ago, and went to court for it. got the charge dropped to some non-points violation, but found this out about laser guns.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:45 AM

Well ski ski ski,

Try mounting it right under the mirror with your current bracket, and use something like double-sided tape or string to hold it against the mirror.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:51 AM

Here is were mine is.
[IMG] http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../722634_15.jpg [/IMG]
Old 07-18-2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by kcowden
1. Does it matter if it's behind the tinted band of the windshield?

2. What is that between the detector and the mirror?

Thanks.

I was always told that it should be as low as possible except if you have the Valentine1 (dunno why) because police usually aim at the license plate or headlights, but I may be wrong.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:54 AM

Oops, thought this would produce an image... guess not. Any way check my car domain page for where mine is.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:00 PM

Thanks.

I was always told that it should be as low as possible except if you have the Valentine1 (dunno why) because police usually aim at the license plate or headlights, but I may be wrong.
It worked, I just clicked on ur link
Old 07-18-2005, 12:08 PM

Oops, thought this would produce an image... guess not. Any way check my car domain page for where mine is.
This should do it.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../722634_15.jpg
Old 07-18-2005, 12:16 PM

Thanks.

The cops do aim at your license plate. If they pick you out then it's too late whether you have a detector or not. The best you can hope for, with laser or radar, is to pick up reflected waves bouncing off the cars in front of you.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by bladerunr
The cops do aim at your license plate. If they pick you out then it's too late whether you have a detector or not. The best you can hope for, with laser or radar, is to pick up reflected waves bouncing off the cars in front of you.
so true with radar. yes it bounces, but not laser. Laser does not bounce.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:49 PM

Why do people have it mounted so low? It makes no sense to make it so low, like practically on the dash. It should be as high as possible without being in front of the tint. If you don't like the wire hanging down, then use a phone wire and have it tucked under where the windshield meets the roof and go around the driverside pillar, down by the door and door jam and under the seat. I will post pics of my set up, no problems and no stupid wires hanging around.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:08 PM

I have tried using both the normal windshield mount, and a universal tray type windshield mount for my Bel Vector 985 and all of them allow the radar detector to rattle/vibrate too much while driving. My friend got the new Vector 995 and his mount is much better and doesn't vibrate/move at all during driving but it's not compatible with my detector...I think the best chance is to have some sort of an attachment come off of the dash maybe and a few inches up the windshield so the detector can pick up radar/laser from behind through the back window. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
I have seen a mount that attaches to the mirror and holds the detector about 3" below the mirror, but I can't for the life of me find the page now. I originally found it while searching for hardwiring instructions. It might have been a cardomain page. Real helpful, huh?
Old 07-18-2005, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Devils Fan
Why do people have it mounted so low? It makes no sense to make it so low, like practically on the dash. It should be as high as possible without being in front of the tint.
I thought the same thing, and that's what most people here recommend. I was looking for updated detector tests last week and found THIS LINK at radartest.com. Basically, says that mounting the detector high in the windshield takes away from laser detecting performance because the cops aim at headlights, and because the beam is so tight the detector may not pick it up even if mounted low. For radar, basically says that performance will about the same if you mount it low or high.

This is from something that they're trying to sell, so no telling what else they talk about. This was from the free preview.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:24 AM
SHIFT_this

Originally Posted by Eenis
I thought the same thing, and that's what most people here recommend. I was looking for updated detector tests last week and found THIS LINK at radartest.com. Basically, says that mounting the detector high in the windshield takes away from laser detecting performance because the cops aim at headlights, and because the beam is so tight the detector may not pick it up even if mounted low. For radar, basically says that performance will about the same if you mount it low or high.

This is from something that they're trying to sell, so no telling what else they talk about. This was from the free preview.
I have a question, I maybe I'm off , but I swear I saw an advertisment for something that you could place over your tag to prevent laser dectection. Would those clear or tinted tag covers not save you by preventing reflection? or stop the beam from bouncing?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:27 AM

I have a question, I maybe I'm off , but I swear I saw an advertisment for something that you could place over your tag to prevent laser dectection. Would those clear or tinted tag covers not save you by preventing reflection? or stop the beam from bouncing?
yah, Bel and some other companies offer a tag thing you place at the top of your license plate that jams the laser signal and they can't get a reading. I figured that the cops would realize what is happening and pull you over just because they know you have it and just say they estimated your speed, however, i suppose that's better than a solid reading because you could always fight it.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:44 AM

I think those are illegal in some places. Can't remember if I was going through some GA state laws or what, but it basically said that the covers are illegal. But there are some sprays and stuff that are supposed to work decently. speedlabs tested it in their last radar/laser test.

***EDIT*** This is the product they were talking about. SML put it on the headlights and front plate and it reduced distance the laser detected the car by ~50%.

http://www.laserveil.com/
Old 07-19-2005, 09:33 AM
SHIFT_this

Originally Posted by Eenis
I think those are illegal in some places. Can't remember if I was going through some GA state laws or what, but it basically said that the covers are illegal. But there are some sprays and stuff that are supposed to work decently. speedlabs tested it in their last radar/laser test.
Yeah I know where I'm from if you have tinted plate covers and the cop feels he can't easily read you tags then you can be stopped. A spay sounds cool though, something to kill the laser's affectivness. This maybe what I remeber hearing about.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:00 PM

I mounted mines above the clock flat surface, I popped out the clock pplastic piece and ran the wire through the little crack for a clean install. It picks up all laser and radars pretty fine....but nothing is 100% proof...
Old 07-20-2005, 09:18 AM
SHIFT_this

Has anyone tapped in to a fuse for power? I order the hardwire to do this, but I'm confused with the instructions on Corba's site for tapping into the dash fuse box. is there anywhere else to tap into. I don't have an auto dim mirror.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Suspension Yoda

mount it up high = tap into the map lights
mount it low = tap into anything, cig lighter, radio harness, clock

For the radio and clock, make sure it is not the constant power, but rather the accessory)
Old 07-20-2005, 10:00 AM

Has anyone tapped in to a fuse for power? I order the hardwire to do this, but I'm confused with the instructions on Corba's site for tapping into the dash fuse box. is there anywhere else to tap into. I don't have an auto dim mirror.
www.freestyleconcepts.com/v1.html

i got in tapped into something. Just don't know what it is..but it works..LOL
Old 07-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Maxima lover

I know quite a bit about radar and laser. I accually have a kustom signals radar gun. I wan't to clear up some things on here that aren't true about radar and laser.

Not true, radar works while coming or going, stationary or moving. Most of the time they drive with their radars off and activate them only have they see their target to avoid setting off radar detectors.

Originally Posted by chr0nos
nah, with laser guns they can clock you going either direction. the speed of the laser beam is so fast, that even sum of speeds of both cars(cop going one way and you the other) is negligible. with the older radio-wave based guns they had to take their own speed into account, but not with laser. i got a ticket that way 2 years ago, and went to court for it. got the charge dropped to some non-points violation, but found this out about laser guns.
Laser guns cannot be used while moving and they can't be used through glass either. The newer radar units(late 80's) gets the target vehicles speed by doing the calculations in the radar unit and displaying it for the officer.

No the plates that cover your license plate that advertise to block laser do not work. The laser gun can reflect off other things besides your license plate, such as your grille and headlights. You can buy electronic laser jamers that go around your license plate or mount in your grille. Those work, but are very expensive and a waste of money if laser is not used in your area very much.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:42 AM
SHIFT_this

Thanks for addressing those issues, much apprecitated!
Old 07-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Suspension Yoda

Unfortunately I don't, sorry. If I ever did it I would just use my multimeter on the wires and find the +/-

But for the map lights, there are only 2 wires anyway...so if the first try isn't right, it definitely is the second....
Old 07-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Newbie just Registered

They can clock you going the same direction and opposite direction. Some rader system can adjust with cruisers' speed.

As far as the detector itself, you can go to home improvement stores and get little rubber or felt pads the used for tables, chairs, vases, and stuff. They come as small as 1/4 inch. I got come clear ones, and they work well.

edit: winshield wipers will interfere or reduce signal to the detector if you mount behind them.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Maxima lover

Here is a pic of my Bel 945 mounted with the visor clip. Kruppa your 985 should have come with a visor clip. I mounted mine up there because for the most part you can't see it outside the car except at night if it's not on dark mode and because the suction cups that come from Bel have a hard time holding up the heafty Bel detectors. I took an old radar detector wire and cut off the cigarette plug part and ran it down my front left piller and then underneath the steering wheel and taped into the cigarette lighter. That way it goes off when I turn the car off. If I wan't to put it in another vehicle all I have to do is unplug it and leave the visor clip and just grab my suction cups and the original power cord and I'm good to go.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I like the visor mount. My Whistler didn't come with one and the window mount is not that great. I guess I'll have to look on Ebay for a visor clip. One nice thing about the whistler is that it came with a hard wire and a cigarette lighter cord.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:26 AM

Here is what my radar looks like mounted. More pics can be found in the link with a how to.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/621386/4