5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ripped off at the dealer..do i have a case???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:27 AM

ripped off at the dealer..do i have a case???

here is the quick story

prelude: car has 100k bumper to bumper warranty

so Itake my max in to the dealer for a check engine light
he takes it in comes bac kand tells me that the little valve on the vacuum canister is busted so they are going to replace it under warranty

15 minutes later he comes back and tells me that the tech broke the bolt off that was holding the sensor on the canister

he showed me the bolt and told me that it was too rusted
and this wasnt going to be covered as they can not cover rusted bolts under warranty

then he tells me i have two options either pay for a new canister, or go and fix the rusted bolts myself

i was put in a bind as i have no idea how to get the rusted and siezed bolts out of the canister since its plastic i figure i would just ruin it

so i pony up the 170 bucks for a new canister and leave the dealer feeling like a fool

because i ended up paying 170 bucks to get a 100 dollar sensor replaced under warranty??

i am thinking of writing a complaint letter to the owner of the dealership as i feel like i have been used,

i undestand that the bolts were rusted but the car is under a full warranty, i feel like they should have replaced the canister as well

what do you guys and gals think i should do???
Old 07-29-2005, 07:39 AM
I Know Kwaliti

From what I gather, you paid $170 for a replacement of a rusted screw. I think you should not have paid in the first place, but now that you did, I would definitelly go back as soon as possible and give them a peace of mind.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:50 AM

Read this post. I would contact the owner. Be nice, but firm about it.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=418852
Old 07-29-2005, 08:05 AM

Many of these dealerships are b*astards with no work ethics ... they break the bolt and ask you to put in $170.

I really feel sad for you man!!!
Old 07-29-2005, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

F that i would pay them for something they broke off. They have some serious nerve to even ask you. Go back!!! The only fair thing would to have asked you to pay maybe half of the 170.00
Old 07-29-2005, 08:15 AM

wtf, are u dumb Dima? He broke the bolt...his fault, they fix free of charge
Old 07-29-2005, 08:21 AM

If its bumper to bumper than I think it should be covered, especially if THEY broke it, they should have been more careful. I would demand your money back, I used to work at a dodge dealer as a mech about 12 years ago and they would rob people, they would make us change and do things that the car did not need , thats why I left.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:22 AM

i hope you paid on a credit card. this way if they don't do anything for you, you can dispute the charge and most likely win. especially if you tell your credit card company that you HAD to pay to get your car out of there.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:34 AM

If the bolt was rusted and there was a risk of breaking it, they should have gotten your permission to play with the bolt before embarking on day robbery of $170.

If you paid by credit card, call the credit card agency and report the matter that my vehicle was imobilized due to their carelessness and was force to put in the money.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:44 AM

I would talk with the GM of the dealership. You have a warranty for a reason, so you don't pay for anything.....
Old 07-29-2005, 09:36 AM

Since the cannister is an air emmissions component...wouldn't it be covered under the extended warranty for air pollution controls?

Rusting of a part is not the same as rusting of the body. Air pollution control devices should be designed to last the full pollution warranty????
Old 07-29-2005, 09:59 AM

they ripped you off, if the tech broke it the dealership has to cover it
Old 07-29-2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by CVicVogel
Since the cannister is an air emmissions component...wouldn't it be covered under the extended warranty for air pollution controls?

Rusting of a part is not the same as rusting of the body. Air pollution control devices should be designed to last the full pollution warranty????
I thought emmissions were covered under 75k wntty from factory.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:13 AM

emissions is 8/80 under warranty. they cannot charge you for that dumb cannister
Old 07-29-2005, 02:42 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Anything dealer breaks - they have to eat the cost on. PERIOD.

Back in the day I took my car to get the idler pulley repleaced under warranty cause it was squealing. He broke off the top mounting tab of the TIMING CHAIN COVER. Solution ? Remove the oil pan, remove crank pulley, and repleace the timing chain cover. Tech wanted to repleace the cover, but I told him no. I didn't want any goof ball in my engine repleacing parts like these. I didn't want no oil leaks to happen. I made myself a little bracket- welded it on the idler pulley bracket to the motor mount and I was good.

In my dealership ( Acura ) when we do a tranny and the controll arm bolt doesn't come out and breaks- we do not charge the customer for a new controll arm and bolt- we basically warranty it- even if the car has 90K miles, and its only warranty is the 100K mile TRANS warranty. Dealers are able to warranty alot of things, all it takes is a little phone call to the reginal warranty rep and they 90% of the time will warranty anything- even engines.

Talk to the GM, its not your fault the bolt broke.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You cannot hold the dealer responsable for a broken bolt. I work on boats for a living in a salt water area. LOTS of frozen bolts. You really think if one breaks off in removal it's on me??? LOL If its tight I use a fire wrench..(oxy/acet) and if it breaks off then...its time and materials to fix it. The dealer could have handled it better, but they are right too. The warranty will not cover corrosion or rust period. The dealer could just have warranteed the cannister and been done with it. But why should they lie for you? People do forget that the dealer is not the warranty company (usually) and is just a middleman in the transaction.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:12 AM

^^ works for a dealer
Old 07-31-2005, 09:11 AM

Bull****!!! The Dumbass that broke the bolt should have know better. He should have called the super and let him know that the bolt is rusted and to advice the customer of this. Take that back and get your $$$ back!
Old 07-31-2005, 01:31 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

take the car back and twll them you want to talk to the manager... then explain what happened and that you need a refund.. screw the dealer they broke it they fix it... free of course. It is like going to Walmart and your kid breaks something expensive , do you think Walmart is going to say.. Ohhh nice Kid don't worry about it..... have a ice day.... my .02
Old 07-31-2005, 03:45 PM

well...i used to work at target and we don't charge anyone for breaking anything... when i was a kid i remember i knocked over an entire shelf of picture frames and light bulbs (on the other side) at kmart and was left standing, and staring at a big mess of glass....the employees didn't make me or my parents do a single thing
Old 07-31-2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
well...i used to work at target and we don't charge anyone for breaking anything... when i was a kid i remember i knocked over an entire shelf of picture frames and light bulbs (on the other side) at kmart and was left standing, and staring at a big mess of glass....the employees didn't make me or my parents do a single thing

hahahaha hahaha
Old 07-31-2005, 10:34 PM

thats sucks
Old 08-01-2005, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by crazy russian
Bull****!!! The Dumbass that broke the bolt should have know better. He should have called the super and let him know that the bolt is rusted and to advice the customer of this. Take that back and get your $$$ back!
yea,i would say if i was notified of the bolt before he broke it i would have removed myself to not break the cannister,but they tried themsleves and made the $170 useless.Somebody elses post said lots of letter writing got dealer to warranty some part that needed replacement.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by KL99SEA
You cannot hold the dealer responsable for a broken bolt. I work on boats for a living in a salt water area. LOTS of frozen bolts. You really think if one breaks off in removal it's on me??? LOL If its tight I use a fire wrench..(oxy/acet) and if it breaks off then...its time and materials to fix it. The dealer could have handled it better, but they are right too. The warranty will not cover corrosion or rust period. The dealer could just have warranteed the cannister and been done with it. But why should they lie for you? People do forget that the dealer is not the warranty company (usually) and is just a middleman in the transaction.

im a tech in a dealer so know about this all too much.

if i feel im going to break something i drop my **** and let the SW know. he tells customer whats going on. customer will be responsible for broken bolts and if he doesnt want to continue we wrap it up.

case in point. i had a crown vic cop car with broken exhaust stud on #8 cyl. being this is a common problem before i even started i told the SW i may break others upon removal. as it turns out the car ended up with 5 out of 8 studs on that head broken. with that many broken we pulled the head to repair them instead of just using an EZ-out. yes....they ended up being responsible for pulling the head instead of the 3 hours to R&R the manifold and EZ out 1 stud.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by slvr2KSE5

im a tech in a dealer.........

if i feel im going to break something i drop my **** and let the SW know. he tells customer whats going on. customer will be responsible for broken bolts and if he doesnt want to continue we wrap it up....

I think thats what makes them liable,in this guys example. The fact the he was never told or given the opportunity to say go ahead with the repair,or dont touch it. Now hes gotta pay $170. Thats a good deal for Nissan though, you pay for the warranty and you pay for the part.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:48 AM

hmm... im also a tech in a dealer.

that evap canister isnt covered under the emissions warranty. only the cat and the PCM. however, it should be covered under your extended warranty. if the bolt was seized to the canister, then the canister was seized to the bolt. they should have replaced the canister under warranty with new bolts.

hey silvr 2K, if you would have done that under warranty, the owner of the car wouldnt have paid you to R+I that cylinder head, WARRANTY would have paid you.

...enjoy
Old 08-02-2005, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
hmm... im also a tech in a dealer.

that evap canister isnt covered under the emissions warranty. only the cat and the PCM. however, it should be covered under your extended warranty. if the bolt was seized to the canister, then the canister was seized to the bolt. they should have replaced the canister under warranty with new bolts.

hey silvr 2K, if you would have done that under warranty, the owner of the car wouldnt have paid you to R+I that cylinder head, WARRANTY would have paid you.

...enjoy

it was CP. car had about 70k miles on it.

actually it was fleet care. kinda half warranty.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:31 AM

yes, controlled billing

i know all about the QFC