5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

State inspection

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Driving is the next best thing

State inspection

I brought my car to a local repair shop for the state inspection, but what they told me is that my battery was unplugged not a long time ago and that the ECU is still running tests on the engine, which means inspection can not be done. Next week I was back to get that state inspection done, but instead, I am getting exactly the same answer. I have driven 400 miles this week. I bought the car on July 2nd and have never unplugged the battery.

Any idea about what the problem might be?
Old 08-05-2005, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
I brought my car to a local repair shop for the state inspection, but what they told me is that my battery was unplugged not a long time ago and that the ECU is still running tests on the engine, which means inspection can not be done. Next week I am back to get that state inspection done, but instead, I am getting exactly the same answer. I have driven 400 miles this week. I bought the car on July 2nd and have never unplugged the battery.

Any idea about what the problem might be?
they aren't bull sh!ting you, there ate many computer monitoring systems in your car,the computers need to run through a series of test after the computers have been cleared (unpluging battery),the new state inspections only rely on these computer monitoris to pass your inspection, no need for dyno's anymore, to re program these monitors you have to drive a certain way 65mph for atleast 15 mins without going over or under this mph aswell as other speeds ,stop and go exc..., but im sure you have established these qualifications with your 400 miles, i would bring it down to Nissan to get the inspection now, if there is something wrong, they will have to fix it under warrantee. good luck
Old 08-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

basically, you need to set the 'ready status' for several parameters in the PCM. if a part is about to fail, or not performing like it should, the ready status wont set for that category (pre cat o2 sensor ready status, for example). let me try and find more info on helping set the trips...
Old 08-06-2005, 08:08 AM

basic info, you need to find out which test isnt setting a ready flag.

System Readiness Test (SRT) code is specified in Mode 1 of SAE J1979.

As part of an enhanced emissions test for Inspection & Maintenance (I/M), certain states require the status of SRT be used to indicate whether the ECM has completed self-diagnosis of major emission systems and components. Completion must be verified in order for the emissions inspection to proceed.

If a vehicle is rejected for a State emissions inspection due to one or more SRT items indicating "INCMP", use the information provided here to set the SRT to "CMPLT".

In most cases the ECM will automatically complete its self-diagnosis cycle during normal usage, and the SRT status will indicate "CMPLT" for each application system. Once set as "CMPLT", the SRT status remains "CMPLT" until the self-diagnosis memory is erased.

Occasionally certain portions of the self-diagnostic test may not be completed as a result of the customer's normal driving pattern; the SRT will indicate "INCMP" for these items.

NOTE: The SRT will also indicate "INCMP" if the self-diagnosis memory is erased for any reason or if the ECM memory power supply is interrupted for several hours.

If, during the state emissions inspection, the SRT indicates "CMPLT" for all test items, the inspector will continue with the emissions test. However, if the SRT indicates "INCMP" for one or more of the SRT items the vehicle is returned to the customer untested.

NOTE: If MIL is "ON" during the state emissions inspection, the vehicle is also returned to the customer untested even though the SRT indicates "CMPLT" for all test items. Therefore, it is important to check SRT ("CMPLT") and DTC (No DTCs) before the inspection.

SRT Item

SRT Set Timing
SRT is set as "CMPLT" after self-diagnosis has been performed one or more times. Completion of SRT is done regardless of whether the result is OK or NG. The set timing is different between OK and NG results and is shown in the table.

When all SRT related self-diagnoses showed OK results in a single cycle (Ignition OFF-ON-OFF), the SRT will indicate "CMPLT". -> Case 1 above

When all SRT related self-diagnoses showed OK results through several different cycles, the SRT will indicate "CMPLT" at the time the respective self-diagnoses have at least one OK result. -> Case 2 above

If one or more SRT related self-diagnoses showed NG results in 2 consecutive cycles, the SRT will also indicate "CMPLT". -> Case 3 above

The table above shows that the minimum number of cycles for setting SRT as "INCMP" is one (1) for each self-diagnosis (Case 1 & 2) or two (2) for one of self-diagnoses (Case 3). However, in preparation for the state emissions inspection, it is unnecessary of each self-diagnosis to be executed twice (Case 3) for the following reasons:

The SRT will indicate "CMPLT" at the time the respective self-diagnoses have one (1) OK result.
The emissions inspection requires "CMPLT" of the SRT only with OK self-diagnosis results.
When, during SRT driving pattern, 1st trip DTC (NG) is detected prior to "CMPLT" of SRT, the self-diagnosis memory must be erased from ECM after repair.
If the 1st trip DTC is erased, all the SRT will indicate "INCMP".
NOTE: SRT can be set as "CMPLT" together with the DTC(s). Therefore, DTC check must always be carried out prior to the state emission inspection even though the SRT indicates "CMPLT".

SRT Service Procedure
If a vehicle has failed the state emissions inspection due to one or more SRT items indicating "INCMP", review the flowchart diagnostic sequence.

How to Display SRT Code

With CONSULT-II
Selecting "SRT STATUS" in "DTC CONFIRMATION" mode with CONSULT-II.

For items whose SRT codes are set, a "CMPLT" is displayed on the CONSULT-II screen; for items whose SRT codes are not set, "INCMP" is displayed.

With GST
Selecting Mode 1 with GST (Generic Scan Tool)

A sample of CONSULT-II display for SRT code is as shown.
"INCMP" means the self-diagnosis is incomplete and SRT is not set. "CMPLT" means the self-diagnosis is complete and SRT is set.

How to Set SRT Code
To set all SRT codes, self-diagnosis for the items indicated above must be performed one or more times. Each diagnosis may require a long period of actual driving under various conditions.

With CONSULT-II
Perform corresponding DTC Confirmation Procedure one by one based on "Performance Priority".

Without CONSULT-II
The most efficient driving pattern in which SRT codes can be properly set is explained in Driving Patterns 1, 2, 3 & 4. The driving pattern should be performed one or more times to set all SRT codes.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:09 AM

more 132456

The time required for each diagnosis varies with road surface conditions, weather, altitude, individual driving habits, etc.
Zone A refers to the range where the time required, for the diagnosis under normal conditions*, is the shortest.

Zone B refers to the range where the diagnosis can still be performed if the diagnosis is not completed within zone A.

*: Normal conditions refer to the following:

Sea level
Flat road
Ambient air temperature: 20 - 30 °C (68 - 86 °F)
Diagnosis is performed as quickly as possible under normal conditions. Under different conditions [For example: ambient air temperature other than 20 - 30 °C (68 - 86 °F) ], diagnosis may also be performed.
Pattern 1:

The engine is started at the engine coolant temperature of -10 to 35 °C (14 to 95 °F) (where the voltage between the ECM terminal 93 and ground is 3.0 - 4.3 V ).
The engine must be operated at idle speed until the engine coolant temperature is greater than 70 °C (158 °F) (where the voltage between the ECM terminal 93 and ground is lower than 1.4 V ).
The engine is started at the fuel tank temperature of warmer than 0 °C (32 °F) (where the voltage between the ECM terminal 75 and ground is less than 4.1 V ).
Pattern 2:

When steady-state driving is performed again even after it is interrupted, each diagnosis can be conducted. In this case, the time required for diagnosis may be extended.
Pattern 3:

The driving pattern outlined in *2 must be repeated at least 3 times.
Pattern 4:

Tests are performed after the engine has been operated for at least 17 minutes .
The accelerator pedal must be held very steady during steady-state driving.
If the accelerator pedal is moved, the test must be conducted all over again.
*1: Depress the accelerator pedal until vehicle speed is 90 KPH (56 MPH) , then release the accelerator pedal and keep it released for more than 10 seconds . Depress the accelerator pedal until vehicle speed is 90 KPH (56 MPH) again.

*2: Operate the vehicle in the following driving pattern.

Decelerate vehicle to 0 KPH (0 MPH) and let engine idle.
Repeat driving pattern shown at least 10 times.
During acceleration, hold the accelerator pedal as steady as possible.

*3: Checking the vehicle speed with GST is advised.

Suggested Transmission Gear Position for A/T Models
Set the selector lever in the "D" position with the overdrive switch turned ON.

Suggested upshift speeds for M/T models
Shown are suggested vehicle speeds for shifting into a higher gear. These suggestions relate to fuel economy and vehicle performance. Actual upshift speeds will vary according to road conditions, the weather and individual driving habits.

Suggested Maximum Speed in Each Gear
Downshift to a lower gear if the engine is not running smoothly, or if you need to accelerate.

Do not exceed the maximum suggested speed (shown) in any gear. For level road driving, use the highest gear suggested for that speed. Always observe posted speed limits and drive according to the road conditions to ensure safe operation. Do not over-rev the engine when shifting to a lower gear as it may cause engine damage or loss of vehicle control.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:11 AM

basically its not how much youre driving it, its how youre driving it
Old 08-06-2005, 04:24 PM

Thanks, now I got a much better understanding of what is going on.

BewstAdd1ct, where did you find this info?
Old 08-06-2005, 05:20 PM

online service manual... that and im ASE master certified, SUN certified emissions analyzer, etc, etc... the above is pretty much directly from nissan.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:52 PM

today I took my car to the dealership. After $100 diagnostics fee they told me that rear O2 censor and all 6 ignition coils have to be changed.

Why do all 6 coils have to be changed at the same time?

How harmful is it for the engine if I do not replace them?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:38 PM

you may have a misfire on one cylinder due to one coil failure, but rather than replace just one, and then have you come back possibly next week for the next one, and chew their ear off for 'not fixing the problem', they just take care of all six at the same time. driving around with a misfire can cause early catalyst failure, and if bad enough, can cause a fire. its bad for gas mileage, you wont pass emissions, etc.

labor for one coil is 1.0 and addional coils shouldnt be more than .2 each. honestly, i wouldnt pay more than 1.5 for labor on 6 coils.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:52 PM

Just got my hands on ODBII scanner which gave me this: PO171, which as far as I know means fuel system problems.

Can anyone relate it to what dealership told me?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:31 PM

its lean code for bank 1. its probably why theyre replacing the o2 sensor, the coils are for the misfire you mentioned, im guessing.