5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

auto change to manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2001, 03:05 PM

is it possible to change the transmission from automatic to manual?? if so about how much is it??

or should i just get that protorque thing??
Old 05-25-2001, 03:18 PM

Possible but its gotta be cost prohibitive. Go for a VB upgrade and the protorque torque converter and a tranny cooler.
Old 05-25-2001, 03:41 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by punkdork
Possible but its gotta be cost prohibitive. Go for a VB upgrade and the protorque torque converter and a tranny cooler.
I agree...there is just too much stuff that would have to be done to swap trannys
Old 05-25-2001, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by punkdork
huh wut and wut??
vb, tranny cooler?? i know a lil bout the protorque thing....but not too much

punkdork i thought u were amateur....beginner....yeh right
Old 05-25-2001, 03:59 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by crzyballa33

huh wut and wut??
vb, tranny cooler?? i know a lil bout the protorque thing....but not too much

VB mod = valve body modification. Basically, tunes the valve body in the tranny to allow faster, quicker shifts. Slipping is elminated and tranny will eventually last longer.

Tranny Cooler = A radiator-like cooler for the transmission fluid. You need to get this if you have your VB recalibrated. The VB will make for faster shifts and your tranny fluid will run hotter. Heat is very bad for a transmission. The tranny cooler will keep the fluid at a lower temp. You can get this even without the VB mod.

TC = Torque Converter. Your auto has this already, but a stronger TC will increase your stall speed and transfer more power from engine to drivetrain. You will be able to get better launches and will lose less power than you would with your stock tranny.

Kev - perhaps something like this could be added to the new FAQ you are working on.
Old 05-25-2001, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by crzyballa33
Hehe... amateur in what sense of the word? I've only been into cars since I got my max (3/00) I have just followed all the buzzwords on the site. The only mod I could do of those listed would be the tranny cooler.
Old 05-25-2001, 04:58 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

Kev - perhaps something like this could be added to the new FAQ you are working on.
Noted... and added to ours.
Old 05-25-2001, 05:43 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Noted... and added to ours.
cool, cool.....
Old 05-25-2001, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

VB mod = valve body modification. Basically, tunes the valve body in the tranny to allow faster, quicker shifts. Slipping is elminated and tranny will eventually last longer.

Tranny Cooler = A radiator-like cooler for the transmission fluid. You need to get this if you have your VB recalibrated. The VB will make for faster shifts and your tranny fluid will run hotter. Heat is very bad for a transmission. The tranny cooler will keep the fluid at a lower temp. You can get this even without the VB mod.

TC = Torque Converter. Your auto has this already, but a stronger TC will increase your stall speed and transfer more power from engine to drivetrain. You will be able to get better launches and will lose less power than you would with your stock tranny.

where do i go to find all this stuff?? wow....then i gotta do the stillen y-pipe, cat intake, courtesy fstb, and rsb....my wallet will be empty for a while
Old 05-25-2001, 06:11 PM
Got Bent?

-Don in Texas does the VB mod for like $450.

-You can get a tranny cooler at pep-boys for like $40. Install isn't too bad.....I am thinking of doing this myself soon.

-Better TCs are made by Protorque and LevelTen. From what I hear they are the same TC, but level ten puts their name on it and charges more....

I hear ya about the wallet though..... it has a tendency to get very sad

\
Old 05-26-2001, 09:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
[B]

How much would it cost to have all that done? and where and how would i get all of it done??

thanks rino