5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stock clutch pedal supposed to be this hard???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Sports Button FTW

Stock clutch pedal supposed to be this hard???

I'm not happy with the feel of my clutch pedal at all. Although no slipping is there and tranny sounds and feels its best, my pedal is quickly handicapping me. I've driven in ACT stage II cars, spec, and other aftermarket clutched maxima's. Heck, one of my best friends also has a 96 5 speed with stock clutch. The engagement is much lower and much easier on the foot than mine. What gives? I am planning to do a clutch line bleed to get rid of any air in the lines but the fluid never moves. I never had to refill in the 6 months of owning the car, but the hard clutch has almost always been there. Didnt make anything of it cause it wasnt as bad as other cars i used to drive but when i drive other cars now, i realize i have been in h3ll.

Key questions: Is everyone happy with their stock clutch pedal? the feel? the amount of work needed to push it down? the point of engagement? can any of this be changed? if so any harmful effects to the clutch?

Also my hood doesnt open and i hear my cable is bad. When pulling up the lid, there's no restriction whatsoever. Before i order the part, just wondering if anyone knew the things i should look out for. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:10 AM
brotherhood of tq

u need to stop b1tchin fool, i drove it and i wish my clutch was like urs
Old 09-13-2005, 09:31 AM
DONE

i miss my stock clutch. i just put in a spec stage 2 and i want the feel of my stocker back
Old 09-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Bigger than Jesus

I do feel the same about my clutch engagement but I am used to it now. Here is a thread about changing the height of the clutch pedal. I haven't tried it but am tempted to sometime down the road.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=255148
Old 09-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
u need to stop b1tchin fool, i drove it and i wish my clutch was like urs
my clutch is @ss as hell, trust that you'll burn it in a month the way it is. It also feels mad g@y when other people mess with it and it takes a few shifts for it to get back to normal....dam non driving aftermarket clutch owners
Old 09-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Need A Light?

Mecca,

I don't know if this applies to u...but my 2k2 stock clutch is pretty stiff for a stock clutch...I've driven a few hondas and their clutch is way softer than ours....and one of my best friend's has a scion tC...his clutch is definitely softer than mine, but it engages right off the bat....I noticed maxima clutches don't engage right off the bat and engage towards the middle or about 3/4ths up
Old 09-14-2005, 03:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by steven88
Mecca,

I don't know if this applies to u...but my 2k2 stock clutch is pretty stiff for a stock clutch...I've driven a few hondas and their clutch is way softer than ours....and one of my best friend's has a scion tC...his clutch is definitely softer than mine, but it engages right off the bat....I noticed maxima clutches don't engage right off the bat and engage towards the middle or about 3/4ths up
to what he said.... the 2002 stock clutch is really stiff and engagement is high... mine is like that, and when I tried Soonerfan's it was the same too.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:51 AM
Sports Button FTW

i feel u guys that some cars are better than others but my boys 96 maxima feels good as h3ll. He has stock clutch and the pedal takes no strain to go down for one, and two, it engages very low. Its a maxima clutch and still feels this good. Also liquidvenom (the guy that posted up top) has an aftermarket clutch and its even softer than my friends maxima. Much MUCH different feel. I would love to drive his car all day. Mine on the other hand, i would only like to race with just so i can make quick shifts and not pop my dam knee trying to get it down and control it back up.

Honda's, and other cars out there i know will have better feeling clutches but i also know a ton of maxima's with better feel than mine as well. Hell, even my friend with a turbo charged 95 beige maxima has an act clutch STAGE F'ing TWO and the pedal is so dam light, its ridiculous. I'm bleeding my lines and going to see what else can be done.

One thing i see in common with the best two clutch maxima's i drove is that they both have aftermarket or lightened flywheels but still...my boy with the 96 doesnt, he's completely stock and still has a great feeling

Matter of fact, before buying my car, i drove a black SE 5 speed with 80k miles in Jamaica, NY at a lot and even that pedal felt better than mine. Upon entering and doing the first shift or two, u think that the feel is normal cause u havent shifted in a minute but after a few minutes driving or going from a nice feel to my car, u can tell there is a problem.

Anybody in east coast want to help me bleed my lines and help me wit that pedal adjustment?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by meccanoble
i feel u guys that some cars are better than others but my boys 96 maxima feels good as h3ll. He has stock clutch and the pedal takes no strain to go down for one, and two, it engages very low. Its a maxima clutch and still feels this good. Also liquidvenom (the guy that posted up top) has an aftermarket clutch and its even softer than my friends maxima. Much MUCH different feel. I would love to drive his car all day. Mine on the other hand, i would only like to race with just so i can make quick shifts and not pop my dam knee trying to get it down and control it back up.

Honda's, and other cars out there i know will have better feeling clutches but i also know a ton of maxima's with better feel than mine as well. Hell, even my friend with a turbo charged 95 beige maxima has an act clutch STAGE F'ing TWO and the pedal is so dam light, its ridiculous. I'm bleeding my lines and going to see what else can be done.

One thing i see in common with the best two clutch maxima's i drove is that they both have aftermarket or lightened flywheels but still...my boy with the 96 doesnt, he's completely stock and still has a great feeling

Matter of fact, before buying my car, i drove a black SE 5 speed with 80k miles in Jamaica, NY at a lot and even that pedal felt better than mine. Upon entering and doing the first shift or two, u think that the feel is normal cause u havent shifted in a minute but after a few minutes driving or going from a nice feel to my car, u can tell there is a problem.

Anybody in east coast want to help me bleed my lines and help me wit that pedal adjustment?
Damn mecca, if you think that an ACT STAGE 2 feels waay softer than your current oem clutch...then something is definitely wrong...I mean I've driven two cars that have stage 2 clutchs...my old maxima had ACT2 and my friend's sr20det s13 with APS2...both are STIFF as he11 compared to ANY kind of oem clutch...so if your current clutch feels stiffer than an aftermarket clutch...then
Old 09-14-2005, 11:41 AM

Can someone post this in the forum since I am not able to? Sorry to crap in this thread:

"
I have a 72k 2002 car (very high mileage) and just today it started "slipping" in first and second gear - that is, from 3000-6000 rpms the car revs fast but doesn't respond accordingly with regard to acceleration.

The same goes for 2nd and 3rd gear.

I have only had the car for 1k miles but I doubt the tranny fluid has been changed ever since I have virtually all service records.

What should I do first?
"
Old 09-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know, mine feels really good though. I need to change it soon (putting in a SPEC Stage I), it's getting pretty slippy.

I felt a 4th gen with (presumably) the Key Value clutch, along with another 4th gen with an ACT Stage I shortly afterward, and mine was somewhere in-between those two in stiffness. This was just feeling the pedal stiffness with the car sitting with the engine off though, I don't know how it performed with gear shifting.

Back when I felt those 4th gens' clutch pedals, my clutch wasn't quite as slippy as it is now, FYI.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by steven88
Damn mecca, if you think that an ACT STAGE 2 feels waay softer than your current oem clutch...then something is definitely wrong...I mean I've driven two cars that have stage 2 clutchs...my old maxima had ACT2 and my friend's sr20det s13 with APS2...both are STIFF as he11 compared to ANY kind of oem clutch...so if your current clutch feels stiffer than an aftermarket clutch...then
yea its that friggin hard. Is there anyone in the north east that can help me with this? i dont mind paying at all, i just dont want to go to nissan and have them tell me that its supposed to be like that. I went to a few shops and let them test drive and they say the car runs great, clutch feels perfect, blah blah blah....i need another maxima to compare with.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Originally Posted by meccanoble
I'm not happy with the feel of my clutch pedal at all. Although no slipping is there and tranny sounds and feels its best, my pedal is quickly handicapping me. I've driven in ACT stage II cars, spec, and other aftermarket clutched maxima's. Heck, one of my best friends also has a 96 5 speed with stock clutch. The engagement is much lower and much easier on the foot than mine. What gives? I am planning to do a clutch line bleed to get rid of any air in the lines but the fluid never moves. I never had to refill in the 6 months of owning the car, but the hard clutch has almost always been there. Didnt make anything of it cause it wasnt as bad as other cars i used to drive but when i drive other cars now, i realize i have been in h3ll.

Key questions: Is everyone happy with their stock clutch pedal? the feel? the amount of work needed to push it down? the point of engagement? can any of this be changed? if so any harmful effects to the clutch?

Also my hood doesnt open and i hear my cable is bad. When pulling up the lid, there's no restriction whatsoever. Before i order the part, just wondering if anyone knew the things i should look out for. Thanks in advance.

oh well, that’s the kind of clutch they put in maxima. Really did not like it before, but got used to it, and now I don’t really care about my clutch being stiff.